Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
cocochanel

As A Shia Muslim, Do You Have To Follow A Marja?

Rate this topic

wanted to know if I can follow the teachings and practices of Islam without committing to a particular marja. For my whole life I was lead to believe it is not necessary to follow a Marja (even my parents didn't follow one) but now I'm in University and everyone is telling me I have to. What if you don't follow one? Is there a consequence or something? 

wanted to know if I can follow the teachings and practices of Islam without committing to a particular marja. For my whole life I was lead to believe it is not necessary to follow a Marja (even my parents didn't follow one) but now I'm in University and everyone is telling me I have to. What if you don't follow one? Is there a consequence or something? 

Its Obligatory. How would you know the jurisprudence?

Quran says take guidance from the most knowledgeable. It is up to you to interpret and implement that guidance, but defeintely you should have some person or people who you trust to help you when you don't know the answers.

(salam)

Where in the Quran does it read that it is compulsary to follow a marja?

Where in the Qur'an does it read that it is haraam to listen to music, or wajib to keep a beard? When scholars tell us that such and such is halaal or haraam, he is doing it after years of research and study. Now we have a few armchair scholars that are telling us Taqlid is not wajib. I'd like to know which Hawza these armchair sheikhs studied from that makes them think they are more knowledgeable than our top Maraji` to challenge their edicts. 

(salam)

The Qur'an instructs Muslims to seek guidance from people of learning in matters about which they lack knowledge:

"Question the people of remembrance if you do not know." (21:7)

"But why should not a party from every section of them (the believers) go forth to become learned in the religion, and to warn their people when they return to them, that they may beware?" (9:124)

Imam Ja’afar Sadiqe(as) in connection with the Ulemas who have their own following on religious matters and they take all responsibilities on their shoulders, has given a clear directive on this matter: “From among the Jurists (Fuqaha’) who protect themselves from sin, safeguard Deen, act against their own desires and are solely obedient to Allah are those whom Muslims should follow in Taqleed”

In another tradition from Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq, this time narrated by Imam Hasan al-`Askari, peace be upon them, he says, "...but if there is anyone among the fuqaha' who is in control over his own self, protects his religion, suppresses his evil desires and is obedient to the commands of his Master, then the people should follow him."

A third hadith is from the Present Imam, Muhammad al-Mahdi, peace be upon him, who said in a reply to Ishaq ibn Ya'qub: "As far as newly occurring circumstances are concerned, you should turn (for guidance) to the narrators of our ahadith, for they are my proof over you just as I am Allah's proof."

It is possible that each day  a  new problem emerges which has no parallel before or was not discussed previously, Muslims require the assistance of a Mujtahid, in every age and time who should be able to fulfill their religious needs and solve their problems in a proper manner.

(wasalam)

its waajb. if you want to know the rules and guidance to following a marj'a please tell me.

Yes, if you can direct me to some helpful websites or other sources with more information, it would be much appreciated!  :) I tried searching it up myself, but couldn't find anything too helpful.

(salam)

Where in the Quran does it read that it is compulsary to follow a marja?

(wasalam)

I'm totally not trying to argue with you or anything, but you can't really say that something isn't wajib just because it isn't listed in the Quran. For example, wearing hijab is wajib but as far as I know, it isn't mentioned in the Quran either.

So far what I'm seeing is that some people are saying it's not wajib to follow a Marja, while other people are saying it is wajib to follow one for the sake of needing advice, guidance etc. But isn't that what our Sheikh's are for? 

As Sunni studying Ithna Ashariyya, I would love to see this question answered. I've been looking into Ayatollah Khamanei. I know most in the US follow Ayatollah Sistani.

As a Shia who studied at a Sunni school all my life, I'm probably even more confused than you are! :P

Yes, I believe you are right about the US following Sistani. That's the only name I seem to be hearing over here!

So far what I'm seeing is that some people are saying it's not wajib to follow a Marja, while other people are saying it is wajib to follow one for the sake of needing advice, guidance etc. But isn't that what our Sheikh's are for? 

what if i tell you,those sheikhs follow a marja too.

unless you become a mujtahid yourself after studying like 30+ years.

