Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
-Enlightened

Why Cant We Pray When We Have Our Menses ?

Rate this topic

Salam Alaykum  Sisters ( and non-sisters

Why cant we pray when we are on our periods? what is the mystical reason behind that ? 

I don't think its because of the state of Tahara because wudhu is allowed when we have our periods. Plus, all the worship performed with the wudhu are accepted (such as dua's and tasbih)  . Everything is accepted except the 5 daily prayers and fasting?

I tried googling and I got into a Taoism website that said that females lose divine energy when they have their menstruation :unsure: 

Could this be the reason why our prayers are not permissible ? because we don't have enough divine energy inside us during that period of time? And that we cannot connect to god properly ?

If you're too embarrassed to reply, you could PM me

sorry for the awkwardness 

Wasalaam !!

I had always understood the issue to be one of tahirat.

Not fasting makes sense due to fluid and iron loss.

Thank you for your reply

They told me its the issue of taharat, but then why is Wudhu accepted during menstruation ? its actually highly emphasized according to our hadith .. Aren't we Najis for that period of time that wudhu should only be accepted after doing ghusl ?

yes the fasting makes sense i guess .

I don't know why wudhu is accepted. Maybe because it is good to be clean?

Yea that's what I was thinking.. its like showering and they probably didnt have access to showers back in the ancient days, so they would perform wudhu?? But then, if wudhu makes me clean and the reason why I cant pray is because I am un-clean and I can only clean after 7 days. .. isn't a bit contradictory 

I'm just saying my hypothesis .

I received a PM from a member who said the following 

''Its because of how holy a woman is. She has a high spiritual status because she is the only creature on earth that can create a new human life . When a woman becomes pregnant, her spiritual status is raised greatly because she has crated a new life. However, during menses, a potential human life is destroyed so her spiritual status is lowered''

thus, this explains her low spiritual status in front of god and her low spiritual energy to connect with the divine.. I guess that taoism was right after all.

any member who has other hypothesis can write their post or can PM me ..even if its a brother.

Edited by -Enlightened

Wudhu is accepted as a mustahib act but does not bring ritual tahara.

It's same as whenever you take shower, you are recommended to do the ghusl, such as shower after workout, after coming from outside and such. But none of this ghusl is with which you could pray salat. Only the conditions which make you ritually unpure such as cycles, janaba etc., the ghusl after this that you can pray salat without wudhu.

One more thing, you become ritually najis only for ibadaat part, but generally speaking you are never najis.. After all you are cooking food, and your friends touching you won't make you najis.

Wudhu is accepted as a mustahib act but does not bring ritual tahara.

It's same as whenever you take shower, you are recommended to do the ghusl, such as shower after workout, after coming from outside and such. But none of this ghusl is with which you could pray salat. Only the conditions which make you ritually unpure such as cycles, janaba etc., the ghusl after this that you can pray salat without wudhu.

One more thing, you become ritually najis only for ibadaat part, but generally speaking you are never najis.. After all you are cooking food, and your friends touching you won't make you najis.

thank you very much  ! interesting perspective 

Assalamu Alaikum wb, 

Imam Ridha (a.s.) has said, "When a woman has her monthly period, she does not pray because she is in the state of impurity (of blood), and Allah likes to be worshipped only by a pure (tahir) person

Walaikum Assalam wb

(salam)

Thank you 

but if wudhu makes you tahir, and if wudhu is recommended when you have your periods, then why doesn't  it make you tahir to pray as well ?

I want a mystical explanation

the same reason why humanity cant pray without wudhu.

thank you for your reply, but wudhu is permissible when you have your periods .

Brother waiting for him have cleared it a bit in his post above. He said that Wudhu doesn't totally make us tahir to pray, which is the only logical explanation .

Anyone who has other replies, feel free to add it

Edited by -Enlightened

(salam)

well personally i would not like it if it was wajib for us to pray on our periods,i mean come on.. we have enough drama going on during that period, we don't have the energy to pray and 'talk to God' when we are that miserable lol  it makes sense to me, i would rather call it 'rahmah' from Allah (aw) for us (women) to free us from the wajib of salat and fasting during that period.... :)

Salam,

actually not being able to pray due to this disadvantage makes me feel stressed, anxious, because prayer is a form of meditation and medication that keeps me (us) going through the day..

randomness aside, As sister littlepilosopher mentioned the above quote, it clearly justs your question. in other words, We must remain clean when standing before our Creator..   You don't really lose that much energy, as you're still consuming food, so that sounds like an excuse to me.. Nevertheless, there are cases whereby females experience a lot of abdominal pain, and this could cause a lot of pain when standing up or sitting down. So when in pain, our prayers become focused on the pain rather than our Lord.   

