Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Baldwin

Hell For Relatives Of A Converted Muslim?

Rate this topic

This is a sensitive question.

After a non-Muslim converts to Islam and his/her relatives end up not converting before their deaths, what follows according to Islamic teachings? Will his/her parents go to Hell for not being Muslim, while he/she goes to Paradise (if he/she would turn out to be a good Muslim, of course)? Or, will his/her relatives be saved from Hell thanks to him/her choosing for Islam (I remember someone telling me something like this)?

It's such a horrible thought that the parents of a converted Muslim cannot join their child in the afterlife.

This is a sensitive question.

After a non-Muslim converts to Islam and his/her relatives end up not converting before their deaths, what follows according to Islamic teachings? Will his/her parents go to Hell for not being Muslim, while he/she goes to Paradise (if he/she would turn out to be a good Muslim, of course)? Or, will his/her relatives be saved from Hell thanks to him/her choosing for Islam (I remember someone telling me something like this)?

It's such a horrible thought that the parents of a converted Muslim cannot join their child in the afterlife.

Only Allah knows who goes to hell or heaven... But there have been hadith that people that die in the path of Allah can intercede for others and ask for them to go to heaven. I'm not sure if this applies to non-Muslims but it might.

Some non-Muslims will go to paradise by the way. Even if they don't believe in Islam... Because they did the best they could with what they had and were good people...

Also, the person should try and talk to their parents and explain why they chose Islam as well so that they might learn about Islam and maybe see the light as well.

Edited by BuggyLemon

Allah (awj) will decide who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. According to one hadis, most of the people would end up in heaven. One thing I am very sure of that Allah (awj) doesn't create us to simply toss us into the hell. Each and everyone of us has a different examination paper and we would be judged according to that.

It is and it is something that always plays one ones mind. There is nothing you can do because its up to that person and God. You can only do so much to present the message and if they accept Islam, they do and if they don't then... they don't.

There is a trend amongst Muslims to focus on this issue and constantly worry about the fate of others when what's important is we focus on our selves and ensuring our own salvation. In the process of this we must strive to guide those who are not trending the same path but at the end of the day only those with an open heart and mind will be guided.

The Prophet is told in the Qur'an to remind them and convey the message. His duty wasn't beyond that. He wasn't able to guide everyone he desired and the Qur'an makes mention of how some people's refusal to believe grieved him immensely. Our role is do what he did and simply convey the message. As the old saying goes: you can lead a horse to water but you can't him drink.

Everyone is given signs and knowledge by Allah(s.w.a). Noone, except that person and Allah(s.w.a) knows the signs and knowlege they are given. 

Whatever they are given, they are responsible for and if they are given too many signs by Allah(s.w.a) and choose to ignore them, then, of course, the result of that is that they will be classified as kafir (those who reject the clear signs of Allah(s.w.a) after knowledge has come to them) and the place of th kafireen is in hellfire. By the continous acts of rejection of the mercy of Allah(s.w.a), they create their own hell around themselves. In this life, it is hidden, but when they die, the veil is lifted and they will be able to see it clearly and the barrier between it and them will be removed, so they will be in the midst of it. 

At the same time, by someone accepting Islam and living according to the laws which Allah(s.w.a) has decreed, the create a paradise around themselves. It is hidden from them in this life but when they die and the veil is removed they will see it and will be in it. 

At the same time, noone can look at another person and say whether they will go to hell or not. Only Allah(s.w.a) knows that and He(s.w.a) may choose to have mercy on them or not. That is up to Him(s.w.a).

Except the people who Allah(swt) told us they will go to hell. Plus Allah (swt) showed us the path on how to end up in hell. If I see someone walking on that path then I can easily say if that person dies today he will end up in hell. But I could be wrong.

There are a lot of things one can do in the world to ensure that their parents, family and friends are in heaven. You can take it upon yourself to ensure that their kadhaa have been repaid, all their debts have been fulfilled, etc. You can also open up charities and other projects on their behalf that will give them thawaab even after their death.

However, if one is not able to do this in the world, then Allah (s.w.t) has still given us a way out in the akherah. Without a doubt, he is the magnificent and the merciful. In the akherah, you can get your parents to heaven if you give away your good deeds to balance their account. Therefore, make sure you have lots and lots of good deeds!

Source: A religious scholar told it to me...

I've read that a non-Muslim won't necessarily go to hell if he was not given dawah during his lifetime.If he never heard of Islam and thus never had a chance to revert,it would be unfair to set him in hell.