(bismillah)

(salam)

2_2.png

I have seen 'Muttaqeen' beautifully translated as "those who safeguard themselves with full awareness of divine laws"

Just figure out what is the best way of achieving this or as close to it as possible. From someone who knows more or who knows less. Does the following then not become obligatory when you have less knowledge.

(wasalam)

Strictly speaking, no, but for most it is advisable to refer to someone knowledgeable.

do you mean its not waajb to follow a marji?

its wajib on every shia.

Edited by PenOfTruth

Where in the Qur'an does it read that it is haraam to listen to music, or wajib to keep a beard? When scholars tell us that such and such is halaal or haraam, he is doing it after years of research and study. Now we have a few armchair scholars that are telling us Taqlid is not wajib. I'd like to know which Hawza these armchair sheikhs studied from that makes them think they are more knowledgeable than our top Maraji` to challenge their edicts. 

Exactly. The dangers of the laymen.

(salam)

Who says its waajib akhi? 

Let me turn this: If you don't follow a marjaeei, you should do these things:

1. Find your own rullings.

2. No cheating by taking others fatawas´.

3. You must look the hadith through.

4. You have to read, write and study arabic. Not basic.

Etc.

How come it not be wajib then? Where should you learn your rullings? We, unfortuneatley, don't have the Imam with us.

man is required to search for truth, from a person of truth. how can one seek knowledge only from enemies and books alone.. Today we are all given names of marajas to follow, names of soo much fame,. its almost as if the shia world believes these chosen men by men are the only ones to follow and there is no more? ? ? ? and if this question is raised, you are seen as blind as these men are the only men the poor shias can choose from. marajas are on tv, net, books,,news,radios and it seems this is the only way to find the truth? ? ? if religion was that easy and the men of truth were soo easy to find  then you may call this heaven on earth, no effort is made by men of today, you pick and choose from a list of names as any are fine and away you go ? ?, truth?? truth is always hidden and very difficult to find. If  a man is chosen by imam (saw) to be a leader then he could be anywhere in this world whether a poor country or rich, it is more then wajib to search for him for the truth and to become part of the truth, submitting, giving your allegiance and imitating is a huge risk for thy soul alone. search for the truth even if you need to travel to china,

Most modern marja's follow the Tusi methodology of jurisprudence in relying on Khabar al-Wahid to deduce laws of Islam while themselves admitting in their books that Khabar al-Wahid is conjecture ظن so most modern marja's are أهل الظن (people of conjecture)

The problem here is the Qur'an explicitly prohibits the following of conjecture in many places.

Our religion can not be built upon a foundation of conjecture. Several great mujtahids in early history were adamantly opposed to the methodology of Tusi and would probably turn in their graves if they knew modern marja's employ Tusi's methods. These great mujtahids were no less than Sharif al-Murtada who is considered by great biographers such as 'Allamah Bahr al-'Uloom as the greatest scholar in Islam after the infallibles. Other such mujtahids who opposed relying on Khabar al-Wahid/Conjecture are Shaykh Mufeed, Ibn Abi al-'Aqeel, Ibn Idrees al-Hilli and Muhammad Ibn al-Junayd, may Allah have much mercy on them all.

My advise is to follow an anti-Tusi mujtahid. Do not follow a pro-Tusi mujtahid. By anti-Tusi I mean one that is opposed to following Khabar al-Wahid/conjecture to derive Islamic laws. 

Most modern marja's follow the Tusi methodology of jurisprudence in relying on Khabar al-Wahid to deduce laws of Islam while themselves admitting in their books that Khabar al-Wahid is conjecture ظن so most modern marja's are أهل الظن (people of conjecture)

The problem here is the Qur'an explicitly prohibits the following of conjecture in many places.

Our religion can not be built upon a foundation of conjecture. Several great mujtahids in early history were adamantly opposed to the methodology of Tusi and would probably turn in their graves if they knew modern marja's employ Tusi's methods. These great mujtahids were no less than Sharif al-Murtada who is considered by great biographers such as 'Allamah Bahr al-'Uloom as the greatest scholar in Islam after the infallibles. Other such mujtahids who opposed relying on Khabar al-Wahid/Conjecture are Shaykh Mufeed, Ibn Abi al-'Aqeel, Ibn Idrees al-Hilli and Muhammad Ibn al-Junayd, may Allah have much mercy on them all.

