Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mu3lam

Scientific "miracles" In The Qur'an

(bismillah)

(salam)

On Monday I am giving a presentation about the trustworthiness of the Qur'an.  Basically this Christian pastor and I are discussing why I left Christianity for Islam.  There will be many many meetings and I am making a PowerPoint presentation for each "meeting".  After we are done discussing, I think it would be interesting to rent out a room or something like at a library and invite the general public to view my presentations.  Anyways, that's not important.

I am looking for the scientific aspects of the Qur'an.  I know a lot of them by heart such as the formation of the human embryo, the heavens expanding (big bang), the mountains acting as pegs in the ground, etc.  The only problem with this is that I am unable to find most of the references.  I tried Google but most of the websites are badly made propaganda that no intelligent person can take seriously.

So if you know any particular ayatz that talk about scientific knowledge that couldn't have been known 1,400 years ago, please post them here.  The more the better.  But nothing too strange.  I know some people have tried to twist the Qur'an to make it more than it is.  I don't want that.  I want a reasonable overview to give, not some propagandistic nonsense.  

Jazak'Allahu khayr

(bismillah)

(salam)

First of all, Masha'Allah. Second of all, JazakAllah. Third, I will try to find some of my old posts. I think I have a few that are less known than most to contribute that I stumbled across when reading the Quran.

There is one that I have on hand right now though:

And here is a post that I made a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpVkZEok6tM

Listen to what the man says after the "Rock Music" part. When he mentions the distress signal of the Queen to her workers.

Now look at what the Quran says:

oLPqMxq.png

http://corpus.quran.com/wordmorphology.jsp?location=(27:19:4)

Now I wonder... How did a man, thousands of years ago (the story being told 1400 years ago when the Quran was revealed), know that:

1. The ants have a faculty of "speech"?

2. That one of the ants can warn the others of coming danger through this "speech"?

3. Whether this (commander/warner) ant was was male or female?

4. That ants even have genders?

The fact that the Quran referred to the ant as "she" and not "he" or "it" shows Allah's infinite wisdom. This is only one of the hundreds, maybe thousands of miracles that reside within the Quran.

Here is a video about black holes and pulsars mentioned in the Quran if you want to watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss-fuY3hTO8

And here is another video about the Quranic miracle of the number 19:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMOdWPOdhNY

Oh, and if he is one of those people who try to say that the translations are different for the same verse and therefore the verse about the universe is expanding is false (people have said to me that the translations were biased by men trying to create meaning which didn't exist in the Quran)... Give him this:

Zk9QeNY.png

(wasalam)

Edited by BuggyLemon

The Qur'an is a book of moral guidance, not science, and so it would be better to focus on that aspect than some dubious 'miracles', that are in any case not decisive. The Prophet (pbuh) and the Imams (as) never appealed to scientific miracles in order to prove Islam, so I don't see why we should. However, if one were to go down this line, then at the very least it should be based on real scholarship from Islamic and scientific scholars, and not random people off the Internet or the likes of Zakir Naik.

(bismillah)

(salam)

This is true, to some extent. The Quran is a book of morals, but it does have scientific miracles to be the roots and the base of the moral arguments. What I mean by this is that these miracles are meant to prove the validity of the moral arguments themselves (in terms of their being from Allah), otherwise I could just as easily accept the moral system of Hinduism because there would be no logical proof for Islam's correctness.

You are right in that most people do not convert just for scientific miracles. They convert because the morality of Islam attracts them.

(wasalam)

If I were you, I'd stay away from this area. Many of the so-called scientific miracles in the Qur'an don't stand up very well upon closer examination, and are more a case of people reading too much into things that aren't there. It's also very dangerous to try to interpret eternal truth in light of ever-changing scientific theories. This is the kind if thing that can happen if people aren't careful:

The Qur'an is a book of moral guidance, not science, and so it would be better to focus on that aspect than some dubious 'miracles', that are in any case not decisive. The Prophet (pbuh) and the Imams (as) never appealed to scientific miracles in order to prove Islam, so I don't see why we should. However, if one were to go down this line, then at the very least it should be based on real scholarship from Islamic and scientific scholars, and not random people off the Internet or the likes of Zakir Naik.

One last thing to bear in mind is that if someone converts to Islam based in some 'scientific miracle' (as many have), and then they later find out that the interpretation of the ayah they were given in fact doesn't agree with modern science, then this might lead them to leave Islam (since their reason for converting no longer exists).

Sorry but that's utter idiocy. There are also scientists that have converted to Islam after having seen the scientific miracles of the Quran. Aren't you also the same guy who said that sahih hadiths about Ashura were fake because you believed Prophets (PBUT) didn't have knowledge of the future?

Also to the people above trying to say that the scientific evidence of the Quran is insignificant then you should probably read the Quran again and probably take an academic course on Islam.

Edited by This field is required

Aren't you also the same guy who said that sahih hadiths about Ashura were fake because you believed Prophets (PBUT) didn't have knowledge of the future?

What sahih hadith are you talking about? If it's ones about how every Prophet since Adam (as) was mourning Ashura and making ziyarah to Karbala, then yeah, I probably did say they sound fake, because they do. On the other hand, if it was a hadith about the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) talking about Karbala, then I doubt I said those sounded fake.

