Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Dreaming And Multiplicity Of A Being

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent the Merciful,

Dear brothers and sisters I was just thinking about an issue that was quite interesting to me and I would appreciate some comments from you. It is often said that we cannot seek intercession from Rasool Allah (SAW) in this life because He (SAW) is only one person and surely one person cannot simultaneously listen to and "communicate" with thousands, millions, or potentially billions of people at a given point in time. While this seems reasonable enough I was thinking about dreams of Rasool Allah (SAW). To be more specific, if it is true that Rasool Allah (SAW) can only communicate to one person at any given point in time (for purposes of intercession) does this entail that only one person in the entire Umma can dream of Rasool Allah (SAW) at any given point in time.

I think it is reasonable to assume that dreaming about Rasool Allah (SAW) is potentially a form of communication i.e. one could be talking with Him (SAW), simply listening to Him (SAW) or could even have non-verbal communication with Him (SAW), such as seeing Him (SAW) in a state of grief or happiness. So if it is possible for more than one person to be dreaming about Rasool Allah (SAW) at any given point in time do you guys think this is weak speculative proof for the possibility of intercession on behalf of more than one person?

Peace be upon you all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Wa salam,

I would say that seeing someone in a dream doesnt mean they are influencing it. It could be, but it could also be that we are creating them in our minds, or that Allah is putting an impression of them in our minds as a vehicle for guidence. So Allah could give us a dream that has a representation of a person as a concept to us and create symbolism and scenario in that dream that would give us a guidence as individuals. For a person who had no knowledge of Islam, the guidence would come from a person/symbol they would understand.

• Veteran Member

Are you discussing this subjects with some sunnis?

Regarding dreams:

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 87, Number 123

Narrated by Anas

The Prophet said, "Whoever has seen me in a dream, then no doubt, he has seen me, for Satan cannot imitate my shape."

This may mean that the Prophet actually appears in the dream and thus he is communicating with the dreamer, or does it mean that it is only an image of him in the dream which has been created by Allah

However we don't even need to speak about dreams to prove that according to Islam some individuals can communicate with more than more person at a time (look at the examples below). In reality they may not be communicating with more than one person in an instance of time but working extremely quickly (i.e. dealing with many people one after another), or even time-slicing (look it up if you need to). Dreams are a weak way to prove multitasking in communication since we wouldn't know if he appears in people's dreams often.

Sending salaams:

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has angels who go around on earth, conveying to me the salaam of my ummah.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 1282; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1664. 

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not take your houses as graves and do not take my grave as a place of festivity (which you visit repeatedly). Send blessings upon me for your greeting will reach me no matter where you are.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2042; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7226. 

From a wahabi website: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/69807

Now remember, is it right for him not to respond to greetings? Also consider the job of the single angel of death.
Edited by Muhammed Ali

• 2 weeks later...

i think from memory it was Rumi where he describes one station a person can achieve(and surely the Prophet was on a much higher scale and closest to God then anybody else so he must have also acquired this station)where he saw himself connected with every being and every of Allah's creation

even if you read from Kafi there is a hadith in which somebody comes to one of the Imams and asks the Imam about the verse in the Quran where it says and i paraphrase from memroy that "Alah knows all of your actions and deeds and it is also shown to the Prophet" or something along those lines i dont remember verbatim, but the point was that the Imam when he was asked about this verse he answered the questioner that he is always conscious and sees the actions of all of the creatures(i dont remember if it was specifically just the followers of the time of the Imam or ever human of the time of the Imam) nevertheless he showed this question what he sees, and the questioner said he was connected to all of the creatures that the Imam was conscious off

but my point being is that , if the Imams where able to in their living state and not just the imams but pious people of God , connect with all the inhabitants and be conscious of thier actions simultaneously, then i am certain teh Prophet still retianed this state and is also able to connect simultaneously with al the creatures and even communicate with them individualy

Edited by yukapuka2