In the Name of God بسم الله

Forcing Someone To Wear Hijab

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

From the Dictionnary:

"Compulsion" (noun): The action or state of forcing or being forced to do something

the verse says: there is compulsion in religion. (2:256)

but then again I think the person that is forcing the woman is doing it with a good intention but the verse is clear.

wasalam.

I think you mean

"There is NO compulsion in religion" (2:256)

Edited by islamicrose21

• Advanced Member

Off topic since someone already answered you but hijab isn't just a piece of cloth we put on our heads. 

Hijab starts from the inside and then works its way to the outside, which is why it cant' be forced. It's just not possible.

Whoever is doing the "forcing" is going about hijab all wrong. 

• Advanced Member

Off topic since someone already answered you but hijab isn't just a piece of cloth we put on our heads. 

Hijab starts from the inside and then works its way to the outside, which is why it cant' be forced. It's just not possible.

Whoever is doing the "forcing" is going about hijab all wrong. 

well said @lebsyeda87

• Advanced Member

A husband has the responsibility to enjoin proper Islamic behaviour on his family, and should do his utmost to ensure his wife wears hijab, since it is wajib. In terms of 'forcing' her, he can certainly prevent her from leaving the house without hijab, since that is in any case his Islamic right.

The husband can, but if he was a smart good muslim he'd teacher the reasons to why it is wajib.

This could actually make her not want to wear it ever...

Just my thoughts, as I know I choose to wear it with full knowledge to the reason why it was wajib.

I think mothers have to start teaching their daughters at a very young age the reason why woman wear it.

Sadly the other sis was right, now we complain to not want to wear it, but soon we will not be able to. :(

• Veteran Member

The husband can, but if he was a smart good muslim he'd teacher the reasons to why it is wajib.

Just my thoughts, as I know I choose to wear it with full knowledge to the reason why it was wajib.

I think mothers have to start teaching their daughters at a very young age the reason why woman wear it.

Sadly the other sis was right, now we complain to not want to wear it, but soon we will not be able to. :(

Well, obviously I'm assuming the husband would have started by telling his wife why it's wajib. However, if this doesn't work, then I am just pointing out that he does have other means at his disposal. There is always divorce as well in extreme cases.

People need to understand that not wearing hijab is not simply a matter of personal piety. By not wearing it, and assuming the woman is aware of the evidence for it being wajib, she is basically openly disobeying the order of Allah (swt) and His Prophet (pbuh). It's one thing to commit major sins in private, and another to do it in public. At least by confining his wife to the house, the husband would be preventing her from committing a sin (and a public one at that).

I wonder if people think a husband should try to force his wife to not drink alcohol in public, or if he should simply limit himself to reminding her that its haram once in a while?

agreed, what happens mostly is that when they get to their teens they're like "here, put this on".

if one from young age is not taught the reasons of hijab and how powerful it is, it will lead to problems with herself, family and husband later on.

I think we ourselves need to study the concept of how powerful and amazing the veil is.it is obligatory to put it on one  has turned 9, I feel sorry for non veiled women who wait until they turn 60.

the quran clearly states the abaya and hijab are waajb, when we realize this we have to wear it. whether you are ready or not.

I know it sounds like im forcing it but on the contrary I find it really hard to neglect what god says and be like well you know what, im going to wait until my beauty fades..

a women has to wear the veil and has to listen to her husband.. so what she in neglecting both of these now?

if a women is not going to wear the veil, then at least let her study it. we cover our outer self to express our inner self and we really need to spread the message of this power.

• Advanced Member

Personally as my daughter is only 4 I will wait for her until she is about to enter into school in gr 1 and explain deeply the reasons to why (as she will be able to reason to why a little at the age of 6) and tell her she should wear it at school to start with. As i think earlier introducing the better as in the west she may face at 9 all of a sudden wearing the hijab she will have to explain why, therefor maybe even having issues socially because others will not understand the all of a sudden change.

She already asks to put it on and I ALWAYS allow her to, she even says she wants to like mommy does.

