Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did Yazeed Order Imam Hussain (As) To Be Killed?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

There are a few things to note.

1. Yazid sent assassins to Mecca to martyr Imam Hussain(a. s.)

2. Heads of shuhada were brought in front of Yazid after the battle of Karbala and he made a show of it. If he didn't order their killings or was averse to killing them he might have punished the killers at that time.

3. He kept the household of Imam Hussain(a. s.) imprisoned for some time before letting them go.

All these points suggest that he was as vile as he is portrayed in the history books and had no remorse whatsoever for martyring Imam Hussain(a. s.) and taking his household prisoner. 

• Advanced Member

The most inappropriate of things to be brought up in a Shii forum. There is no doubt Yazeed (LA) murdered Imam Hussayn (as). 

He (عليه السلام) said, ‘Three are the worst of creations, which afflicted the best of the creations,
1.    Abū Sufyān, he fought the Messenger of Allāh and hated him (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)
2.    Mu`āwiyah, he fought `Alī (عليه السلام) and hated him (عليه السلام)
3.    Yazīd b. Mu`āwiyah, may Allāh curse him, he fought al-Ḥusayn b. `Alī (عليه السلام) and hated him until he killed him (عليه السلام)

This is taken from Al-Kafi Volume 8. Graded as Hasan, you see Nader Zaweri's page

The most inappropriate of things to be brought up in a Shii forum. There is no doubt Yazeed (LA) murdered Imam Hussayn (as). 

He (عليه السلام) said, ‘Three are the worst of creations, which afflicted the best of the creations,
1.    Abū Sufyān, he fought the Messenger of Allāh and hated him (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)
2.    Mu`āwiyah, he fought `Alī (عليه السلام) and hated him (عليه السلام)
3.    Yazīd b. Mu`āwiyah, may Allāh curse him, he fought al-Ḥusayn b. `Alī (عليه السلام) and hated him until he killed him (عليه السلام)

This is taken from Al-Kafi Volume 8. Graded as Hasan, you see Nader Zaweri's page

so was it Yazid b. Muawiyah who killed Hussain (as) or were it the soldiers and Sinan bin Anas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Ubaydullah Ibn Ziyad (the governor of Yazid in Kufah) was leaving Iraq to Syria after killing Hussian (as) in the battle of Karbala, with a guard of his followers. Shuraih (the payroll Judge who gave verdict that the blood of Imam Husain is Halaal) noticed that he was silent for a long time, he approached him and said: "O Ubaydullah, I think it bothered you that you killed Husain?! Ubaydullah said: No! Indeed Yazid had ordered me to either kill Husain or he (Yazid) will kill me.

Sunni reference: History of Ibn Athir, v4, p140

The above gives evidence to the fact that he was Yazid who gave the direct order to kill Imam Husain (as). Later, when the scandal of his horrible crime and the abuse of the household of the Prophet started shaking his regime, he condemned the act of Ibn Ziyad in public and disassociated himself. It has also been reported that:

Yazid ordered the head of Husain brought to Syria, when it was put to him he started abusing it and beating it with his stick and said the following Poetry:

I wish that my elders in Badr witness the fear of Khazraj from the falling of the swords. Then they would have cherished and savored (my act) and by saying O Yazid may your arm be powerful (for getting revenge by killing Husain).

Sunni refernces:

- Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar al-Haythami, end of ch. 11, pp 331-332

- al-Radd Ala al-Muta'assib al-Aneed, by Ibn al-Jawzi, p47-48

- Tarikh Alisalm v5, p18-19