Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Fatima NMA

Trying To Understand...

Rate this topic

salam everybody.

there is a question in my head that is really keeping me in a state of wondering and thinking most of the time recently..

i was wondering..does the soul/spirit grow old like the body does?maybe it seems a simple question to some of u but when i really think of it deeply and try to find out from myself,i can't find answers..or in fact,i find that answer that says NO soul doesn't grow old,but my logic can't accept it,coz if souls really never grow old ,this can cause great damage to the person when he gets old for many reasons... :donno:

personally,i feel like my soul/spirit is still the same as it was 5 years ago...but if it remains like this when i become 40,lets say,or even 30,it will cause me big troubles.. :unsure:

if islam says anything about this i'll be gratefull if u share it here...or science..

peace..

Salam,

That's a deep Question!

The Soul does get older, but, it doesn't get older in a sense that it ages and worrys like the body dose. It gets older as in more rational and wise kinda sense.

The soul, also called the mind (not the brain) grows with knowledge that you experience and learn through your life time. The great Imams (as) described the soul as "a sphere that surrounds the body".

With that said, I got three exercises that you can do to understand what your soul is like:

1. Close your eyes, try to visually remember a past happy memory. We're you able to see it? What vision did you use? How did you see that?

2. Close your eyes, using your imagination (your soul), imagine a car that's there in front of you, now imagine it like it's behind you. Can you still see it with your imagination when it's behind you? How did you see that?

3. Try to remember a time when you did something physical, like sports or such, are you able to see your self as from a third person prospective? How did you see that?

If you did those exercises correctly, then you have had used your soul directly. And while it's hard to understand, keep in mind that the soul is much more divine and intricate than the body. The rest of the explanations are better realized by you through the exercises than me trying to paint you an image of what your soul looks like and how it develops by age and time.

One of the great minds in Islam was Malik Al'ashtarr, he was a great friend to Imam Ali (as). Malik used to always talk about him self from the third person prospective. Such as "Malik did a bad thing today". He doesn't say "I". He think it's arrogant for someone to refrain to their selves as "I". He does that because he is always looking at him self from his soul's point of view, so he is very self aware of himself not to do anything wrong as much as he can. Imam Ali (as) said "thee seek refuge from the word I".

There are literally dozens of Hadeeths in the matter of the mind and the body. I suggest you Google it.

Peace.

the only thing that makes your soul or mind would be more appropriate would be what you learn. If you were 20 years old. Stayed in one room for 20 years without gaining anything then no. But if you're learning and doing things you will change. Now whether it's for the positive or for the negative depends on the person

thanks for the replies...

Salam,

That's a deep Question!

The Soul does get older, but, it doesn't get older in a sense that it ages and worrys like the body dose. It gets older as in more rational and wise kinda sense.

The soul, also called the mind (not the brain) grows with knowledge that you experience and learn through your life time. The great Imams (as) described the soul as "a sphere that surrounds the body".

Peace.

i enjoyed what u wrote,but i believe that the soul never grows old,it just develops to suit the body over it's growing process...

i think that  the 'soul' of a person is a combination of his 'mind' and 'emotions'(feelings).and since these two never grow old(they just normally develop in a way that  suits the body for the person not to look weird when he(his body) gets old..)then,i can say that souls never grow old.

if souls do grow old with the body,how do u explain an old woman falling in love with a young guy??what forces her to staying away from younger guys?(aside from old human restrictions of course),how do u explain those people who are in their mid 20's or 30's but still enjoy what they used to enjoy when they were 18?(and this is not common,it's rare..),i explain it this way....those people couldn't adapt with the change that happened to their 'bodies'or (with the expectations of the society from people in their "biological age") so they see no reason to change from within...

personally,i'm having hard time trying to please others by doing what "a girl in my age is supposed to do.."but my soul is really different,would love to behave differently,i mean what forces me now to show less (or more  controlled)emotional reactions when "excited,happy,angry,in love,hating somebody.." ?otherwise i'll be judged in a bad way..why are these doomed by social,human restrictions? i mean come on,why would we change the beautiful crazy behavior  and stuff that we used to enjoy just becuz we are few years older?nothing haram with being yourself..!

our souls are free,free of time restrictions,free of every "body" restriction,they never grow old,never die...i mean can't a human being have a mind of an old man,and a heart of a young boy??this way he will remain young and"wise" till death...wonderfull..

maybe it's something to do with societies,some societies just force human souls to 'grow old' with their bodies..but this never works,coz it's against soul's nature,this just weakens the soul and consumes all it's beautiful energy and abilities..

I think you can't differentiate between your personality and your soul. One may become very old but still have a childish personality and vice versa, but that doesn't mean soul, which is not made of matter can be measured by time, only materialistic objects can be known as having time and age.

Talking of a aged soul is like talking of a soul which is two feet, or 3 meters long!

i think the question is basicly wrong!! there is a hidden point in the question we should pay attention to. when we say something gets old we have considered that it has material body and this consideration takes place in our mind unconsciously due to our attachment to materialistic subjects. let me clarify my idea by giving an obvious example: have ever you thought about your memories and subjective pictures you have in your mind from your childhood? what would be your answer if someone asks you about those subjective things whether they also got old as your body got old by passing years?!! does an old picture which belongs to one of your friend change as your body changes ?! subjective things are the nearest ones to the world of souls and sprits. there is a concept of perfection instead of getting old and soul perfection has on deal with age and gender!!