Personally as my daughter is only 4 I will wait for her until she is about to enter into school in gr 1 and explain deeply the reasons to why (as she will be able to reason to why a little at the age of 6) and tell her she should wear it at school to start with. As i think earlier introducing the better as in the west she may face at 9 all of a sudden wearing the hijab she will have to explain why, therefor maybe even having issues socially because others will not understand the all of a sudden change.

She already asks to put it on and I ALWAYS allow her to, she even says she wants to like mommy does.

alhmdula, nice effort !!!, even after she puts it on always remind her of the power of it never stop :)

may Allah swt bless her and her mother :)

Shakir

Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great. (4:34)

it is the duty of the husband /father to protect his wives/daughters against harm and sin , as Br HH said , there are many methods to enforce this and should be done .

The man is the first and last line of defence for the women under his household and he cannot neglect this as he will be questioned about such matters by :Allah swt on :Qiyamat.

Shakir

Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great. (4:34)

it is the duty of the husband /father to protect his wives/daughters against harm and sin , as Br HH said , there are many methods to enforce this and should be done .

The man is the first and last line of defence for the women under his household and he cannot neglect this as he will be questioned about such matters by :Allah swt on :Qiyamat.

agreed, and he should do it in a nice and humble way, the muslim way and the way of the holy prophet saw. thus the women should be obedient to her husband, and this is proven through various narrations and the prophet saw and the imams have made it very clear that a wife should and has to be obedient to her husband.

agreed, and he should do it in a nice and humble way, the muslim way and the way of the holy prophet saw. thus the women should be obedient to her husband, and this is proven through various narrations and the prophet saw and the imams have made it very clear that a wife should and has to be obedient to her husband.

these days niceness and humbleness don't cut it , as most men especially in the west have their hands tied and mouths gaged.

It is war when it comes to such things , and soon the war will be lost .

Australia will be the first to ban the :Hijab , it will lead the way for the rest of the world to follow .

It has started already , just a few days ago during the election campaign, the politicians talked of Burqa ban , and not long ago illegal laws were passed  to give power to police to remove :Hijab for ID purposes .All well calculated processes to ban it totally soon.

these days niceness and humbleness don't cut it , as most men especially in the west have their hands tied and mouths gaged.

It is war when it comes to such things , and soon the war will be lost .

Australia will be the first to ban the :Hijab , it will lead the way for the rest of the world to follow .

It has started already , just a few days ago during the election campaign, the politicians talked of Burqa ban , and not long ago illegal laws were passed  to give power to police to remove :Hijab for ID purposes .All well calculated processes to ban it totally soon.

1: why would a man marry a non-hijab women anyway?  2: it is the way of a man if he  has studied the life of the prophet and imams.

and I never heard of the Australia thing?  Australians in general are kind people and they respect the veil. maybe not the niqab but head-covering I doubt they have anything against it.

And if what you are saying is true then no problem we are ready to fight but I highly highly doubt it.

wasalam :)

Edited by PenOfTruth

1: why would a man marry a non-hijab women anyway?  2: it is the way of a man if he  has studied the life of the prophet and imams.

and I never heard of the Australia thing?  Australians in general are kind people and they respect the veil. maybe not the niqab but head-covering I doubt they have anything against it.

And if what you are saying is true then no problem we are ready to fight but I highly highly doubt it.

wasalam :)

1. no idea   2. ways other than the ways of the :Prophet (as) and the :Imams (as) are useless.

Kind people, really ?Those who slaughtered 161 tribes of beautiful humans that lived in harmony with nature  for 50,000 years , kind ?

You have a funny definition of kindness.

And you are not aware of such things ?

Maybe too many meat pies and sausage rolls and a "she'll be right mate ..." leaves one in ignorance.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/abbott-fires-up-burqa-debate-20130831-2sxg9.html

ready to fight , how ?
throw pavlova at the police ??
How much can a koala bare ?

