Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sm9658

Ghadir Khum?

Rate this topic

Im confused as to the reason that this is a controversial day..

As far as my understanding goes, noone disagrees that verses (5:67) and (5:3) were revealed on this day?

And it says "This day i have perfected your religion for you", which is a large statement.. So where does the controversy about this event come from? I understand that people have different interpretations of the world maula but wouldn't the revelation of these verses signify that it is an important event? Is the religion perfected because the prophet did his last hajj and gave a speech, or is it perfected because an Imam was appointed?

Context is different whether someone demands we only look at it amongst the rest of the verse, or whether we do so according to how and when it was revealed, which every scholar of every persuasion says is necessary to understand the Qur'an.

[5:65] If only the People of the Scripture would believe and ward off (evil), surely We should remit their sins from them and surely We should bring them into Gardens of Delight.

[5:66] If they had observed the Torah and the Gospel and that which was revealed unto them from their Lord, they would surely have been nourished from above them and from beneath their feet. Among them there are people who are moderate, but many of them are of evil conduct.

[5:67] O Messenger! Make known that which hath been revealed unto thee from thy Lord, for if thou do it not, thou wilt not have conveyed His message. Allah will protect thee from mankind. Lo! Allah guideth not the disbelieving folk.

[5:68] Say O People of the Scripture! Ye have naught (of guidance) till ye observe the Torah and the Gospel and that which was revealed unto you from your Lord. That which is revealed unto thee (Muhammad) from thy Lord is certain to increase the contumacy and disbelief of many of them. But grieve not for the disbelieving folk.

Edited by igotquestions

Right, but it was revealed at Ghadir Khumm in which there was ZERO talk about other revelations, so why was it revealed? Are you not aware that both Sunni and Shia scholars clearly state that the actual context of moment of The Prophet's life in which it was revealed is important?

^... Last time I checked Shi'i Islam doesn't depend upon the Ahadith of other sects... That's like asking a Muslim to prove the Trinity from the Qur'an.

علي بن إبراهيم، عن ابيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن عمر بن اذينة، عن زرارة والفضيل بن يسار، وبكير بن أعين ومحمد بن مسلم وبريد بن معاوية وأبي الجارود جميعا عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام قال: أمر الله عز وجل رسوله بولاية علي وأنزل عليه " إنما وليكم الله ورسوله والذين آمنوا الذين يقيمون الصلاة ويؤتون الزكاة " وفرض ولاية أولي الامر، فلم يدروا ما هي، فأمر الله محمدا صلى الله عليه وآله أن يفسر لهم الولاية، كما فسر لهم الصلاة، والزكاة والصوم والحج، فلما أتاه ذلك من الله، ضاق بذلك صدر رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله وتخوف أن يرتدوا عن دينهم وأن يكذبوه فضاق صدره وراجع ربه عز وجل فأوحى الله عز وجل إليه " يا أيها الرسول بلغ ما أنزل إليك من ربك وإن لم تفعل فما بلغت رسالته والله يعصمك من الناس " فصدع بأمر الله تعالى ذكره فقام بولاية علي عليه السلام يوم غدير خم، فنادى الصلاة جامعة وأمر الناس أن يبلغ الشاهد الغائب. - قال عمر بن اذينة: قالوا جميعا غير أبي الجارود - وقال أبو جعفر عليه السلام: وكانت الفريضة تنزل بعد الفريضة الاخرى وكانت الولاية آخر الفرائض، فأنزل الله عز وجل " اليوم أكملت لكم دينكم وأتممت عليكم نعمتي " قال أبو جعفر عليه السلام: يقول الله عز وجل: لا انزل عليكم بعد هذه فريضة، قد أكملت لكم الفرائض.

Imam Muhammad al-Baqir [a] said, about the Event of Ghadir:

Obedience to `Ali was an order from Allah to His Messenger, and He revealed upon him, “Verily your guardian is Allah, His messenger, and those who believed – who stand in prayer and give the zakat…” (5:55). And He made obedience to the Possessors of the Command (ulu ‘l-amr) obligatory, and they did not understand what it was; so Allah ordered Muhammad to interpret [and clarify] this obedience to them, just as he interpreted prayer (salat), alms-giving (zakat), fasting (sawm), and Hajj. When Allah gave that [order] to him, the chest of the Messenger of Allah tightened, and he feared that they would apostatize from their religion and bely him – so his chest tightened. He consulted his Lord, so Allah inspired to him, “O Messenger, preach what is revealed to you from your Lord. If you do not preach, it will be as though you have not conveyed My Message, and Allah will protect you from the people”. (5:67) So he executed the command of Allah and declared the wilaya of `Ali on the day of Ghadeer Khumm. He called for a congregational prayer and commanded the people to bear testimony and inform the absent. And an obligation would be revealed one after the other; and the wilaya was the final obligation, so Allah revealed, “Today I have perfected for you your religion and completed my favour…” (5:3) Allah said, "I will not reveal to you any obligation after this – I have completed for you the obligations." (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 753)

And Shia hadiths aren't hujjah upon Sunni's. Guess we're stuck.  :donno:

Looks like it. I guess your stuck believing the Prophet [sawa] commanded tens of thousands of people to be `Ali's 'friend' cos you know, no body understood that from the last 23 years :lol:

Even though I don't believe mawla to mean friend in this case, but okay.

What do you believe it means?

But I guess you believe the early shia had the shirk beliefs of Imami Ithna Ashari Shia's of today. No body understood that from the last 23 years.  :dry:

What? :huh: