Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Adnan77

When Should A Baby Sleep In Her Own Room?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

My daughter is currently 16 months old. Previously, from around 7 - 11 months she used to sleep throughout the night (possibly only waking once for a feed) in her own cot which is in our bedroom.

However, since she turned 1, she insists on sleeping in our bed, and wakes every hour or two for milk, even though she eats 3 solid-food meals a day. This may be due to teething, but I don't think it is, as my wife and I have tried different teething gels and/or powders to no avail.

4/5 months of interrupted sleep is really taking its toll on us and we're considering placing her cot in the spare bedroom and attempting the Cry it Out method of sleep training.

Our question is: Islamically, at what age is it appropriate for a baby to be placed in their own room, and are western sleep training methods permitted?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

As far as I can recall, there is no set age, but letting her cry it out might be a problem. Nonetheless, you have to do what works for your family. A 16 month old certainly can sleep in her own room if parents prefer it, but there is no guarantee they will get more sleep. Look into nighttime weaning methods.

From the beginning, trust me. From day one, let them sleep in their own room. IF you reach an age where they start to cry because they don't feel comfortable being alone, get a chair and sit next to their bed til they fall asleep. Then slowly, day by day, move the chair further and further away until you are out of the room.

Any other advice from Repenters Daddy Day Care center can be emailed to repenter@daddydaycare.com!

Salam

my opinion is that, to let them sleep at that young age alone you will stigmatise their spiritual ,

(love and warmth)  development, remember how our grandfathers did it,

in my view this is an act from the western world, you know the lifestyle of a muslim is to increas love in the heart. IT STARTS FROM THE VERY BEGINNING 

for instance if it is a girl surely you must keep her in your room, to avoid that individualism feeling of independence in her heart, 

there is lots more to talk about, but hope i did make my point,
thank you for being open for advice, respect for that!!