Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Verse 4:59 - Ulil Amr.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Brother just the truth, like i said before, lets stick to the subject and then we will discuss other matters. Don't you worry. This part of the Ulul Amre verse, "And if you disagree on anything", brother you said "one can disagree with the Ulul Amre on anything", now you are saying that, the disagreement is only limited to the Quran and the Sunnah. Take a look at your previous posts. Why the sudden change??? What's with the u turn???

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Salam alaykum,   Just the truth, A word of advice: if you want to have a 'discussion' about something, maintain at least the basic level of akhlaq. I've been looking through this thread and in near en

رقم الحديث: 18485 (حديث مرفوع) حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ يَحْيَى الصُّوفِيُّ ، قَالَ : ثنا الْحَسَنُ بْنُ الْحُسَيْنِ الأَنْصَارِيُّ ، قَالَ : ثنا مُعَاذُ بْنُ مُسْلِمٍ بَيَّاعُ الْهَرَوِيِّ ، عَنْ عَ

They are all still of the opinion that the Ahlul Bayt [as] are the holders of divine authority. That's what is agreed upon.

Posted Images

• Advanced Member

Assalamu alaykum

AMEEN AND ISLAM HISTORY

As promised I am below going to give my detailed answer. Inshallah.

Brothers we need to understand that we both can't be right so we need to get to the bottom of this blessed verse. Inshallah.

Now the main argument that brother AMEEN was using, was the word obey. Now this word if we look at it from one angle then indeed it means obedience unconditionally.

Now if we turn the tables we will see that Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì has also said we should obey our parents so what's going on??

When Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì says obey your parents are their any conditions??

Yes there are. We are only to obey our parents until they tell us to do something against sharia. So you see not every time Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì says obey does it mean obey and that's it no questions asked. I will use the quran to prove my example;

Surah 29:8

And We have enjoined upon man goodness to parents. But if they endeavor to make you associate with Me that of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them. To Me is your return, and I will inform you about what you used to do.

So here Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì says do not obey them (parents) so if he's saying do not obey them then that can only mean that we must have been obeying them.

So you see my brothers the word obey does not always mean that you must always unconditionally obe, except for Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and his messenger (pbuh ) as we see;

Surah 3:32

Say, "Obey Allah and the Messenger." But if they turn away - then indeed, Allah does not like the disbelievers.

Now here we are told but if they turn away then indeed Allah does not like the disbelievers.

So this verse tells us that disobeying Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and his messenger (pbuh) is unconditional and one cannot call himself a believer until he obeys Allah (swt)and his messenger (pbuh).

So now we have confirmed the unconditional obedience to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and his messenger (pbuh ) we now can move to the ulil amr.

Surah 4:59

Sahih International

O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And if you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is the best [way] and best in result.

Right so at the start of the verse we are told obey Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì obey messenger (pbuh) and ulil amr.

So here we are told obey ulil amr but why??

Is he an appointed??

Is he infalliable??

Lets read on.

BROTHER JUST THE TRUTH, TAKE A LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE SAID BELOW.

And if you disagree over anything

So we see if we disagree over anything

BROTHER JUST THE TRUTH, TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE SAID ABOVE.

We read.....

refer it to Allah and the Messenger

So if you had an infallible imam "amongst you" then say you didn't agree with one of your friends regarding the number of prayers are in a day.

The first thing you would do is go to the ulil amr because you are told to obey him.

So now we're told that "obey ulil amr (according to shia who is appointed and infallible) so if obedience to ulil amr is unconditional ( as shia say) then we can't disagree with him.

So now we have to work out why Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì has said "if you differ refer to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and messenger ( pbuh) if the ulil amr is appointed and infallible and his obedience Is unconditional then surely we wouldn't be differing after the answer given by the ulil amr, after all the ulil amr (according to shia) is an appointed infallible who's purpose to be there is to guide the ummah.

There can only be one answer and that is the differing continued and reached a new level of differing with the ulil amr (don't forget I started this with disagreement between two friends).

