Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
hesham102001

Fasting On The Day Of Ashura

Rate this topic

By all standards, the day Imam Hussain, the grandson of the beloved Prophet Muhammad, was killed was a great tragedy. Indeed, it was the greatest tragedy. He was martyred, along with his family members, simply because he stood against injustice. The family of Yazeed (the Banu Umayyah) and the family of Ziyad rejoiced the day he was killed. Not only did they celebrate the day of Ashura, but they turned it into a tradition for subsequent years. They would gather their family and friends and rejoice at the martyrdom of Imam Hussain.

While fasting is a great form of worship, we the Shia have valid reservations regarding the fast of Ashura. It is always recommended to fast, anytime throughout the year (except Eid), but the problem is that there is a history of politics behind the fast of Ashura.

thank you for this! 

Edited by Haji 2003

As much as I would love nothing but to unite with our sunni brothers, its difficult to accept some of the things they do, such as celebrating on this tragic day. As much as we try to ignore the differences, its difficult to swallow this kind of behaviour from them. I have many sunni friends whom i love and respect so much, but when they start circulating messages about how Ashura is a day of happiness, i actually feel physically sick and find it impossible to ever unite with them (and this is coming from a person who is extremely tolerant but there is always a red line)

Many of them (sunnis) are just plain brainwashed and ignorant. I mean aren't they in the least troubled by the idea that The Prophet (saas) just decided to borrow this idea of fasting just because the Jews did it (which they didn't). 

The Qur'an says: {4}وَمَا يَنْطِقُ عَنِ الْهَوَىٰ {3} إِنْ هُوَ إِلَّا وَحْيٌ يُوحَىٰ

Nor doth he speak of (his own) desire. It is naught save an inspiration that is inspired. (Surah 53:3, 53:4)

Don't they think!

Most of the Sunnis fast with good intentions. They are not aware regarding the political issues behind this fast. After all there are several ahadith in their most authentic books enjoining them to fast on Ashura. 

If someone is fasting on Ashura, it does not automatically mean that they are rejoicing on the day of Ashura. Most of them actually have nothing else to do (no azadari events etc.) so they show their love for Imam Hussein(as) in this way. Some of them are purely vile but fortunately they are in a minority. 

^^ even if that was the case, why do they go out of their way to acknowledge every single event that happened on the 10th of muharram except the Martydom of Imam Hussain (a.s)? dont tell me they dont know about it, everybody knows about the Martyrdom of Imam Hussain and when it happened. I am not asking them to join us when we commemorate Ashura and the martyrdom, but if they are going to talk about events that occurred on the 10th, they should at least acknowledge imam hussain and his great sacrifice. and on top of this, they will disrespect people who remember imam hussain on this day

I recall reading a post on shia chat explaining that the prophet (pbuh) stressed on fasting on the 10 Muharram (before the event of Ashoora) but with the evidence provided by the op it seems clear not to fast on this sad day.