Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Wisdom Lion

Marriage Problem

Rate this topic

example,when a woman get's pregnant,she might get 'pregnancy diabetes' that might stick with her forever... :dry:

That is an act which CANNOT be ignored, of course when it comes pregnancy she will no doubt face effects and Body temperate.

Your example is irrelevant. We are talking whether Allah (S.W.T) makes something Haram due to the effects it has on the body, by "Your"

Actions. And when we come to marriage and choosing a wife, that is Choosing, and in this there are Islamic laws. So when we come to Cousin marriage,

There is no Cease or Refutation against it, and Islam allows it, and nor is it makrook, and nor is it haram. The scientific research may have proved some side effects, but Science it self is not in "Complete Knowledge" as man Is limited, But Allah and The Quran have ARE all the knowledge, which man fails to obtain in the means of Absolute.       

Ignore the dogmatic thinking and move on.....you will be arguing your point for months if you allow it to continue.

Well Okay. Here's a picture of Nikolai the Walrus after it was presented with a fish cake.It couldn't believe it's own eyes and was shy. <3

3.jpg

That is an act which CANNOT be ignored, of course when it comes pregnancy she will no doubt face effects and Body temperate.

Your example is irrelevant. We are talking whether Allah (S.W.T) makes something Haram due to the effects it has on the body, by "Your"

Actions. And when we come to marriage and choosing a wife, that is Choosing, and in this there are Islamic laws. So when we come to Cousin marriage,

There is no Cease or Refutation against it, and Islam allows it, and nor is it makrook, and nor is it haram. The scientific research may have proved some side effects, but Science it self is not in "Complete Knowledge" as man Is limited, But Allah and The Quran have ARE all the knowledge, which man fails to obtain in the means of Absolute.       

3qba9x.jpg

Increase in risk of genetic disorder.

We now know more about our genes and diseases associated with it than before. Don't make uninformed choice.

I love when people throw this around. Do you know what that increase in number is for genetic disorders between first cousins? 

"In April 2002, the Journal of Genetic Counseling released a report which estimated the average risk of birth defects in a child born of first cousins at 1.7–2.8% over an average base risk for non-cousin couples of 3%, or about the same as that of any woman over age 40."

"Put differently, first-cousin marriage entails a similar increased risk of birth defects and mortality as a woman faces when she gives birth at age 41 rather than at 30"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage

Using numbers, population risk in non related individual for a birth defect is 2%. That increases to 4-5% with first cousin marriage (for which Genetic counseling is available). I am not promoting/criticizing cousin marriages but really sometimes people have not researched the stuff they post. 

First cousins are somewhat more likely than unrelated parents to have a child with a serious birth defect, but scientists say the risk is not large. In the general population, the risk that a child will be born with a major birth defect, like spina fida, is 3 to 4 percent; to that background risk, first cousins must add another 1.7 to 2.8 percentage points, the researchers said.

Although the increase represents almost a doubling of the risk, since the background risk is small to begin with, the result is still not considered large enough to discourage people from having children, geneticists say. And they point out that no one questions the right of other people with far higher levels of risk to have children. For example, people with Huntington's disease, a severe neurological disorder, have a 50 percent chance of passing the disease to their children.

The researchers, convened by the National Society of Genetic Counselors, based their conclusions on a review of six major studies conducted from 1965 to August 2000, involving many thousands of births.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/03/health/03CND-COUS.html

Edited by Abu Hadi

It is very small chance for child to have birth defect from cousins. Anyone who says that cousin marriage is wrong is going against Islam because cousin marriages have taken place. It's not WAJIB. But it's also not wrong.

It is not Islamicly wrong - but the possible outcome is something that you need to be informed about to make an educated decision.

The very real issue with offspring being produced from parents of the same gene pool is that if there is a recessive gene in the mix that could be expressed as a cognitive or physical disability - the likelihood of that gene being carried by both parents is higher and obviously the chance of it being expressed is higher. If the members of a closed gene pool consistently interbreed over and over - the chances become even higher again.

Most statistical information and predictions on the health of offspring from cousin marriages are based on one pairing, one time and from one gene pool - so it does not reflect consistent draws from the same gene pool as happens in generational cousin pairings.   

There are many more people carrying recessive genes than there were in the Prophet's (pbuh) time as babies that would have died in utero or after birth and definitely before reproductive age are now being saved through modern medical intervention and are living to produce their own offspring - that are carrying their genes - to be passed on.  

The best chance at having a healthy baby comes from parents of diverse backgrounds and unrelated gene pools as the chance of the expression of a recessive gene is really small. However, if cousins do choose to marry - they would be wise to have genetic screening to get full information on what recessive genes they are carrying and what the chances are of those genes being expressed in a child they could produce. 

Edited by Maryaam

^ As i was reading through i was thinking that too. I have a sketchy understanding of it, but my understanding is that the problems certain communties (;ike the pakistani communities in the UK) experience are due to a history of cousin marriages over a number of generations. It has become a very real problem here, so that the health service stepped in a number of years ago to spread awareness to people about the risks they were taking.