So if the ulil amr had a right decision and unconditional obedience then under no circumstances would Allah ( swt) cut through the ulil amr and say refer to Allah ( swt) and messenger ( pbuh).

Why would Allah ( swt) appoint an infallible who's purpose is to be referred to then cut straight through him and say refer to Allah ( swt) and messenger (pbuh)?? What would be the beauty behind appointing an (ulil amr) if we still have to refer everything to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and messenger ( pbuh). (Quran and hadith).

So it's pretty obvious now that these two friends do not agree with the answer given to them by the ulil amr so Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì has given them a way out.... Refer to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and messenger (pbuh).

So since Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì has given them two friends the way out of refer to Allah ( swt) and messenger ( pbuh) where does this leave the authority of the appointed infallible imam?? He's just been put to one side!! So what's the point of him being appointed??

Brother just the truth, take a look at your post. I have pointed it out in capital letters. Have a look.

Brother just the truth, take a look at your post. I have pointed it out in capital letters. Have a look.

I think One Should Pin Point his Points,  So we don't go around In Circulars. there is no use in a Dialogue which Where one changes his Point of views

as they are Refuted, never the less, we will take them time to Answer Our Brother Inshalla. 

(salam)

Brothers I only said what the verse says; "if you differ in anything" this of course means religious differences why would it mean anything else.

Anyway I will go into detail in my answer which will be with you very shortly

Inshallah

Assalamu alaykum

In a Another Verse it says They must Refer to the prophet and Uli al amr on Good and Bad Issues, Thus Not everything, and to understand how to refer to the Quran, one must know the tafsir, and you must  know who are the people who are able to Interpret the Quran with true knowledge, non other than those of the Deeply rooted in knowledge, and Who are they? they are mentioned in the Ahadith as the Ahlulbayt, Why do you  think the prophet said, I have left into you two things? Hold on to them and you will never go astray, the book of Allah and my Ahlulbayt (s) so they are much of Importance as the Quran. Then you try to Counter this and say they are everyone from the line of Muhammad, so here we ask in the world today we have people Who are from the line of the prophet, but they commit sins, do we hold on to them? this is Illogical Dear brother.    

(salam)

Comparing angels with mankind? Your point is invalid.

Please Read the page before this to Understand what Justthetruth was Pointing out, since he stated that "Nothing" is infallible but Allah.

So I gave him that answer. You Misread and took it out of context, and no I am not comparing it. 

(salam) 

• Advanced Member

Please Read the page before this to Understand what Justthetruth was Pointing out, since he stated that "Nothing" is infallible but Allah.

So I gave him that answer. You Misread and took it out of context, and no I am not comparing it. 

(salam)

Understood. But the implication was made and a human status (imam)  was compared in an example to the Angel's infallibility making the answer invalid.

About 4.59 : If Ali is the clear authority in that verse, I don't see why "among you" would be attached to it. My interpretation would be, obey the(several)authority among you(in several areas).

Understood. But the implication was made and a human status (imam)  was compared in an example to the Angel's infallibility making the answer invalid.

About 4.59 : If Ali is the clear authority in that verse, I don't see why "among you" would be attached to it. My interpretation would be, obey the(several)authority among you(in several areas).

No, Dear friend, because you Ignored the previous page, thus what your claim is false. Please Do not deny my stance, it was in the terms of infallibility, and not a comparison.  your Interpretation of the verse is also wrong and We have explained this from the previous page. If Your saying it is In "Several places", your Either Saying Different "nations", Which is Invalid since its the verse is Mentioned to the Whole nations,

And By saying in the means of Several places, your stance is still weak, since the main argument is about the Identities of Uli Al Amr. And your claim is not Possible because it fails to come with Arabic Literature. Since the we have to obey the prophet (pbuh) and Allah, this is mentioned for the Islamic Ummah.

