Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Al-Hassan

Astral Projection. What Do You Think About It?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have noticed that topics related to Astral projection or out of body experience and Lucid dreaming are hardly touched upon here. What do you think about it? Does anyone have experience on this field? I find it quite interesting, and scary at  same time. 

There is a forum dedicated for it, right here. http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/index.php

http://wup-forum.com/is-astral-projection-haram-t912-80.html

What does Islam say about it? The Salafis say it's all shirk and are the acts of shaytan(loool :lol:  :D) , but I have yet to see the Shia position on it. 

I have heard stories that we have narrations saying that the Imams(as) themselves, use to Astral project all the time, but I could be wrong. 

(wasalam)

Edited by Taqwa

Salamun Alaikum

The Quran says our soul leaves our body every night when we sleep. Astral projection is when we stay mentally alert during the time when our body falls asleep, so we can remember what our soul sees.

Imam al-Baqir (as) said, "When people sleep, their spirits go out into the sky. Whatever the spirit sees while in the sky is true, and whatever it sees in the air (between earth and the heavens) are just muddled dreams."

Salamun Alaikum

The Quran says our soul leaves our body every night when we sleep. Astral projection is when we stay mentally alert during the time when our body falls asleep, so we can remember what our soul sees.

Yes, exactly. It's kind of similar to death in a way, except, unlike death, your soul comes back to your body once you wake up. Moreover, the only difference is, from my knowledge,is that  when you are asleep, there is an energy cord called the "silver cord" that chains your soul to you body. It's when you die that this cord get disconnected. 

Imam al-Baqir  (as) said, "When people sleep, their spirits go out into the sky. Whatever the spirit sees while in the sky is true, and whatever it sees in the air (between earth and the heavens) are just muddled dreams."

Interesting and cool. Does that mean that my dreams can finally come true now and be able to astral project to Mars, Gliese 581g or millions of light years deep into the cosmos in a hunt for Aliens? :D

On a serious not, may I ask you where you found this hadith from Imam Al-Baqir(as) and if there are other relevant hadiths?

Edited by Taqwa

Salamun Alaikum

The Hadith is in Amali Al Saduq.

But I havnt come across many other hadith about the topic of consciously leaving the body, but I'm sure there must be more.

Can't remember where but I recall reading that Ayatollah Bahjat was able to leave his body whenever he wanted.

Have you ever experimented with astral projection?

I have a lot of lucid dreams. out of body experiences are a lot less cool than they sound, they are just lucid dreams in scenarios similar to real life. however, usually something is out of place. Its not actually like you hop out of your body and walk around.

From what I've heard there are different types. When you leave your body, you enter the realm of God's knowledge and thus you see forward and back in 'time' although time doesn't really exist there. This is why some people refer to seeing their past lives, when they are in fact seeing just the past.

Then there is actual astral projection. It isn't just lucid dreaming - but lucid dreaming can lead to it and is somewhat of a first step towards it. People have said that astral projecting is in fact leaving the body as your soul, and you will see other beings and existents that wouldn't normally be seen by human eyes.

This is beyond lucid dreaming and having the dream box and forming your own world (in your dreams) and what not.

this is all nonsense

peoples imaginations and fantasy

You should probably do some research.

You do know the Quran says we leave our bodies every night. Why do you believe its impossible for someone to remember what their soul sees outside of the body?

Al-Salam alykom

Salamun Alaikum

But I havnt come across many other hadith about the topic of consciously leaving the body, but I'm sure there must be more.

Can't remember where but I recall reading that Ayatollah Bahjat was able to leave his body whenever he wanted.

No. I haven't successfully done it yet. It's not easy at first. It's really hard to explain the experience. But when I tried it, once I reached the level where I was about to come out of my body, I just suddenly woke up in shock, as if I was having the worse nightmare ever.

There are however, people the successfully did it with no doubt. Some even went out as far as outside their house, which is pretty cool. It's just needs discipline and time to work. 

From what I've heard there are different types. When you leave your body, you enter the realm of God's knowledge and thus you see forward and back in 'time' although time doesn't really exist there. This is why some people refer to seeing their past lives, when they are in fact seeing just the past.

Then there is actual astral projection. It isn't just lucid dreaming - but lucid dreaming can lead to it and is somewhat of a first step towards it. People have said that astral projecting is in fact leaving the body as your soul, and you will see other beings and existents that wouldn't normally be seen by human eyes.

