Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did Any Classical Ulama Consider Sunnis Kuffar?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

(salam)

Kuffar means ungratefull and has been wrongly translated for centuries by power driven sectarian priests. It is high time we start using words with the proper meaning.

Not strictly true. Ungrateful is one of the derived meanings . I am posting the Wikipedia link for your attention

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafir

• Veteran Member

With the advent of Yaser al-Habeeb the belief that sunnis are not muslims has taken some ground within one sector of the shia community, but did any of our classical scholars hold such belief? What is the classical shia view on sunnis, what is their status?

With the advent of youtube the belief that Yasser al-Habib is mad and a traitor has taken some ground within large parts of the Shia community,

but which of the shia scholars hold such a belief. What is the shia scholar opinion of Yasser al-Habib 

• Advanced Member

Sunnis (non nasibi form ) are Muslims, ask all the sunni converts in this site. They are though kafir (disbelievers) in wilayah and thus are not mo'mins.. This is the Shia scholarly opinion on them since ever.

A Shia man may marry a Sunni woman, a Shia woman may mary a Sunni man with great dis-likeliness. Their food is halal and their blood, money and other rights of Muslim upon his brothers are preserved.

Yassir Alhabib is lil lecturer, to find out more and be more firm in your religion, let go of these minor arguments and read more Shi classical books. Scholars will not knock on your door to feed you, they may not even appear on tv to preach to you, they wrote books, they are open to questions and they believe that it is your own responsibility to seek knowledge.

• Advanced Member

I should have known better not to include such controversial names as Yaser al-Habeeb in my question. MY QUESTION IS NOT ABOUT HIM. My question is whether there were ANY significant Shia scholars, particularly in the classical era of Al-Mufid, Saduq, Tusi, etc. who were of the opinion that Sunnis are not Muslims.

• Advanced Member

I should have known better not to include such controversiall names as Yaser al-Habeeb in my question. MY QUESTION IS NOT ABOUT HIM. My question is whether there were ANY significant Shia scholars, particularly in the classical era of Al-Mufid, Saduq, Tusi, etc. who were of the opinion that Sunnis are not Muslims.

(salam)

As far as I'm aware, Shaykh As-Sadooq mentioned that whoever rejected the 'Aimmah (as) is as if he rejected the Prophets (saws). Sheikh Mufeed also held a similar position in this regard. However, in regards to whether non-shi'i are considered 'Muslim' or not, we do have a Qur'anic verse & hadith to support it that they are still considered 'Muslim.' 

The bedouins say, "We have believed." Say, "You have not [yet] believed; but say [instead], 'We have submitted,' for faith has not yet entered your hearts. And if you obey Allah and His Messenger, He will not deprive you from your deeds of anything. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful." - Quran 49:14

And from him, from Muhammad bin Yahya, from Ahmad bin Muhammad, from Ali Bin Al-Hakam, from Sufyan Bin Al-Samit, who said:

"A man asked Abu Abdallah [as] about Al-Islam and the belief, what is the difference between the two?' So he [as] did not answer him. Then asked him [as] again, but he [as] did not answer him. Then they met up on a road, and the man was about to leave, so Abu Abdallah [as] said to him: 'It seems that you are about to leave?' So he said. 'Yes'.

He [as] said: 'Come and meet me in the house.' So he met him [as], and asked him [as] about Al-Islam and the belief [Al-Eman], what is the difference between the two? So he [as] said: 'Al-Islam is the apparent which the people are upon - testifying that there is no God but Allah [azwj], One with no associate to him, and that Muhammad [saws] is his servant and his messenger, and the establishing of the Prayer, and the giving of the Zakaat, and the pilgrimage of the house, and the fasting in the Month of Ramadhan, so this is Al-Islam.'

And he [as] said: 'The belief [Al-Eman] - recognise it? It is the command [Al-Wilayah] along with this. So if one accepts by it [Al-Islam] but does not recognise this command [Al-Wilayah], he would be a Muslim, but would be in a 'straying';

(Al-Kafi)

This is position is for the general muslims, however for the nawasib (I.e. the enemies of Allah & ahlulbayt), there is no doubt that they are kaafir and also those who purposely know the truth but reject it, then their Islam is also in question. 

Wallahu 'Aalam

Edited by Labbayk
  • Veteran Member

I should have known better not to include such controversial names as Yaser al-Habeeb in my question. MY QUESTION IS NOT ABOUT HIM. My question is whether there were ANY significant Shia scholars, particularly in the classical era of Al-Mufid, Saduq, Tusi, etc. who were of the opinion that Sunnis are not Muslims.

The only controversy is, is he mad or traitorous scum . Either way it is not permitted to follow a traitor or someone who is mad. Hope this helps 

• Advanced Member

Al sodouq, Almufid, Alsistani etc are all students to Ahlulbayt. They all take their beliefs from Ahlulbayt and there should be no diffrenece between the ancient and the modern scholars.

Surely, ancient scholars had more raw materials and primary resources, but modern scholars have compilations of these resources that may not had all been in the hand of one ancient scholar, as well as compilation of works that explain the meaning and compare the similar hadiths.

All in all, we as shia from imam Ali time till today hold the same position that Sunnis are Muslims but not Mo'mins since they are oblivious or confused about a fundamental beliefs which is the wilayah, the last of obligations that was revealed upon prophet

• Advanced Member

OF COURSE Sunnis are Muslims.

Some of the Imams(as) studied along side them. Included among them are Imam Zayd(as) who quoted Sunni as well as Shia Hadith as long as they conformed to Quran and Sunnah and included them in his book Majmuah al Kabir. He himself was.influenced by his father Imam Zayn Al Abideen(as) and his cousin Imam Baqir (as). An example of a Sunni who studied along side them is Abu Hanifa who is the founder of the Sunni Hanafi mathaab and was a lover of Ahl Al Bayt though not what we would call a Shia. I believe the founder of the Shafi school studied under them too. Imam Jafar As Sadiq (as) also had Sunnis in his study circle.

The difference between early Sunni and Shia Muslims was mostly political. Indeed some of the first people to support Imam Ali (as) were the Ansar of Medina. Imam Ali (as) was the ONLY one of the Muhajirun they supported as a candidate for Khalifa. They did NOT think he was divinely appointed to lead the Ummah but simply that he was the best of Muslims.

The different schools of fiqh had not been developed yet. And there was noone yet who believed in a 12 man Imamate. Nor was their anybody claiming that abu bakr, umar, uthman, or Imam Ali(as) were "rashidun". That type of Sunni thought was brought about by ibn Taymiyah .

So YES we are all Muslims though some of us are misguided.And that was always the position of the only scholars who REALLY matter, the Blessed Ahl Al Bayt(as)

• Advanced Member

Probably Saduq. He came very close to say that the Sunnis are kafir and 'disbeliever' based on his interpretation of the Prophet hadith (that is even valid and accepted by the Sunnis). He said that "Anyone who doesn't believe in the Imamah in any of the twelve Imams is as same as those who didn't believe/accept in the Imamah of Imam Ali and they will be in the same state as those who die a kafir/state of jahiliah".