Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ImAli

Bride, 8, Dies Of Injuries On Wedding Night In Yem

Rate this topic

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/yemen/bride-8-dies-of-injuries-on-wedding-night-in-yemen-1.1228706

Bride, 8, dies of injuries on wedding night in Yemen

Rawan dies hours after marrying a man more than five times her age........................

Manama: Kuwaitis have called for stringent action against a family in Yemen after their eight-year-old daughter died of internal injuries on the first night of her arranged marriage to a man more than five times her age.

Rawan died in city of Hardh in the Governorate of Hajjah in northwestern Yemen, Kuwaiti daily Al Watan reported on Sunday, quoting Yemeni media.

She is believed to have suffered a tear to her genitals and severe bleeding.

Yemeni activists urged the local police to arrest the “beastly groom” and the girl’s family and transfer them to a court where justice would be served and the case would be used to help put an end to the practice of marrying very young girls in the impoverished country, the daily said.

In Kuwait, bloggers offered their prayers for the “bride”, but lashed out at the “groom”, saying that he was a beast who should be severely punished.

Angry Man, a blogger, posted that the man was “an animal who deserved to be punished severely for his crime.”

“All those who supported such a crime should also be punished,” he said.

Under the moniker “Sad”, another blogger said that everybody should have realised that Rawan was too young to get married.

“Her family and her groom could have waited for some time before having this marriage,” Sad said. “It was not fair at all and the marriage should not have happened even if some tribes believe that it is a good custom.”

Bu Omar said that he was disturbed by the death report.

“Rawan’s family members are not humans. They do not deserve to have children,” he said.

So the family of the girl who married her off, is not to blame at all!!!

I don't know if the beastly groom would ever be extradited to Kuwait but for now the 'whatever' criminal justice system Kuwait has (LOL, these stupid Glfoos don't even have one), they should severely prosecute the 8 years old BRIDE family first, specially her father who allowed such a marriage to go forward.

Child marriages should be completely outlawed. It doesn't matter if Islam supports the idea of child marriages. It's still wrong. Children are not supposed to be married off at that tender age or used in that manner.

Just as the Muslim world finally moved on from the practice of slavery, similarly, we need to move on from the pre-modern concept of child brides. The concept of adolescence, and the importance of it, needs to be ingrained within our cultures. Children don't stop being children after puberty. Norms of 7th century aren't applicable today.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this news last week. If Muslims have already moved away from the disgusting practice of keeping slaves then why haven't they moved away from accepting child marriages.

Edited by Gypsy

This had to happen a child of 8 years old is not biologically fit for this. The age of puberty is a year more however age of maturity is still higher. The age difference does not make the two people as family at all. This is not an act of lawlessness but an act of ignorance. People have considered everything to happen as per their wish.

The thing that makes people content with their acts and sins is that they are not going to meet God atleast until their death. So in there lifetime they are free to behave their way. It's bad and worse is that the person is not yet caught and punished.

So the family of the girl who married her off, is not to blame at all!!!

I don't know if the beastly groom would ever be extradited to Kuwait but for now the 'whatever' criminal justice system Kuwait has (LOL, these stupid Glfoos don't even have one), they should severely prosecute the 8 years old BRIDE family first, specially her father who allowed such a marriage to go forward.

I think you can Islamically marry off a child so I don't know if it is something that can be Islamically prosecuted.  The husband has to be prosecuted though as he is the one who actually went forward and committed this crime. 

Even if all parties were ignorant of the possible outcome of subjecting a little girl to this, the husband would have been well aware that he was severely injuring his wife (screaming in pain, ripping tissues and massive bleeding are hard not to notice...) Aside from the evils of the brutality and her death, it is his responsibility to treat her in the best way and to protect her from harm. 

Edited by Maryaam

Sister Maryam kindly do not blame the religion as the age of namaz getting wajib on a girl is 9 years and none of the women in the House of Prophet got married at that age.

I am not blaming islam; please do not accuse me of doing so. Marriage contracts can be drawn up by the father before children are baligh.  And it is up for long debate as to the age of Aisha when her marriage contract was drawn up.  Marriage of very young girls was the norm in most parts of the world at that time. And age of consummation was to be when the girl reached puberty. Lots of little girls grew up in the homes of their in-laws. Parts of Yemen are living in a different cultural era especially when compared to the current norms of the west.

2384. The father and the paternal grandfather can contract a marriage on behalf of his minor son or daughter, or on behalf of an insane son or daughter, if they are baligh. And after the children have become baligh or the insane has become sane, he can endorse or abrogate it, if the contracted marriage involves any moral lapse or scandal. 

And if the marriage contract does not involve any moral lapse or scandal, but the na-baligh son or daughter calls off the marriage, then as an obligatory precaution, a Talaq or a renewed Nikah, whatever the case may be, must be recited.