(Salam)

But the message of Islam is reveiled to everyone one way or the other by Allah! I've myself talked to a lot of Christians, all of them know about Islam but they don't bother you research on it. Rather, they just follow the way of their father and forefathers. And Islam is the best religion. How can a person who knows about Allah and his Messenger (saww) and Islam but ignores it, denies It's teachings just happen to enter Heaven?

It'll be just like entering a college(heaven) without giving an entry exam(following Allah and his Messenger) even when you knew about the answers of the exam but you didn't study it(Islam) Then, it will b an unfair treatment with those who spent their whole live studying it, and giving the exam at their best level.

But then again, Allah-The most Merciful and The Just knows best.

(salam)

2:62 Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

(salam)

(salam)

2:62 Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

(salam)

Sahih International

Indeed, those who believed and those who were Jews or Christians or Sabeans [before Prophet Muhammad] - those [among them] who believed in Allah and the Last Day and did righteousness - will have their reward with their Lord, and no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve

This has been on my mind quite a bit lately. I am a revert, and my whole family is non-Muslim. They support me of course, however I worry about their status in the hereafter. Allah (swt) guides who he chooses, so I just make du'a that they are guided one day inshaAllah. I try my best to set a good example for them, and use that as a form of Dawah.

Salam Br, 

There is no use worrying about it. Their fate is out of your hands. You do have responsibilities toward your non muslim relatives, like visiting them when you can, helping them financially if they need help and you have the ability to help them, and being kind and respectful toward them and try to maintain good realtionships. If your Islam is reflected in your behaviour toward them, they will most likely become interested and ask you. When they ask, you can share with them regarding your faith. Then it is up to them to decide to follow the truth or not. 

I am a revert, and my whole family is non-Muslim. They support me of course, however I worry about their status in the hereafter. 

I don't think you should worry at all about them. Just because they are not Muslims does not necessarily mean they will be punished for it.  

God's judgment surpasses anything you and I can possibly capture in our minds and understand.

If non-Muslims will go to hell just because they are non-Muslims, it also means that God is unjust.

Because in all probability, if they had been born Muslim, they would have remained Muslim.

Statistically most people follow (or claim to follow) the religion of their birth.

So if God punishes us because we are in the wrong religion, it means He is punishing us for our birth, which we are not responsible for anyway. 

Muslims will be better off worrying about themselves than for others.

In my view, religion will play a minimal role in God's final decision. 

I don't think you should worry at all about them. Just because they are not Muslims does not necessarily mean they will be punished for it.  

God's judgment surpasses anything you and I can possibly capture in our minds and understand.

If non-Muslims will go to hell just because they are non-Muslims, it also means that God is unjust.

Because in all probability, if they had been born Muslim, they would have remained Muslim.

Statistically most people follow (or claim to follow) the religion of their birth.

So if God punishes us because we are in the wrong religion, it means He is punishing us for our birth, which we are not responsible for anyway. 

Muslims will be better off worrying about themselves than for others.

In my view, religion will play a minimal role in God's final decision. 

Or, not all Muslims will go to Heaven because they did not fulfill the test of right belief, one of the most important "questions" on the "exam paper" as we just followed it as the religion we inherited from our family and surroundings, as opposed to because we actually believe it to be the truth? Do you think that the verses of the Qur'an criticising those who followed the wrong religion simply because their fathers did so are only referring to the pagans Arabs of that time?

There is a hadith I remeber reading where the Prophet said anyone who has heard about the prophet Mohd and Islam and then denies ie doesn't become muslim they will go to hell.

Those who have not heard about the prophet or islam Allah (S.W.T) will judge them according to their deeds and righteousness. As long as they were not idol worshippers or Mushriks.

Those who have been isolated from society I read somewhere that they will be returned to earth or kept in the lowest heaven.

Some people/nations/communities came between prophets. Ie they didn't get to meet a prophet or anyform of guidance. They will be judged according to their deeds.

Some hadith I read which I don't remember well is that Allah will give them a test on that day and if they pass they will be saved.

But what I know for sure is that those who met prophets but denied them and their message would go to hell. Even the friend of Allah (SWT) Prophet Ibrahim told his dad as he was leaving him that he would continue to pray for him. But Allah (SWT) ordered him NOT to pray for his father ie those who have denied his message and relegion.

