Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Farsi Language

ThisGirlIr

• Basic Members

Salam all

I wanted to ask what people use for their grandad in farsi? Are there any endearing or sweet words that you use instead of 'pedar bozorg'. That indeed is a very long sort of word to use. Do you have any shorter words that you use personally or cute sounding words that are endearing.

Please do share what you all use. It would be really nice to get some ideas.

Thank you

• Veteran Member

ThisGirllr

Sorry I cannot answer your message because you are a new member. I have the same opinion as Golden Crowned. And by the way, I have never heard anyone say "dada" for calling his grandfather.

Dada is actually Urdu for grandfather.

By the way, it's strange Farsi doesn't have a dedicated word for grandfather and must alter with 'baba' (father) to produce a word suitable for the grandfather.

• Veteran Member

Well, similarly, we can say that English also doesn't have a dedicated word for grandfather because it is grand+father. "Pedarbozorg" is exactly the same: pedar (father)+ bozorg (grand).

However, I agree that Farsi vocabulary is not as rich as those of English and Arabic (but the pronunciation and accent are better).

• Veteran Member

Well, similarly, we can say that English also doesn't have a dedicated word for grandfather because it is grand+father. "Pedarbozorg" is exactly the same: pedar (father)+ bozorg (grand).

This is true. Many languages lack dedicated words for simple relations and things.

For example my mother's brother and my father's brother are both "uncle" to me. All my cousins are just 'cousins'; no special names that could define the relation. Subcontinental languages are very rich in this regard.