Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
HamzaTR

Philosophy Of Acceptance Of Prophethood & Salawat

Rate this topic

Salam. I have been getting questions from many lately. I will just summarize and list the questions here. Any answer, article, podcast, speech links will be appreciated. So, I can refer the people here in the future. Thanks.

What is Salawat? And what does it mean?

And why Quran 33:56 orders us to send blessings upon the Prophet?

Isn't it to take men of God before God, some kind of idol-worshipping?

Why does God order in Quran to remember Him always, yet Prophets and Saints with Him?

Why should we always send blessings on the Prophet and his progeny? What is the philosophy behind it?

Isn't it idolizing Anbiya (Prophets) and Aimmah (Imams)?

What is the reason of acceptance and remembrance of Prophets and Saints being so important?

And is "remembering" and "worshipping" God without knowing and remembering the messages of Prophets and Saints, that is, "worshipping" God as we like  to worship, but not as God wants to be worshipped legal?

In summary, what is the reason of Prophethood and Sainthood being a principle of faith?

And why does Quran always criticize people, especially Jews, for disbelieving and killing the Prophets?

the reason I am asking is, Jews, and even some Muslims claim that accepting and remembering Prophets and Saints is some kind of idol-worshipping? In other words, either out of trying to legitimize their denial of Prophets and Saints, or out of jealousy (like, why do people remember them but not me? So, I should criticize their "idols" and become their focus.) they do this. I don't know. I just wanted to open a thread on it, so that, you adress this issue (the philosophy of acceptance of Nubuwwah/Prophethood and Imamah/Sainthood and the sicknesses of denying them). And inshaAllah it will help us all. Thanks in advance.

when you think about God in our minds, how can we say that what we think of God that it is precisely God?

we cannot and we cant, and hence we have the attributes of God with which we refer to God the names and attributes of God are our connection with God

and what are the names of God? the most merciful, the most kind, the most loving etc but relative to us, this is how we perceive God, but this is not God, this is only the connection between us and God, He is unique and cannot be comprehended and to say that He is only this or a group this(the names and attributes) would be limiting Him

and hence this is where the names and attributes come in, and it allows us to know Him by them, however we are creatures that we know and understand by example, that even if we knew the names it wouldnt be enough, we need to understand its meaning, and hence why examples are important

and the best example are the Imams and the Prophets, they are the connection with God and us, by their perfection of the soul they serve to remind us and make us recognize God, they are the Hujjat of God the proof of God

see if we didnt have the naems and attributes of God and if we didnt know their meaning, what would we have to even know of a God? the answer wuld be simple and that is the Imams and Prophets, however they are most closest to us because they are also humans and they shown grand amounts of patience and mercy even to the worst enemies of God, hence we know God by them, they are the names of God as there is a hadeeth from the Imams including Imam Ali who says "we are the names of God"

and this which i described above is the meaning to it, the names of God are what we invoke and repeat to remind us of God, and knowing their life we can relate to God and what it means to be merciful

also in the Quran Allah(swt) says that He taught Adam(a.s) the names

Imo, wilayah (I'm not sure if the word "sainthood" implies the same notion) is the only way to tawheed (monotheism or having a true knowledge of God) otherwise you may claim anything and there's no measure to distinguish between right and wrong, don't tell our measure is Qur'an, because if it was so, why do we muslims have such great differences among ourselves (to a point that some groups don't consider the the others muslim) and Qur'an explicitly says somepeople may misuse its ayaat, and be misled by Qur'an.

The only way for humanity to Allah, were prophets and their true successors otherwise we have lost our measure therefore we can't claim Allah's guidance is compeleted.

Be among the people of wilaayah, and be a servant of true Allah swt, be out of wilaayah and be a servant of your imaginary God.

