Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Didn't Imam Abu Hanifa Follow Imam Sadiq(As)?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Asalamo alaikom brothers and sisters,

I had something that was bothering my mind is that we all know that imam Abu Hanifa was Imam Jafar Sadiq(as) student along with the other two imams which I don't remember which imams they were. The question is that how did Abu Hanifa isolated himself, created a new sect and started his own teachings. What is the story behind this? 

Can anyone please explain to me how it happened?

I will be very happy to hear from you people in the forum.

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

The main difference between Sunni and Shia at this time was political not theological. Remember a couple of points here

1. Imam Jafar (as) did not claim any political title so due to the fact that Abu Hanifa studied under him he , in a way, WAS following him

2. Please note that there isn't ANY discussion by Abu Hanifa or his followers or opponents at that time about whether or not he accepted Imam Jafar (as) as one of a line of 12 Infallible Imams. The subject probably never came up

3. The other 2 Imams he studied under/with were Imam Baqir (as) and Imam Zayd (as) . I know that 12ers don't recognize Zayd (as) as being an Imam but Zaydi Shia do and so that is probably why you heard that he studied under 3 different Imams

4. He supported, but did not join, the rebellion of Imam Zayd (as)

5. Abu Hanifa loved and respected the Ahl Al Bayt. It is a shame and a disgrace that so many of his followers today do not

6. Imam Jafar (as) seems to have been satisfied , for whatever reasons and I do not question his judgement, in simply teaching Islam, transmitting hadith and determining fiqh. Abu Hanifa studied under him but also under Imam Zayd (as) who taught and thought a little bit differently than Imam Jafar(as). It may be that given that he knew so many of the Blessed Ahl Al Bayt he did not know for sure which one to follow. Besides without claiming his right to rule politically Imam Jafar (as) probably wasn't asking people to swear allegiance to him.

7. The fiqh of Zaydi Shia and Hanafi Sunnis are very similar so it is very probable that he was also influnced by IMam Zayd(as) who was also a member of the Ahl Al Bayt

8. I say that Zayd (as) is Ahl Al Bayt because he was the son of Imam Zayn ul Abideen(as), the brother of Imam Baqir(as) and the uncle of Imam Jafar(as). That puts him squarely in the Ahl Al Bayt and may , all by itself answer your question. Abu Hanifa was influenced not by one member of the Ahl Al Bayt but by MANY. At least 3. That may be why he did not limit himself to following one

9. At that time there were lots of study groups, some Sunni and some Shia. They sometimes studied in the same masjids or in homes that were next door to  each other. People were quite often able to disagree without being hostile and so it is also possible that he was also influenced byb the traditions and thoughts passed on and studied by followers of The Companions.

10. I am sure that he took EVERYTHING that he learned from all of the groups that he studied under and with and created his own fiqh because nobody told him that he couldn't or shouldn't.

That is how I see it , Allahu alem and may He gorgive me for anything I said that was not correct

• Advanced Member

Abu Hanifa never loved Ahl Al Bayt, he was infact only learning from Imam Jaffer us Sadiq (AS) to gain this world. Syedna Mohammed Burhannuddin in one of the sermons says.

One day Imam Jafer us Sadiq is walking by taking the support of a stick. Abu Hanifa in sarcastic tone to disgrace Imam actions say " You are not that old to take a support of this stick"  Imam Jaffers replies, This is the stick of Prophet rasullah and i am taking support from it to gain barakaat from it. On hearing this Abu Hanifa says, If i had known that this stick is of Rasullah i would have kissed it. Imam Jaffer in anger folds his sleeves and says, you dont know about the stick but can you see this flesh is from the flesh of Rasullah. Abu Hanifa in sly manner went to kiss Imam Jaffer hand, but Imam Jaffer withdrew the hand and went away.

These people never loved Ahl Al Bayt an will never do till the day of Qayamah

• Advanced Member

Salam Fakhruddin,

Thanks for replying. Actually that is what I think too. Although, I am not a 100% sure if abu hanifa was against ahlul bait, but if I'm not wrong, I think I read from somewhere that abu hanifa said: "I have never seen anyone more knowledgable than Imam Sadiq (as)". If this is the case, then why didn't he become Shia. Therefore, there is a huge possibility that abu hanifa wanted to gain this world. So at least this is my theory, but still there's no solid proof for this argument.

May Allah (swt) forgive me if I made a wrong assumption. 

• Advanced Member

There's one more thing that the Hanafi's use a hadith which is found in either sahih muslim or sahih bukhari, but I'm gonna write the end of the hadith, due to the length.

It is narrated that Hazrat Muhammad (SAWW) put his hand on the lap of Salman Farsi (RA) and says that among his descendants, will be the ones that will find the religion.

I've seen Hanafi Sunni's use this argument to prove themselves the best sect in islam, because they say that abu hanifa was the descendant of Salman Farsi(RA) and abu hanifa is a scholar, hence he is the one that the Prophet (SAWW) was predicting.

Is the way that Hanafi's interpret this hadith correct? Or is this made up? If not, then this can't be a coincidence. I'm a bit confused, although I believe that we Shia's are the successful ones, due to many strong evidences.

Can someone elaborate on this please?

• 3 months later...
  • Veteran Member

That narration of Holy prophet sws. (If accepted) doesn't exclude other ethnicities, and there are many good shia among the descendants of hazrat Salmaan, who are persians. This doesn't have anything to with Abuhanifeh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam alykum, I am very confused as I read that other sunni jurisprudents scolding him

http://www.revisitingthesalaf.org/2012/01/abu-hanifa-deviant.html?m=1

Well Sunnis do not all agree with each other. Besides Abu Hanifa studied under 3 Shia Imams (as) and supported the rebellion of Imam Zayd(as) with both words and money (though not by fighting himself). This support of and studying under the Ahl Al Bayt(as) may have turned other Sunni jurists against him. And Allah knows best

• Advanced Member
That narration of Holy prophet sws. (If accepted) doesn't exclude other ethnicities, and there are many good shia among the descendants of hazrat Salmaan, who are persians. This doesn't have anything to with Abuhanifeh

Hello, 

Thanks for replying. 

I thought I wasnt getting any more responses in my thread. 

Yeah, I agree with you. The hadith does not prove anything. Well back in school, our teachers were telling us that abu hanifa is the best scholar and imam to follow by simply using the above hadith as their proof. Of course it's ridiculous to think that way that someone will appear like a 100 years after the prophet (PBUH & HF) and will find the true teachings of the prophet. 

Our brothers form ahlu sunnah should think over this that how could the prophet (PBUH and HF) leave the ummah behind without appointing a successor in order for them to seek guidance after him. 

As according to us Shia's the prophet PBUH &HF) commanded us to hold to the Quran and his family members, so no one could go astray and as everybody knows this tradition can be found in the most authentic books of sunnis too, but none of them seem to care.