^ As i was reading through i was thinking that too. I have a sketchy understanding of it, but my understanding is that the problems certain communties (;ike the pakistani communities in the UK) experience are due to a history of cousin marriages over a number of generations. It has become a very real problem here, so that the health service stepped in a number of years ago to spread awareness to people about the risks they were taking.

Yeah - it is a real problem. These UK results, you are referring to, were being reported when I was I was in university. The birth defects within specific ethnic populations were as high as 10% - and those are just the obvious ones at birth.  Genetic screening is something that should be taken seriously.

Yeah - it is a real problem. These UK results, you are referring to, were being reported when I was I was in university. The birth defects within specific ethnic populations were as high as 10% - and those are just the obvious ones at birth.  Genetic screening is something that should be taken seriously.

6000th quality post :)

I remember when you used to be all new here, not all that long ago.  Glad to see you stuck around all these years.

Edited by Mutah_King

My current "suitor" hasn't a proper beard... after reading this post, I am thinking to cut things off.

What a pity if I consider that he is well mannered, very calm, brilliant, hard worker, with good sense of humour, supportive, handsome, takes care of his religion and performs wajibaats, etc etc... What a pity.

Hijab=modesty? Unfortunately nowadays this equation is very shaking. There are struggling sisters, who have strenght enough to carry it properly (and who need to beg Allah for daily patience!). But there are other sisters who just need their time to accomplish this order from Allah swt, may our Lord help them.

Go and check who and what is this non hijabed girl, after all she is a human being!

Ask Allah to help you to know what's actually in her heart (and in the heart of whatever woman you consider, being she hijabed or not, because He is the only one who knows if a man or a woman is a true blue Muslim). After you check, you will feel more fair than if guided by a mere stereotype. Above all, you will know what her reality is.

You can hardly find anything about genetic disorders in Islamic religious literature because such knowledge was almost non-existence back then. It's best not to keep yourself ignorant over these matters and follow the practices of a backward culture.

Here's a nice overview on why a baby/child end up with those nasty/undesirable genes from the parents.

On average, people probably carry from 5 to 10 genes with mutations in each of their cells. Problems happen when the particular gene is dominant or when a mutation is present in both copies of a recessive gene pair. Problems can also happen when several variant genes interact with each other — or with the environment — to increase susceptibility to diseases. People who have a change in just one copy of a recessive gene are called "carriers." They don't usually have the disease because they have a normal gene copy of that pair that can do the job. When two carriers have a child together, however, the child has a 1 in 4 (25%) chance of getting a gene with a mutation from both parents, which would result in the child having the disease. Cystic fibrosis (a lung disease), sickle cell anemia (a blood disorder), and Tay-Sachs disease (which causes nervous system problems) are caused by recessive mutations from both parents coming together in a child.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/health_basics/genes_genetic_disorders.html#

Every person has two copies of every gene on autosomal chromosomes, one from mother and one from father. If a genetic trait is recessive, a person needs to inherit two copies of the gene for the trait to be expressed. Thus, both parents have to be carriers of a recessive trait in order for a child to express that trait. Note that "expression" in this sense does not refer to genetic expression (i.e., transcription and translation) of the gene. Instead, "expression" here refers to the observance of the gene within the phenotype. If both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance with each child to show the recessive trait in the phenotype. Thus if the parents are closely related (in-breeding) the probability of both having inherited the same gene is increased and as a result the probability of the children showing the recessive trait is increased as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recessive_trait

Autosomal recessive disease

Dominance/recessiveness refers to phenotype, not genotype. An example to prove the point is sickle cell anemia. The genotype of sickle cell is caused by a single base pair change in the beta-globin gene: normal=GAG (glu), sickle=GTG (val). There are several phenotypes associated with the sickle genotype: -

1. anemia (a recessive trait)
  2. blood cell sickling (co-dominant)
  3. altered beta-globin electrophoretic mobility (co-dominant)
  4. resistance to malaria (dominant)

This example demonstrates that one can only refer to dominance/recessiveness with respect to individual phenotypes.

Other recessive disorders:

•  
Edited by Gypsy

I got an answer from Ayatollah Sistani in regards to non hijab wearing Muslims

"You should not listen to what they tell you to do. In the first place, it is not permissible to assoicate with a girl who is immodest. Secondly, you have the choice to marry a girl whom you consider to be appropriate. No one can impose an unwanted girl on you. "

May Allah grant you success.

www.sistani.org

Board of Istifta - Office of Grand Ayatollah Sistani

It is wonderful that her and her family prays all five prayers. That is certainly most important.  There are many hijabis out there that never pray so do not assume that hijab equates being a better Muslimah.  You could always discuss hijab with her.  People keep saying "why would she wear it after marriage?"  Many women like to do things that please their husband...shocking.