This is beyond lucid dreaming and having the dream box and forming your own world (in your dreams) and what not.

Yes that is true. As far as I know , it has to do with some time of frequencies or something like that. If you are successful to travel to lower frequencies, you will get to see jinns and similar beings. 

this is all nonsense

peoples imaginations and fantasy

loool :lol: , well of course it's nonsense for you. Coming from the guy that ignorantly rejected the possibility of Alien existence , either in the past or in the future , despite the fact that the Noble Quran and the authentic Hadiths say other wise. I don't expect a guy who lives on 3 olives a day, lives under a rock and doesn't bother himself to read a book to gain knowledge to know the Philosophy and science behind these deep subjects. 

Edited by Taqwa

To do OBE you have to fall asleep and actually have a lucid dream in which your body is on your bed like it would be irl, then you do a roll, and like you separate from your body with that roll.

You can train yourself to do it on purpose but I dont know if it's recommended or not!?! Mystics here in Europe (non-muslim and non-christian hermeticists-alchemists) say that it's a must to learn this ability to be able to ascend through the spheres of the heavens before one dies.. These "places" are actually accessed through the human conscioussness, although they're simultanously outside the individual conscioussness.

One should probably stay away from this if one does not have guidance from someone who have experience in doing this kind of work because one can actually go mad. This can be "theurgy" (divine work on ones soul) or magick. Magick is forbidden in the religions of Abraham but theurgy is taught in various forms in christian monasteries & I'm sure there are islamic gnostics that teach this to people, although "regular "sould" shouldnt dabble with it because of its danger..

There's a common syndrome that is called "sleep paralysis" which affects many people (myself included) in which one may wake up realising that the body and brain is completely asleep and you can actually leave the body during this state. When one is afraid of the sleep paralysis, which is quite natural, it easily turns into a horror but if one stays calm one can direct the events..

The state that occurs during sleep paralysis is connected to the state utilized during "astral projection".

Take care

guys, an OBE is not "your soul leaving your body at night". Its just a dream in which you dont have a body, really. just like dreaming you're a dinosaur.

I have sleep paralysis as well :P It's well known that they are hallucinations, not magic or evil or separating your soul or anything that epic. plain old hallucinations.

In this video lecture about revelation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCykXtCRLqs - Sheikh Farrokh Sekaleshfar explains how sleep is a state in which the human being is transversing through non-material realms of existence. Although the dreams may not be tellng something significant or true, the fact is that the process that humans go through when they dream; ie detaching completely from the material world is very much related to transcending the material world spiritually.. So even though it might be a "halluctination" ie; the message of the particular dream is not significant, the dreamstate itself can tell us very much about our souls and the advanced can even utilize a dream-like state while conscious and converse with spiritual beings.

The eminent psychologist Carl Gustaf Jung spoke alot about the characters one can meat in this realm and he called them "archetypes" because they are similar to all people. all across the world and he had a theory that deep down in the human consciousness there's a collective consciousness from where the "Gods" of old times probably came.

There's alot of things going on in dreams that have significance for our life. A dream about something completely fantasylike might be the subconscious mind expressing areas in ones psychology where on has a problem for example. Dr. Jung said the subconscious mind is "symbolic" int its way of processing information etc.

Now, I'm not a muslim (yet) but sheikh Farrokh also speaks about how it can be spiritually harmful to transcend into these realms without adhering to the sharia. But yes, "astral projection" is something that one can learn how to do

In this video lecture about revelation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCykXtCRLqs - Sheikh Farrokh Sekaleshfar explains how sleep is a state in which the human being is transversing through non-material realms of existence. Although the dreams may not be tellng something significant or true, the fact is that the process that humans go through when they dream; ie detaching completely from the material world is very much related to transcending the material world spiritually.. So even though it might be a "halluctination" ie; the message of the particular dream is not significant, the dreamstate itself can tell us very much about our souls and the advanced can even utilize a dream-like state while conscious and converse with spiritual beings.

The eminent psychologist Carl Gustaf Jung spoke alot about the characters one can meat in this realm and he called them "archetypes" because they are similar to all people. all across the world and he had a theory that deep down in the human consciousness there's a collective consciousness from where the "Gods" of old times probably came.