There may have been (hopefully there was) and agreement with the husband as to not consummating the marriage till she was physically mature - but he went ahead anyway.  However, he obviously knew he was hurting her to the point that she was seriously injured and was the one most at fault for this horrible situation.  There is probably a lot of ignorance at play among all her supposed caregivers but there is no excuse for what he did. 

Edited by Maryaam

Disgusting, he would have married a 12 yr old girl reached puberty, the parents of girl are sick and also this bloody man, what he can benefit in 8 yr old girl rather than this !

Actually 12 is still quite small, menstruation is just a beginning......15 years old and up is usually a bit more on the safe side when it comes to marital relations and resulting pregnancies (and even those ages are a bit risky at times)......as for mental maturity, well that is an entirely different matter because much of the time a teenager is just a young girl stuck in the body of a woman.

Edited by ImAli

Child marriages should be completely outlawed. It doesn't matter if Islam supports the idea of child marriages. It's still wrong. Children are not supposed to be married off at that tender age or used in that manner.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this news last week. If Muslims have already moved away from the disgusting practice of keeping slaves then why haven't they moved away from accepting child marriages.

astaghfirullah

You should repent, sister..

Sister Maryam kindly do not blame the religion as the age of namaz getting wajib on a girl is 9 years and none of the women in the House of Prophet got married at that age.

Sayyida Fatima most probably got married when she was 9 year old.

And what is a child according to you? Under 18? Under 16? Under 14? Under 12? Please give objective reasons for your cut-off point.

And what is a child according to you? Under 18? Under 16? Under 14? Under 12? Please give objective reasons for your cut-off point.

Child marriage cuts off a child's innocence, their education and can put their lives at risk. The younger the girl is when she becomes pregnant, the greater the health risks for her and her baby, girls who give birth before age 15 are five times more likely to die in childbirth than women in their 20s. http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=32052&Cr=yemen&Cr1#.UjW_1hbT9FI  

Poverty is what drives child marriages - not a girl's supposed early maturity or her the need to prevent her from committing zina. Little girls need to develop and mature feeling safe, secure and functioning within the scope of their chronological age. The risk of physical and psychological damage is too high to ignore while mumbling about what has happened in the past. Lots of things have happened in the past and those things were not always good and should be left there. 

Children having babies is not a safe thing to do - and they do have babies. We hear about the deaths and shake our head - what we don't hear about are those that dont die but are left with the permanent damages to internal organs - creating bladder and fecal incontinence and lifelong painful, systemic infections resulting from the tearing of tissues and organs that are not fully developed.

Supporting a system that uses little girls to address poverty issues is bizarre.  Obviously, more needs to be done to support poverty stricken families with daughters so that they don't see them as a cash cow. Ignorance is cured by education. Education costs money. Support international services that provide this education and support for families.

Child marriage cuts off a child's innocence, their education and can put their lives at risk. The younger the girl is when she becomes pregnant, the greater the health risks for her and her baby, girls who give birth before age 15 are five times more likely to die in childbirth than women in their 20s. http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=32052&Cr=yemen&Cr1#.UjW_1hbT9FI  

Poverty is what drives child marriages - not a girl's supposed early maturity or her the need to prevent her from committing zina. Little girls need to develop and mature feeling safe, secure and functioning within the scope of their chronological age. The risk of physical and psychological damage is too high to ignore while mumbling about what has happened in the past. Lots of things have happened in the past and those things were not always good and should be left there. 

Children having babies is not a safe thing to do - and they do have babies. We hear about the deaths and shake our head - what we don't hear about are those that dont die but are left with the permanent damages to internal organs - creating bladder and fecal incontinence and lifelong painful, systemic infections resulting from the tearing of tissues and organs that are not fully developed.

Supporting a system that uses little girls to address poverty issues is bizarre.  Obviously, more needs to be done to support poverty stricken families with daughters so that they don't see them as a cash cow. Ignorance is cured by education. Education costs money. Support international services that provide this education and support for families.

Who says I'm supporting 'child marriages'? I just want to know how we define what a child is first.

astaghfirullah

You should repent, sister..

What should she repent for? I can't help but wonder how you would feel about being a slave or if you would marry off your precious little daughter straight away once menstruation begins.

Who says I'm supporting 'child marriages'? I just want to know how we define what a child is first.

Humans are considered to be children as they are still growing and developing. Physically, girls are said to be still growing and developing up to about 4 years past the onset of menses. Developmental emotional and psychological milestones are still being achieved throughout the teen years. The ability to make a knowledgeable decision about your marriage partner would depend on your emotional/psychological/intellectual ability and your life experiences.  There are many definitions as to when adulthood begins but for marriage I would not put it younger than being able to safely carry and give birth to a child.  When people lived till 28 or to the ripe old age of 35 - there was more of a rush to commit children to marriage. Little girls still died due to birth complications, but as long as the baby survived - life went on. The focus was on progeny not the quality of life or the potential death of the mother.

