In the Name of God بسم الله

Prophet (Saw) At War

Rate this topic

IbneSyed

• Advanced Member

Asalam O Alaikum

The month of Rabialawal marks the Birth of Rasool (SAW) and his great Grandson Imam Jaffar (AS).  

" My eyes have never seen anyone more beautiful than you (SAW), 
No woman has begotten anyone more handsome than you (SAW), 
You (SAW) have been created without any weakness and blemish, 
It is as if you (SAW) have been created as you (SAW) wished to be created" - Hz Hassan Bin Thabit (RA)

An article on the battles/Ghazwats of Prophet (SAW) has been uploaded at SDOL.org. 

Article:  Prophet (SAW) At War
Exact Link: http://www26.brinkster.com/sdolshah1/paw.html

Traditionalists portray different picture of the Prophet (SAW) on account of what they pass on to us. Some provide justifiable grounds to the so-called Jihadists to kill in the name of Islam. It is not hard to justify when we are taught in school that the Prophet (SAW) killed 900 jewish men who had surrendered, in a market place. It is very important to understand what the Prophet (SAW) had achieved, and when one realizes the trouble the Prophet (SAW) had to go through, his wars become more legendary in nature. 

At www.sdol.org
Wasalaam

• Advanced Member

السلام عليكم

It's important to note that the punishment for the Banu Qurayza for their betrayal was NOT prescribed in the Qur'an.

Sa'd ibn Mu'adh used their own book, the Torah, to decide their punishment. So this doesn't give so-called Jihadists the right to indiscriminately kill people in the name of Islam. Secondly, the so-called Jihadists main target is other Muslims - this is unconditionally condemned in the Quran and Sunnah.

Let the people of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.

To thee We sent the Scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety: so judge between them by what Allah hath revealed, and follow not their vain desires, diverging from the Truth that hath come to thee. To each among you have we prescribed a law and an open way. If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to Allah; it is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which ye dispute;

- http://quran.com/5/47-48

• Veteran Member

Also lets not forget the confedrates have taken offensive against muslims with merciless ruthlessness before this event brutally crucifying sahaba like Khubaib b adi and the unprovoked  massacare of 50 odd companions at Bir Mauna

Those who are outraged at Muhammad saw conduct at this event should also put Moses and Joshua in the same category as Einsatzgruppen as their old testimont is nothing but a catalogue of warcrimes akin to mein kempf

• Advanced Member

It's important to note that the punishment for the Banu Qurayza for their betrayal was NOT prescribed in the Qur'an.

Sa'd ibn Mu'adh used their own book, the Torah, to decide their punishment. So this doesn't give so-called Jihadists the right to indiscriminately kill people in the name of Islam. Secondly, the so-called Jihadists main target is other Muslims - this is unconditionally condemned in the Quran and Sunnah.

Actually, if you would continue reading the ahadith in Bukhari and Ibn Ishaq that relate how Sa'd Ibn Mu'adh invoked the Torah, you wouldn't have made the claim that the Prophet (saws) was free from the prescribed punishment of the Qurayza Clan, as the hadith states: `Asim b. `Umar b. Qatada told me from `Abdu'l-Rahman b. `Amr b. Sa`d b. Mu`adh from `Alqama b. Waqqas al-Laythi that the apostle said to Sa`d:

'You have given the judgement of Allah above the seven heavens'.

According to the Sunni sources The Holy rophet concurred with Sa'ds judgement and even equated it to that of Allah, clearly showing (according to the sunni narrative of course) that the Prophet would have judged Exactly alike. 

Thus the apolegetic response advocated by people by shifting the blame to Sa'd becomes nullified if you hold this historical account to be accurate.

Unless you bring hard proof from Shi'i sources, none of these narrations, despite their number and tawattur becomes hujja in a shi'i context.  

• Advanced Member

Actually, if you would continue reading the ahadith in Bukhari and Ibn Ishaq that relate how Sa'd Ibn Mu'adh invoked the Torah, you wouldn't have made the claim that the Prophet (saws) was free from the prescribed punishment of the Qurayza Clan, as the hadith states: `Asim b. `Umar b. Qatada told me from `Abdu'l-Rahman b. `Amr b. Sa`d b. Mu`adh from `Alqama b. Waqqas al-Laythi that the apostle said to Sa`d:

'You have given the judgement of Allah above the seven heavens'.

According to the Sunni sources The Holy rophet concurred with Sa'ds judgement and even equated it to that of Allah, clearly showing (according to the sunni narrative of course) that the Prophet would have judged Exactly alike. 

Thus the apolegetic response advocated by people by shifting the blame to Sa'd becomes nullified if you hold this historical account to be accurate.

Unless you bring hard proof from Shi'i sources, none of these narrations, despite their number and tawattur becomes hujja in a shi'i context.  

السلام عليكم

The entire hadith:

Sahih Bukharin, V. 4 52:280

When the tribe of Bani Quraiza was ready to accept Sad's judgment, Allah's Apostle sent for Sad who was near to him. Sad came, riding a donkey and when he came near, Allah's Apostle said (to the Ansar), "Stand up for your leader." Then Sad came and sat beside Allah's Apostle who said to him. "These people are ready to accept your judgment." Sad said, "I give the judgment that their warriors should be killed and their children and women should be taken as prisoners." The Prophet then remarked, "O Sad! You have judged amongst them with (or similar to) the judgment of the King Allah."