Also to the people above trying to say that the scientific evidence of the Quran is insignificant then you should probably read the Quran again and probably take an academic course on Islam.

Please tell me which academic course in Islam talks about scientific miracles in the Qur'an.

By the way, some of you may want to read the following article by Hamza Tsortis. I'm not really a fan of his, but he is known as someone who pretends to have an academic approach, who used to be a big proponent of the 'scientific miracles' approach, and has probably written some of the more academic articles on the subject that are available in the Internet.

http://www.hamzatzortzis.com/essays-articles/exploring-the-quran/does-the-quran-contain-scientific-miracles-a-new-approach/

I believe you need to not go on either extreme. Don't bend vauge verses to scientific discoveries. At the same time , acknowledge the fact that the Quran, while it is not a book of science , talk about natural phenomenon. Allah swt describes the stages human being undergoes when in the womb of the mother.

We can establish with scientific discoveries exactly what happens. It is not the 'theory of embrology' - we are certain what happens when, and what everything looks like. So this aspect will never change.

The only thing left to do is, put the Quran next to what we have discovered - are they concordant ?

Also take into account words can vary in meaning.

I believe the Qurans take on embrology is extremely accurate. The miracle is Muhammed pbuh never copied a single error from galen of hippocrates.

We can establish with scientific discoveries exactly what happens. It is not the 'theory of embrology' - we are certain what happens when, and what everything looks like. So this aspect will never change.

This isn't exactly true, As technology has improved, so has our knowledge of what happens inside the womb. Therefore as technology continues to improve, so will our understanding of the fine details. Obviously nothing will change in terms of the broad outlines of what happens. The problem with interpreting the Qur'an to agree with the current state of scientific knowledge is that you are tying it to something that is constantly evolving, and therefore so will your interpretation. Therefore it is better to leave the Qur'an out of this completely. Nobody ever needed 'scientific miracles' in the past, so there is no reason they should need them now.

This isn't exactly true, As technology has improved, so has our knowledge of what happens inside the womb. Therefore as technology continues to improve, so will our understanding of the fine details. Obviously nothing will change in terms of the broad outlines of what happens. The problem with interpreting the Qur'an to agree with the current state of scientific knowledge is that you are tying it to something that is constantly evolving, and therefore so will your interpretation. Therefore it is better to leave the Qur'an out of this completely. Nobody ever needed 'scientific miracles' in the past, so there is no reason they should need them now.

While i agree that scientific knowledge constantly is adapting, i can say for certain we know almost everything we need to with regards to detail embrology. We can see using powerful microscopes exactly what happens every second from a zygote, and even before that. We know the physiology and function.

Other parts of science , one may say 'well it's only a theory, so we should not be quick to jump', but i would say if Allah swt is himself giving you the stages of the developtment, now that the science is so advanced and unless our microscopes have been showing us wrong images, we can put the Quran and the science side by side and compare.

Allah swt is describng a natural phenomenon, within a spiritual context.

He states, we are first a Nutfah, then an Alaqah, then a Mudgah, and then the bones form and almost rapidly after/at the same time, flesh forms after the bone.

We only have a few choices:

1. The Quran is accurate (comparing the most common meanings of words)

2. The Quran is inaccurate.

If it is indeed accurate, is the information mentioned common knowledge of the time, or knowlege one could easily obtain ?

The argument goes further:

1. If the knowledge is different to the common knowledge, and could not possibly have been obtained it is astonishing.

2. If the knowlege was scattered , it is even more so astonishing Muhammed pbuh managed to ignore all the inaccuracies, and only pick what was correct.

A lot of people speculated on human developtment - since it could not properly be seen.

For instance, the verse about the 'Big bang' - well we have a tradition saying it is talking about something else, and not the big bang.

Therefore it's key not to go to either extreme's. The ones that are overzealous, and the ones that ignore the fact the Quran talks about clear natural phenomenon, and science has developed with regards to certain fields an almost absolutely coherent understanding which will not change by much if at all.

Hamzah and the other brother in the video did the following things:

1. Made the mistake of not realizing he was an embryologist.

2. Said the flesh comes after the bones, and not mention the fact the Quranic grammar used denotes a simultaneous or almost immediate process, whereas when the Quran describes the other stages, it uses grammar to denote a longer-term process.

3. Mention 'mountain as pegs' in a very poor way which was not needed.

Edited by Tawheed313

If I were you, I'd stay away from this area. Many of the so-called scientific miracles in the Qur'an don't stand up very well upon closer examination, and are more a case of people reading too much into things that aren't there. It's also very dangerous to try to interpret eternal truth in light of ever-changing scientific theories. This is the kind if thing that can happen if people aren't careful:

One last thing to bear in mind is that if someone converts to Islam based in some 'scientific miracle' (as many have), and then they later find out that the interpretation of the ayah they were given in fact doesn't agree with modern science, then this might lead them to leave Islam (since their reason for converting no longer exists).

ah thats aronra in that video, hes actually a pretty cool guy (the guy with the long black hair on the left).

Edited by iCambrian