(salam)

Edited by TheIslamHistory
  • Advanced Member

28wi3ww.png

No, I didn't mean different nations. This is how I see it. The big circle represents the prophets map before he died and he is the highest authority( after Allah of course). The smaller circles represent settlements/villages/counties, they aren't accurate i'm just making my point. Every settlement had an overseer I assume? Each of them is the Uli al Amr of his location and has to be obeyed.

No, I didn't mean different nations. This is how I see it. The big circle represents the prophets map before he died and he is the highest authority( after Allah of course). The smaller circles represent settlements/villages/counties, they aren't accurate i'm just making my point. Every settlement had an overseer I assume? Each of them is the Uli al Amr of his location and has to be obeyed.

This is the problem We get for people no read the start of the post okay my dear Friend So now I want you to give the following:

(1) According those Four places you pointed out, please Reveal to us their Identities.

(2) How were they Appointed?

You seem to not have picked up clearly what I Said, If the verse is stating "places" or Divided Among the nation the Text Would have nee Differently, and is Referring to a single ( nation as a Whole ). 

Please Identify Uli al Amr at the time of the prophet (s),

And please give me the number of Villages/ Countries that your referring to.

(salam)    

• Advanced Member

Brothers I only said what the verse says; "if you differ in anything" this of course means religious differences why would it mean anything else.

Anyway I will go into detail in my answer which will be with you very shortly

Inshallah

Assalamu alaykum

Salaam brother. Ok, if you differ, with the Ulul Amre, on anything then, of course this means religious differences, why would it mean anything else. Then why didn't Allah clearly mention this??? Why didn't Allah say "And if you differ with the Ulul Amre on religious grounds", then this is what I expect you to do. Allah said " If you differ" Allah didn't say "If you differ with the Ulul Amre". Then Allah said "on anything" Allah didn't say "on religious matters" Allah said "on anything". Now if you differ with the Ulul Amre, on non religious matters then, what do you exactly do??? What would Allah expect you to do here, according to the Ahle Sunnah???

• Advanced Member

Salaamo-Alaikum brothers and sisters. A dictator is someone who is in authority and who uses means of violence and threatening behaviour, who uses force, to have their demands met. Now did Hazrath Abu Bakar (ra) and his admin use violence and threatening behaviour, did he use force, against the Ahlul Baith and certain companions of the Prophet (pbuh), so they would accept the decision made in Sakeefa and to get bayth (acceptance) from them as Khalifaa???

Now Hazrath Abu Bakar (ra) sent a batch of army men to wage war, on certain members of the community and companions of the Prophet (pbuh) among them, since they wouldn't comply with the new rules put down by the first Khalif, to hand over the Zakah money??? If one refuses to hand over Zakah money or refuses to give Zakah, does this allow the first Khalif or anyone, to use violence and threatening behaviour, to use force against that individual/s or party???

These are just a few examples and this is exactly how and where, dictatorship came to birth and started within the Muslim world!

A terrorist is someone who is not in authority and who uses means of violence and threatening behaviour, who uses force to have their demands met. This is exactly what Hazrath Aisha (ra) did along with Talah and Zubair, who were also the companions of the Prophet (pbuh), in the face of the BATTLE OF JAMAL! And also this is exactly what Ameer Muavia did, in the face of the WAR OF SAFEEN!

These are just a few examples and this is exactly how and where, terrorism came to birth and started within the Muslim world!

Edited by Ameen
  • Advanced Member

So if the ulil amr has the same status as the prophet ( pbuh) (according to shia belief) then why shouldn't we refer to ulil amr also???

Isn't the whole point of having an appointed infalliable so we can refer to them???

You said "the difference with the Ulul Amre is only or just on religious matters", well this means one has to obey the Ulul Amre and refer to the Ulul Amre, on all non religious matters. Right???

• Advanced Member

Bro you've misunderstood the verse. It says:

O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And if you disagree over ANYTHING, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is the best [way] and best in result.

So now this anything could be literally anything like the verse says.

So now What I've been asking since the start is if imams are the divine authority and deen has been inherited to them like shia believe. Then why would Allah say refer to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and messenger (pbuh) if the imams were to be this new authority of religion?? Don't forget shia believe obedience to ulil amr is unconditional.

