Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Angry Birds = Spy Birds

Rate this topic

5a49

US and British spies 'get personal data from Angry Birds'

US and British spy agencies routinely try to gain access to personal data from Angry Birds and other mobile applications, a report says.

A National Security Agency (NSA) document shows location, websites visited and contacts are among the data targeted from mobile applications.

It is the latest revelation from documents leaked by Edward Snowden.

In a statement, the NSA said it was not interested in data beyond "valid foreign intelligence targets".

"Any implication that NSA's foreign intelligence collection is focused on the smartphone or social media communications of everyday Americans is not true," the statement said.

'Golden nugget'

The report, published by the New York Times, ProPublica and the Guardian, says the NSA and Britain's GCHQ have worked together since 2007 to develop ways to gain access to information from applications for mobile phones and tablets.

The scale of data gathering is unclear.

But the reports suggest data is gained from a variety of mapping, gaming and social networking applications, using techniques similar to the ones used to intercept mobile internet traffic and text message data.

The documents also reveal the two agencies are increasingly convinced of the importance of mobile applications data.

The joint spying programme "effectively means that anyone using Google Maps on a smartphone is working in support of a GCHQ system" one 2008 document from the British intelligence agency is quoted as saying.

Another GCHQ report, in 2012, laid out how to extract information from Angry Birds user information from phones on the Android operating system. The game has been downloaded 1.7 billion times across the world.

The British spy agency said it would not comment on intelligence matters, but insisted that all of its activities were "authorised, necessary and proportionate".

Another NSA document described a "golden nugget" - a perfect scenario where NSA analysts could get broad selections of information from the applications, including networks the phone had connected to, documents downloaded, websites visited and "buddy lists".

Other applications mentioned by the documents include the photo-sharing site Flickr, movie-based social network Flixster and applications that connect to Facebook.

Developers are responsible for the information generated from each application, but there was no suggestion firms were actively agreeing to give the spy agencies data.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25922569

• Veteran Member

What this country needs are some really "Angry Nerds" to go after these peeping-Tom sobs.

Here's an idea. Collect the phone numbers of several illegal aliens. Fly to Yemen. Call each of these numbers and say something short, like: "get the bombs ready to go".  :donno: :shaytan:

We can call it: Operation: Witch Hunt  :dry:

Remember the old American Express credit card commercial: "don't leave home without it"?

So do the opposite with your cell and pad. Park you car a little further away from your destination and walk. Use cash. Wear hats...like the kind you can pop inside-out to change color and logo.

• Veteran Member

What this country needs are some really "Angry Nerds" to go after these peeping-Tom sobs.

Here's an idea. Collect the phone numbers of several illegal aliens. Fly to Yemen. Call each of these numbers and say something short, like: "get the bombs ready to go".  :donno: :shaytan:

We can call it: Operation: Witch Hunt  :dry:

Remember the old American Express credit card commercial: "don't leave home without it"?

So do the opposite with your cell and pad. Park you car a little further away from your destination and walk. Use cash. Wear hats...like the kind you can pop inside-out to change color and logo.

You do realise a team of about a dozen or so NSA analysts is currently reading this thread meticulously and decoding the subtle hints sedulously.

Edited by Marbles

• Veteran Member

NotMe:  I do not know about an "American" professor, but a sociologist in Germany was arrested for this. I saw it about 2 weeks ago on DW.DE I think.

Marbles: that is the idea...it relieves their boredom...read what a kind person I is?

HellHound: I think it was them who were reading and photographing my homemade bumper sticker.

.                  The sticker reads: "Save the Snowman. Stop Global Warming"

.                   We are having "artic"/"polar vortex" weather right now.

.                    It's about Noon, Thursday and the temperature is 17 Fahrenheit degrees.

Edited by hasanhh

• Moderators

But imagine the cost to the American taxpayer! I'm the most boring person in the world and I have nothing to hide. If they want to spy on me, let them, I don't care, but don't make me pay for it!

I'd rather my taxes go to underfunded items like infrastructure, research, education, and poverty abatement.

Edit: since I can't remember the details of the man being detained for turning off his phone, I might have been mistaken.

Edited by notme

• Moderators

And war....whether you like it or not.

A standing militia is specified in the constitution. But they don't need nearly the amount of money that they get. If they had to raise their own funds, maybe the government wouldn't be so eager to meddle in affairs that don't concern us.