Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Shiavert

Sunni "friend"

Rate this topic

Asalaam Alaikum sisters,

Please give me your honest opinions:

I've been talking with a Sunni British born- Pakistani for the past 6 months. I asked him his thoughts on Karbala and he kind of brushed me off, this was 2-3 weeks ago. I didn't push the subject. He has never spoken ill of Shia's hmm maybe because I wouldn't allow it. Yesterday is asked him about Ashura and Muharram and he got such a tragic and sad expression. He knows I am a convert and he knows I have followed al-Bayat...he said that he wished I would follow the true ISlam, what the majority of Muslims across the world do.

Again I didn't push te subject but I'm a little fearful he would try to "convert" me to Sunni.

How should I go about talking to him about things that are important to me, such as Karbala, Ashura etc.

Asalaam Alaikum sisters,

I've been talking with a Sunni British born- Pakistani for the past 6 months. I asked him his thoughts on Karbala and he kind of brushed me off, this was 2-3 weeks ago. I didn't push the subject. He has never spoken ill of Shia's hmm maybe because I wouldn't allow it. Yesterday is asked him about Ashura and Muharram and he got such a tragic and sad expression. He knows I am a convert and he knows I have followed al-Bayat...he said that he wished I would follow the true ISlam, what the majority of Muslims across the world do.

Again I didn't push te subject but I'm a little fearful he would try to "convert" me to Sunni.

How should I go about talking to him about things that are important to me, such as Karbala, Ashura etc.

leave him, he had made his mind, you made your mind and it seems that for both of you the sect matters allot.

Asalaam Alaikum sisters,

I made a new Article which might help you:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/235018397-blood-of-imam-ali-and-imam-hussain-as/

Try to Approach him a manner when you are sure of what you are saying, (meaning have Evidence in store), and also, if he made such a statement, then perhaps tell him to not jump into conclusions and make sure what he says before he says it.

______

(wasalam) 

Yeah, born Muslim are that way sometimes. This Sunni person is clearly misguided for not following Ahl al Bayt, yet he has the nerve to feel sad for you! because you apparently didn't choose to follow the sect which he was born into.

I wouldn't waste my time with him, if I were you. You really don't wanna compromise something that's really important to you (your faith) for any human.

Yeah, born Muslim are that way sometimes. This Sunni person is clearly misguided for not following Ahl al Bayt, yet he has the nerve to feel sad for you! because you apparently didn't choose to follow the sect which he was born into.

I wouldn't waste my time with him, if I were you. You really don't wanna compromise something that's really important to you (your faith) for any human.

like the only ones who revert to shia islam are the non muslims..... I do not why the sunni authorities were very worried about the spread of shia islam in their communities...oh they were not mulslims according to the new definition?

sure...

Salaam I would find a short but touching story of karbala and give it to him and tell him he can read it when he wants. Tell him muharam is approaching and ask him if he'd like to come with u. If this fails be a friend that's it.

And if you obey most of those in the earth, they will lead you astray from Allah's way; they follow but conjecture and they only lie.

6:116

Save yourself the trouble and make shia friends or at least more tolerant sunni friends. Hang our with him less and less and hang out with better friends more and more.

and usually male muslim friends are a bad idea for muslimah.... From my experience and what I see they tend to be the boys we pakis call the "hero-type" (kinda like players, just overly nice and a little flirty with all the girls they know, which is haraam) or they wanna marry you lol

Firstly, thank you for all your replies....

Yes he is Pakistani and a friend. Lines have never been crossed, it's always been respectful. I know it is considered haram but we are friends and are getting to know each other. I do want to share with him , Muharram and other important events.

Thank you again for your opinions.

There is no point sharing these events with them, they already know 'their version' of it so our versions have no worth to them. Plus i would rather suggest you to concentrate on mourning in this month, specially the first 10 days, the guy can take the back seat and carry on his jewish rituals. (fasting on ashura)

oh dear ... a Pakistani , a Sunni and a male ... keep away

I don't understand........

There is no point sharing these events with them, they already know 'their version' of it so our versions have no worth to them. Plus i would rather suggest you to concentrate on mourning in this month, specially the first 10 days, the guy can take the back seat and carry on his jewish rituals. (fasting on ashura)

I agree and am doing just that.

I don't understand........

I agree and am doing just that.

brother :Sami has a unique sense of humor lol read more of his posts and you might start to pick up on when he is purely joking, when he's being dead serious, and when hes joking but in a way to make a serious point.

Gypsy is right, dont waste time with this type of person that is hard-headed, stubborn and  with a resolute religious ideology. They will not change no matter how much you convince them is the right path. Sunnis are always like that

One of my uncles had a Wahhabi friend who he took along for Majlis..he attended the Ashra-e-majlis for like 2-3 years and suddenly he gave up saying," I can't come with you friend, I fear I might become a Shi'a soon!  :lol:

Why are you wanting to keep a Sunni 'male' friend?

It's highly discouraged to have a male friend for a Muslima and vice versa.

true. arranged marriage is the best. imam ali and fatima as had an arranged marriage so did Muhammad SAW and Khadija ra. 

the topic of marriages is scary. 

Why are you wanting to keep a Sunni 'male' friend?

It's highly discouraged to have a male friend for a Muslima and vice versa.

Her question was:

Not whether keeping a male/sunni friend is halal or haraam.