Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Lost Soul Teen Trying To Find His Way Back

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam, over the course of the past couple of years I have had lots and lots of doubts in my mind. However, I kept on trying to suppress these doubts until a point came in time where I just couldn't take it anymore. Now, I see my belief in my faith is extremely low, and thus the only way for me to rekindled my faith is to answer ALL my doubts.

Since the month of Ramadan on the night of Laylatul Qadr, I made a promise to myself that I will write down all my doubts, and try to write one doubt per day. I finished writing all my doubts and they amounted  to just a notch above fifty questions. I have spent lots and lots of time trying to find someone to answer my doubts. I tried asking a scholar but he didn't seem interested in helping me out as he was too busy (don't blame him.) I tried email but it didn't work out as well. Then i came across shia chat, and this might be my last try to rekindle my faith as its been a long and painful journey to no avail until this point.

I will post my first question, and will only move on the the next question once I am satisfied with the answer of the current one. My first question is:

One of the most alarming and eyebrow raising issues in our modern world is the suicide rates. Every year, thousands upon thousands of people kill themselves and this figure is only increasing. Allah (s.w.t) condemns the act of suicide, and it is classified as one of the major sins. In fact it is said “a soul will never be given a burden it cannot bear.” However, a question that arises in my mind is that if this saying is true, then how come people take their lives? No one enjoys taking their lives? No one would want to kill themselves unless they know they have no other alternative and it’s the last resort and they can’t bear the pain. To add to that, it is said in Islam that a person who kills himself will go straight to hell. Thus, this means that not only did the person suffer in this world, but he will also suffer an eternity in the hereafter. How is God being loving and caring as his asmaaul-husna suggest if a person suffers in this world and also in the hereafter? 

• Advanced Member

Salaam, over the course of the past couple of years I have had lots and lots of doubts in my mind. However, I kept on trying to suppress these doubts until a point came in time where I just couldn't take it anymore. Now, I see my belief in my faith is extremely low, and thus the only way for me to rekindled my faith is to answer ALL my doubts.

Since the month of Ramadan on the night of Laylatul Qadr, I made a promise to myself that I will write down all my doubts, and try to write one doubt per day. I finished writing all my doubts and they amounted  to just a notch above fifty questions. I have spent lots and lots of time trying to find someone to answer my doubts. I tried asking a scholar but he didn't seem interested in helping me out as he was too busy (don't blame him.) I tried email but it didn't work out as well. Then i came across shia chat, and this might be my last try to rekindle my faith as its been a long and painful journey to no avail until this point.

I will post my first question, and will only move on the the next question once I am satisfied with the answer of the current one. My first question is:

One of the most alarming and eyebrow raising issues in our modern world is the suicide rates. Every year, thousands upon thousands of people kill themselves and this figure is only increasing. Allah (s.w.t) condemns the act of suicide, and it is classified as one of the major sins. In fact it is said “a soul will never be given a burden it cannot bear.” However, a question that arises in my mind is that if this saying is true, then how come people take their lives? No one enjoys taking their lives? No one would want to kill themselves unless they know they have no other alternative and it’s the last resort and they can’t bear the pain. To add to that, it is said in Islam that a person who kills himself will go straight to hell. Thus, this means that not only did the person suffer in this world, but he will also suffer an eternity in the hereafter. How is God being loving and caring as his asmaaul-husna suggest if a person suffers in this world and also in the hereafter? 

Assalaam Alaikum, when you said "Allah SWT Condemns the act of suicide" it is a very grey statement, as it is not a definitive statement for every case. Allah SWT Says in the Quran very clearly "There is no compulsion in religion". Just like theft, the punishment for it is the cutting off of the hand, but do you just cut off the hand just like that? No, there are 19 CONDITIONS that have to be met (such as he did not steal because he was hungry, he did not steal because he was in extreme difficulty etc) before that punishment can be carried out, and only IF ALL those conditions are met, then the person gets that punishment.

Similarly when it is said that Allah SWT Condemns suicide and the person goes straight to hell, WHAT CONDITION was it that he committed suicide? In the Quran it is said that Allah SWT is closer to you than your jugular vein, this mean He KNOWS YOU BETTER THAN you know yourself, He Knows EXACTLY what pain you are going through and what difficulties you have faced. Was it unbearable difficulty? or did u just commit suicide because you didnt want to go through life and wanted an easy short way out?