It's like shia chat saying to you that AMEEN you're the new authority now and obedience to you is unconditional as you are our representative here and then you in turn say to me just the truth you're the new authority over the people and obedience to you is unconditional like it is to me but if they differ with you refer them back to shia chat and me (AMEEN).

Now don't forget brother shia say obedience to ulil amr is unconditional like it his to prophet (pbuh) but why then do we not have to refer the messenger but need to refer ali(a.s)??

Don't forget brother it says ANYTHING so if we differ with ali regarding ANYTHING we have to refer it back to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and messenger (pbuh)?? What kind of authority does that leave ali ( a.s)?? If ANYTHING and everything has to be referred back to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and messenger (pbuh)??

...because realistically bro imagine I'm the appointed one here and everybody disagrees with me regarding anything and all I say is go back to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and messenger(pbuh) then anybody with half a brain cells going to turn around and say hold up, if all you're doing is referring us to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and messenger (pbuh) then why can't we do that??? What's so special about you all you're doing is referring us. I can refer people to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and his messenger (pbuh ) aswell.

Take a look at your own words brother, take a look at what you have said.

You said:

"Don't forget brother it says ANYTHING, so if we differ with Ali (as) regarding ANYTHING".

And you further on said:

"What kind of authority does that leave Ali (as), if ANYTHING and EVERYTHING has to be referred back to Allah and his Messenger (pbuh)".

Now brother you have changed your stance from ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to just RELIGIOUS MATTERS.

What's going on???

Also brother AMEEN could you please tell me how you explain verse 4:59

Jazakallah

Assalamu alaykum

The same way as I explained it I presume.

if your Goal is to refute everything I say, without taking a Deep analysis

I would think you are wasting your time. 

Do you think we are Divided in our Thoughts?

(salam)

The same way as I explained it I presume.

if your Goal is to refute everything I say, without taking a Deep analysis

I would think you are wasting your time.

Do you think we are Divided in our Thoughts?

(salam)

Yes you are divided in your thoughts. AMEEN said in earlier posts that the verse says if you differ in ANYTHING IN THIS and you like I said and like it says in the verse said IN ANYTHING.

Don't worry I'm writing an answer with a deep analysis and with proof.

Edited by Just the truth

Yes you are divided in your thoughts. AMEEN said in earlier posts that the verse says if you differ in ANYTHING IN THIS and you like I said and like it says in the verse said IN ANYTHING.

Don't worry I'm writing an answer with a deep analysis and with proof.

I said Exactly the same? 

So no we are not Divided as you have four schools of thought, Thus we only have one, the school of Ahlulbayt (as).

Will wait.

I Will not be Surprised if your Questions are Repeated.

I will merely repost my previous Answer.

(salam)

I said Exactly the same?

So no we are not Divided as you have four schools of thought, Thus we only have one, the school of Ahlulbayt (as).

Will wait.

I Will not be Surprised if your Questions are Repeated.

I will merely repost my previous Answer.

(salam)

YOU SAID

I said Exactly the same?

MY ANSWER

Are you sure it says ANYTHING IN THIS and not IN ANYTHING. Please re read my previous answer properly.

YOU SAID

So no we are not Divided as you have four schools of thought, Thus we only have one, the school of Ahlulbayt .

MY ANSWER

This has nothing to do with this discussion as all us four schools of thought do not differ as to who our ulil amr are

Will reply to tonight.

Inshallah

Assalmu alaykum

Edited by Just the truth

YOU SAID

I said Exactly the same?

MY ANSWER

Are you sure it says ANYTHING IN THIS and not IN ANYTHING. Please re read my previous answer properly.

YOU SAID

So no we are not Divided as you have four schools of thought, Thus we only have one, the school of Ahlulbayt .

MY ANSWER

This has nothing to do with this discussion as all us four schools of thought do not differ as to who our ulil amr are

Will reply to tonight.

