Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

ASA everyone. Now, most muslims will generally say that humans have free will but that Allah(swt) knows what will happen before it will happen and that he can alter things as he so pleases. However, when reading the Quran it is not that simple. It seems to me that two points are made simultaneously, the first being that humans control whether or not they will accept faith and guidance and the other being that it is not up to an individual but all up to Allah(swt). If it is up to Allah(swt), then doesn't it seem unfair that he will misguide some people and guide others? This is really bothering me. Feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

Verses:

Decisions   The Qur'an is a warning to all men: to those who have the will to walk straight or upright, yet no one can decide to do so except the ones who are given that ability by Allah (81:27-29, 76:29-30).

The Test   Man was created from a drop of semen for the purpose of being tested. He is given sight, hearing and instructions to see whether he will be grateful and go to paradise. In paradise there will be drinking of wine flowing from a constant fountain while in Hell there will be chains, harnesses and blazing fire (76:2-6).

Guidance   Allah guides whom he pleases to the straight way (10:25). Allah decides who will be left to stray and who will be guided (35:8). Allah opens or hardens hearts to Islam (39:18-22). He gives some little and others much (39:52).

Faith   No one can have faith unless Allah gives him permission. Allah will severely punish those who do not have the sense to believe (10:100).

Ordained Misfortune   Allah decrees ahead of time every bad thing that happens to the earth or individuals (57:22).

Control over All Creatures   There is not a living creature whose hair is not in the grasp of Allah (11:56).

Created for Hell   Whomever Allah guides follows the right way and whoever he causes to be led astray will be the losers. Many men and genies are already created for Hell (7:178,179).

Allah Causes Error   It is impossible for a person to correct those who Allah has caused to be in error (4:88).

Personal Responsibility   Those who reject Allah’s communications are deaf and dumb. They are in utter darkness. Allah misleads some and puts others on the right way (6:39). Apostles give good news and warnings to mankind. Those who believe and mend their ways will have nothing to fear and not regret. But those who deny Allah’s revelations will be punished for their sins (6:48,49).

Evil Leaders Placed and Punished   Allah has placed evil leaders in every town who plot evil. Soon they will be punished for their evil plans (6:123, 124).

Fill Hell   If Allah had willed he could have given everyone true guidance, but the word of Allah is that he will fill Hell with men and jinn (32:13, 11:119, 7:18).

This is really bothering

Salaam Brother. The answer is very clear. This link has a few articles explaining and answering all your doubts.

http://www.al-islam.org/faith-and-reason-ayatullah-mahdi-hadavi-tehrani/question-1-divine-will-and-human-will

I will add more simply, that when Allah talks abut misguiding, it is in terms of those who themselves chose to reject Allah's guidance. Obey Allah, and Allah will guide you. Why? Because by obeying that which is good for you, you are automatically aligning yourself with Allah's mercy and guidance. When you disobey Allah and leave His mercy, you are misguiding youself, hence you are out of Allah's guidance. Allah is All Good. God does not have any negative attributes. Nor does Allah interfere with your limited free will unless it is by result of your own choices. When you are reading the veres, you have to establish that there are allegorical and clear verses:

“As for those in whose hearts is perversity, they follow the allegorical verses, seeking to mislead and seeking to give (their own) interpretation. None know their (i.e., allegorical verses') interpretation except Allah and those who are firmly rooted in knowledge…” (3:7)

The quran is not a literal book.

Edited by PureEthics

Imagine that there is someone you know that is really struggling with drugs. you intervene and try to guide them by showing them that they are headed for destruction and give them advice to turn things around. when you give them advice they turn their head away and their mind and heart are both completely blocked off from what your saying because they do not want to change. would it be logical for you to continue trying to guide this person? no. because in order for someone to change they have to want to change. and anyone who is set in their ways and doesn't want to change is not going to listen to advice or guidance. 

Allah knows what is in our hearts; He knows who sincerely wants to change and do better and who is stubborn and too prideful to accept any help or guidance. The latter group of people are those that Allah leaves without guidance, and by doing so, naturally they are misguided because they are listening to their carnal self. 

Edited by yahlulbayt

This lecture might help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIINtwr_ydQ audio quality isn't that great, but still ok.

Thank You SOOO MUCH! Indeed it did!. This issue was about to cause me to lose my faith if I did not see a plausible answer to it and it also was the deciding factor to whether or not I would choose to begin following ahlulbayt because I was raised sunni but I have encountered problems with certain things that I have come across while studying-this being the biggest one. There's one hadith in bukhari or muslim that says that Allah decides whether or not you will be blessed or wretched in religion before you are born and I had a very hard night after reading it lol. I see now that indeed my islam was missing an important component :) Jazakhallah Khair!

Thank You SOOO MUCH! Indeed it did!. This issue was about to cause me to lose my faith if I did not see a plausible answer to it and it also was the deciding factor to whether or not I would choose to begin following ahlulbayt because I was raised sunni but I have encountered problems with certain things that I have come across while studying-this being the biggest one. There's one hadith in bukhari or muslim that says that Allah decides whether or not you will be blessed or wretched in religion before you are born and I had a very hard night after reading it lol. I see now that indeed my islam was missing an important component :) Jazakhallah Khair!

Check this out as well... Its a MUST watch!: