Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Miracles Of Zuljanah

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

When Imam Hussain(as) was a mere child and was learning to crawl, he used to go frequently to the stable of zuljanah and look at him. Once the holy prophet (s) said that his grandson was looking curiously at the horse as if some mysterious conversation was taking place so he said:

“My dear Hussain, do you want to ride the horse?”

And he replied:

“Yes Grandfather, I do.”

The horse was saddled on the order of the Holy prophet (s) and the Imam A.S came near to with a wish to ride, so suddenly the horse sat on the ground and the imam mounted on him.

In this incident two points are proven as a miracle:

How did the horse know that a little boy wanted to rise as nobody directed him to sit down for his rider? It is proven that the horse had a divine inspiration for it to sit low for the holy Imam(a) to mount and position himself astride in the saddle. The horse sat as a token of respect, obedience and love for him and so the beloved horse followed the divine decree and pleased god, the holy prophet and 3rd imam.

Secondly, the child going near a horse expressed his desire to mount him, usually children fear big sized animals and keep away but here the miracle of the imam childhood becomes manifest. The imam knew one day he had to ride this noble beast in this last battle at Karbala.

All the companions who were present saw the incident and were pleased to see the imam mount the horse, the horse too was considerate for his rider. When the holy prophet saw this coincident a serious of tears began to flow on his cheeks. At once the meeting transformed into a sad gathering and the companions also began to weep. One of them asked the Holy prophet.

“Today it is the occasion of festival seeing your grandson on horseback of this horst but why are you weeping?”

The holy prophet replied:

You are not aware of what I foresee, the scene becomes alive before my eyes as this grand “Muratjiz” has borne my dear grandson on his back with care by stopping down on his four legs. A day will come when my grandson will not be able to keep himself in the saddle due to his extremely wounded condition and this very horse “Murtajiz” will then dismount my grandson on the burning sand of the desert of Karbala with the same consideration, stopping on his four legs and sitting on the ground as he has just down here”

Hearing this sad narration all the companions began to weep loudly.

The holy imam Husain is quoted as having said on the day of Ashurah:

“Wilt thou my dear Zuljanah kneel down a little to enable me to roll myself down to the ground? I know thou hast also been hungry and thirsty along with me. Pardon me my dear zuljanah for Husain is helpless. May the lord bless thee” Imam Husain (as) on the day of Ashura. 

The faithful animal, which was itself hungry, thirst and wounded, spread its legs in such a way that the godly soul, one of the most brilliant stars of the heaven of divinity, slid himself down.

Reference:

“Husain, the saviour of Islam”, by S.V. Mir Ahmed Ali, pg. 186-187

Much as I commend your desire to increase peoples faith and rememberence of Karbala. I would point out that you have 2 narrations and 1 reference. People who hrriedly read you post might assume that the reference is to both narrations.

Your first narration is almost certainly a fake since it would entail Zuljenah to be over 54 years of age at Karbala

Some people have suggested that Zuljenah had a miraculous long age but this story seems fanciful to say the least.

Do you people not realise that by creating these false stories you actually draw peoples attention away from the message of Karbala

You reduce the tragedy and message of Karbala to nothing but a set of fairy stories.

The more you emphasise and retell these stories the more you strengthen the followers of yazid 

• Advanced Member

Your first narration is almost certainly a fake since it would entail Zuljenah to be over 54 years of age at Karbala

Some people have suggested that Zuljenah had a miraculous long age but this story seems fanciful to say the least.

Murtajiz being the horse of the Prophet (saww) is accepted by Ahlesunnah as well.

The Life of the Prophet Muhammad: Al-Sira Al-Nabawiyya

By Ibn Kathir, Ismāʻīl ibn ʻUmar Ibn Kathīr

Page 513

http://books.google.com/books?id=clreHA8sLyoC&pg=PA513&lpg=PA513&dq=Prophet+mohammed+horse+murtajiz&source=bl&ots=d4oyTMY-Mn&sig=5mKRaz_OEYqQtQsBCjAY2JB62lA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1J16UtX0JuP0yQHVkYH4DQ&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=Prophet%20mohammed%20horse%20murtajiz&f=false

he more you emphasise and retell these stories the more you strengthen the followers of yazid

Who cares! The bigger issue is of those Shias who say they are imamis but dont understand the concept of Imamate.

• Veteran Member

Murtajiz being the horse of the Prophet (saww) is accepted by Ahlesunnah as well.

The Life of the Prophet Muhammad: Al-Sira Al-Nabawiyya

By Ibn Kathir, Ismāʻīl ibn ʻUmar Ibn Kathīr

Page 513

http://books.google.com/books?id=clreHA8sLyoC&pg=PA513&lpg=PA513&dq=Prophet+mohammed+horse+murtajiz&source=bl&ots=d4oyTMY-Mn&sig=5mKRaz_OEYqQtQsBCjAY2JB62lA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1J16UtX0JuP0yQHVkYH4DQ&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=Prophet%20mohammed%20horse%20murtajiz&f=false

Who cares! The bigger issue is of those Shias who say they are imamis but dont understand the concept of Imamate.

Again why do you people peddle in half truths. The fact that there was a horse named Murtajiz does not mean it was Zuljenah as is being suggested by the OP.

I am shocked and horrified that you say who cares about the truth. I am sure the Imams (as) do care about truth and falsehood and what is being narrated and ascribed to them. Are you suggesting that the embodiement of truth wouldnt care about what is true and what isnt.

Since the Imams (as) care about truth and falsehood their true followers equally are concerned about truth and falsehood. I see from your comments you are but a part time follower. Loads of those part time followers failed to turn up to Karbala I hope you wouldnt have fallen into that category. I also extend these comments to any that like your comments

Edited by A true Sunni
  • Advanced Member

Again why do you people peddle in half truths. The fact that there was a horse named Murtajiz does not mean it was Zuljenah as is being suggested by the OP.

Lets assume they are 2 different horses. Now what?

I am shocked and horrified that you say who cares about the truth. I am sure the Imams (as) do care about truth and falsehood and what is being narrated and ascribed to them. Are you suggesting that the embodiement of truth wouldnt care about what is true and what isnt.

Its subjective history and argumentative. The action of the horse is in line with the respect commanded by an Imam so i dont see any part of it being fancy.

I see from your comments you are but a part time follower. Loads of those part time followers failed to turn up to Karbala I hope you wouldnt have fallen into that category. I also extend these comments to any that like your comments

Ouchh....

• Veteran Member

Lets assume they are 2 different horses. Now what?

Its subjective history and argumentative. The action of the horse is in line with the respect commanded by an Imam so i dont see any part of it being fancy.

Ouchh....

another person who seems to think truth should be treated lightly. The challenge to the stories if you bothered to read my post is the linking of them and thus imbuing Zuljinah with a extended life. For what reason I cannot say.

You then said who cares there are bigger issues.

Hmm now  you change your tune i see

• Advanced Member

another person who seems to think truth should be treated lightly. The challenge to the stories if you bothered to read my post is the linking of them and thus imbuing Zuljinah with a extended life. For what reason I cannot say.

You then said who cares there are bigger issues.

Hmm now  you change your tune i see

Are you still harping about an age of the horse? Seriously!

What exactly is false about this story which makes it "fancy"

A Horse treating an imam with respect?

Prophet (saww) fortelling the event of Karbala?

A Horse that lived to 54 years of age?

The first 2 have very concrete backing so they are not lies. The Horse age can be argued on the basis of exception. You have no proof the Prophet (saww) horse died so your argument is purely based on an average yet you claim its a fact by calling it a lie.

The age/name of the horse is irrelevant. The bigger picture is the respect of Imam hussain (as) commanded from an animal, The holy Prophet (Saww) affetcion towards his grandson and him (Saww) fortelling the event of Karbala.

I know you like skirt around on minor issues and have the last word so go for it.

Edited by Logic
  • Veteran Member

The bigger picture is people making up stories about the Prophet (pbuh) and Imams (as). Some people seem to think it's not that big a deal if we repeat fabricated stories about these holy personalities as long as it serves to increase devotion in people, but others, such as myself, think it's more important to stick to relating events that have some basis in reality.

Edited by Haydar Husayn
  • Veteran Member

Are you still harping about an age of the horse? Seriously!

What exactly is false about this story which makes it "fancy"

A Horse treating an imam with respect?

Prophet (saww) fortelling the event of Karbala?

A Horse that lived to 54 years of age?

The first 2 have very concrete backing so they are not lies. The Horse age can be argued on the basis of exception. You have no proof the Prophet (saww) horse died so your argument is purely based on an average yet you claim its a fact by calling it a lie.

The age/name of the horse is irrelevant. The bigger picture is the respect of Imam hussain (as) commanded from an animal, The holy Prophet (Saww) affetcion towards his grandson and him (Saww) fortelling the event of Karbala.

I know you like skirt around on minor issues and have the last word so go for it.

I explained in my very first post why its important to stick to the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Once you 'create' stories or make up fairy tales to embellish the history it allows people to ridicule the history and cast doubt on its authenticity.

By embellishing the history and supporting the creation of fairy stories on the grounds that it will strengthen your case you make yourself far worse then any nasibi.

With each lie you tell you stab the Imams(as). So who is worse the self confessed nasibis or those that claim to love the Ahlul Bait and stab them at every turn. Why are you so allergic to the truth

Shias claim that Zuljenah is important. If Zuljenah is important then its history is important. You cannot have it both ways. On one side saying lok what Zuljenah did and then say its history is minor and inconsequential  

A true Sunni and Haydar Hussein are doing the right thing guys. I found my faith shaking when hearing fanciful stories. Surely we should not be overzealous and go too ahead of the ahlulbayt, or lag behind.

Surely we are the nation of logic, of moderation, of evidence, of practicality - the 'nation of the middle way'.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Don't worry, I think that was all about intercession. Don't ask me how, but I'm sure that's what he would say. And it's all about intention, right?

Why do you have to bring intercession to this? This is absurd!

Should we mock the concept of Imamah because some WF abuse it today? Absurd indeed.

And why should we bring the fantasy of one nation about a particular horse to this topic?

• Veteran Member

Why do you have to bring intercession to this? This is absurd!

Should we mock the concept of Imamah because some WF abuse it today? Absurd indeed.

I'm not mocking interecession, I'm mocking the absurd things people say and do in the name of intercession.

And I'm pretty sure he would call that interecession. What could he say instead? That it was shirk?

• Advanced Member

I'm not mocking interecession, I'm mocking the absurd things people say and do in the name of intercession.

And I'm pretty sure he would call that interecession. What could he say instead? That it was shirk?

I couldn't follow the none sense in that video tbh ...I doubt that it is anything but a none sense
  • Veteran Member

I guess he got a little bit emotional. But if you listen to the whole speech, it makes sense. They are taking one sentence out of context and making it an issue. 

The holy prophet replied:

You are not aware of what I foresee, the scene becomes alive before my eyes as this grand “Muratjiz” has borne my dear grandson on his back with care by stopping down on his four legs. A day will come when my grandson will not be able to keep himself in the saddle due to his extremely wounded condition and this very horse “Murtajiz” will then dismount my grandson on the burning sand of the desert of Karbala with the same consideration, stopping on his four legs and sitting on the ground as he has just down here”

Hearing this sad narration all the companions began to weep loudly.

The holy imam Husain is quoted as having said on the day of Ashurah:

“Wilt thou my dear Zuljanah kneel down a little to enable me to roll myself down to the ground? I know thou hast also been hungry and thirsty along with me. Pardon me my dear zuljanah for Husain is helpless. May the lord bless thee” Imam Husain (as) on the day of Ashura. 

The faithful animal, which was itself hungry, thirst and wounded, spread its legs in such a way that the godly soul, one of the most brilliant stars of the heaven of divinity, slid himself down.

Reference:

“Husain, the saviour of Islam”, by S.V. Mir Ahmed Ali, pg. 186-187

:cry:

Edited by Mokhtar2012
  • Veteran Member

I guess he got a little bit emotional. But if you listen to the whole speech, it makes sense. They are taking one sentence out of context and making it an issue.

Out of context? What possible context could make it ok?

In any case, he was talking nonsense way before the end of it. It was pure kufr from start to finish. Believers always attribute good things to Allah. That's why they say Insha'Allah and Masha'Allah. They don't go around saying that Allah didn't give them something good, and instead that it was a horse that someone prayed to, and how people should do sajda to a horse.

• Advanced Member

The dog of as'habey kahaf was blessed in company of people of cave, like wise zuljina was also blessed in company of Imam Hussain r.ta by leave of Allah, so we should not make mockery of horse for debate nor this horse can benefit anything to us, that time horses and dogs had done well enough comparing to the people of todays, subhan'Allah

Such wise words, thank you.

These stories should remind us of the sacrifices made for us.

How ironic that dear Zuljina sensed the essence of Imam Hussein As in their infancy yet how many of us feel them or allow them in our heart today.

Our blessed Prophet Pbuh shed his tears crying "Ya Ummati" yet where are our tears where is our duty today........

• Veteran Member

The dog of as'habey kahaf was blessed in company of people of cave, like wise zuljina was also blessed in company of Imam Hussain r.ta by leave of Allah, so we should not make mockery of horse for debate nor this horse can benefit anything to us, that time horses and dogs had done well enough comparing to the people of todays, subhan'Allah

Indeed great words…..

• 2 years later...
  • Basic Members
On 10/11/2013 at 0:54 PM, Logical Islamic said:

A true Sunni and Haydar Hussein are doing the right thing guys. I found my faith shaking when hearing fanciful stories. Surely we should not be overzealous and go too ahead of the ahlulbayt, or lag behind.

Surely we are the nation of logic, of moderation, of evidence, of practicality - the 'nation of the middle way'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Billy  so Billy the horse can live to 62years as a horse but you want to question the age of Zuljenah at 54 years ? What are you God to decide who lives how long? I hope next time when you do challenge someone's faith and belief you have some thing more substantiate than this. Just remember that who you are debating about.  

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, RizviRizvi said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Billy  so Billy the horse can live to 62years as a horse but you want to question the age of Zuljenah at 54 years ? What are you God to decide who lives how long? I hope next time when you do challenge someone's faith and belief you have some thing more substantiate than this. Just remember that who you are debating about.  

Challenges someone's faith and belief? What does Zuljinah have to do with belief and faith?

Anyway, you obviously don't understand how this whole history thing works. It's the people who claim something happened that need to provide the evidence, not those who claim it didn't happen. You can't just make up a load of stuff and then challenge people to prove it never happened. So, again, what is the primary source for this story?

• Basic Members
On 12/10/2016 at 1:34 PM, Haydar Husayn said:

Challenges someone's faith and belief? What does Zuljinah have to do with belief and faith?

Anyway, you obviously don't understand how this whole history thing works. It's the people who claim something happened that need to provide the evidence, not those who claim it didn't happen. You can't just make up a load of stuff and then challenge people to prove it never happened. So, again, what is the primary source for this story?

So if you are an expert of history I take it .. please explain to me how history thing works ? 

BTW Zuljenah is documented in history as imam hussains horse. The question was about the age of the horse ie 54 years.. to which I submitted a piece of history about Billy who was a horse that lived for 62 years. 

As far as faith and belief is concerned Zuljenah is 100% part of it it. I think you are confusing religion and faith and belief as same. Quran and only quran is religion. People who carried the message are the sources for our belief. And no one has the right to challenge who they believe.

• Veteran Member

Guys let me try to clarify something because I believe there is a misunderstanding.

We believe that the prophet Noah a.s. lived hundreds of years. We believe that a newborn baby (Prophet Jesus a.s.) talked. We believe that, for example (and this is in reliable narrations) the Holy Prophet s.a.w.s. would give a sermon next to a tree, until some companions made him a pulpit... but because of the Prophet's absence the tree would wail and cry so the Prophet would continue visit the tree.

These are things that go along with belief in the unseen and the belief in consciousness. We believe in the unseen and we believe that all of creation possesses consciousness of their Lord, at varying levels. Also: because God is the supreme sovereign over His creation, He can make anything happen. We do not believe that Allah s.w.t. created the laws of nature and then is Himself subject to those laws. He transcends those laws and supercedes them. The things which defy those laws, we call: miracles.

So a horse recognizing its imam is not something strange for us. This is not something which we look at and say: no, that's impossible! Empiricism! and so on.

I think all of us will agree on this.

What brothers @Haydar Husayn and @A true Sunni are saying is not that such an event is impossible. They are simply saying: 1) we should verify the information. Just because a narration is saying something that is possible, does not make it a reliable narration. The source needs to be analyzed. and 2) We should not (as many Shias unfortunately do) play up miraculous or metaphysical elements of the Karbala tragedy, as this takes attention away from the very real moral, political, and spiritual lessons that can be derived from this event. In other words: not to get caught up in Zuljanah recognizing his imam, while not properly reflecting on the betrayal of the people of Kufa. The latter is a very valuable parable for us, as people who claim to believe in Imamah.

If the contents of the narration can be verified, and if it is placed within the wider context of the greatest display of martyrdom in history, then there is no problem in relating it. This is the issue which the two brothers were taking, as far as I could see.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, RizviRizvi said:

So if you are an expert of history I take it .. please explain to me how history thing works ? 

BTW Zuljenah is documented in history as imam hussains horse. The question was about the age of the horse ie 54 years.. to which I submitted a piece of history about Billy who was a horse that lived for 62 years. 

As far as faith and belief is concerned Zuljenah is 100% part of it it. I think you are confusing religion and faith and belief as same. Quran and only quran is religion. People who carried the message are the sources for our belief. And no one has the right to challenge who they believe.

Please tell me which primary sources mention all this Zuljenah stuff? Any historical accounts of Karbala? Any narrations from the Imams? Because all I see is unsourced assertions. Where is the evidence?

Edited by Haydar Husayn
  • Basic Members
On 12/10/2016 at 1:34 PM, Haydar Husayn said:

So please tell me what piece of history can prove quran is a book that came from Allah?  

I feel it's going to be debate with ignorants.

So I hope you accept that encyclopedia is a recognised international publisher.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Battle-of-Karbala

So here it is ..history of Karbala. 

Because your argument is so silly that I feel like asking you what is the proof that quran was a book that came from Allah? Any witness or evidence?  But I won't ask as unlike some I won't sling mud on my religion. 

The fact that you are denying and asking proof of events in Karbala shows your knowledge of Islam and history in general. BTW just research some non Islamic scholars and leaders and thier opinion on Karbala and if happened. 

You asking proof about of Karbala happened is enough for me to not participate in any sort of further debate.

My Allah guide you to some knowledge and forgive you for your ignorance that's all I have to say.

• Veteran Member
2 minutes ago, RizviRizvi said:

So please tell me what piece of history can prove quran is a book that came from Allah?  

I feel it's going to be debate with ignorants.

So I hope you accept that encyclopedia is a recognised international publisher.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Battle-of-Karbala

So here it is ..history of Karbala. 

Because your argument is so silly that I feel like asking you what is the proof that quran was a book that came from Allah? Any witness or evidence?  But I won't ask as unlike some I won't sling mud on my religion. 

The fact that you are denying and asking proof of events in Karbala shows your knowledge of Islam and history in general. BTW just research some non Islamic scholars and leaders and thier opinion on Karbala and if happened. 

You asking proof about of Karbala happened is enough for me to not participate in any sort of further debate.

My Allah guide you to some knowledge and forgive you for your ignorance that's all I have to say.

You seriously thought I was asking for proof for the battle of Karbala? What I was asking for was evidence of these Zuljenah stories in the historical accounts of the battle of Karbala. I don't see any mention in, for example, al-Mufeed's account in Kitab al-Irshad, let alone in a more primary source like Abu Mikhnaf. So where are they coming from?

You can hide behind the 'you are too ignorant for me to debate with' excuse if you like, but it won't change the fact that you have very little evidence (if any) for what you are claiming.