So no I do not believe at all that a person who is going through so much extreme difficulty and unbearable physical and emotional pain who kills himself goes straight to hell, as per hadith,  Allah SWT is One who when He created mercy Divided it into 100 parts and sent only one part down to earth (so whatever mercy there has been since the beginning of time between a mother and her child, and between people throughout the ages, and the mercy that has been enjoyed by most of mankind such as life, air, water, food, shelter) and the rest of the 99 parts He will Keep with Him to judge manking on the Day of Judgement. Then it is also said that whatever pain a man suffers in this world alleviates a sin, and then after he is dead if he still has a lot of sins he gets punishment in the grave to alleviate some sins, then after this if he still has some sins he receives punishment in Barzakh (purgatory), then if he STILL HAS SOME SINS then he is judged with those 99 parts of mercy by Allah. NOW, after all this, if a person STILL ends up in hell Wallahi that is someone who truly deserves to goto hell lol

THATS how Merciful Allah SWT, never despair in His Mercy. His NAME is Mercy.

Now also remember, that EVERY injustice in this world will be met with justice in the hereafter, and as for the poor / rich, there is another hadith by the Prophet S.A.W that "the poor will enter Jannah 500 years before the rich". Whether this means time or distance travelled Allah SWT Knows Best, but yes this is not a simple black/white issue, and I end this answer with one of Imam Ali A.S quotes "There is enough light for anyone who wants to see".

• Advanced Member

wow! absolutely perfect answer!! that Answers my question broo!! thanks a lot!

There still are lots of other questions, hopefully I can get satisfying answers like the one above.

Habeeb Ibn Madaher narrated that once he asked Imam Hussain: “What were you before the creation of Adam?” Imam replied: “We were spiritual lights orbiting the highest Heaven, and teaching the angels praising and glorification.” (Biharol Anwar, Vol.60, P.311)

Whenever I go for a majlis, I always hear about the magnificence of our Prophets and Imams. They were normal human beings who had reached the highest possible stages in the spiritual world. However, the preacher also says that our Imams and Prophets were made from the light/ Nur of heaven. Doesn’t this make the Imams and Prophets extraordinary? We are always told to strive to become like them and they are our role models, yet they have been created with something special that none of us have. How is it just?

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Whenever I go for a majlis, I always hear about the magnificence of our Prophets and Imams. They were normal human beings who had reached the highest possible stages in the spiritual world. However, the preacher also says that our Imams and Prophets were made from the light/ Nur of heaven. Doesn’t this make the Imams and Prophets extraordinary? We are always told to strive to become like them and they are our role models, yet they have been created with something special that none of us have. How is it just?

Salam bro

Inshallah, by the help of Allah(swt), I will try my best to answer your question and give you a satisfying answer. 

Firstly, regarding those doubts you are having, I want to assure you that they are completely normal to have and many people experience them through out their lives. However, it is important to note that these doubts are in reality, the whispers of Shaytan, as he is trying to deceive and bring you away from the path towards Allah(swt). Here is the important thing to consider though. The fact that you had those doubts, wrote them down due to concern and came here to ask for guidance is a clear sign showing that you are a sincere person deserving Allah(swt)'s mercy because you fear him. In other words, you indeed have faith in Allah(swt), and out of fear from Allah(swt),you came here to address those doubts.

If you did not fear Allah(swt), then you would not bother coming here in the first place, but rather, by the help of Shaytan, your arrogance and pride would have driven you to leave Islam(Allah(swt) forbid) like some ex-muslim that are coming out on the media these days, preaching against Islam when they themselves are are ignorant on it's teachings. 

Here is an interesting article that discusses the issues with doubts and does address the main points I stated. Despite the author is Sunni, it's still helpful. http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=1946&CATE=101

Now to answer your main question and that is, why Imams(as) and prophets(as) are specifically chosen by Allah(swt) among the rest of mankind and how that is considered just. 

Now before I give you a direct answer, I'm going to firstly, discuss one of his divine attributes of 'lm Al-Ghayb(knowledge of the unseen) and how it's relevant to him choosing a person to be either an Imam or prophet. Moreover, Allah(swt) is all knowing and his divine knowledge is beyond the intellectual capacity of any of his creations to comprehend, be it from either mankind or Jinn, Moreover, just as a baby in it's mother womb, who's intellect is yet to develop and be able order to comprehend the reality of the world ,complexity of the universe , time and space or even it's surrounding environments, so to is our limited intellect not powerful enough to comprehend Allah(swt) divine knowledge.

Moreover, Allah(swt) is the only one when the day of Resurrection will be, he is the only one who knows who will enter Jannah and who will enter the hell fire, he is the only one that knows the fate of a new born baby, whether it's will end up in the hell fire or Jannah. In fact, Allah(swt) knew about appointing Muhamed(pbuh) as the last and final messenger for humanity before he even created the universe. This is the knowledge of the unseen that Allah(swt) has. With this knowledge he has, he is able to tell who will have faith in him and who will not. 

