Sign in to follow this  
khamosh21

Why Are Prayers (& Fasts) Shortened During Travel?

Salaams...

I understand why prayers and may have been shortened and the fasting not allowed in the past during travel in the past... however I don't understand in this day and age, why are we not given the choice?

For example I went on holidays to meet with inlaws... I did everything else, i went out to eat, i would spend hours talking to relatives... however the prayer is shortened? How is that ijtihad has not made this optional in today's age where travel has become so easy?

Same thing for fasting.. if I'm staying less than 10 days somewhere and it's not a burden on me, why can't I fast?

Salaams...

I understand why prayers and may have been shortened and the fasting not allowed in the past during travel in the past... however I don't understand in this day and age, why are we not given the choice?

For example I went on holidays to meet with inlaws... I did everything else, i went out to eat, i would spend hours talking to relatives... however the prayer is shortened? How is that ijtihad has not made this optional in today's age where travel has become so easy?

Same thing for fasting.. if I'm staying less than 10 days somewhere and it's not a burden on me, why can't I fast?

Technicalities. Ijtihad is based on past teachings in conjunction with Quran. The hadith we have today never talked about the advent of the ease of traveling (I don't think) and therefore we rely on previous practices by our Aimmah (AS) to derive this ruling.

Fiqh is filled with (seemingly) nonsensical technicalities. That's just how fiqh is I guess.

Edited by BuggyLemon

Sign in to follow this