Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salaamu 'Alaykum,

During my stay in Najaf al-Ashraf I was given the honor to reside with many 'Ulema and tulaba of the Hawza. One day a wakeel of Hafiz Bashir al-Najafi (HA) and Sayyid Sadiq Shirazi (HA) came to visit me (even though I don't deserve any visitation) and they started discussing with me in regards to Islamic history. For the 'Ulema, it is a source of interest to hear the point of view of American Shi'a Muslims. Moving on we discussed the Battle of Jamal and Ayesha's wrongdoings, when I out of habit said something inappropriate about az-Zubayr. I somewhat cursed him, due to my ignorance. Almost immediately the wakeel rebuked me with an IMMENSELY ANGRY tone that az-Zubayr, although originally on the wrong side, asked Amir al-Mo'mineen for forgiveness and left the battlefield. He, az-Zubayr, was ashamed of his wrong doing thus he attempted to return home to Madina. During his trip back an assassin from the camp of Ayesha deceived him and killed him whilst he was in prayer, thus az-Zubayr died a martyr. When Ameer al-Mo'mineen (A) received the news of this he wept significantly and made much Du'a for his forgiveness. After hearing this narrative from the wakeel I have been troubled by this very much so and I would like to know why do we, Shi'a, not give az-Zubayr similar treatment to Hur ibn Yazid?

A general of an army in the midst of an eminent war realizes his mistake, and asks for forgiveness from the Ahlul-Bayt (S), and later is killed on this basis should be honored, but he is not. I look at myself as one who has been blessed with much study in history but even with all what I studied I never had a good impression of az-Zubayr. How can this be? And when I take the name of az-Zubayr in front of our Shi'a brothers, even learned ones, they tend to ridicule him. Why is this so?

-Agha Shabbir Abbas 

Zubayr was killed by Amr ibn Jurmuz, away from the battlefield, who I think was in Imam Ali's army. Sunni sources say that after killing him Amr went to Imam Ali who rebuked him.

Naghjul Bulagha has something on Zubayr too.

Edited by Vigilare

Zubayr was killed by Amr ibn Jurmuz, away from the battlefield, who I think was in Imam Ali's army. Sunni sources say that after killing him Amr went to Imam Ali who rebuked him.

Naghjul Bulagha has something on Zubayr too.

Shia sources too say Imam rebuked the assassin.

Salaamu 'Alaykum,

During my stay in Najaf al-Ashraf I was given the honor to reside with many 'Ulema and tulaba of the Hawza. One day a wakeel of Hafiz Bashir al-Najafi (HA) and Sayyid Sadiq Shirazi (HA) came to visit me (even though I don't deserve any visitation) and they started discussing with me in regards to Islamic history. For the 'Ulema, it is a source of interest to hear the point of view of American Shi'a Muslims. Moving on we discussed the Battle of Jamal and Ayesha's wrongdoings, when I out of habit said something inappropriate about az-Zubayr. I somewhat cursed him, due to my ignorance. Almost immediately the wakeel rebuked me with an IMMENSELY ANGRY tone that az-Zubayr, although originally on the wrong side, asked Amir al-Mo'mineen for forgiveness and left the battlefield. He, az-Zubayr, was ashamed of his wrong doing thus he attempted to return home to Madina. During his trip back an assassin from the camp of Ayesha deceived him and killed him whilst he was in prayer, thus az-Zubayr died a martyr. When Ameer al-Mo'mineen Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã received the news of this he wept significantly and made much Du'a for his forgiveness. After hearing this narrative from the wakeel I have been troubled by this very much so and I would like to know why do we, Shi'a, not give az-Zubayr similar treatment to Hur ibn Yazid?

A general of an army in the midst of an eminent war realizes his mistake, and asks for forgiveness from the Ahlul-Bayt (S), and later is killed on this basis should be honored, but he is not. I look at myself as one who has been blessed with much study in history but even with all what I studied I never had a good impression of az-Zubayr. How can this be? And when I take the name of az-Zubayr in front of our Shi'a brothers, even learned ones, they tend to ridicule him. Why is this so?

-Agha Shabbir Abbas

Anyone else heard about this? This looks strange.

I would like to know why do we, Shi'a, not give az-Zubayr similar treatment to Hur ibn Yazid?

Hurr sought repentance, left the wrong side and did the right thing - joined Imam Husain a.s.

Al-Zubayr, left the wrong side and did another wrong side - fleeing from battle, without joining Imam Ali a.s.

The difference between the two is quite clear.

Hurr sought repentance, left the wrong side and did the right thing - joined Imam Husain a.s.

Al-Zubayr, left the wrong side and did another wrong side - fleeing from battle, without joining Imam Ali a.s.

The difference between the two is quite clear.

Imam Ali (AS) told him to leave.

Imam Ali (as) told him to leave.

that proves that he was like Hurr???

Lets say this is true, that Imam Ali a.s. told him to leave, this could also mean that he did not want such hypocrites fighting alongside him, because they will be nothing but trouble, as was the case with the Prophet s.a.w.s on the expedition of Tabuk:

"Therefore if Allah brings you back to a party of them and then they ask your permission to go forth, say: By no means shall you ever go forth with me and by no means shall you fight an enemy with me; surely you chose to sit the first time, therefore sit (now) with those who remain behind." (9:83)

Lets look at the sayings of the Imams a.s. about Zubair:

Imam Sadiq a.s. narrated that he was once asked by a group of Basris about Talha and Zubair, and he replied: "they were two imams from amongst the imams of kufr..."