Imo, wilayah (I'm not sure if the word "sainthood" implies the same notion) is the only way to tawheed (monotheism or having a true knowledge of God) otherwise you may claim anything and there's no measure to distinguish between right and wrong, don't tell our measure is Qur'an, because if it was so, why do we muslims have such great differences among ourselves (to a point that some groups don't consider the the others muslim) and Qur'an explicitly says somepeople may misuse its ayaat, and be misled by Qur'an.

The only way for humanity to Allah, were prophets and their true successors otherwise we have lost our measure therefore we can't claim Allah's guidance is compeleted.

Be among the people of wilaayah, and be a servant of true Allah swt, be out of wilaayah and be a servant of your imaginary God.

And appreciating our prophets and Imams and thanking them and praying Allah to give them blessing for doing such a good job of distinguishing the correct way for us, is a very helpful way for remembering how important is following them in every aspect of our life, and is also a good way to remind others so.

And it's completely different from worshiping which is believing in one thing as the independent cause of something in the world. 

هُوَ ٱلَّذِي يُصَلِّي عَلَيۡكُمۡ وَمَلَٰٓئِكَتُهُۥ لِيُخۡرِجَكُم مِّنَ ٱلظُّلُمَٰتِ إِلَى ٱلنُّورِۚ وَكَانَ بِٱلۡمُؤۡمِنِينَ رَحِيمٗا ٤٣

43. He it is Who sends His blessings on you, and (so do) His angels, that He may bring you forth out of utter darkness into the light; and He is Merciful to the believers.

this is a verse in Surah Ahzab which explains the reason of Salavat.

Allah and his send blessing to us who are believers so we would be brought out of darkness into the light.

and when we believers say Salavah we asked God to bring out the prophet and his household out of darkness.

but the question is that prophets and imams are not in darkness sa Allah would bring them out?

the answer is they are. every level of light has a slightly little darkness in comparison with the lower level.

since the level a believer could develop and progress are not limited, always there is darkness  even though you are in the higher level.

and also you know progressing and developing especially for prophets and imams are not blocked after they have died.

therefore we "ask" Allah to bring prophets and his household out of darkness so we ourselves also would be brought out of darkness.

also we can ask for ourselves firstly but because that dua (salavah) is sure accepted so along with them we would be brought out.

give it a thought. :huh:

don't tell our measure is Qur'an, because if it was so, why do we muslims have such great differences among ourselves (to a point that some groups don't consider the the others muslim) and Qur'an explicitly says somepeople may misuse its ayaat, and be misled by Qur'an.

my dear brother appreciate your answer.

but the above quoted sentence would not be so accurate. otherwise we shouldn't or wouldn't have any differences and disagreements among but we sure have.

definitely prophets and imam are our measure and criteria but why we do we still have differences and disagreements?????  

Maybe we are not true Shias of Imam Ali as.

لو اجتمع الناس علی حب علی بن ابیطالب لما خلق الله النار

(salam)

awfully sorry, bro! but I thought I'd better mention a few points, granting that you're mush more knowledge as I see your posts elsewhere, 

maybe, but your criterion must work here, because theologically we know ourselves as his followers and shias so at least we shouldn't have theological conflicts but you see........ !!!!!

secondly Allah wouldn't create hell but I don't find a slightly little  association between these two, you know Allah would send many to heaven even if they have some arguments in this world, probably they have repented, probably Allah has forgiven them, probably Allah tortured them in this world or in barzakh,

beside that this theological conflicts, and who said Allah would send us to hell because of that?????????????????????????????????????????? 

(salam)

Couple of quick notes: "saint" originally meant those who received baptism. During the Dark Ages it became a papal decree.

As to the primary theme of this thread: The Abdullahs and Rasulallahs are examples. The Quran says this explicitly about Muhammad(saws) because he(saws) is the last nabi and what would be recorded in hadith is far more complete than those examples of the earlier ones.

From a sermon I heard when I was little:  " Moses is an example in the problems he faced, Jesus is an example in the problems he faced..."

Fortunately, ahamduallah, we have graded hadith.

Bismillah.

Salaamun Alaykum.

