Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Elhusseinie

What Is The Definition Of A 'sayed'?

Rate this topic

I recently heard that the term 'Sayed' is not limited to the children of the holy prophet (s), but to anyone who is belongs to bani Hashem.

This argument didn't make sense to me, because then that would mean that Abu Lahab (l.a.) would also be considered a Sayed...

Could anyone clarify where the term came from, where and when it was first used and who it refers to?

Thank you in advance.

Wslm

The definition of a Syed is a decendant of Imam Ali (as) and Lady Fatima (as).

It does not apply to anyone else. Regardless of if they are from the Bani Hashim or not.

So Abul Fadhl was not a Sayed because he was just from Imam Ali side?

there are different terms:

hashemi: which is very important in jurisprudence and is a jurisprudential title, means anyone who is a descendant of Hashim (great grandfather of our prophet may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny) through his/her father. (and don't worry about abulahab! there have been many bad people who were descendants of the prophet and iamams alayhem uassalam. being in such linage does not mean being infallible)

alavi: a descendant of imam Ali (p.b.u.h.) through his/her father. (not necessarily of Imam Ali and lady Ftima p.b.u.th)

fatemi: a descendant of lady Fatima p.b.u.h. only such person can be called a descendant of our beloved prophet salallahualayhe va aalih. the latter linage(i.e. descendant of the prophet s.) does not need to be only through the father, since our imams p.b.u.th were descendants of the prophet (s.) only through lady Fatima p.b.u.h.

sayyed does not have a definite use and can be used as any of above mentioned terms.

there are different terms:

hashemi: which is very important in jurisprudence and is a jurisprudential title, means anyone who is a descendant of Hashim (great grandfather of our prophet may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny) through his/her father. (and don't worry about abulahab! there have been many bad people who were descendants of the prophet and iamams alayhem uassalam. being in such linage does not mean being infallible)

alavi: a descendant of imam Ali (p.b.u.h.) through his/her father. (not necessarily of Imam Ali and lady Ftima p.b.u.th)

fatemi: a descendant of lady Fatima p.b.u.h. only such person can be called a descendant of our beloved prophet salallahualayhe va aalih. the latter linage(i.e. descendant of the prophet s.) does not need to be only through the father, since our imams p.b.u.th were descendants of the prophet (s.) only through lady Fatima p.b.u.h.

sayyed does not have a definite use and can be used as any of above mentioned terms.

Maybe its just me but the last time i checked there was no "V" sounding letter in the Arabic alphabet.