Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ibn al-Hussain

Young Muslims On Twitter: Hijabis, Marriage

Rate this topic

LooL so true. I always think about this too. It is all over twitter. Over all of this, what irritates me the most is people who quote khalid ibn walid and ibn taymiya... :squeez:

Non practicing muslims become practicing muslims (lets not forget sheiks) on twitter...  :lol:

All girls/guys talk about is their future husbands/wives and such... Hormones are at the highest level ever, especially within muslims. Then comes the private PM on twitter and such... It makes me laugh, when people condemn Mutah. When especially in our time, it becomes more valid. I would rather have a believer have a halal relationship over haram any day. My two cents. Thanks Imran.

(wasalam)

Edited by PureEthics

And I thought you wrote it Aal -e- Imran  :squeez:

But its pretty true! Thanks for sharing. I think similar things occur on Facebook and I actually feel so embarrassed for those girls who find the need to post pictures, and not just normal pictures that they would look like every day, but pictures of themselves with excess amount of make up, accessories, and tight clothing to get responses from others on how they look! Or maybe they want to find a husband? 

I just don't get it. Why do you have to "Show off"? We can all show off. Put on a few pounds of make up and photo shop our picture and show the world, but if your a hijabi then why? What is the point of that modesty, when 300 other guys are looking at you and God knows what they are thinking! I don't think that is the "Hayaa" our Imams (as) and Prophet (as) talked about!

(salam)

I really appreciate the time you took to bring awareness about Twitter. I, for one, don't use my name or picture for a reason. Now, my account is about Ahlul-Bayt (as) and I try my best to spread a good deal of Ahadith that I think will help people in their journey and faith. I could very well have made an account on myself, and simply do the same thing as I'm doing now; however, the message isn't about me. The message is for them, as well as myself.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's a waste of time (on my part) to spread the knowledge, but then I think about the Ahadith I learned a while ago that Imam Ali (as) said, to refresh yourself with wise-saying's, and I feel just maybe...that one Ahadith could make someone's day, or even change their lives and bring about reflection. Now, Twitter is just one outlet, there are many other way's to gain knowledge. I once had someone tell me it was a waste of time, and they didn't need to learn Islam through outlet's as in Twitter or Facebook, but some people appreciate the fact that they have access to Ahadith. I think about all the access we have today, as far as electronic communicative effort's, and it's actually a good thing (I think). It also can be used improperly, as you have stated. Nevertheless; it can be quite beneficial.

I also learn a great deal from my follower's, given they are from different parts of the world, and as Shi3a they are experiencing many different thing's. I really appreciate what you have said here, because I totally understand where you are coming from. Sometimes, I post Ahadith and people have never heard of any of them; which makes me happy, because somehow I am (in a small way) opening a door for them to seek more knowledge (at least that's my goal).

Now, there are several different types of Shi3a account's on there, but most are similarly; repetitive. I try to be somewhat different (i.e. posting graphics and art and video lecture's and news). I also am very careful about the Ahadith I select as well, which is the hardest part. Many of the other account's have like 50k tweets, I have maybe a little over a thousand, but that's only because I try to pick authentic Ahadith (Insha'Allah) or some that I think will be more reflective. Also, I am accountable for anything I post, so I have to also take this into consideration.

Well, anyways...Thanks for your post. It was definitely needed.

One last note: It's not about quantity, it about quality.

(wasalam) AB313

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Mashalah , wonderful article and very true.

I have stopped using twitter though.

It can be a tool of knowledge and a great way of meeting people around the world but three things made me stop:

1- if i tweet my personal life, it means i am wanting for attention so i indirectly feed my ego

2- if i tweet something funny, i am not being the modest Hijabi that im trying to be

3- If i tweet religious stuff, i am not feeling sincere anymore or i dont act according to the teachings that i spread

you can disagree with me, but this is how i think :unsure:

No wonder you never tweet :P

About your third point.Talking about religion in anyway is a positive thing, even if your not acting by what you say. Because it can change you and others around you. You become so familiar with what you talk about, you start unconsciously changing to the way you intend to, trust me. What is bad, is telling someone not to do something that is against the religion when you do it yourself. But to teach others is a mercy, and it is very needed. All I do is post hadiths on my twitter, and you dont understand, if I were to never do that, I wouldnt even care about learning what our imams/prophets had to say. Reading their sayings is a glimpse into their mind, and a great journey to take anytime. Its like their right in front of me, innate in me. Half the people who boast about their religion and say how they are a proud muslim, would have never done that in real life. But now, Islam has become a "boasting" (in the most good way possible), where everyone must tell others around them they are muslim. I see this through social media. It can become a very good thing, lets just hope the good outweighs the bad, and if people like us contribute it will be. We need more people talking about the ahlulbayt and such. People are missing out dearly, and its time we made this universal message, universal and stop keeping it to ourselves. My thoughts.. :)