Inshallah

Assalmu alaykum

(1) I said in the means Of uli al amr " We Differ in anything", but does not mean do not obey.

(2) The four school of though on the Sunnah, differ in a variety of Jurisprudence.

(3) Inshalla.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

Excuse the interruption

This is the problem We get for people no read the start of the post okay my dear Friend So now I want you to give the following:

(1) According those Four places you pointed out, please Reveal to us their Identities.
(2) How were they Appointed?

You seem to not have picked up clearly what I Said, If the verse is stating "places" or Divided Among the nation the Text Would have nee Differently, and is Referring to a single ( nation as a Whole ).

Please Identify Uli al Amr at the time of the prophet (s),
And please give me the number of Villages/ Countries that your referring to.

(salam)

1) Like I said, the circles (and their number) are random and inaccurate. It could have been 1 or 1000. They represent any city controlled by the muslims at the time of the Prophet, to name a few: Mecca, Medina, Ta'if. Any chief/governor/overseer of his city is the Uli ul amr of it.

2) By the prophet or by the people, this point does not matter to me unless injustice is involved.

God is addressing them/us as a whole nation on terms of Islam, because whatever city you entered they practiced the same islamic laws. "Among you" may indicate a division(the cities and it's chiefs) in the nation.

If Ali was the clear Uli ul Amr, it would have been the perfect time to mention him by name(since there is no other) and leave out 'among you'.

Excuse the interruption

1) Like I said, the circles (and their number) are random and inaccurate. It could have been 1 or 1000. They represent any city controlled by the muslims at the time of the Prophet, to name a few: Mecca, Medina, Ta'if. Any chief/governor/overseer of his city is the Uli ul amr of it.

2) By the prophet or by the people, this point does not matter to me unless injustice is involved.

God is addressing them/us as a whole nation on terms of Islam, because whatever city you entered they practiced the same islamic laws. "Among you" may indicate a division(the cities and it's chiefs) in the nation.

If Ali was the clear Uli ul Amr, it would have been the perfect time to mention him by name(since there is no other) and leave out 'among you'.

1) Invalid because They Were those in control and who were oppressive at the time: such as Yazid, Muwiayh, and more ( a hole list )

So do we obey the oppressors? This make no sense, How can Allah tell you to obey an oppressor?

2) Sorry but Abu bakr and Umar and uthman are chosen by Shura, and Muwiiyah was appointed by Umar.

3) Who said they were had to be mentioned by name? When the prophet (pbuh) clearly told us who they are.

(salam)

• Moderators

Salam to all, 

If I could make a request here. This is an important thread and is now a discussion between two parties, Br. The Islam History and Br. Just the Truth. I will kindly ask that all others stop posting on this thread until Br. Just the Truth has made his reply to Br. The Islam History regarding Ul Al Amr, .which he outlined in posts #270 and #271

Edited by Abu Hadi

(1) I said in the means Of uli al amr " We Differ in anything", but does not mean do not obey.

(2) The four school of though on the Sunnah, differ in a variety of Jurisprudence.

(3) Inshalla.

(salam)

Assalamu alaykum

1. You missed the point. AMEEN said if we differ ANYTHING IN THIS when it clearly says IN ANYTHING.

2. Nothing to do with the topic at hand

3. Inshallah.

Salams

Assalamu alaykum

1. You missed the point. AMEEN said if we differ ANYTHING IN THIS when it clearly says IN ANYTHING.

2. Nothing to do with the topic at hand

3. Inshallah.

Salams

(1) Yes I agree like the Quran says: "anything", I don't see your problem? it still says Obey.

(2) Inshalla.

(salam)

Salam to all, 

If I could make a request here. This is an important thread and is now a discussion between two parties, Br. The Islam History and Br. Just the Truth. I will kindly ask that all others stop posting on this thread until Br. Just the Truth has made his reply to Br. The Islam History regarding Ul Al Amr, .which he outlined in posts #270 and #271

Thank you Abu Hadi, Well Appreciated. May Allah Reward you.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

28wi3ww.png

I think you have valid point and have misunderstanding as well.

