Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Giving Money To The Poor (Kafir) Thoughts?

Rate this topic

TheIslamHistory

So I Would like some opinions and perhaps some reasonable answers. This is a topic that has been haunting my mind almost every week. Since some of us Muslims live in European/western countries and have become adapted to the environment, which we live in today, we go passing poor people almost everyday, in the city, rural and urban areas. And I sometimes pull out some extra change I had and give it to them. But is this okay? even if he is a Disbelieve/Kafir?....I am not against giving them Money or anything but I get worried if they spend that money on Smoking, drugs and alcohol or something that would effect their health, since they are (most of them) are disbelievers. On the day of judgement will I be held accountable for that? and won't a person feel guilty if he was the cause of that poor mans death?   can someone give me a Good reasonable conclusion on his issue and perhaps some rulings from Well-Known Scholars?, Thank you so much.

(wasalam)

Edited by TheIslamHistory

• Veteran Member

This kind of attitude is a blight on the Muslim community. You give charity because people are clearly in need,  both materially and of a little compassion and kindness. What they do with that money you cannot ultimately know for sure, and that is true for any person or organisation you give to. I think this 'us and them' attitude is also contributing to Muslims not signing up for organ donarship, which is tragic also. Only this week an article appeared in the paper where a Muslim woman benefited from the organ donation register in the UK and i dont doubt most Muslims would take a kidney or whatever if it was that or death. Its shocks me that some people think Allah is such a tyrant that He would punish you for trying to alleviate the suffering of a fellow human being. We know beneficence and mercy is good because it is an attribute of Allah, so why are we denying ourselves and others this quality? why actively attempt to deny or reduce these qualities in yourself and the world?

Wa salams.

• Advanced Member

Sorry I cant give you a reasoned response, quoting scholars and the like BUT Im shocked you could doubt the good in your charity. In a world full of 'muslims' giving Islam a bad name, your kind act will help to shift the balance. And on another note.... Arent we all born Muslims? hence reverts?  This person may be a kafir now but charitable acts aka Godly acts should serve as a reminder of Allah swt, Allah with the hand that gives but takes not. 

"An act of kindness is like a pebble dropped in a pond. Just as the pebble lifts lily pads at the other side of the pond, so an act of kindness lifts the person you help but also many of those connected to that person. As their own spirits are lifted, their behaviour towards others is kinder too. "

Edited by Django

This kind of attitude is a blight on the Muslim community. You give charity because people are clearly in need,  both materially and of a little compassion and kindness. What they do with that money you cannot ultimately know for sure, and that is true for any person or organisation you give to. I think this 'us and them' attitude is also contributing to Muslims not signing up for organ donarship, which is tragic also. Only this week an article appeared in the paper where a Muslim woman benefited from the organ donation register in the UK and i dont doubt most Muslims would take a kidney or whatever if it was that or death. Its shocks me that some people think Allah is such a tyrant that He would punish you for trying to alleviate the suffering of a fellow human being. We know beneficence and mercy is good because it is an attribute of Allah, so why are we denying ourselves and others this quality? why actively attempt to deny or reduce these qualities in yourself and the world?

Wa salams.

Sorry I cant give you a reasoned response, quoting scholars and the like BUT Im shocked you could doubt the good in your charity. In a world full of 'muslims' giving Islam a bad name, your kind act will help to shift the balance. And on another note.... Arent we all born Muslims? hence reverts?  This person may be a kafir now but charitable acts aka Godly acts should serve as a reminder of Allah swt, Allah with the hand that gives but takes not. 

"An act of kindness is like a pebble dropped in a pond. Just as the pebble lifts lily pads at the other side of the pond, so an act of kindness lifts the person you help but also many of those connected to that person. As their own spirits are lifted, their behaviour towards others is kinder too. "

Yes I agree with you guys. But My point is not that he is Kafir/Disbeliever but I sometimes doubt in that persons morality, so I doubt that he might use it of good use. I use to give money to this poor person each time I go to Uni, and one day I saw him smoking. So I thought to my self if I contributed to the pack of Smokes, I don't want to contribute to his death. I mean I love to give charity to anyone, but when they use it for things that effect their lives I get worried that I might be the reason for that. But yes you guys are right, we should give, even with such circumstances, I feel when I have money and go pass a poor person, such guiltiness in me So I end up giving it.