Edited by Maryaam

Humans are considered to be children as they are still growing and developing. Physically, girls are said to be still growing and developing up to about 4 years past the onset of menses. Developmental emotional and psychological milestones are still being achieved throughout the teen years. The ability to make a knowledgeable decision about your marriage partner would depend on your emotional/psychological/intellectual ability and your life experiences.  There are many definitions as to when adulthood begins but for marriage I would not put it younger than being able to safely carry and give birth to a child.  When people lived till 28 or to the ripe old age of 35 - there was more of a rush to commit children to marriage. Little girls still died due to birth complications, but as long as the baby survived - life went on. The focus was on progeny not the quality of life or the potential death of the mother.

That's it Maryaam, I have made up my mind. First thing tomorrow I am going to purchase a sword and a camel after I shut all electricity and modern conveniences from my home......then I will hit the slave market and pick up a few servants to take the place of my washing machine, vacuum cleaner, and etc. Soon after I will have a serious discussion with my husband about getting my 5 year old married off within the next year or two, first signs of adulthood I am shipping her to her 60 year old husband (of our choosing).

Prophet Mohammad was born in the year of Elephant which is about 53 years before Hijrat

Hazrat Ali [a] was born when Prophet was about 30 years which is about 23 years before Hijrat

Hazrat Fatima Zehra was born 5 years after Hazrat Ali's birth which is about 18 years before Hijrat

Their marriage took place in the first year after Hijrat

This makes her age of marriage as at least 18 years.

A variation of 1 or 2 years in her year of birth will bring the age to about 17 or 16 years.

Source: Story of the Holy Kaaba, written by S M R Shabbar, published by Muhammadi Trust of Great Britain and Ireland.

It is well accepted that Prophet Mohammad was born in year 570 AD

Wikipedia says Abu Bakr was born in year 573 AD

may be he was 3 years younger to Prophet

may be 56 years before Hijrat

Hazrat Khadija [a] died one year before Hijrat in year 1 Before Hijrat

Abu Bakr was 45 years old 12 years before Hijrat

45 years is the maximum age till when a man can bear child normally unless miracle takes place, thus Ayesha will be born atleast in the 46th year of Abu Bakr's life (45 years plus 9 months)

Thus Ayesha was born 11 years before Hijrat atleast.

Untill Hazrat Khadija's demise, Prophet was not allowed second wife.

Thus if Abu Bakr bore Ayesha in 46th year of his age only then it is possible that her marriage could happen at the age of atleast 11 years.

And if she was born before 46th year of Abu Bakr then her age will be more than 11.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Muhammad’s daughter Fatima was about 19 years old and there were many suitors, but whenever somebody asked Muhammad (SA) for Fatima’s hand in marriage he kept quiet. One day Ali (AS) came to the mosque and asked for Fatima’s hand in marriage. Muhammad replied "Yes, this has been ordained by Allah." He asked , "What property do you have," to which Ali replied, "not much." He had a sword, a horse and a protective shield. Muhammad said "sell the shield, because you will need the horse and the sword for the protection of Islam." Ali sold his shield for 200 Dirhams, brought the money to Muhammad (SA) who added another 200 Dirhams over it and asked his companions to buy household goods to set up home for the newly weds. He then read the Khutba and finalised the marriage of Ali (AS) and Fatima. This was in the First year of the Hijra. This was a simple Islamic marriage which should be copied by all muslims instead of spending lavish amounts of money and huge dowries to cripple the parents economically for ever."

Source: Story of the Holy Kaaba, written by S M R Shabbar, published by Muhammadi Trust of Great Britain and Ireland.

45 years is the maximum age till when a man can bear child normally unless miracle takes place, thus Ayesha will be born atleast in the 46th year of Abu Bakr's life (45 years plus 9 months)

Where on earth do you get this idea from? I think you might  be confusing the age at which which women usually stop being able to have children (mid-40's), and men, which has no limit. There are plenty of men still having children into their 70's and 80's, with no need for miracles or technology.

Regardless of this notion brother it has been placed just to make sense and it will be a non-sense that Allah has sent His Prophet and has sworn to his being the Best of Beings and he would not condemn child marriage at the age as low as 6 years or 9 years but do it himself.

This is not possible.

Either he has been wrongly regarded by Allah as best of all men or he has been regarded wrongly by some historians as the one who marries a child of 6 or 9 years old.

--------

Naturally Allah's judgment will be most upright and historians can either be ignorant or corrupt while reporting this issue.