There's alot of things going on in dreams that have significance for our life. A dream about something completely fantasylike might be the subconscious mind expressing areas in ones psychology where on has a problem for example. Dr. Jung said the subconscious mind is "symbolic" int its way of processing information etc.

Now, I'm not a muslim (yet) but sheikh Farrokh also speaks about how it can be spiritually harmful to transcend into these realms without adhering to the sharia. But yes, "astral projection" is something that one can learn how to do

Shaykh Farrokh is amazing.

Salam, when you pray, and your attention moves away from prayer, that is the part when you are physically standing in prayer, but your spirit is else where...

You can do this at will with observation, but you have too be verry pure and clean (and alot of pure worship), not somthing every one can do, it has a verry peacefull feeling, when you breath correctly, and in a medatative state you become aware of your spirit, this is the same as 1 inch punch, or hypnossis, or even some one not blinking while watching tv !!! The common form is daydreaming, and the best use i found for it (after concentrating in prayer) was the power of healing using this same energy...

"Money reaches belivers and kafir, knowledge is only for those who are worthy of it !!!  Imam Ali"a.s""

Haven't come across a ruling from anyone but if the soul leaves the body every night, what is the problem with training ourselves to stay conscious while our bodies go through the various levels of sleep?

Soul leaves the body ? Quran 6 :60

& He it is who takes yo;ur soul in sleep ??????

Edited by ZaqiYumani

Salamun Alaikum

(salam)

Here is one authentic hadith about soul leaving our body while sleeping

حدثنا أبي و محمد بن الحسن رضي الله عنهما قالا حدثنا سعد بن عبد الله و عبد الله بن جعفر الحميري و محمد بن يحيى العطار و أحمد بن إدريس جميعا قالوا حدثنا أحمد بن أبي عبد الله البرقي قال حدثنا أبو هاشم داود بن القاسم الجعفري عن أبي جعفر الثاني محمد بن علي ع قال أقبل أمير المؤمنين ع ذات يوم و معه الحسن بن علي و سلمان الفارسي رضي الله عنه و أمير المؤمنين ع متكئ على يد سلمان فدخل المسجد الحرام فجلس إذ أقبل رجل حسن الهيئة و اللباس فسلم على أمير المؤمنين ع فرد عليه السلام فجلس ثم قال يا أمير المؤمنين أسألك عن ثلاث‏ مسائل إن أخبرتني بهن علمت أن القوم ركبوا من أمرك ما أقضي عليهم أنهم ليسوا بمأمونين في دنياهم و لا في آخرتهم و إن تكن الأخرى علمت أنك و هم شرع سواء فقال له أمير المؤمنين ع سلني عما بدا لك فقال أخبرني عن الرجل إذا نام أين تذهب روحه و عن الرجل كيف يذكر و ينسى و عن الرجل كيف يشبه ولده الأعمام و الأخوال فالتفت أمير المؤمنين إلى أبي محمد الحسن فقال يا أبا محمد أجبه فقال أما ما سألت عنه من أمر الإنسان إذا نام أين تذهب روحه فإن روحه متعلقة بالريح و الريح متعلقة بالهواء إلى وقت ما يتحرك صاحبها لليقظة فإن أذن الله عز و جل برد تلك الروح إلى صاحبها جذبت تلك الروح الريح و جذبت تلك الريح الهواء فرجعت الروح فأسكنت في بدن صاحبها و إن لم يأذن الله عز و جل برد تلك الروح إلى صاحبها جذب الهواء الريح و جذبت الريح الروح فلم ترد إلى صاحبها إلى وقت ما يبعث و أما ما ذكرت من أمر الذكر 