(wasalam)  

• Veteran Member

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

There is no problem in extending charity to [a non-Muslim] who does not show

hatred against Islam and Muslims; and one who gives such a charity will be

rewarded for this deed.

Wassalamu Alaykum

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:12 PM

To: eanswers@najaf.org

Subject:

So I Would like some opinions and perhaps some reasonable answers. This is a

topic that has been haunting my mind almost every week. Since some of us

Muslims live in European/western countries and have become adapted to the

environment, which we live in today, we go passing poor people almost

everyday, in the city, rural and urban areas. And I sometimes pull out some

extra change I had and give it to them. But is this okay? even if he is a

Disbelieve/Kafir?....I am not against giving them Money or anything but I

get worried if they spend that money on Smoking, drugs and alcohol or

something that would effect their health, since they are (most of them) are

disbelievers. On the day of judgement will I be held accountable for that?

and won't a person feel guilty if he was the cause of that poor mans death?

can someone give me a Good reasonable conclusion on his issue and perhaps

some rulings from Well-Known Scholars?, Thank you so much.

• Advanced Member

So I Would like some opinions and perhaps some reasonable answers. This is a topic that has been haunting my mind almost every week. Since some of us Muslims live in European/western countries and have become adapted to the environment, which we live in today, we go passing poor people almost everyday, in the city, rural and urban areas. And I sometimes pull out some extra change I had and give it to them. But is this okay? even if he is a Disbelieve/Kafir?....I am not against giving them Money or anything but I get worried if they spend that money on Smoking, drugs and alcohol or something that would effect their health, since they are (most of them) are disbelievers. On the day of judgement will I be held accountable for that? and won't a person feel guilty if he was the cause of that poor mans death?   can someone give me a Good reasonable conclusion on his issue and perhaps some rulings from Well-Known Scholars?, Thank you so much.

(wasalam)

Walaikum us salaam. Ask them if they would like a sandwich instead of money. Why not walk with them if a coffee or food shop is near by and buy them a sandwich if a shop is nearby. If I think or know that someone will use it for something bad, then I refrain from giving such a person. Sometimes you can tell if you see someone many times, or seeing him use it for that purpose specifically, etc. But send this question to a marja.

Edited by race

• Veteran Member

(wasalam)

Every kaafir is not a smoking, stealing, thieving, alcoholic good-for-nothing, look at human-beings as human-beings, this may come as a shock to you but believe it or not you do get smoking, stealing, thieving, alcoholic good-for-nothing "muslims." Look at every human being as a fellow in humanity whom you may share a vast amount of similarities and ideals with, even the bad apples are worth having a look at because you can learn from their mistakes AND each has the potential/ propensity to become a Muslim.

As for the charity part. If Allah is willing to tolerantly allot Rizq to one who denies Him, then who are you to second guess their needs?

Was-Salaam

Edited by JawzofDETH

Every kaafir is not a smoking, stealing, thieving, alcoholic good-for-nothing, look at human-beings as human-beings, this may come as a shock to you but believe it or not you do get smoking, stealing, thieving, alcoholic good-for-nothing "muslims." Look at every human being as a fellow in humanity whom you may share a vast amount of similarities and ideals with, even the bad apples are worth having a look at because you can learn from their mistakes AND each has the potential/ propensity to become a Muslim.

As for the charity part. If Allah is willing to tolerantly allot Rizq to one who denies Him, then who are you to second guess their needs?

Was-Salaam

He's specifically talking about homeless people who are statistically more likely to engage in those things...

• Veteran Member

He's specifically talking about homeless people who are statistically more likely to engage in those things...