(Tafseer al-Ayashi, under the verse 9:12)

Imam Ali a.s. said: "ANd as for Zubair ibn al-Awam, he cut of his blood ties with me, and broke his pledge to me, and openly declared animosity, and raised a war against me, and he knows that he is a zalim against me, so Oh Allah rid me of him however and wherever You please!"

(Kashf al-Ghummah)

Imam Ali a.s. said similar words as related in Al-Kafi (5:53)

Imam Sadiq a.s. said: "No, by Allah, The leadership and khilafah will not revert to the offspring of Abu Bakr, nor the offspring of Umar, never, nor to the Banu Umayya ever, not to the progeny of Talha and the progeny of Zubair, never, as they discarded the Quran, and annulled the Sunnah, and deactivated the ahkam..." (Al-Kafi v2, p600-1)

Imam Ali a.s. said: "“The first amongst you to pay allegiance to me was Talhah and Zubair, which they did voluntarily and without coercion; then they did not linger to seek my permission to go for Umrah, and Allah knew that they intended treachery, so I renewed their pledge with me that they be obedient and that they do not seek to harm the nation with their evil. They pledged anew, and they did not fulfill them. They violated their allegiance and broke their vow.” (Al-Irshad)

Imam Ali a.s. said: “These two men pledged their allegiance to me. They both and you all acted voluntarily. Then they arose and headed for Basrah to divide your community, and to cast calamity within you. Oh Allah, punish them for their cheating of this nation and for their evil perspectives about the people.” Then he (a.s.) said to the people: “Go make haste you all – may Allah be merciful to you – in seeking these two treacherous renegades…” (Al-Irshad)

Imam Ali a.s. said: “When they both (Talhah and Zubair) saw that Allah had returned our right to us after some time, they did not wait a single year, nor a single month, that they returned to their ways of their predecessors, to take away my right, and to separate the community of Muslims from me.” Then he cursed them. (Al-Irshad)

Imam Ali a.s. said of Zubair's army: “Beware! Satan has collected his group and assembled his horse-men and foot-soldiers.” (Nahj al-Balagha sermon 10)

Imam Ali a.s. also said: “You advanced towards me, like she-camels having delivered newly born young ones leaping towards their young, shouting "allegiance, allegiance!". I held back my hand but you pulled it towards you. I drew back my hand but you dragged it. Oh Allah! These two (Talhah and Zubair) have ignored my rights and did injustice to me. They both have broken allegiance to me, and roused people against me.” (sermon 137)

And: “Both of these two (Talhah and Zubayr) wishes the Caliphate for himself, and is drawing towards himself as against the other fellow. They do not employ any connection for getting access to Allah nor proceed towards Him through any means. Both of them bear malice against the other. Shortly his veil over it will be uncovered. By Allah, if they achieve what they aim at, one of them will kill the other, and one will finish the other. The rebellious party has arisen” (sermon 148)

And there are many many more such ahadeeth severely condemning Zubair.

(salam)

(bismillah)

Here is what al-Saduq says about al-Zubayr:

Taken from al-Khisal:

قال مصنف هذا الكتاب رضي الله عنه: سمعت شيخنا محمد بن الحسن رضي الله عنه يروي أن الصادق عليه السلام قال: ما زال الزبير منا أهل البيت حتى أدرك فرخه فنهاه عن رأيه.
The compiler of this book (al-Saduq) said: I heard from our Shaykh Muhammad b. al-Hasan (ibn al-Walid) (ra) narrated from al-Saduq (as) that he said: 'al-Zubayr remained with us, the Ahl al-Bayt, until his seed matured (i.e. his son), then he (his son) changed/turned his opinion (against us)"

(salam)
Edited by Nader Zaveri

قال مصنف هذا الكتاب رضي الله عنه: سمعت شيخنا محمد بن الحسن رضي الله عنه يروي أن الصادق عليه السلام قال: ما زال الزبير منا أهل البيت حتى أدرك فرخه فنهاه عن رأيه.

The compiler of this book (al-Saduq) said: I heard from our Shaykh Muhammad b. al-Hasan (ibn al-Walid) (ra) narrated from al-Saduq (as) that he said: 'al-Zubayr remained with us, the Ahl al-Bayt, until his seed matured (i.e. his son), then he (his son) changed/turned his opinion (against us)"

What is the grading of this narration?

In Nehjul balagha there is clear condemning of Talha and Zubayr, including somer Sunni sources for their actions against Imam Ali for battle of Jamal.. The prophet has also mentioned that war against Ahl albayat as including Imam Ali is war against him, and this in return is war against Allah thus making difficult to swallow the position of both Talha and Zubair with praise.

Edited by skamran110

i can see that zubayr was heading towards the right track in the beginning, but lost the plot and went astray further down the line, particularly after the demise of the holy prophet s.a.w.w.

another similar riwayat is mentioned in sharh nahj al balagha of ibn abil-hadeed (a mutazili sunni), he said mentioning the paying of allegiance of abu bakr:

"The banu hashim gathered in the house of ali ibn abi talib, and with them was zubayr, and he used to count himself as a man of banu bashim, and ali used to say: zubayr continued to remain with us the ahlul bayt, until his children were born and turned him away from us."

this hadeeth is not in favour of zubayr, but tells us very clearly, in unifomity with all the other reports in the shia books, that zubayr died disobedient to the imam of the time.

(salam)

(bismillah)

Here is what al-Saduq says about al-Zubayr:

Taken from al-Khisal:

(salam)