My father and Muhammad b. al-Hasan رضي الله عنهما narrated. They said: Sa`d b. `Abdillah and `Abdillah b. Ja`far al-Himyari and Muhammad b. Yahya al-`Attar and Ahmad b. Idris narrated together. They said: Ahmad b. Abi `Abdillah al-Barqi narrated. He said: Abu Hashim Dawud b. al-Qasim al-Ja`fari narrated from Abu Ja`far the Second b. `Ali عليهما السلام.
He said: Amr al-Mu’mineen عليه السلام came one day with al-Hasan b. `Ali and Salman al-Farisi رضي الله عنه, and Amir al-Mu’mineen عليه السلام was leaning on the hand of Salman [for support]. So he entered the Sacred Mosque and sat down, when a good-looking and well-dressed man met him. He gave salaam to Amir al-Mu’mineen عليه السلام and he عليه السلام answered him, so he sat. He then said: O Amir al-Mu’mineen, I will ask ask you three questions. If you inform me of their answers, I will acknowledge that the community that has mounted your affair are not safe in their life or in their afterlife. If it would be otherwise, then you and they will be the same. So Amir al-Mu’mineen عليه السلام said to him: Ask me whatever you wish. He said: Inform me of the man who sleeps – where does his soul go? And of the man – how does he remember and forget?  And of the man – how does his children resemble the aunts and uncles? So Amir al-Mu’mineen turned to Abu Muhammad al-Hasan and said: O Muhammad, answer him.
So he said:

As for your question about where the soul of a man goes when he is asleep: his soul attaches to the wind, and the wind attached to the air, until the sleeper awakens. When Allah عز وجل permits, the soul returns to its owner. The soul is pulled out from the wind, and the wind is pulled out from the air, so the soul returns and remains in the body of its owner. If Allah عز وجل does not permit the soul to return to his owner, the air pulls the wind and the wind pulls the soul; and it will not return to its owner until he is resurrected.

(wasalam) 

Salam, when you pray, and your attention moves away from prayer, that is the part when you are physically standing in prayer, but your spirit is else where...

You can do this at will with observation, but you have too be verry pure and clean (and alot of pure worship), not somthing every one can do, it has a verry peacefull feeling, when you breath correctly, and in a medatative state you become aware of your spirit, this is the same as 1 inch punch, or hypnossis, or even some one not blinking while watching tv !!! The common form is daydreaming, and the best use i found for it (after concentrating in prayer) was the power of healing using this same energy...

"Money reaches belivers and kafir, knowledge is only for those who are worthy of it !!!  Imam Ali"a.s""

Soul leaves the body ? Quran 6 :60

& He it is who takes yo;ur soul in sleep ??????

Actually, from what I've heard, astral projection is the lowest of the low. Some say that AP can be done by pretty much anyone with practice. It doesn't really signify anything other than good practice at what you mentioned, like meditation and focus.

Other stages however, require a bit more.

Actually, from what I've heard, astral projection is the lowest of the low. Some say that AP can be done by pretty much anyone with practice. It doesn't really signify anything other than good practice at what you mentioned, like meditation and focus.

Other stages however, require a bit more.

Well i learnt meditation in 1996 and 97, yes i gained some mastery over it and linked it to kung fu (one inch punch) and even reki healing, but i can't leave my body unless i pass out ?

The experiences of these people have been suggested by Shaytan.And yes,how could you be so stupid?

By Shaytan?

Wow, then he has quite the power over us doesn't he - the ability to cause delusions and all.

That would mean that all the stuff about alam al-ru'ya is fake. Or that alam al-ru'ya is the Shaytan's sandbox.

I wonder then how God can judge us? How is it fair that the Shaytan has such abilities?

If you at least once in your life read the Quran,you'd learn that even the Prophet had Shaytan suggest him idolatrous verses which he at first thought came from God.

Um, I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. Just saying that it did is pretty degrading to the Prophet (s).

How about you chill out there a bit, and maybe we can have a productive discussion.

I'll start with a question. You came in here stating that this was all codswallop, can you prove that it is?

Well i learnt meditation in 1996 and 97, yes i gained some mastery over it and linked it to kung fu (one inch punch) and even reki healing, but i can't leave my body unless i pass out ?

I don't think it's about passing out, but rather about sort of shifting. Losing consciousness of course makes things much easier (i.e. you've entered the immaterial realm already, no need for voluntary/purposeful transition), but it isn't a necessity.

If you at least once in your life read the Quran,you'd learn that even the Prophet had Shaytan suggest him idolatrous verses which he at first thought came from God.

Astagfarallah l azeem. That's like saying the Holy Prophet (pbuh) was delusional. Oh wait a minute.............. :shifty:

Anywayz.. from the OP and reading through the responses I think the most likely and safest way to AP is through prayer. Anyone ever felt that shift during laylut al-qadr? I know for certain I was someplace else entirely.