Moreover, it is important to note that Allah(swt) favors a person for their piety, and not for their attributes. In other words, he favors a person pious more than a person that is not. A simple analogy that can reflect on this, is a teacher and his students. Ideally, a teacher wants best for all his students and does not intentionally discriminate any one of them. However, the teacher does favor a hard working student that strives for success, over a bad student that does not have intentions in learning. In fact, the teacher would wish the success for that bad student, but if that bad student does not help himself, then the teacher would feel obliged to fail him and reward the hard working student. Ideally, for this class room, no one would criticize the student for being unjust for favoring the hard working over students over the bad ones. In fact, if the teacher awarded the top student in the class for showing the best effort in the class, it wouldn't be labeled as injustice, because that top student deserved to be rewarded for their efforts in the first place. 

With that being said, Allah(swt), to some extent, judges his creation similarly. The only difference is that he does not favor a person that gets good grades in school or makes the most money but rather he favors the one who has the highest level of TAQWA(piety), faith and has the strongest desire to reach him. Moreover, it is up to the person how much they strive towards Allah(swt), that is, by knowing his attributes, and obeying his commandments, and at the end, Allah(swt) will measure his Iman based on his level of piety. Everyone has different levels of piety, that no one but Allah(swt) is able to measure. In other words, the more pious a person is, the closer he is to Allah(swt), and the less pious he is, the farther he is from Allah(swt). Moreover, Allah(swt) did not decide how much each person's piety is, but rather has given the person the freewill to work on their piety themselves. In other words, if  person is more pious than the other, it is not because Allah(swt) purposely made that person better, but rather because the person himself, through freewill, chose to reach a high level of piety. It's similar to the earlier example I mentioned with the students and the teacher, you can say a person's piety has a correlation with his/her ability to study hard and achieve good grades. 

With that being said, it is clear now, that Allah(swt) favors those that are the most pious over others, because they worked hard in the first place to reach such a high level. In case for prophets and Imams, they, compared to all humanity and jinns are the most pious and due to their high spirituality, are the closest to Allah(swt). Allah(swt) did not intentionally favor them over his creation ,but rather, they themselves proved to Allah(swt), through their hard work that they are more deserving for his reward. Moreover, as mentioned earlier, since Allah(swt) has 'ilm Al-Ghayb, he is able to know who will be the most pious among all his creation, starting from Adam(as), to Muhamed(pbuh). In other words, if Allah(swt) created mankind but without appointing prophets or Imams, these people, via their freewill, will work the hardest among all mankind to reach Allah(swt) and achieve the highest level of piety. 

With that being said, Allah(swt) has given them a special status and be an example for mankind to follow, because they are the ones that are closest to him. Moreover, this is not injustice from Allah(swt), just as it is not injustice for a teacher to reward his top student with an award, but rather, just as the student should be praised for their hard work and be set an example for other students, so too should prophets(as) and Imams(as) be praised and be considered the best examples for us.

Sorry for the long response. Inshallah I addressed your concerns. Let us know if you have other doubts, and maybe other knowledgeable brothers and sisters can address them. 

(wasalam)

Let's start with the simple analogy. 

Imagine a class room , with 50 kids and a teacher. Let's pretend the teacher is a just teacher that does not discriminate his students or favor one over the other in any other way. The teacher wishes a bright and prosperous future for all his students and does not to fail any of them, however 

• Advanced Member

Another question that has been bugging my mind is:

One of the most hurtful aspects in our community today is how we spend our money that Allah (s.w.t) has blessed us with. We as Shia including myself are the biggest hypocrites, as we always pray in mosque that the war in Palestine, Afghanistan, Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, and the list goes on and on should be stopped, whilst we purchase Israeli products daily. The most disturbing part is that many a times Nestle chocolates are given out in mosque as fateha. Shouldn’t buying Israeli products be classified as a MAJOR sin? Moreover, majority of our Shia shops sell and distribute Israeli products. Computer shops, beauty product shops, clothing shops etc. owned by our fellow Muslim brothers earn lots of money for the Israeli companies, the same companies that use the money to kill our fellow Muslim brothers. Without a doubt, it is one of the most sickening diseases in our community, and if nothing is done about it we should most definitely burn in hell for our negligence

Also, we know how the western countries such as the US are so pro-Israeli, thus isn’t it our duty to ensure we do not give them revenue unless absolutely necessary? Shouldn’t travelling to the Western place for holidays be forbidden when there are other destinations available? Or spending thousands of dollars for further education when there are other countries to go to.

• Advanced Member

Another question that has been bugging my mind is:

One of the most hurtful aspects in our community today is how we spend our money that Allah (s.w.t) has blessed us with. We as Shia including myself are the biggest hypocrites, as we always pray in mosque that the war in Palestine, Afghanistan, Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, and the list goes on and on should be stopped, whilst we purchase Israeli products daily. The most disturbing part is that many a times Nestle chocolates are given out in mosque as fateha. Shouldn’t buying Israeli products be classified as a MAJOR sin? Moreover, majority of our Shia shops sell and distribute Israeli products. Computer shops, beauty product shops, clothing shops etc. owned by our fellow Muslim brothers earn lots of money for the Israeli companies, the same companies that use the money to kill our fellow Muslim brothers. Without a doubt, it is one of the most sickening diseases in our community, and if nothing is done about it we should most definitely burn in hell for our negligence

Also, we know how the western countries such as the US are so pro-Israeli, thus isn’t it our duty to ensure we do not give them revenue unless absolutely necessary? Shouldn’t travelling to the Western place for holidays be forbidden when there are other destinations available? Or spending thousands of dollars for further education when there are other countries to go to.