He mentioned poor people, not "homeless" people.

As for drug abuse (alcohol, smoking, drugs etc.) it happens at every spectrum of society from the filthy rich to the dirt poor.

I do take your point that usage we 'see'/ encounter everyday is from the poor to middle classes of society.

It would be a mistake to judge all people we come into contact being less fortunate or 'street-dwellers' as probable addicts.

Anyway, unless we know not suspect (because of that persons economic circumstance), the onus is not on the giver the concern himself with the implications of his charity. Naturally one can look for signs, like dilated-pupils but anyway depending on the drug; some drug addicts can be VERY convincing of their 'upstandingness.' I'm a smoking-good-for-nothing Muslim, see how convincing I am! :)

Edited by JawzofDETH

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

We should give money to people in need whom ever it may be. They do not have to be Muslim or a Believer as others have mentioned above. 

The fact that you give Charity shows you're pure intentions. Allah(swt) is not going to look at what the person ends up doing after you have given them money, but what your intent was behind giving them the money. 

“If someone isn’t your brother in faith, they are your equal in humanity.” 

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

One of the key principles of Islam is helping other Muslim and even other human beings. The Qur’an and especially the hadith highlight how helping another human being is a fundamental aspect of Islam. Muslims’ primary goal is to worship God, but this is done not only through rituals like prayer and fasting but also through treatment of other people and other fellow Muslims. A Muslim is the brother of another Muslim.

In his book Mafatih al-Hayat, Ayatollah Javadi Amoli has mentioned different traditions relying on various Shia sources. When it comes the significance of helping a Muslim, the Messenger of Allah (S) says,

من أغاث أخاه المسلم حتى يخرجه من همّ وكربة وورطة كتب الله له عشر حسنات، ورفع له عشر درجات، وأعطاه ثواب عتق عشر نسمات، ودفع عنه عشر نقمات و اعد له یوم القیامة عشر شفاعات.

"Whosoever removes a grief from a Muslim brother, Allah, the Exalted, will record for him ten good deeds, promote him ten degrees, grant him the reward for freeing ten slaves, avert ten evils from him and shall prepare for him ten intercessions on the Day of Judgment."[1]

The Prophet of Allah (S) emphasizes that we have to help others and remove the distress or difficulties of one another.  Alleviating the grief and discomfort of others is greater in reward than fasting for a month and performing e'tikaf in the Grand Mosque. The Prophet (S) says:

إنّ معاونة المسلم خير، و أعظم أجرا من صيام شهر و اعتكافه في المسجد الحرام. [2]

Imam Sajjad, the fourth Shia Imam (AS) said, "Whoever helps his brother against an oppressor, God will help him at the time of crossing Sirat Bridge when his feet will tremble." [3]

It is important to help one who is really needy. You should note that there are some professional beggars out there. You should not give them anything because they are professional beggars. Moreover, helping these people who are professional will promote begging in the society. Begging is an evil phenomenon which must eradicated.  Always help those whom you know to be really needy and poor.

[1] Ayatollah Javadi Amoli, The Keys of Life [Mafatih al-Hayat], p.293.

[2] Behar al-Anwar, vol.75, p.217 -218.

[3] Ayatollah Javadi Amoli, The Keys of Life [Mafatih al-Hayat], p.294

• Advanced Member

Once you give your money to a needy, you have no control over how the money is being spent.

It might be spent on alcohol, prostitution, supporting ISIS, gambling, or feeding drug habits.

So, giving money blindly is not a good idea.

If the poor became poor due to their reckless spending or addiction for shopping, then there is no need to give your hard earned money for such causes.

If we are not careful, you will be marked as a target for them to keep asking for money.

We should invest on our own education and personal development first, and you need to save enough for  your old age. If all your needs and your family's are met and you have secured for future, then help your grown children, siblings, parents, relatives, and valuable friends you can trust.

This is from my real life lessons and this does not contradict with quran, I believe.