Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do Shia Muslims Consider Ibadis As Part Of Islam?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I did some research into this Islamic sect which dominates in Oman. I know that they are in some way descendants of the Khawarij. One Islamic scholar in the 18th century considered the Wahhabis as modern-day Khawarij. What is the official position of Twelver Shias on the Ibadi sect?

• Advanced Member

they still carry feelings against `Ali (as) that would be considered heretical.

What makes you say this, brother Qaim? I'm surrounded by Ebadis and from my conversations with them, they regard Imam Ali (a.s) highly, although I did hear some Shias mentioning that Ebadis have a separate book called 'Laamiya' (if I'm not mistaken) - which is a collection of the insults and abuses directed towards Imam Ali (a.s). I've never been able to verify this.

To add to brother Qaim's points above, Ebadis also believe that major sins are unforgiven and people entering Hell on account of those sins, shall remain therein forever. A further distinction of Ebadis and Sunnis can be found here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/ibadhiyah/ibadhisunni.html

Their top shaykh today is Shaykh Ahmed bin Mohammed al-Khalili. Another very well known shaykh is Shaykh Khalfan Esry - who usually addresses questions from non-Ebadis as he can speak Engish. I had tried calling him several times but the phone went unanswered, so I let it be.

Leaving this aside, Ebadis are by far the best Arabs I've come across. They are very hospitable, down to earth, friendly people. I've prayed plenty of times in their masajid and I've never had any problems praying the Shia way. If there's one place where I want to be in the Mid-East is Oman, without a doubt.

Edit: Is Marbles back?!

Edited by Inquisitor
  • Advanced Member

What makes you say this, brother Qaim? I'm surrounded by Ebadis and from my conversations with them, they regard Imam Ali (a.s) highly, although I did hear some Shias mentioning that Ebadis have a separate book called 'Laamiya' (if I'm not mistaken) - which is a collection of the insults and abuses directed towards Imam Ali (a.s). I've never been able to verify this.

To add to brother Qaim's points above, Ebadis also believe that major sins are unforgiven and people entering Hell on account of those sins, shall remain therein forever. A further distinction of Ebadis and Sunnis can be found here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/ibadhiyah/ibadhisunni.html

Their top shaykh today is Shaykh Ahmed bin Mohammed al-Khalili. Another very well known shaykh is Shaykh Khalfan Esry - who usually addresses questions from non-Ebadis as he can speak Engish. I had tried calling him several times but the phone went unanswered, so I let it be.

Leaving this aside, Ebadis are by far the best Arabs I've come across. They are very hospitable, down to earth, friendly people. I've prayed plenty of times in their masajid and I've never had any problems praying the Shia way. If there's one place where I want to be in the Mid-East is Oman, without a doubt.

Edit: Is Marbles back?!

I always wondered why Oman is a developed and more peaceful country compared to Yemen. I wonder if it has to do with religio-cultural factors even though both countries are dominated by Arabic people. 

• Advanced Member

I always wondered why Oman is a developed and more peaceful country compared to Yemen. I wonder if it has to do with religio-cultural factors even though both countries are dominated by Arabic people. 

Well, Yemen is much poorer as well so that has an effect...Yemen has no oil.

Edited by Fatima Hussain
  • Veteran Member

The Wahabis are often compared to the Khawarij, because of their brutality, their sectarianism, their strict adherence to outer parts of the religion and ignorance of the inner parts of the religion, and their closed-mindedness.

(bismillah)

(salam)

and their quick draw mcdraw takfirism

(wasalam)