My advise is to follow an anti-Tusi mujtahid. Do not follow a pro-Tusi mujtahid. By anti-Tusi I mean one that is opposed to following Khabar al-Wahid/conjecture to derive Islamic laws.

If those anti-tusi (weird naming) scholars don't rely on akhbaar (ahaadeeth, stayings of infallible Imams as.) in driving a hukm, what do they rely on instead? they can't produce a religion out of themselves.

If we MUST follow a Marja, then they must be the 'oolil amree minkum' in Quran 4:59. My understanding is that no Shia will say that that particular verse is about Marjas. Sunnis can say they follow Hanafi, Hanbali, Shafa'i, or Maliki as their Marja. Sunnis can argue that 'oolil amree minkum' in Quran 4:59 is talking about their leaders. Do you see the double standards by our Shias?

If those anti-tusi (weird naming) scholars don't rely on akhbaar (ahaadeeth, stayings of infallible Imams as.) in driving a hukm, what do they rely on instead? they can't produce a religion out of themselves.

The Anti-Tusi scholars, such as Muhammad Ibn Idris al-Hilli and Sharif al-Murtada accept Hadeeth al-Mutawatir and Ijmaa' as well as the Qur'an and 'Aql. They consider relying on Khabar al-Wahid invalid just as relying on Qiyaas as invalid because the Khabar al-Wahid and Qiyaas are conjectural.

Ironically the Pro-Tusi scholars acknowledge that Khabar al-Wahid is conjecture but follow it anyway because they think an exception has been made in Islam for it.

I like to call the pro-tusi scholars ahl al zann and the anti-tusi scholars ahl al yaqeen because that is exactly what they are.

Convincing (Qat’i) & Non-Convincing (Dhanni) Souces

In examining the potential sources of the shari'ah, a mujtahid may find two kinds of sources: either the source creates conviction about the laws derived from it or not. In the first case, it is known as dalil qat'i – a convincing proof, a cogent proof, a proof which creates conviction about the proven laws. In the second case, the source is named as dalil dhanni-- a presumptive proof, a proof based on mere assumption.

The mujtahid will consider the dalil qat'i (the con­vincing proof) as a valid source for the shari'ah laws. But he will not consider the dalil dhanni as such because dalil dhanni does not create conviction it just gives rise to assumption. A mujtahid cannot rely on a dhanni proof or source for deriving laws unless the shari'ah itself approves its use for this purpose. Below I will give examples of two dhanni sources, one approved by the shari'ah and another disapproved by it.

The First Example: Among the various categories of hadith, there is a category known as khabar wahid thiqah - a hadith reported by a single reliable person. Khabar wahid thiqah is a dhanni source. Why? Because a hadith reported by a single person does not create conviction about its contents even if the reporter is reliable; there is the chance of forgetting, misunder­standing or unintended misquotation on the part of the truthful, reliable reporter.

However, in spite of being a dhanni source, khabar wahid thiqah is considered by most of Shi'ah mujtahids as a valid source for the shari'ah laws. Why? Because the shari'ah itself has approved it. Verse six of Chapter forty nine (Surah al-Hujuraat, 6:49) says that if a single report (khabar wahid) comes from an unreliable (fasiq) reporter, then it should not be accepted without further verification. The impli­cation of this verse is that if a single report comes from a reliable (thiqah) reporter, then accept it without any need for further verification. Therefore, the mujtahids accept the single hadith narrated by a reliable reporter as a source for shari'ah laws because the Qur'an has implicitly approved it.

http://www.al-islam.org/introduction-islamic-shariah-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi/system-ijtihad

Pro-Tusi treat conjecture as if they are certainty out of a faulty implicit interpretation of 46:9. One can interpret 46:9 to say the complete opposite of what these imply out of it. One of these days I will attempt to translate Sharif al-Murtada's section against Khabar al-Wahid in his Dhari'ah as well as Ibn Idris al-Hilli's section about it in his Sarair into English so people can known why relying on Khabar al-Wahid is invalid according to the Ahlul-Bayt (as). Most simply have no clue and most 'Ulama will not tell you much about this because their control over you is via the conjecture of Khabar al-Wahid. There are a few exceptions.