(wasalam)

No wonder you never tweet :P

About your third point.Talking about religion in anyway is a positive thing, even if your not acting by what you say. Because it can change you and others around you. You become so familiar with what you talk about, you start unconsciously changing to the way you intend to, trust me. What is bad, is telling someone not to do something that is against the religion when you do it yourself. But to teach others is a mercy, and it is very needed. All I do is post hadiths on my twitter, and you dont understand, if I were to never do that, I wouldnt even care about learning what our imams/prophets had to say. Reading their sayings is a glimpse into their mind, and a great journey to take anytime. Its like their right in front of me, innate in me. Half the people who boast about their religion and say how they are a proud muslim, would have never done that in real life. But now, Islam has become a "boasting" (in the most good way possible), where everyone must tell others around them they are muslim. I see this through social media. It can become a very good thing, lets just hope the good outweighs the bad, and if people like us contribute it will be. We need more people talking about the ahlulbayt and such. People are missing out dearly, and its time we made this universal message, universal and stop keeping it to ourselves. My thoughts.. :)

(wasalam)

(salam)

Indeed! We need more people talking about Ahlul-Bayt (AS). :D 

Spot on post. I hate when people mix their own ego with religion on social-media, such as Facebook or Twitter.

Once, there was a post going around amongst Muslims on Facebook that read something in the lines with: "Allah has created you and loves you. If you don't repost this post, then you don't love Allah".

According to some people, Islam seems to be centred around social-media.

Spot on post. I hate when people mix their own ego with religion on social-media, such as Facebook or Twitter.

Once, there was a post going around amongst Muslims on Facebook that read something in the lines with: "Allah has created you and loves you. If you don't repost this post, then you don't love Allah".

According to some people, Islam seems to be centred around social-media.

(salam)

Mainly, it's because of everyone's usage of social media and technology these days. I guess it has its drawback's, but it also can be quite beneficial (if used properly). I think it's amazing that we have a vast (abundance) of knowledge online, whereas we never had access like we do now, al7amdulillah. Some people use it, and some don't, I guess to-each-his-own in that regard. If it helps you reflect in a good way, then it's a good thing. If it doesn't, then don't use it. Either way, both sides have to figure out what's their Truth, and what's not.

That quote you posted is unfortunate, I agree.

(wasalam)  AB313

It makes me laugh, when people condemn Mutah. When especially in our time, it becomes more valid. I would rather have a believer have a halal relationship over haram any day. My two cents. Thanks Imran.

(wasalam)

Only in time brother, only in time...

No matter how much people reject Islam, Islam manifests itself to people in strange ways.

----------------------------------------------------------

OP - Thanks for posting this.

When humans are young, almost everything takes a sexual undertone, be it pure or un-pure.

Non monitored access to opposite sex makes even the most pious of places and events having an hidden agenda, that is to find a mate. Point in practice, leave a million 18-24 years old Muslims men and women in holy Kaa'ba and you would still find them hitting, looking, flirting, flirting using Islam, but still flirting with each other.  Daa'wa as they call it, is in itself a big tool used to attract the opposite. Remember according to hadith, Shaytan runs in human's blood like oxygen.

This leaves us with two solutions to deal with it:

1. Ban all Social sites for Muslim youth. - This is a reactive and unsustainable solution. After twitter there was Linked in, then it was Facebook, then it was WhasApp, then it was Viber. This is all going to mushroom so banning it would same as banning the TV which is almost next to impossible.

2. Educate kids from their 8-9 years old about Islamic manners of Sexuality. Bind them with fatwas :) about the permission of Wali. Teach them to love for the sake of Allah and hate for the sake of Allah. Instill the strongest sense of pride of being Musilm, of being Shia, of being a lover of Ahlulbayt. Instill in them a strong hatred of enemies of Allah, of enemies of Ahlulbayt. Teach them their Sexual Limits, how to train their feelings, how to direct or deflect the incoming flirts. where to stop, how far to go, when to communicate with parents, parents keeping themselves open for communication.

Bottom line, this immense social interaction is a downward rolling snowball which just can not be stopped, but it CAN BE directed to good use.

Edited by Waiting for HIM

(bismillah)

(salam)

This is a great topic !!

It's not only about twitter, but all social networks including forums like Sc.. You can use them in a good way or a bad way. At the end of the day, what is important is to educate people, and lecturers play a big role in this and they should deal more with this topic.

