Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Marbles

Eastern Europeans Descend On Britain

Rate this topic

Actually not.

The cracking comparison made by Romanian ambassador sums it succinctly and precisely. :lol:

Good to see British xenophobia diverted from Asian immigrants are directed at Eastern Europeans for a change.

Romania's ambassador to Britain has mocked MPs and rightwing newspapers that gathered at airports on New Year's Day to interrogate an expected influx of his countrymen, comparing them to tragicomic characters from Samuel Beckett's masterpiece Waiting for Godot.

Ion Jinga said that politicians and journalists at Luton airport were desperately waiting for the arrival of millions of unemployed Romanians only to be greeted by two new entrants, both of whom already had jobs.

His intervention follows an intense debate in Britain over the expected migration of Romanians and Bulgarians after transitional controls were lifted on 1 January. Anti-immigration politicians, including Ukip's Nigel Farage and several Tories, have claimed that Britain cannot absorb a large number of new migrants from eastern

"Journalists and distinguished British MPs who went to Luton airport on the 1 January ... discovered that only two Romanians came to the UK to take advantage of the lifting of border restrictions, and both having [sic] firm job offers - one washing cars, the other as a doctor in Essex. The overwhelming majority of the passengers were Romanians returning to jobs after having enjoyed Christmas with their families at home, or Britons coming home after skiing in the Carpathians," he said. GUARDIAN REPORTS

Actually not.

The cracking comparison made by Romanian ambassador sums it succinctly and precisely. :lol:

Good to see British xenophobia diverted from Asian immigrants are directed at Eastern Europeans for a change.

The concerns of working class white English people are perfectly valid IMHO.

Since Tony Blair came to power the UK government has opened the floodgates to everyone from everywhere.

Currently I have an army of Sikh builders, who have taken over my home, none of them was born in the UK. The people who installed the kitchen worktop were Russians who did not speak a word of English and the people who did the drive were from Albania.

But all these tradesmen are now doing work that would have previously been done at higher rates by English workmen.

So there have been gains for householders who can now get work done relatively cheaply ;)

But the really big gains are made by businesses employing these foreign workers. Importing labour also lets the UK government off the hook for having developed an education system which is not-fit-for-purpose.

Of course the really big losers in the globalisation business are the working classes in developing countries. For example, capitalists in London can own bits of Pakistani industry that even Pakistanis cannot invest in.

The money for my project has come from my investment in Vietnamese offshore oil.

Edited by Haji 2003

The concerns of working class white English people are perfectly valid IMHO.

Since Tony Blair came to power the UK government has opened the floodgates to everyone from everywhere.

A few things.

There is no denying that indigenous people from the working class have legitimate concerns and the government needs to address them.

The problem, however, is the manner in which the whole immigration debate is being played out in the UK and broadly in the rest of developed Europe.

There are reports of media crews lining up on arrivals gates (Luton is mentioned in the item I posted) to seek out and interview supposedly hordes of Romanian and Bulgarian coming into the UK. They only found two new entrants already holding job offers.

This is an indication of the sort of anxiety prevalent in some influential sections of the British society.

A quip is often made about Tony Blair "opening up borders" for everyone from anywhere. This is not a correct representation of reality.

Floodgates have only been opened for those nationalities which are part of the European Union. In this respect the UK's problem is not different from any other developed country (Germany, France etc). The floodgates have not been opened for workers from outside EU. If anything, New Labour has gradually and slowly made it more and more difficult for newcomers to come in.

The last big shake up of immigration laws took place under Labour in 2007 (the new tiered system), which only allows highly skilled workers holding job offers from recognised companies to come in. No longer a chippy owner from down the street can writer a job offer letter for his distant-cousin in, say, Nepal, and get him in.

If these attitudes are fanned further, (what with Cameron acting like a complete delinquent whenever he hears the word "immigration"), there is a potent risk that parties on the far right will hijack the legitimate debate about immigration, which will only strengthen xenophobic and racist behaviour. With Islamophobia already booming, the whole thing can get ugly in no time.

It is time for Britain to seriously think about its place in the EU given the indigenous working class is not happy with the influx of new immigrants from within Europe. The UK perhaps cannot stop mass immigration without quitting the Union.

Floodgates have only been opened for those nationalities which are part of the European Union. In this respect the UK's problem is not different from any other developed country (Germany, France etc). The floodgates have not been opened for workers from outside EU. If anything, New Labour has gradually and slowly made it more and more difficult for newcomers to come in.

In my building project I have come across dozens of Sikhs, all from India, living and working in the UK. Yes there are chippies (carpenters), sales staff, admin people etc.

I've just been on the phone for one of them because his English was not good enough to speak over the phone to confirm the test for some building industry certificate. The test itself won't be a problem because he is allowed to use Punjabi translators.

Go to any majalis in the UK now and you hear people speaking Urdu without English accents.

You missed the boat bro. I know of people in the UK who could have got you in, as long as you had two legs and could breathe.

Edited by Haji 2003

In my building project I have come across dozens of Sikhs, all from India, living and working in the UK. Yes there are chippies (carpenters), sales staff, admin people etc.

I've just been on the phone for one of them because his English was not good enough to speak over the phone to confirm the test for some building industry certificate. The test itself won't be a problem because he is allowed to use Punjabi translators.

Go to any majalis in the UK now and you hear people speaking Urdu without English accents.

You missed the boat bro. I know of people in the UK who could have got you in, as long as you had two legs and could breathe.

Are we talking only about the legal migrants right?

Since I left in 2009 after finishing studies, I am not a firsthand witness to how effectively the overhauled immigration regime has been able to stem the tide of economic migration since it was introduced in 2007 and have been tightening evermore eversince, but from what I gather, the types of immigrants you referred to have come in droves by working round pre-2007 rules. But of course those rules never applied to EU nationals.

There are still categories of migrants that do no fall in the ambit of new, tight criteria. For example family reunions (spouses, underage kids and dependent parents), political asylum seekers or refugees and probably religions ministers too. These categories do not depend on what education levels you have, what skills you possess and whether or not you'll become a productive member of the society.

There has been massive abuse too. Before, all you had to do was to get a visit/tourist visa and when inside the UK, send in an application asking for political asylum. The government immediately provided you with housing and monthly stipend and it easily took 3/4 years for a decision on your application. Till then you were a guest of Her Majesty's government.

During my time in the UK I came across many families that made no secret of their path to the UK, and most of those bogus asylum claimants ended up with indefinite leave to remain leading on to full nationality. And the misuse of family reunion facility, esp through marriage, is not a secret.

These days, if you want to apply for asylum, you must declare it to the immigration officials at the border control. You are taken directly to one of those infamous detention centres (a feel-good name for jails). Decision on the admissibility of application is made within days and the final decision is taken within weeks. Till then, good luck.

So, if the tightened immigration rules are working, especially those that apply to non-EU (third world) nationals, which I presume are for the most part, then I don't see how economic migration is still continuing on the same levels as before.

Edited by Marbles

A battle between perception and reality.

UK average of foreign-born migrants is currently 11/12% but in a survey people thought it was above 30%.

So if you happen to live in some parts of London inhabited mostly by low-wage workers of non-UK birth/nationality, you're probably going to think the country is "full".