Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Grief

Mujtahids In The West

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Hujjatul Islam Hamza Sodagar and Hujjatul Islam Usama Abdul Ghani are the ones I know.

My question is... Are there any Mujtahids in the West who choose not to don the turban and the 'ammamah?

If so, please tell me their name. Thank you.

(wasalam)

Edited by BuggyLemon

(salam)

Hujjatul Islam Hamza Sodagar and Hujjatul Islam Usama Abdul Ghani are the ones I know.

How did you arrive to this conclusion?

Syed Hoseini Nasab claims to be a Mujtahid; he resides in Toronto. His resalah is on his website: http://www.hoseini.org/

One's I am assuming may have Ijtihad are Syed Aqeel ul-Gharavi and Hassan Raza Ghadeeri from London.

​Wassalam

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain

Hamzah sodagar and mulana Rizvi are hajjatuislam. ^ you cannot do taqleed to a hajjatuislam scholars become mujtahids before they get ijaza and become an ayatollah. There is ayatollah milani in UK. As for mujtahids who are not ayatollah there are a hand full or two of them. Hamzah sodagar is a top notch man and same with abdulghani I have high respect for them. I did not know Shaykh abdulghani was a mujtahid is that true?

Edited by Rohani

To my knowledge the ones in the west who have claimed Marjiyyat are Syed Hussein Nassab of Toronto and Shaykh Berri of Detroit. You can check their websites. I know Abbas Mezbahzadeh of Washington DC (Northern VA) who is an Ayatullah and an Arif but not a Marjah.

Syed Aqeel Gharavi is a Mujtahid and received his ijaza from Ayatullah Makarem-Shirazi but I thought he resided in India. I had not heard that he moved to the West. In fact, he had even stopped visiting the West for some time.

Additionally, I know people who confirmed that Ayatullah Majeedi is a Mujtahid and was a judge in the Islamic Republic which requires one to hold the Ijaza of Ijtihad.

One other Scholar who frequents the West is Syed Muntazir Mahdi who is a Mujtahid. He informed his family and friends in San Jose, CA about recieving the ijaza from Ayatullah Bashir. I am not sure if he has moved to the West or continues to just visit for programs and majlis.

Also, to my knowledge the latter 3 are all mujahideen but have not declared themselves as Marja's. I do not have any verified information about Shaykh's Sodagar or Abdul-Ghani but they seem to be extremely knowledgeable.

Wassalam

Edited by :wayfarer786

It is known in Qum (at least among trustworthy students I've spoken to) that Shaykh Hamza Sodagar is at least a partial mujtahid, i.e. he has ijtihad in specific subjects. But that was two years ago, so who knows how much he has advanced since then. I'm not sure about Shaykh Usama, though.