During prophet life, he had appointed a number of men for different tasks. Those who were appointed by prophet were authority among Muslims (in their specific tasks) and it was obligatory on Muslims to follow them and obey them because their authority was extension of the prophet authority. In this sense, your nice illustration is correct.

How about following a man who has no authority from the prophet?

Let me bring a non controversial example. Will you as a man pray behind a very pious woman in Salat (JAMA'AH, congregation?) and why?

Most will not pray behind a woman because it is not in hadith and because the hadiths says otherwise. The authority of the prophet through his hadiths was not given to women to lead men in prayers.

The issue of (amongst you) can be divided to a number of issues:

1-Religious authority after prophet (the one that will REPLACE prophet in sense that it will be equal or a natural extension to it) > refer to hadith athaqalyin discissions.

2-Political authority after prophet that should establish the Islamic Government (Khilafah- Divine leadership) Refer to Hadith al Ghadir discussions

3-Socio-political authority that is essential for any community ( tribe leaders)

It should be noted that prophet did not intervene in how tribes selected their leaders. Islamic teachings though is against chaos and pro unity (in general sense) So you may belong to another religious leader, but this dose not give you the right to disturb the organization of your local community by force.

The verse was talking about authority that can suppress your own choices, an authority that has more right on your body than your own self has right on your own body. The authority has more rights in your money than your own self.

The verse says "Obey Allah and Obey His messenger"

And in Arabic represents an equation of some sorts. The verse is saying that Obeying prophet is Obeying Allah, which is not very hard concept for any Muslim.

The third part of the verse says "AND uli al'amr from amongst YOU"-- it should be noted that the verse was addressing Mo'mins not Muslims--

The verse says that Allah is given authority that is an extension of His and His messenger authority over you O believers.

The question is , which authority of the three types that I've listed above is the verse talking about? and why?

Edited by IbnSohan
  • Veteran Member

Salam to all, 

Very rightly quoted.

Salaam brother just the truth. What does "fee shay inn" mean??? Here are the possibilities:

On anything or within anything and this would mean, absolutely everything. All the affairs of disagreement and difference, be it religious or non religious.

To be continued.

Yea brother AMEEN so when I said in rekigion you need to understand that islam is a way of life. I mean everything from politics to having children on how to raise them. Also how we should walk, eat, drink, sleep, talk. So when I said everything and I said religious you need to understand that " everything" falls under the umbrella of religion. That is what I meant.

Also AMEEN can you tell me when and why this verse was sent. Also could you give me a reliable link to a shia translation of this verse

Brother the ISLAMIC history I'm coming close to finishing my reply to you.

Edited by Just the truth
  • Advanced Member

Ok brother, so basically every disagreement and difference, with the Ulul Amre, would be classified has religious because everything comes under religion, right??? Or is there any disagreement and difference, that one has with the Ulul Amre, which you would call, a disagreement and difference but not religious???

• Advanced Member

It was very clear that Muavia and Aisha had differences and disagreements, with the Ulul Amre of their time, which led to battles even wars, now according to you it is obvious that, these differences and disagreements were religious because everything falls under the umbrella of Islam. Now how Muavia and Aisha wrong according to you??? Having a disagreement and difference, with your Ulul Amre on religious grounds and at the same time being wrong??? Care to elaborate on this understanding and explanation of yours???

Yea brother AMEEN so when I said in rekigion you need to understand that islam is a way of life. I mean everything from politics to having children on how to raise them. Also how we should walk, eat, drink, sleep, talk. So when I said everything and I said religious you need to understand that " everything" falls under the umbrella of religion. That is what I meant.

Also AMEEN can you tell me when and why this verse was sent. Also could you give me a reliable link to a shia translation of this verse

Brother the ISLAMIC history I'm coming close to finishing my reply to you.

Inshalla,

I Presume its a long list of Previous Questions?

(salam)