Here are some lectures linked to this topics: 

No wonder you never tweet  :P

About your third point.Talking about religion in anyway is a positive thing, even if your not acting by what you say. Because it can change you and others around you. You become so familiar with what you talk about, you start unconsciously changing to the way you intend to, trust me. What is bad, is telling someone not to do something that is against the religion when you do it yourself. But to teach others is a mercy, and it is very needed. All I do is post hadiths on my twitter, and you dont understand, if I were to never do that, I wouldnt even care about learning what our imams/prophets had to say. Reading their sayings is a glimpse into their mind, and a great journey to take anytime. Its like their right in front of me, innate in me. Half the people who boast about their religion and say how they are a proud muslim, would have never done that in real life. But now, Islam has become a "boasting" (in the most good way possible), where everyone must tell others around them they are muslim. I see this through social media. It can become a very good thing, lets just hope the good outweighs the bad, and if people like us contribute it will be. We need more people talking about the ahlulbayt and such. People are missing out dearly, and its time we made this universal message, universal and stop keeping it to ourselves. My thoughts..  :)

(wasalam)

Good post brother, double like !! I didn't see it from this approach and i agree with you :)

Edited by BaqiyatullahY

I don't see how you can use your private social media (facebook, twitter) professionally or personally. For some people, there's no clear boundary. For them, their social media accounts are used to share their personal/private life as well as their professional life. The activity is also highly dependent on the mood of the day. If he/she is happy, you'll see more positive tweets/posts. If she is depressed, then everything is soo depressing.

The way someone uses their social media shouldn't really be a topic of discussion, because you should not make too much of what people say on social media (anyway) unless they really have something interesting to say. And most people don't fall into interesting category.

Edited by Gypsy

Alhumdulilah I don't have fb or Twitter. It's nothing to me but a whisper from shaytan.this doesn't mean some can never use it appropriately but if it's not u having the whisper than May be another person with bad eye.

Sad generation. They have turned or youth into robots.

Alhumdulilah I don't have fb or Twitter. It's nothing to me but a whisper from shaytan.this doesn't mean some can never use it appropriately but if it's not u having the whisper than May be another person with bad eye.

Sad generation. They have turned or youth into robots.

It's fairly simple, if you don't want to use it, or you don't like it, then don't use it.

If you feel you are making a difference, then I say Alhamdulillah to each person who takes out time in their lives to spread more knowledge.

(wasalam)  AB313

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Guest LadyNadine

Salam Alaykum,

I am not trying to start a arguements, but aren't you doing the same thing by being here on Shiachat? What is the difference here?

Edited by LadyNadine

I noticed that people in the age group 25 and under don't talk anymore. They sit on their phone, whatsapp twitter, Facebook, et al.........it's sad really, most of them can't communicate normally.

Not familiar with Twitter (heard of it but never ventured there). Closed my FB about 6 months go and havent regretted it. Recently read this article about how FB depresses people: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088074/Facebook-makes-sad-Pictures-make-people-jealous-other.html

"Those who had used Facebook for longer were also 'significantly' likely to agree with the statement that 'life is unfair" - lol

social networking or advertising = HEy, world, I exist, love me please.

At the same time, it highlights what religion tried to bury and that is genetic and wealth disposition. Hence those who have it flaunt it and get followers.

This could be considered true; however, it wouldn't serve any justification or purpose for those who have an account with no name added to it. Some people simply want to share knowledge as a means to serve Allah. Furthermore, technology is just another means to reaching people.

Honestly, I don't see how Shia Chat would be any different? Is this not another outlet online that spreads knowledge, and could also be subject to misinterpretation? It's up to the seeker to distinguish right from wrong, as well as Truth and falsehood.

I think it's rather humorous that one can pass judgments on those who use Twitter and/or Facebook etc...when you yourself use Shia Chat.

Not familiar with Twitter (heard of it but never ventured there). Closed my FB about 6 months go and havent regretted it. Recently read this article about how FB depresses people: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088074/Facebook-makes-sad-Pictures-make-people-jealous-other.html

"Those who had used Facebook for longer were also 'significantly' likely to agree with the statement that 'life is unfair" - lol

Lol it's because of all the friends with their status updates, pictures and general social media-ing who remind a person about every little thing in dunya that they can't have.

Salam Alaykum,

I am not trying to start a arguements, but aren't you doing the same thing by being here on Shiachat? What is the difference here?

I don't see much difference. Social media is social media no matter in what format.

I just wonder if this heavy reliance on social media is positive or negative? :donno:

Guest LadyNadine

I don't see much difference. Social media is social media no matter in what format.

I just wonder if this heavy reliance on social media is positive or negative? :donno:

exactly my point. If your on twitter, Facebook, and yes shiachat is all the same.