In short in this current age their is very few people who haven't heard about Nabi Mohd and islam. So if they die while not muslims they will go to hell.

The ayat which says of jews, christians and sabaens who do righteous deeds will have no fear on them refers to those who followed their prophets true message.

NOT the current crop of Christians who believe in trinity or take jesus as God.

Also all those who say the islamic Shahada will end up in paradise. But those whose bad deeds were more than good deeds will go to hell first. After some time while suffering the non muslims in hell will mock them saying didn't you used to say that those who profess islam will go to heaven? Why are you in here with us. They will then cry out to the prophet who will intercede on their behalf to Allah SWT and they will taken out, dipped in paradise rivers and admitted to paradise. Allah SWT will say to the angels take anyone out who had faith even equal to a mustard seed, and they will be taken out of hell and admitted to paradise. And some Allah SWT will remove himself as a sign of His Mercy.

Also Prophet said the lowest person in heaven would receive 10 times the like of this world.

Also those who were inmates of hell and later go to paradise will have a mark on them. And the ppl of paradise will point and say to oneanother that those ppl first were in hell b4 going to paradise. They will pray to Allah and aftersome time this mark will also be removed from their bodies.

Oh I think the test of those who did not receive any guidance during their lives ie bushman and brazilian amazon tribes with no human contact their test is they will be ordered to go in the fire. Those who obey will be entering paradise. I think that is their test or something similar if my memory of the hadith is correct.

Sorry guys I have rambled for long

Asalamaleikum

Those who have heard about the prophet and his message and deny It would go to hell. No questions about that.

Prophet Ibrahim was forbiden by Allah to pray for his father ie those who have denied prophets and the message they bring from Allah SWT.

The ayat of quran which says the jews and christians and sabaens who do good no fear will be on them refers to those who followed the true relegion and guidance their prophets taught and brought.

Not the current crop of xians who believe in trinity or that jesus is God.

Those who are isolated and no propeht reached them during their time I read somewhere that they will left ar barzakah, ie a region/place between paradise and hell. Or returned to earth or another hadith I read says Allah will give them a test,order. Those who pass will go to heaven.

All who say islamic shahada will end up in paradise. Those with many bad deeds will serve time in hell before being admitted to paradise.

The non muslim inmates of hell will mock them and say didn't u say that if u become muslim u will be in paradise? Why u here with us? They will cry out to the prohet and the prophet will intercede on their behalf. Then all who said shahada will be removed, even those who had faith equal to a mustard seed! And even others Allah will remove himself as a sign of his mercy and Rahma.

Bismillah.

Dear friend,

I believe firstly we have to consider this important point that the Judge of the Day of Judgment is the all-Merciful Creator. Secondly I have to mention that it is not necessary that every non-Muslim will go to hell; Allah through His mercy will judge everybody and in that day and maybe many of good persons who were not Muslim due to their ignorance would enter the paradise.

Don't worry. A good Mumin, has always the option to take his or her relative to heaven with them as Shafa'ah. Although it does depend on the relative's capability to enter the heaven.

It is reported from our Imams that they have the power to take us to heaven but they also asked us to help them by appearing as human in the day of judgment, since hell's animals can't enter heaven nor enjoy its blessings.

So, if your relatives are relatively good people, there is a great chance that they will go to heaven with you.

It's also not bad to mention this point that not any person who left this world before becoming a Muslim would go to hell. Many people who died before they get the message of Islam, would have other examinations and other chances in the Afterlife.

Think of ourselves before we hear about Islam. We definitely believe in Islam, while we wouldn't be a Muslim if we died before it got to us.

Just pray for them, and for yourself ... and me! :)

(salam) 

I am so surprised with what I have read from brothers most of who are opining regardless any supportive sources so I have decided to have a brief research through Quranic verses and hadiths so I can share it with the dear brothers and sisters therefore the outcome will be summarized in following points:

The basic understanding of quran and traditions indicates that the momen is the one that is considered for going to heaven And it is concluded from sources that intercession is only for true believers . Behold the following verse interpreted by coming hadith: یعلم ما بین ایدیهم وما خلفهم و لا یشفعون الا لمن ارتضی

He knows that which is before them and that which is behind them, and they do not intercede except for someone He approves of  (21:28)