(bismillah)

(salam) brother 

First and foremost, before going addressing your questions directly, it is important to keep in mind, that Islam as a whole, meaning the ideal and pure teachings of Muhamed(pbuh) and the noble Imams(as), do NOT necessarily have to reflect entirely on the actions of Muslims done today. Let me elaborate by relating to a real life example.

Suppose a person who is 25 years old, well matured and is able to use his intellect to help him differentiate right from wrong is born into a noble family. Assuming his parents strive to raise him the best and were sincere in their work in teaching him from what is right and wrong. Moreover, if that person , after being fully taught , decided from his free will to commit haram, and is aware of the consequences it may cause at the end, despite being advised and warned from his parents, would it be fair to hold the parents accountable for the mistake that their son caused? Of course, not, because that person is not ignorant ,nor lacks an intellect for him to know what he did is wrong, and therefore he is held responsible for his actions.

Like wise for Islam. Islam is the perfect religion taught by the best of the people; the prophet(pbuh) and his Ahlulbayt(as). They teach us Islam in it's ideal form, so it is up to us, based on your use of your intellect, be able to learn this knowledge and apply it the correct way. 

In regards to buying Israeli products, ideally it is wrong. Moreover, the Ulamas are aware that such products originate from a source that is anti-Islam and actually issued verdicts to prohibit buying such products. Here is what Sayed Ali Al-Sistani has to say about purchasing Israeli products:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234992390-israeli-products-haram/

Here are also relevant threads that discuss the prohibition of products, inshallah you find them useful. 

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234979548-boycott-all-israeli-business-mcdonalds-cola/

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234995882-boycotting-israel/

Moreover, it is worth to mention that even though that some people buy these haram products, they do so due to the lack of awareness and ignorance. Those who do not know will not be held accountable if the awareness did not reach them, but those who are not ignorant and are aware, will face the consequences if they continue to deliberately buy them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I hope you can answer my question too. 

If God created us, hasn't he also created the bad in us. Even if the environment is responsible for the way our character has developed, wasn't it God who has placed us in these families? Even if we chose to be part of that family in 3alam al barsaq, our choice would be according to our will and our will is our nature, which again is created by God. Can he punish us for what he has made us to be? We are always given a choice, and we choose according to our nature/character. 

God is most merciful most fair. But that means if what I said is true (God created all that is in and around us), no one is punishable including satan. If you can answer this- you'll do me a HUGE favour. 

• Veteran Member

I hope you can answer my question too. 

If God created us, hasn't he also created the bad in us. Even if the environment is responsible for the way our character has developed, wasn't it God who has placed us in these families? Even if we chose to be part of that family in 3alam al barsaq, our choice would be according to our will and our will is our nature, which again is created by God. Can he punish us for what he has made us to be? We are always given a choice, and we choose according to our nature/character. 

God is most merciful most fair. But that means if what I said is true (God created all that is in and around us), no one is punishable including satan. If you can answer this- you'll do me a HUGE favour. 

If I may answer this...Did God create the bad in us?

This concept goes back as far as Christianity's original sin, which is somewhat flawed. It has been misinterpreted, and misused since the beginning of time. God is not sitting in Heaven designing babies for this world like a short order cook. Little of this, little of that, some good, some bad, this one cute, this one ugly, this one deformed.

In other words God did not create you nor I, we were born. God created everything including plants and animals, and humans, and gave them the ability to procreate. Out of all the trees in my back yard, none have been created, they all came from seeds or roots resurfacing. They are as perfect as the genetic pattern used to bring them to life.. 

Let's not confuse the miracle of creation with the miracle of birth. God was done creating long ago, but He still gives life to that seed  It's the deliberate design of genetics.

This does create a problem tho, for those who want to live for themselves. If they can blame God for their structure the onus is off them to obey as well. :I'm not responsible for what I became" probably won't work on judgement day.

God also gave us a free will. He could have made perfect robots that praise Him all day, and they would still be here today playing their pre-recorded empty praises, but He wanted humans to willingly love. He gave us the ability to choose whom we love and how we show it. Of course if you choose blame and hate you are still allowed to live your life, it just may not end as well.

Is that fair? Is that just? One of the common mistakes people make is to judge God from a human perspective. The entire exercise is blasphemy once you think of it.