I think we have to take this point into consideration that there should be some sort of connection between Allah and His creatures. Allah appointed Prophets and Imams as His connections. To be connected to them, through means like Salawāt, has a two-side important result; the first result is for the Prophet and Imams; through our Salawāts, they will go higher and higher in spiritual levels – as you know spiritual levels are infinite and limitless and Salawāt is, indeed, praying for them to go higher spiritually– and the second result is for Mu’minīn, through which, they get closer to divine men as their role model and after getting closer to them, they will try their best to become like them in intention and action.

With Duas.

Narsis.

(salam) HamzaTR,

From your original post on this thread, I can determine that you are using the Yusef Ali translation or one similar to it.

Read instead, the Pictall or Shakir translation; or follow-the-verb in arabi.

Only Allah (s.w.t.) "blesses" and the Maliks "repeat" (like a choir echo of what Allah (s.w.t.) says).

We are to repeat these also because like Maliks, we can only repeat. We can originate nothing ourselves much less "bless".

The "Perfect Man" or "the Universal Man" is the model for how we should "Be". The Universal Man "IS". We on the other hand "are not". The Perfect Man is actual, we are potential. Our model for "being" is the Perfect Man. The Perfect Man has fulfilled (Or fulfills) the entire purpose of creation from eternity (by loving and knowing God; therefore being!). The Salawat is us saying that we are capable of loving and becoming loved by God since our model or exemplar is that way. To be is to be loved and to love. Being is Love. Salawat is a way of realizing our great potential for being loved by God and for loving God. It is also a way of realizing our stage of potentiality in the face of the Actuality of the Perfect Man.

(salam)

eThErEal:  You cannot say any one is "perfect" because "perfect" is not defined in the Quran, and secondly, this would set up a rivial to Allah (s.w.t.)

The two examples singled out in the Quran to follow are Muhammad (s.a.w.t.) and Musa (a.s.)

I said perfect human being. Not perfect being or existence as such. Surely God created the human being perfectly!

Part of the Perfection of the Perfect Human or the Universal Man is that he realizes in the most perfect manner his own imperfection in the face of God's Absolute Perfection.

The "Perfect Man" or "the Universal Man" is the model for how we should "Be". The Universal Man "IS". We on the other hand "are not". The Perfect Man is actual, we are potential. Our model for "being" is the Perfect Man. The Perfect Man has fulfilled (Or fulfills) the entire purpose of creation from eternity (by loving and knowing God; therefore being!). The Salawat is us saying that we are capable of loving and becoming loved by God since our model or exemplar is that way. To be is to be loved and to love. Being is Love. Salawat is a way of realizing our great potential for being loved by God and for loving God. It is also a way of realizing our stage of potentiality in the face of the Actuality of the Perfect Man.

(bismillah)

(salam)

I think eThErEaL has described, in a very short and poignant way, who the prophets  (as) are and why we are to bless them.

When we praise Allah te'ala we are seeking His closeness, showing that we believe and trying to stay attuned to the higher realms of existence; we implant His attributes in our hearts and move forward on the way of perfection as human beings. Each praise changes our Nafs ammara a little, and we are a step closer to the purification of our hearts and to what we ultimately should become - a mu'min whose whole being is illuminated by Divine Love.

When we praise prophets  (as) it has nothing to do with worshiping them. By praising them we acknowledge that they are symbols and examples HOW to become what we should be - human beings with hearts illuminated and ablaze with the love of God (swt). We emulate them in our way of life, we live, pray and behave like they did, thus moving forwards to HUMAN perfection. As human intellect is not and never shall be capable of realizing Divine nature, we have been sent the prophets  (as) to have some guideline that we CAN comprehend and follow on our way. 

As all the prophets (as) invariably had to overcome many hardships and difficulties in order to show us directly what faith and perseverance mean in everyday life, we greet them and send our blessings to them, thus showing that we have chosen to follow their path in our life and also honoring them for what they have endured in order to show us the way.

(wasalam)