Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
La fata illa Ali

Struggles Of The Toronto Shia Community

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Just to keep you guys up to date and for anyone that is interested.

ISIJ of toronto is trying to re-zone some land for building developments and is facing some stiff resistance. Please keep this community in your duas for success. Insha'Allah.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/debate-on-muslim-group-s-development-plans-draws-a-crowd-1.1671290

Debate on Muslim group's development plans draws a crowd

image.jpg
tvePlayIcon_hover.png

image.jpg
A routine development meeting in Vaughan drew a huge crowd over a proposed urban village geared towards the Muslim community.

CTV Toronto
Published Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:44AM EST

Vaughan city council chambers and two overflow rooms were packed last night, for a lively debate about plans for an 'urban village' in the heart of Thornhill Woods, a suburb north of Toronto.

The unusually high turnout -- for what was an otherwise routine public planning meeting -- was spurred by a religious undercurrent.

That's because the development proposal comes from a Muslim community organization that already operates the Jaffari Centre mosque on the 30-acre site in the longtime predominantly Jewish area.

Photos

image.jpg

The Jaffari Centre at 9000 Bathurst St in Thornhill Woods is seen.

The Islamic Shia Ithna Asheri Jamaat (ISIJ) would like to build two 17-storey towers and more than 60 townhouses, including retail space, condominiums and assisted living facilities for seniors, at their location on Bathurst Street south of Rutherford Road.

The development will be geared toward the Muslim community, they say, but anyone would be welcome.

"It will be open to everybody," developer Shafiq Punjani said. "In fact, it's something that the Ontario law obviously governs. There is a human rights code in place, and we fully intended to live to the letter of the law."

Shabbir Jaffer, who supports the development plans, told CTV Toronto the optics aren't great.

"It looks like it's pitting Jewish people against Muslim people and yet we have a reputation, our particular Muslim community, of being one of the most civic-minded and best, easiest people to get on with," Jaffer said.

But opponents maintain they'd be against the proposal, no matter who was behind it.

Area resident Rom Koubi chairs the Association to Preserve Thornhill Woods, a group that's campaigning against the proposal, says the opposition has nothing to do with religion.

"The new development, whether it was submitted by them or by any other public constructor that would have wanted to build such neighbourhood in our area, we would have objected in exactly the same way," Koubi.

"It had nothing to do with the fact that it's the Jaffari Centre or any other developer in the area."

Concerns about the proposal aired at the meeting Tuesday included site zoning, design, infrastructure and potential impact on local traffic.

I can help with zoning and development ordinances but I'm nowhere near Toronto. From the appearance of the conceptual plans I assume they already have an engineer, but if they need some help PM me. I can address the community concerns if I have more information.

(salam)

From your post, I guess some people want to transfer current eastern Mediterranean themes into North American life.

It is ironic, the Sunni Jihadis make lethal threat against the West, which does include Canada, and people start hassling Shi'a.

Land use type, capacity of infrastructure, aesthetics, and traffic are all valid concerns. Take care of these issues before concluding the opposition is a matter of religious discrimination.

Another thing, years ago I went to this Islamic center. There is a Jewish community center next door. On the site of the Islamic center there was trash left all over the grounds on the lawns and parking areas. The Jewish center's grounds were spotless. To be a good neighbor you must care about your world. Maybe throwing trash around is fine in some parts of the world, but I wouldn't want it in my home. That was a long time ago and hopefully has been resolved by now.

I've been following this and the fact of the matter is since the plans come from a muslim community, there is a lot of opposition. A rather high turnout for routine public meeting on planning? come on! There are no issues with zoning, capacity, etc. These are already according to law. Since its a muslim oriented proposal it gets on peoples nerve, its pure hate thats all. The jewish defence league of Canada is fuelling this hate further by giving out hate speeches. Haters gonna hate.

Haters gonna hate.

Probably, but the mentioned concerns are legitimate. Usually when ethnic hatred is isolated people will deny it. That is why I advise resolving the legitimate concerns rather than getting agitated.

Land use type, capacity of infrastructure, aesthetics, and traffic are all valid concerns. Take care of these issues before concluding the opposition is a matter of religious discrimination.