WS
Edited by :Sami II

good answer brother :)

2- exactly and they used the nicest and humblest ways.

- I meant the Australians I live with, associate with and so on.

"Those who slaughtered 161 tribes of beautiful humans that lived in harmony with nature  for 50,000 years , kind ?"

-never heard of it...

and if it will happen, something has to be done- what do you think on what our actions should be?

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Its pointless. It loses its meaning. Often those who are forced will ignore the aklaaq part and will not even wear it properly. Whats the point if the girl doesnt have the right intention?

Look at iran, people are forced to wear it. They hardly do. It ruins the beauty of it.

But in some cases it is the best thing to do till the person straightens up.

• Moderators

Teach children, girls and boys both, that it makes a girl look like a princess and a woman look like a queen. Actually, young kids seem to find hijab beautiful and regal until they are told not to.

Make wearing it a grown up thing for girls to do, something special not a challenge or chore.

As for forcing hijab, a parent can force their daughter and a husband can force his wife, but it probably isn't wise to do so in most cases. The saddest thing I've heard is a Muslim husband or parent discouraging their wife or daughter from wearing hijab, and this is all too common.

The saddest thing I've heard is a Muslim husband or parent discouraging their wife or daughter from wearing hijab, and this is all too common.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Discouraging? Someone that I know personally forces his wife to not wear it and take it off even though she has a strong longing towards the deen of Allah... It will be on him on the day of judgement...

(wasalam)

Edited by BuggyLemon

• Moderators

^I have a friend who wasn't allowed by her Muslim parents to wear hijab, because they feared for her safety. She started wearing it when she went to university, and her parents accept it now. Her mother will even now occasionally wear a bandanna when she goes out with her daughter.

May Allah send guidance to the ignorant, courage to the fearful, and as for the oppressor who is motivated by greed or lust, may the angels curse him until he is set right.

My parents were worried to let me wear it. They said i should give it a few years but i wore it anyway.

I can understand why they said what they did. But they knew they couldn't actually stop me.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Oof. What a rebel. We need more strong kids like you in our communities... Ones who aren't obsessed with makeup and boys and don't care what others say when it comes to obeying Allah...

Masha'Allah.

(wasalam)

Edited by BuggyLemon

• Forum Administrators

It is a social dress, and if society agrees to enforce it, they should.  Or if someone's guardian enforces for it for a good and just reason.  Whether someone "understands" or "apprciates" it is irrelevant and is a completely separate issue.  That's preferable, but not mandatory. 

My parents forced healthy food on me.  They also forced me to have manners.  They also forced curfews on me.  Did I "appreciate" these at the time?  Should I not have received this enforcement because I wasn't "ready" to understand its beauty?  No, I was a clueless person, and an animal that needed to be tamed.  It was for my own good.

Laws in society, theoretically work the same way. 

(bismillah)

(salam)

In the West, nudity is not allowed. We are forced to maintain a certain level of clothing, although minimal, because of man-made laws that a certain state enforces which it thinks will foster a healthy society...

Who are they, then, to criticize other countries if the other countries enforce laws (in their view, also man-made) which state that more clothing than just underwear is required, in their 'man-made' opinion, to foster a healthy society?

The 'freedom of speech' facade is blindingly hypocritical. It should be called 'conform to our moral worldview and do what we say is right for your country or we put economic sanctions on you and destroy your nation'...

(wasalam)

Edited by BuggyLemon

• Advanced Member

This might not be helpful, but a good friend of mine is new to Islam.  Her husband is Saudi (very strict) and she told me that if she stopped wearing hijab he would probably divorce her.  She says she feels so much pressure that is makes her hate the hijab and not want to wear it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Discouraging? Someone that I know personally forces his wife to not wear it and take it off even though she has a strong longing towards the deen of Allah... It will be on him on the day of judgement...

(wasalam)

It becomes wajib on her to file for divorce in such a case.

Any situation that pins husband vs Allah, parents vs Allah or children vs Allah must lead to a decision that pleases Allah and no one else. That's our true test.