Shows that the Banu Qurayza ultimately accepted their fate. So again, how does the Sunni narration justify so-called Jihadists from killing innocent people enmasse when even in this event, only the Banu Qurayza's warriors were killed for their betrayal to the Muslims and they even accepted the terms? Clearly they must have known that what they did would have huge repercussions - if they failed. Which they did.

I didn't say Sa'd (RA) or Muhammad (SAW) or anybody was "free of blame" so to speak, I think the only people to blame for this incident is the leaders in Banu Qurayza who attempted to massacre not just the Muslim fighters but their children and women as well.

I only see anti-Islamic websites spinning the incident to make it look like the Prophet (SAW) was a very violent person which we all know isn't true. It's sad to see the same kind of thinking in that article in the OP.

And sorry, I don't have any Shia sources for the incident. If you do, however, please feel free to post them here.

As for the last part of the Hadith, again I think that has to do with the verse I posted earlier:

Let the people of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.

-- http://quran.com/5/47

You cannot find a punishment like this in Holy Quran. Sa'd ibn Muadh (RA) judged by their own religion yet anti-Islamic websites try "blaming" Islam for it.

Also lets not forget the confedrates have taken offensive against muslims with merciless ruthlessness before this event brutally crucifying sahaba like Khubaib b adi and the unprovoked  massacare of 50 odd companions at Bir Mauna

Those who are outraged at Muhammad saw conduct at this event should also put Moses and Joshua in the same category as Einsatzgruppen as their old testimont is nothing but a catalogue of warcrimes akin to mein kempf

السلام عليكم

If they were successful at the Battle of the Trench they would have massacred all of the Muslims in Medina - man woman and child alike.

So executing the aggressors among their tribe in a punishment (according to the hadith being referenced) they accepted in the end shows the true nature of the incident.

• Advanced Member

The entire hadith:

....."O Sad! You have judged amongst them with (or similar to) the judgment of the King Allah.".....

Sa'd judged according according to Allah. 

You cannot find a punishment like this in Holy Quran. Sa'd ibn Muadh (ra) judged by their own religion yet anti-Islamic websites try "blaming" Islam for it.

You're beating around the bush by claiming that Sa'd judged by their own jewish religion and the fact that the punishment is not found in the Quran somehow absolves Islam from it.

Bottom line is that the Holy Prophet (saws) endorsed Sa'ds judgement and as according to sunni sources gave it islamic legitimacy by equating the judgement  "with (or similar to) the judgment of the King Allah.".....

The sunni narrative of the event, if one was to subscribe to its authenticity (which is a doubtful one) clealry shows that islam vouched for the prescribed punishment of Banu Qurayza. 

You can't escape this.

wassalam

• Advanced Member

السلام عليكم

Sa'd judged according according to Allah.

Yes, in accordance with what the Quran says, judge them by the laws Allah SWT gave them.

You're beating around the bush by claiming that Sa'd judged by their own jewish religion and the fact that the punishment is not found in the Quran somehow absolves Islam from it.

Not really, even if the punishment was prescribed in the Quran, I wouldn't blame the Quran or anybody else besides the Banu Qurayza leadership for what happened. They decided to betray the Muslims and attempted to slaughter them. Are we forgetting this? They wouldn't have spared the women and children like Sa'd (RA) did.

Bottom line is that the Holy Prophet (saws) endorsed Sa'ds judgement and as according to sunni sources gave it islamic legitimacy by equating the judgement "with (or similar to) the judgment of the King Allah.".....

I don't see your point.

The sunni narrative of the event, if one was to subscribe to its authenticity (which is a doubtful one) clealry shows that islam vouched for the prescribed punishment of Banu Qurayza.

You can't escape this.

wassalam

I'm not trying to escape this. I just don't see how this is "Islam's fault" that the Banu Qurayza tried to massacre the Muslims with their enemies and failed.

According to Sunni narrative too, not only did they choose Sa'd (RA) to decide on their punishment for their betrayal, they even agreed to the punishment Sa'd (RA) decided for them.

And brother, if you don't think Sunni sources are authentic and reliable, why use them to begin with?

Are there any Shia sources on the incident? And no, I'm not just asking so I can brush them off as unauthentic just because I'm Sunni.

And those of the People of the Book who aided them - Allah did take them down from their strongholds and cast terror into their hearts. (So that) some ye slew, and some ye made prisoners.

http://quran.com/33/26

السلام عليكم

Problem is when modern day muslims look at these incidents with 21st century sensabilities they are confused esp when they are not well acquainted with the contemporary customs and laws by which the 7th century Arabians lived.

I find it ironic how the main people with an issue to the whole Banu Qurayza incident are Americans.

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

18 U.S. CODE § 2381 - TREASON

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381

Sound familiar?

The non-Muslims who try to use this incident to make Islam look bad fail to consider WHY this happened and the details of what took place. All they say is, "see Islam killed 900 Jews it's hateful and anti-semitic" when that's hardly the truth. Even the number isn't correct.

The Banu Qurayza attempted to slaughter every Muslim in Medina. Alhamdulillah, they failed. We should be happy they didn't succeed (if anything), but we definitely shouldn't be apologetic for something like this to appease ignorant people with an obvious anti-Islamic agenda. Any sincere person can see what happened and why it happened and understand the entire incident.

The only ones to blame are the Banu Qurayza leaders, and they faced the consequences.

• Veteran Member

^ I agree with you broadly all societies look at treason as the ultimate betrayal but problem arises when self stled muslim "puritins" these days think of themselves re-living thisincident as they themselves are Sa'd b muadh or (more disturbingly ) Ali and zubair and directly taking commands from the Prophet.