Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How Many Languages Do You Know?

Rate this topic

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is impressive  

That is very impressive! I plan to learn 5, insha'Allah. 

telugu     (read,write,speak) - native/bilingual proficiency   hindi       (read,write,speak) - full working proficiency   urdu       (speak)                  - working proficiency   arabic    (speak,

• Advanced Member

i know Arabic & English but English not my first language. i wish to learn Persian but don't have time right now with my studies.

the most language I hate sooo much is French!!

can't stand it one bit...

I like Spanish it's so easy & fun , also

Portuguese is beautiful , but not French haha

• Advanced Member

i speak Farsi, English, Hazaragi, Dari, very little urdu.. uh thats it for now. I would love to learn Arabic fluently one day.. be omidi khoda. 

• Advanced Member

That's a great aspiration to have.  What are the 5 languages that you want to learn?

Thanks, Akhi. I'll be studying Arabic and Farsi for the next few years at University and then after that I'd like to learn Urdu, Spanish and French, insha'Allah. So I guess it would be 6 including good ol' InGrishhh.

Could of known Portuguese and Spanish by now but my parents didn't teach me :cry:

What about yourself?

• Veteran Member

I can read/write english and farsi. I took 3 years of spanish in high school. I know little basics of french. I can slowly but surely read arabic (I HAVE to learn how to read it fluently at the very least). I am starting to learn japanese (just know basics words for now). I wanted to learn french fluently but espanol took over in the states so I thought it was wise to earn spanish instead :P Oh and I know like one or two words in russain/chinese/korean loooool  XD

• Advanced Member

I speak Spanish and English. Next is Arabic which I learn quiet fast because I love it, then Farsi and if I have the brain for more I would like to learn French because it's easy :)

Edited by katyushka
  • Moderators

Urdu, English, Punjabi, Fortran, Foxpro, Basic, C language, Pashto, Arabic, German, French, Turkish :D :D :D :D

Wow! I studied Fortran and basic at some point in my life, but can't hold a conversation in them anymore if I ever could.

• Veteran Member

Might someone briefly sum up what's in the video I cannot see, pray?

Btw, I am advanced user of English, Urdu, Saraiki and Punjabi.  Add Hindi to the list if knowledge of Devanagari script (which I can mostly decipher) makes it a separate language from Urdu (which it does).

So five already, eh?

My 5 are English, Arabic, Persian, Urdu, and French.

Since you're a Pakistani I thought you knew enough Urdu :donno:

Anyway, I also aspire to learn the same set of five. I'm already fluent in 2 and know basics of Farsi. Arabic I can read fluently which is a big help. So all I need is to start learning grammar. I want to learn classical Arabic so I can read old texts directly.

the most language I hate sooo much is French!!
can't stand it one bit...

French is sweet and sonorous just like Farsi!

i speak Farsi, English, Hazaragi, Dari, very little urdu.. uh thats it for now. I would love to learn Arabic fluently one day.. be omidi khoda. 

What's the difference between Hazargi and Dari?

I speak English and can read Arabic for the Qur'an.  I really want to learn Urdu.

Aap Urdu kyun seekhna chahti hain?

Me too, but my Arabic is not good. I can understand a few words in a lot of languages, but am only able to converse in English.

I always wonder what it feels to be monolingual in an increasingly multilingual world. I think native English speakers are the biggest losers of their language's international reach in that they have no compulsions to learn other languages.

Edited by Marbles
  • Veteran Member

There is a lot of differences. 

Would you please explain the differences?

I dont know any language very well. Little bit of this and that. I am whatever the opposite of a polyglot is.

You mean other than English, of course?

• Veteran Member

No - English is not great - but I work at it and someday it will be.

Oh it is already great! You're an advanced user of the language. But if you insist on competing with Samuel Johnson or William Shakespeare or Marbles...then good luck :P

Edited by Marbles
  • Moderators

I always wonder what it feels to be monolingual in an increasingly multilingual world. I think native English speakers are the biggest losers of their language's international reach in that they have no compulsions to learn other languages.

Most of the time it isn't an issue, but I do wonder if monolinguals like me are less capable of thought than polylinguals. Different languages use different ways of thinking, and that must be good for the brain.

But in spite of my wish to learn several languages, it isn't a need so it keeps getting pushed to the bottom of my to-do list. My 2-year-old speaks a little Spanish and French that she has learned from children in her day care. I should ask her to teach me Spanish - that's the one language besides English that might actually be useful to me.

• Advanced Member

Aap Urdu kyun seekhna chahti hain?

Mujhe urdu achi lagti hain aur main ek din pakistani jana chahti hoon.  Mujhe pasand culture ki Pakistan hai (yeh theek hai?  meri urdu kharaab hai)...Lakan baas (correct?), serf English abhi...Forum rules!

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I speak pashto, urdu, and english. I love to be able to speak farsi fluently one day.

Mujhe urdu achi lagti hain aur main ek din pakistani jana chahti hoon.  Mujhe pasand culture ki Pakistan hai (yeh theek hai?  meri urdu kharaab hai)...Lakan baas (correct?), serf English abhi...Forum rules!

Apki Urdu ko ICU ki ashad zaroorat hy.

• Advanced Member

As a person of Lebanese origin I'm a crying shame, most Lebanese people know minimum 3 languages. English, Arabic and French. I only know English and Arabic, and my classical Arabic is horrendous. 

I would love to learn Farsi, mainly because it just sounds so beautiful and romantic!! And Spanish mainly because its a plus in the American job market. 

• Veteran Member

Excellent try. You can learn it quickly. Kudos!

• Veteran Member

Different languages use different ways of thinking, and that must be good for the brain.

Culture is a collection of ways in which people express their values, attitudes, behaviours, emotions and beliefs. And language is culture.

• Moderators

Culture is a collection of ways in which people express their values, attitudes, behaviours, emotions and beliefs. And language is culture.

Ah! So that must be why I've always been a misfit - I talk funny: too hillbilly for intellectuals and too "bookish" for hillbillies, plus my accent is a strange private school backwoods semi-southern hybrid that no matter where I am, I sound like I'm from somewhere else.

Nonetheless, without words to express, ideas are lost; what matters in a society is what makes the vocabulary.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Ah! So that must be why I've always been a misfit - I talk funny: too hillbilly for intellectuals and too "bookish" for hillbillies, plus my accent is a strange private school backwoods semi-southern hybrid that no matter where I am, I sound like I'm from somewhere else.

I'm exactly the same, except different types mixed. There are quite a few people like this that I know as well.

(wasalam)

• Veteran Member

telugu     (read,write,speak) - native/bilingual proficiency

hindi       (read,write,speak) - full working proficiency

urdu       (speak)                  - working proficiency

arabic    (speak,read,write)  - working proficiency   {inshaAllah in a couple of months}

english  (read,write,speak) - full working proficiency

We have a native Telugu-speaking Shia on SC! Cool :)

Your next task should be read and write Urdu. You won't regret it.

• Veteran Member

Thanks, Akhi. I'll be studying Arabic and Farsi for the next few years at University and then after that I'd like to learn Urdu, Spanish and French, insha'Allah. So I guess it would be 6 including good ol' InGrishhh.

Could of known Portuguese and Spanish by now but my parents didn't teach me :cry:

What about yourself?

Good stuff,  My aim is to know 5 - English, Arabic, Latin, German and French.  I did 5yrs of German at school and 2yrs of french, but have forgotten nearly everything.  If I was to live another couple of hundred years I would add farsi, japanese, ancient greek and a few others to the list. 

Edited by .InshAllah.