Another thing, years ago I went to this Islamic center. There is a Jewish community center next door. On the site of the Islamic center there was trash left all over the grounds on the lawns and parking areas. The Jewish center's grounds were spotless. To be a good neighbor you must care about your world. Maybe throwing trash around is fine in some parts of the world, but I wouldn't want it in my home. That was a long time ago and hopefully has been resolved by now.

thats terrible to hear , who was putting the trash in front of Islamic centre?? the jews were putting it?

Edited by Mlle. Advice

thats terrible to hear , who was putting the trash in front of Islamic centre?? the jews were putting it?

No, probably it was a combination of the Muslims carelessly dropping it and some being blown in by wind, but it should have been cleaned up. A busy Islamic center like this one shouldn't suffer from a lack of volunteers.

While I was there I saw a Muslim family dropping trash from their car and not bothering to pick it up. I wish I could assume they didn't notice it, but I saw the driver look at the dropped food wrapper and then drive away.

No, probably it was a combination of the Muslims carelessly dropping it and some being blown in by wind, but it should have been cleaned up. A busy Islamic center like this one shouldn't suffer from a lack of volunteers.

While I was there I saw a Muslim family dropping trash from their car and not bothering to pick it up. I wish I could assume they didn't notice it, but I saw the driver look at the dropped food wrapper and then drive away.

Unfortunately I see this a lot as well, people littering carelessly out side the mosque. It not only looks bad on us but its the house of Allah, have some respect! it makes me so furious. Not to mentions peoples aqhlaq during parking, and all the pushing and shoving when niyaz is being served  :realangery:

Edited by Mushkil Kusha

I sort of derailed the discussion with my litter comment, and for that I apologize. It is an important subject, but not our focus here.

The issue is navigating municipal codes so this exciting project can move forward.

It looks like two things are happening:

1. A Jewish organization is spreading the rumor that these housing units will only be available to Muslims.

2. The residents of the nearby rich neighborhood don't want high density (poor people) housing near them.

The first is really a non-issue unless a majority of the council are sympathetic, but the second is a big deal and will require some major compromises to be made if any part of the property is to be developed.

good deed but the poeple should help the najafi orphans instead,this is why islam should grow in first place, those orphans only eat full in ramathan and muharam, not likewise thoronto muslims

This is a moneymaking venture as much as community outreach. If done right, it can produce millions of dollars which can be donated to orphans or countless other charitable causes.

This is a moneymaking venture as much as community outreach. If done right, it can produce millions of dollars which can be donated to orphans or countless other charitable causes.

The ISIJ have 30 acres of land and a huge center (I've been there) which they are slowly paying off.

This could be an opportunity for them, yeah. Of course a percentage would go to charity.

Edited by Grief

while it's sad to see Muslims behaving this way , I can safely say lots of non-Muslims do this as well. and I wouldn't deny the possibility that some jews could put trash on the mosque to make Muslims look bad. I remember one time at a supermarket an old jewish woman threw a corn stalk at me & ppl saw her and didn't do anything. then she had the nerve to tell the guy I was throwing food on the floor without picking it up! the guy actually approached me & wanted to "teach" me about littering when I told him the truth he didn't believe me!

it was some experience in the "free" usa , land of civilized people :dry:

Cleanliness is half of faith. Most Muslims in the world are only half Muslims (and if they aren't married, then not Muslim at all) :D Or you can say cleanliness is only restricted to personal hygiene and maintaining your house. Public places, well, this is government's job to clean them. So, I will throw everything I like on the streets. I pay taxes.

This is a culture, a mindset. It's about being literate but not educated.

Edited by Marbles

(salam)

The Jewish population in that area is pretty strong as well. They have garnered enough petitions and had a huge turn out in the city-hall council meeting. Let's see how this turns out. The media is of course twisting around words again. The buildings will not be "Muslim-Only", but it will be something like what the Jaffari center already has a bit up north from the mosque, the Jaffari Village. That complex has majority Shi'as, but it isn't "Shia Only". There are people who aren't Shi'a living there as far as I know. But the reason why they get these projects get titled or referred to as "Muslim Buildings" or a "Shia Housing Complex" is because, naturally it is expected that the Shi'as or a Muslim would want to live in these areas.

Wassalam