حَدَّثَنَا أَبِي رَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا سَعْدُ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ هَاشِمٍ عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ مَعْبَدٍ عَنِ الْحُسَيْنِ بْنِ خَالِدٍ عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ مُوسَى الرِّضَا عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ آبَائِهِ عَنْ أَمِيرِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ع قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص‏ مَنْ لَمْ يُؤْمِنْ بِحَوْضِي فَلَا أَوْرَدَهُ اللَّهُ حَوْضِي وَ مَنْ لَمْ يُؤْمِنْ بِشَفَاعَتِي فَلَا أَنَالَهُ اللَّهُ شَفَاعَتِي ثُمَّ قَالَ ص إِنَّمَا شَفَاعَتِي لِأَهْلِ الْكَبَائِرِ مِنْ أُمَّتِي فَأَمَّا الْمُحْسِنُونَ فَمَا عَلَيْهِمْ مِنْ سَبِيلٍ قَالَ الْحُسَيْنُ بْنُ خَالِدٍ فَقُلْتُ لِلرِّضَا ع يَا ابْنَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ فَمَا مَعْنَى قَوْلِ اللَّهِ عَزَّ وَ جَلَ‏ وَ لا يَشْفَعُونَ إِلَّا لِمَنِ ارْتَضى‏ قَالَ لَا يَشْفَعُونَ إِلَّا لِمَنِ ارْتَضَى اللَّهُ دِينَه‏                                                                                                     It is clear from the above-mentioned hadith that intercession( shafaa'h) is specialized for who has the religion which Allah satisfies with it . So the only interceded person is the one who has the right religion that he has to accept and the accepted religion at our time is Islam

The other point is there are some groups added to the aforementioned people who deserve intercession including :

1. people who like Ahlulbayt 
  2. people who helped shias in this world​

​But it is clear from hadiths (.i.e.included completely in the 21st chapter of eighth volume of bihar ul Anwar) that the certain condition of deserving intercession is not being  monotheist (mushrik) and current Christianity and Judaism and other religions were considered monotheism (Shirk) in Quran . however it is possible that having good behaviors and manners affects and weakens on the level of the nonbeliever's punishment as it is reported in a hadith about Hatam Attaee because he used to be openhanded

I do not deny that it is possible for a nonbeliever to go heaven since he is considered as Mustaza'f(i.e.explained in one of my previous post

At last I promiss to load a pack of supportive sources in following post

​But it is clear from hadiths (.i.e.included completely in the 21st chapter of eighth volume of bihar ul Anwar) that the certain condition of deserving intercession is not being  monotheist (mushrik) and current Christianity and Judaism and other religions were considered monotheism (Shirk) in Quran . however it is possible that having good behaviors and manners affects and weakens on the level of the nonbeliever's punishment as it is reported in a hadith about Hatam Attaee because he used to be openhanded

Monotheism means Tawhid.

Shirk is polytheism.

(salam)

we can't go beyond our decisive facts and beliefs, they are the basis of our faith.

And if we face a narration contrasting that one, you have no choice but to justify it a different way.

وَأَن لَّيۡسَ لِلۡإِنسَٰنِ إِلَّا مَا سَعَىٰ ٣٩

39. And that man shall have nothing but what he strives for-

وَأَنَّ سَعۡيَهُۥ سَوۡفَ يُرَىٰ ٤٠

40. And that his striving shall soon be seen-

ثُمَّ يُجۡزَىٰهُ ٱلۡجَزَآءَ ٱلۡأَوۡفَىٰ ٤١

41. Then shall he be rewarded for it with the fullest reward

Don't worry. A good Mumin, has always the option to take his or her relative to heaven with them as Shafa'ah. Although it does depend on the relative's capability to enter the heaven.

It is reported from our Imams that they have the power to take us to heaven but they also asked us to help them by appearing as human in the day of judgment, since hell's animals can't enter heaven nor enjoy its blessings.

So, if your relatives are relatively good people, there is a great chance that they will go to heaven with you.

very good faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where can we find such a kind of nice religion. :excl: 

So we all would give up and send a representative who is Muslim, then all of us will be given reward.

don't you think this is a little ridiculous?

we have Shafah but for those who have mixed committing sin and doing good deeds while he is a believer.

