Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How Can A Human Becoma A "god"

Rate this topic

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL @ CLynn,   Why is the sky blue? Why is blue blue?   Whoa, what you find out when you aren't looking. Note; Quran just dropped from 100% - 95% Allah speech. <---- Never saw that comin. This must

Marry a minimum of 3 wives, go to Church every Sunday, perform some Occult rituals in a temple, give 10% of all yer money to the Church, don't drink caffeine or smoke, volunteer all of your free time

Question is in the title, only chrisitans answer please.

• Veteran Member

Baqar, when you associate our three religions with the others, you are mixing apples and oranges.

Hi Placid

I was extremely surprised at Clynn's statement that Buddhism is not the same as the teachings of Buddha.

May be but one thing is certain.

The Buddha was a wonderful human being but not a man of God, nor a representative of God.

He rarely talked about God.

His mission was to reform the people's attitudes to other people and other forms of life.

Buddhism is, in fact, not a religion, just a philosophy of how human beings should treat other living beings

The Buddha was like Gandhi.

That is all 

• Advanced Member

Greetings Ali Musaaa,

I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.

I will not execute my burning anger;

I will not again destroy Ephraim;

for I am God and not a man,

the Holy One in your midst,

and I will not come in wrath.  [Hosea 11:9]

asalaam.

I think you need to read the passage again. 

By definition, God is not human. 

Greetings Clynn

Perhaps you might like to quote from their scriptures what the Buddha taught about God.

Fairly or absolutely?

When I first discovered that Buddhists don't believe in God, I was very surprised myself.

I doubt if he even mentioned God and even if he did, it was on the sidelines and not the mainstay of his teachings.

I don't know.

One who studies Buddhism and thinks Buddhists do not believe in God falls in either of two categories: Either this individual himself doesn't understand God and is thinking of some "god". Or this individual really hasn't connected the dots as far as their respective languages are concerned, because Tawhid is nothing but what Buddhists refer to as Sunyata.

The Buddha was a wonderful human being but not a man of God, nor a representative of God.

He rarely talked about God.

The Buddha was like Gandhi.

Baqar,

Anyone who is not a man of God cannot be a wonderful human being. And anyone who is a wonderful human being must be a man of God.

Ma'salama

MK

Edited by eThErEaL
  • Veteran Member

One who studies Buddhism and thinks Buddhists do not believe in God falls in either of two categories: Either this individual himself doesn't understand God and is thinking of some "god". Or this individual really hasn't connected the dots as far as their respective languages are concerned, because Tawhid is nothing but what Buddhists refer to as Sunyata.

I doubt it.

Actually, I do not know anything about Sunyata but this is what Wikipedia has to say.

Śūnyatā,(Sanskrit, also shunyata; Pali:suññatā), in Buddhism, translated into English as emptinessvoidness,[1]openness,[2] spaciousnessvacuity, is a Buddhist concept which has multiple meanings depending on its doctrinal context. In Theravada Buddhism, suññatā often refers to the not-self (Pāli:anatta, Sanskrit: anātman)[note 1] nature of the five aggregates of experience and the six sense spheres. Suññatā is also often used  to refer to a meditative state or experience.

And there is no indication of a belief in God.

I know from Buddhist friends what I said. If there are multiple beliefs among Buddhists, well that would be a different matter. 

Anyone who is not a man of God cannot be a wonderful human being. And anyone who is a wonderful human being must be a man of God.

So you are saying that atheists cannot be good people.

I doubt it. 

Anyway, whatever the answer, it is beside the point.

When I said 'man of God;',I meant 'messenger of God'.

Meaning to say that the Buddha was not a person claiming to be a messenger of God. 

Wrong choice of words !

Buddhists say that the Buddha did not even mention God. 

Edited by baqar

I doubt it.

So you are saying that atheists cannot be good people.

I doubt it. 

Anyway, whatever the answer, it is beside the point.

An atheist cannot possibly be a good person. If an atheist is good then he is a hypocrite. Also, the word "atheist" may not refer to people who call themselves atheists. Some atheists believe in God but merely call themselves atheists because they don't believe in the gods that most hypocritical believers believe in (the Buddha is an example of such an atheist or non-theist). Some so called people of religion are atheists because their lives are essentially the same as a God-less person, belief in God is merely on their tongues and not in their hearts.

The argument is whether the Buddha tauight about God. As I said before, to my knowledge there is no evidence for that.

And he never declared that he was a messenger of God, like every prophet does.

The words "messenger" or "prophet" need not be used. These words are used within Abrahamic Traditions. But Non-Abrahamic traditions may take on a unique kind of color or way of expressing certain realities (they clearly do). The Absolute Truth is not this or that doctrine. The Absolute Truth may be expressed through this or that doctrine but It is in itself Transcendent. Sometimes God's Essence is the focus of attention in a religious tradition and therefore God would best be expressed by way of silence (as is the case in Buddhism). Sometimes God's Divinity (God Manifest) is the focus of attention in a religious tradition and therefore God would best be expressed by a name or names (qualities and attributes). This latter case is what we find in the Abrahamic Traditions in particular. Edited by eThErEaL
  • Veteran Member

Hi Baqar,

Quote from 213:
Buddhism is, in fact, not a religion, just a philosophy of how human beings should treat other living beings.

Response: --- This is what I was saying, that you can’t compare the religions that came from God through Abraham, --- to the philosophy of good men.
When we compare Jews, Christians, and Muslims, we are talking about the religions that God honored.

--- When you talk about other religions, or philosophies, as being comparable, it adds confusion. --- Ours is a religion of Faith in God. --- Theirs is more a system of attitudes and works.

Be that as it may, Buddhist scriptures do not recognize a divine Being.  

Yes...so what i was saying was that Buddhism does  recognize the Divine Being!

...Buddhism approaches God by emphasizing the Essence of God, hence the silence.  And this is VERY OBVIOUS.at least for some of us..

:)

if anyone is interested in learning more, here is a study endorsed by Islamic Scholars and the Dali Lama.

And for my dear Christian friends here is a study by D.T. Suzuki (a Zen Scholar and practitioner) comparing Christianity with Zen.

enjoy!

Ethereal

Edited by eThErEaL