Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

[LAWS]Are Songs Haram? Confused.

Rate this topic

_dreamer_

• Basic Members

so i've been hearing that litening to songs is haram

but i've also heard there are exceptions..........im so confused

like singing songs to entertain others and stuff is haram, but like no one takes the whole "music is haram" thing seriously...

to be honest i like just singing to myself, sometimes it just comes out involuntary....

anyway, someone clear this up fr me

• Advanced Member

Hey Salaam

So yes, listening to songs is haraam. Haraam are those things that Allah has told us to keep away from because they're harmful to us so even things that we don't understand why they're haraam or how they're harmful to us, it becomes evident to us later.  As long as we listen to what Allah tells us, because in the end, he just wants us to get closer to Him because he's our lord and our creator and he's the reason why everything good happens in our lives. He wants us to be happy and on the path to heaven, having good morals and ethics, helping the poor, etc. Every time when I don't listen to Allah and I sin, even by something I think is small like music (which is actually a pretty big deal), it leads to so problems in my life and makes me weaker and more vunerable.

The technical ruling is "Forbidden music is the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings"

The technical ifs and buts are numerous so I would ask an alim or someone who is knowledgeable in this field. I had written stuff up before but I didn't want to misinform you. If you come across music that is about Allah, Ahlul Bayt, or Quran and it's something that you could see someone dancing to or finding it entertaining like a person does when he listens to radio music, then still it's haraam so try not to be fooled with that. The way I judge it for myself is if it's something that I could enjoy or hear out of entertainment or nod my head up and down to, it's haraam. Please ask someone though, you should know or maybe try to use the search function on this forum and maybe someone has a more intelligent response than I did. 

• Advanced Member

So music that isn't used for entertainment and amusement gathering is allowed? So what about music soundtracks from movies or shows that normally just have an orchestral build to them and not something you are able to dance to? 

• Veteran Member

So music that isn't used for entertainment and amusement gathering is allowed? So what about music soundtracks from movies or shows that normally just have an orchestral build to them and not something you are able to dance to? 

You may find more information here, dear brother.

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/search/3498/

The music laws are more confusing than Islamic wills :/

Either avoid Music out of precaution or don't. Trying to work out what is halal and what is haraam is next to impossible. The man in my display picture allows music. Others forbid it based on precaution. Others, such as Seestaanee (yes, I wrote it that way to annoy people), say that some is halal and some isn't. It's confusing. Either listen or don't. You're going to lose your mind if you try to make a distinction between various types.

Note: by various types, I'm referring to that grey area. Obviously most modern American music would be haraam because the lyrics contain very haraam references.