Sign in to follow this  
rajaa

Anemia

I have developed anemia in pregnancy and am just wondering how long it will take for the iron supplements to kick in....I have been taking them with vit C which I heared helps the body absorb the iron....Does anyone know? Im tired of always feeling lethargic 24/7

Typically a couple days to a week, but maybe as long as a month.

Your body has to absorb the iron, and then incorporate it in new red blood cells (RBCs). The Vit C will help with getting as much absorption as possible, and so will taking it on an empty stomach. Just make sure not to take it with other metals (like Calcium), milk, or caffeine.

You could eat some foods that are rich in iron, like red meat (try to remove as much fat as possible). Our bodies readily absorb the iron in red meat (it's in the right form), but while beans (ex. kidney beans) have a lot of iron, it's not in the right form for usage by the body. The body will either not absorb it or just not use it. That's why Vit C will help. It'll turn the iron to the right form (elemental iron), and that way the body can use it.

Good luck, and don't forget your multivitamins, especially your folate!

Eat the Iranian dish called gheimeh.

Its yellow split pea lentils with beef chunks...squeeze half a lemon on top just before you eat.

Dont eat any calcium when eating this meal. (dark leafy greens have a lot of calcium, as well as the regular milk yogurt etc)

Your iron will skyrocket!

Good luck

Salams, on a side note, i recently read that 1 brussel sprout can have enough folic acid a day, so if youre not keen on suppliments you could look into that. Nuts have iron in and ive read reports before that eating peanuts during pregnancy can reduce the risk of your child having an allergy to them, so might be something to consider.

Eat lots of greens! and red meat! .. Ghorme sabzi helped me a LOT and quickly with my iron deficiency (I believe lol) I just tested my iron levels and in less than 2-3 weeks of eating red meat almost everyday I was feeling the change. The baby takes lots of your nutrients so you have to constantly eat foods rich in vitamins and ur supplements. 

InshAllah you will be all good soon :) 

salaam,

i had Anemia too 2 yrs ago , cuz after I went on diet I lost many weight and was so so thin, but for me it took 1 month for iron to go back up and 2nd month i checked at doctor and it was good , but maybe depends how many milligram you taking right now and how many times a day, for me i had to take 3 times a day at high milligram for 1st month , but this was bad and the doctor was stupid , so i took only 1 each day the 2nd month.

inshAllah you will recover soon

Fee aman Allah

Edited by Mlle. Advice

I had anemia. I use to buy raw spinach leaves, mix them with some olive oil, lemon and salt and stuff my face twice a day.

It worked. I could taste the metal tho, not sure how you'd feel about that.....

Salatit sabanikh? You tasted the metal?

I don't think that's a good sign..

A lot of dark greens have calcium in them and calcium/iron mix of food (dark greens with meat or lentils)is a bad mis for iron absorption as the calcium interferes.

Do not eat the dark leafy greens AT THE SAME TIME as when you are eating the lentils/meat/nuts/seeds etc.

Salam Alikum,

I am currently working in Ob/gyn clinic and i have to deal with plenty of pregnant women (hate it but whatev's). I will explain few things (with Allah's help) you should look out for (you obviously hear them during your ob visits which I hope you are keeping up with) and inshAllah will help others who are pregnant.

Its common to be anemic and you'd be asked to take Iron. Important things: Avoid meat/poultry that is not heated (high risk of Listeria), all meats should be well done. Avoid fish high in mercury (not good for baby or mom). Only eat light tuna and once a week (your ob doc will explain that hopefully). Avoid cat litters (taxoplasmosis). Eat plenty of vegs, fruits.

Contractions can be normal in early pregnancy termed Braxton Hicks contractions. Things to always look for everyday: baby movements, bleeding, loss of fluids and contractions. Keep up with ob visits and screening tests. At 14 weeks doc will offer NT (for Down Syndrome highly recommended). 16-18 wks Quad test (for Neural Tube Defects). At 26-28 weeks Glucose test (to test for Gestational Diabetes), at 36 wks Group B Strep infection. These are the most common ones done during pregnancy, obviously other tests can be done if there are any complications in mother.

These are few things to expect during pregnancy. You can read up more on that and inshAllah your baby will be healthy.