وَءَاخَرُونَ ٱعۡتَرَفُواْ بِذُنُوبِهِمۡ خَلَطُواْ عَمَلٗا صَٰلِحٗا وَءَاخَرَ سَيِّئًا عَسَى ٱللَّهُ أَن يَتُوبَ عَلَيۡهِمۡۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ غَفُورٞ رَّحِيمٌ ١٠٢

102. And others have confessed their faults, they have mingled a good deed and an evil one; may be Allah will turn to them (mercifully); surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

(salam)

(wasalam)

So you entered, then what? Oh, here it comes!

very good faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where can we find such a kind of nice religion. :excl:

So we all would give up and send a representative who is Muslim, then all of us will be given reward.

don't you think this is a little ridiculous?

we have Shafah but for those who have mixed committing sin and doing good deeds while he is a believer.

وَءَاخَرُونَ ٱعۡتَرَفُواْ بِذُنُوبِهِمۡ خَلَطُواْ عَمَلٗا صَٰلِحٗا وَءَاخَرَ سَيِّئًا عَسَى ٱللَّهُ أَن يَتُوبَ عَلَيۡهِمۡۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ غَفُورٞ رَّحِيمٌ ١٠٢

102. And others have confessed their faults, they have mingled a good deed and an evil one; may be Allah will turn to them (mercifully); surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Oh, no, man! Did you read my comment at all?

So, you think that if you give up your religion and send a representative you will still be considered "relatively good"? Do you think you would appear as human?

Definitely not!

salam alaykum

This is our acts(good/bad) and pure intentions determines whether Heaven or Hell is our destiny, and Allah judges the best not only in a just way but through his grace and mercy would granted upon many of us to go to His Heaven, true Muslims here, are more likely to be there yet it does not negate "non- Muslims  do not go to Heaven"  if they are submissive to Allah. This is the right path which means; being totally submissive to the Truth(God) this is Islam in fact, to be a Muslim in heart and practice, not only in name, so due to this criteria comes from Hadith and the Holy Qur'an  some none - Muslims in name. go to Heaven,while many Muslims in name may not enter Heaven. of course it is true that Islam is a guarantee and a right path and whoever follows it ends to Heaven. beyond that, Heaven is a place for Innocent righteous servants in this world and the kings of the life of paradise.believing men and women those who are connected to one another through their faith and belief living in peace all together,so it means there is no family connection there unless you  are believers( true Muslims)  as was described already, yes many couples would be in Heaven if  they are good and their children as well , and some are not as so.

this is a crystal clear e.x of  the Quran in the case of Noah and his son Kana'n while he was deviated from the right path of his father yet Noah called him to be back before being drown,(Surah; Hud,No.45,46) when Noah called Allah" قال رب ان إبنی من أهلی(  my lord my son is of my family) the answer was: قال ینوح إنه لیس من أهلک( O Noah! he is not of your family. you see here Allah even does not accept the request of one of his great prophets for He is just for He granted every chance to this rebel son of Noah to return but even in the time of  that trial the son intentionally went astray, so Hell is for Hell's those witnessed the sings of truth yet  do mischief.         

salam alaykum

This is our acts(good/bad) and pure intentions determines whether Heaven or Hell is our destiny, and Allah judges the best not only in a just way but through his grace and mercy would granted upon many of us to go to His Heaven, true Muslims here, are more likely to be there yet it does not negate "non- Muslims  do not go to Heaven"  if they are submissive to Allah. This is the right path which means; being totally submissive to the Truth(God) this is Islam in fact, to be a Muslim in heart and practice, not only in name, so due to this criteria comes from Hadith and the Holy Qur'an  some none - Muslims in name. go to Heaven,while many Muslims in name may not enter Heaven. of course it is true that Islam is a guarantee and a right path and whoever follows it ends to Heaven. beyond that, Heaven is a place for Innocent righteous servants in this world and the kings of the life of paradise.believing men and women those who are connected to one another through their faith and belief living in peace all together,so it means there is no family connection there unless you  are believers( true Muslims)  as was described already, yes many couples would be in Heaven if  they are good and their children as well , and some are not as so.

this is a crystal clear e.x of  the Quran in the case of Noah and his son Kana'n while he was deviated from the right path of his father yet Noah called him to be back before being drown,(Surah; Hud,No.45,46) when Noah called Allah" قال رب ان إبنی من أهلی(  my lord my son is of my family) the answer was: قال ینوح إنه لیس من أهلک( O Noah! he is not of your family. you see here Allah even does not accept the request of one of his great prophets for He is just for He granted every chance to this rebel son of Noah to return but even in the time of  that trial the son intentionally went astray, so Hell is for Hell's those witnessed the sings of truth yet  do mischief.