During ramadhan, having severe uterus pains need medication or warm foods to keep us alive from the pain.. so it would be a challenge to be able to Fast for such a long duration of time as well as endure the intense visceral pain. 

Allah SWT has created every law and object to such perfection, we must not question the Quran the sayings of the Prophet pbuh /ahlulbayt (as).

Edited by Anisa Bandeh Khoda

Anonymous Member sent me this on PM and I found very informative :

First of all my dear sister the Reason that you have mentioned that people mention "The Women do not have Divine Energy" Is a false point of view with no bases whatsoever, as we know the Nature of the Human body has nothing to do with the mind, nor the soul in terms of level faith and Belief. Such a Theory is proven false, as the Concept of Dualism here is take to a Radical point of view, which in some way would be Rejected by the Views Plato.

The reason of not being able to Pray, is that that such a Process in Women does not Allow the body to stay at all times in the state of "Tahara" And therefore praying would not allow it so, in Addition one must not pray those Obligatory prayers that have past during the days "When you were in that State".

However Dear sister, you are Allowed to Read the Quran (But not touch the verse and Do not read Chapters which contain an Obligatory Sujjud, Which you need to be Purified for), And you are Allowed to Engage in Supplication (Dua's) and so on. In fact it is Must'ahab to wake at the Fajir Prayer and be on your prayer mat and do "Tasb'eeh" and so on. So your Connection with Allah and spirituality is there, and being in your period is no Excuse (for Any sister) to not be able to Supplicate or Have a word with Allah.

Wuduh Makes you "Tahiir" yes Sister, However the Continuous blood flow in women for that particular "Organ" for Women, as When you menstruate, your body sheds the lining of the uterus (womb), and according to NHS Health Organisation The average amount of blood lost during a period is 30-40ml (millilitres), with nine out of 10 women losing less than 80ml. Therefore, heavy menstrual bleeding is considered to be 60-80ml or more in each cycle. And Remember this is a Continuous cycle, therefore to be cautious of such is more Wise.

Salam Alaykum  Sisters ( and non-sisters) 

Why cant we pray when we are on our periods? what is the mystical reason behind that ? 

I don't think its because of the state of Tahara because wudhu is allowed when we have our periods. Plus, all the worship performed with the wudhu are accepted (such as dua's and tasbih)  . Everything is accepted except the 5 daily prayers and fasting?

I tried googling and I got into a Taoism website that said that females lose divine energy when they have their menstruation :unsure:

Could this be the reason why our prayers are not permissible ? because we don't have enough divine energy inside us during that period of time? And that we cannot connect to god properly ?

If you're too embarrassed to reply, you could PM me

sorry for the awkwardness 

Wasalaam !!

Well Allah evened the score out by accepting your prayers as wajib 6 years before males. 

If it is because of the reason of taharat then why is it that after 10 days if the woman is still bleeding she is supposed to pray?

I think that after 10 days it is no longer considered normal menstruation.  How long after childbirth before a woman is tahir? I am pretty sure it is normal at that time for the bleeding to continue for some weeks.

Pardon the following question. Any male reading may want to stop now. What about the use of tampons so that the blood is controlled in its exit?

I think that after 10 days it is no longer considered normal menstruation.  How long after childbirth before a woman is tahir? I am pretty sure it is normal at that time for the bleeding to continue for some weeks.

Pardon the following question. Any male reading may want to stop now. What about the use of tampons so that the blood is controlled in its exit?

Yeah but my question was if blood is considered impure then even if it comes out after 10 days it should still be considered impure yes? So if the reason given is because of impurity then why are women required to pray after 10 days? And yes the tampon question is also very interesting wonder what the answer to that is.

After ten days the situation is considered the same as a person who has urinary or bowel incontinence or an open wound. It is unreasonable to prohibit them from making salah entirely but there are steps to be taken to be as clean as possible before each prayer.

Have we lost our modesty? Are we not embarrassed about things that we used to be so shy to talk so openly with guys? What has become to our society, why do women think talking like this has become all of a sudden okay?

Tell me, would you talk to a bunch of guys about this same subject in real life? Can you imagine Fatima Al Zahra (A.S) talking about this with guys? Just because it's online does not mean we can talk about anything. 

How hard can it be to talk with your mom about this, or your girlfriends or even search about it. 

Now the guys here are thinking "Ohhh, now I can have this chance to talk about periods with women. While I am at it, I can even maybe get closer to the sisters here. And sick, I can even send them private messages about periods, hehe nice". :shifty:  

You should't let guys get into this kind of subject. It's really 3aybe, not everything you can talk with men. There is limits.

Edited by faith200

^everything I know about the subject came from reading Syed Sistani's rulings. Our scholars are exempted from maleness?

Plus males (husbands, fathers, brothers) tend to be creeped out by period topics, not interested in them. On this site we are able to discuss private questions with a little bit of anonymity, and nobody has given any personal details. Up to now everyone has kept the conversation very scientific. Islam encourages seeking answers not declaring certain subjects taboo. As long as we maintain decorum, there is no immodesty in discussing important matters among women or even men with knowledge.

Plus it IS in the Sisters' Forum.

It is in the sisters forum, but she welcomed men in here too.

You would be surprised how many creepers here would be interested in reading these kind of topics.

Have we lost our modesty? Are we not embarrassed about things that we used to be so shy to talk so openly with guys? What has become to our society, why do women think talking like this has become all of a sudden okay?

Tell me, would you talk to a bunch of guys about this same subject in real life? Can you imagine Fatima Al Zahra (A.S) talking about this with guys? Just because it's online does not mean we can talk about anything. 

How hard can it be to talk with your mom about this, or your girlfriends or even search about it. 

Now the guys here are thinking "Ohhh, now I can have this chance to talk about periods with women. While I am at it, I can even maybe get closer to the sisters here. And sick, I can even send them private messages about periods, hehe nice". :shifty:  

You should't let guys get into this kind of subject. It's really 3aybe, not everything you can talk with men. There is limits.

Salaam sister,

First of all, i applaud you for your modesty and your love for fatima alzahra

If you think that this topic degrades your hijab, you are welcome to leave anytime.

Secondly, the reason why i allowed brothers is because i know many brothers are knowlegable and could contribute in the knowledge . Sayed sistani and other scholars and to be sheikh are examples.. as well as gynecologist and experts who can be males

What we do on Pm is not anyone`s business ,just Allah.. to reassure you, my dad checks what i do on the internet

I have been seeking answers for long time around different forums and yahoo answers about this topic but i didnt find any .. SC was the best place and i know many other guest users are seeking what i was wondering for a long time

Lastly,i hope you are being sincere with yourself if you want to reply back ..and not defending hijab for the sake of arrogance/attention. I admit i used to be like that when i was young

Salaam sister,

First of all, i applaud you for your modesty and your love for fatima alzahra

If you think that this topic degrades your hijab, you are welcome to leave anytime.

Secondly, the reason why i allowed brothers is because i know many brothers are knowlegable and could contribute in the knowledge . Sayed sistani and other scholars and to be sheikh are examples.. as well as gynecologist and experts who can be males

What we do on Pm is not anyone`s business ,just Allah.. to reassure you, my dad checks what i do on the internet

I have been seeking answers for long time around different forums and yahoo answers about this topic but i didnt find any .. SC was the best place and i know many other guest users are seeking what i was wondering for a long time

Lastly,i hope you are being sincere with yourself if you want to reply back ..and not defending hijab for the sake of arrogance/attention. I admit i used to be like that when i was young

Wa Alaikum Al Salam,

Okay sister, take care.

Edited by faith200

After ten days the situation is considered the same as a person who has urinary or bowel incontinence or an open wound. It is unreasonable to prohibit them from making salah entirely but there are steps to be taken to be as clean as possible before each prayer.

Makes sense. Thanks :)

Ritual prayer requires Tuhr and Allah mentions that menses are anti-tuhr. Janabah is also anti-tuhr but it can be alleviated with Ghusl however the anti-thur-ness of menses can not be alleviated with Ghusl until the menses are complete.

See 2:222 and 5:6

Click on red E for translation

http://www.holyquran.net/cgi-bin/qsearch.pl?st=%D8%E5%D1&sc=1&sv=1&ec=114&ev=6&ae=a&mw=r&alef=ON

That is all occurrences of Tuhr and its derivatives in the Qur'an. If you read them all with contemplation I am sure

you will come to a better understanding of the requirement of Tuhr in Salaat.

You can't pray while on menses for the same reason that you can't pray while in janaabat. janaabat can be removed with Ghusl but menses can't until menses are over.

You can still do dhikr and du'a while on menses and read qur'an. i wish i had a break from salaat 7 days a month. i'd use that time on shiachat ;)