Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Islamic Salvation

Rijal Al-Kashi

Rate this topic

Miytham al-Tammar ("the date-seller")

حمدويه و إبراهيم، قالا حدثنا أيوب بن نوح، عن صفوان، عن عاصم بن حميد، عن ثابت الثقفي، قال : لما مر بميثم ليصلب، قال رجل يا ميثم لقد كنت عن هذا غنيا، قال فالتفت إليه ميثم ثم قال و الله ما نبتت هذه النخلة إلا لي و لا اغتذيت إلا لها

134. Hamduwayh and Ibrahim both of whom said: narrated to us Ayyub b. Nuh from Safwan from A'sim b. Humayd from Thabit al-Thaqafi who said: when Miytham was made to walk by on his way to be crucified - a man said: O Miytham you could have avoided all of this, he (Thabit) said: so Miytham looked at him and then said: by Allah! this palm tree did not grow except for me and I was not nourished except for it. 

Edited by Islamic Salvation

On 10/17/2016 at 7:51 PM, Islamic Salvation said:

I am transferring all that is here and the new stuff in the site below.

https://sites.google.com/site/rijalalkashi/

Check it out. Will be constantly updated Insha Allah.

May Allah reward you!

The new site looks absolutely beautiful.

I noticed you wrote '4th islamic century' - any idea on the exact range of dates when it is thought rijal al kashi was written ? 

A few of our sunni brothers seem to think that shia islam flawed because our rijal works were authored much laters than theirs. 

This site is devoted to translating an early work evaluating mostly Imami Rijal (i.e. Hadith narrators). 

It was authored by Muhammad b. Umar b. Abd al-Aziz al-Kashshi (fl. 4th Islamic Century).

Edited by uponthesunnah

Here is a wacky Hadith in Rijaal Kashshi:

قال نصر بن الصباح: قال لي السجادة الحسن بن علي بن أبي عثمان يوما ما تقول في محمد بن أبي زينب ومحمد بن عبد الله بن عبد المطلب (صلى الله عليه وآله) أيهما أفضل؟ قلت له: قل أنت، فقال: بل محمد بن أبي زينب الأسدي ان الله جل وعز عاتب في القران محمد بن عبد الله في مواضع ولم يعاتب محمد بن أبي زينب فقال لمحمد بن أبي عبد الله: "ولولا أن ثبتناك لقد كدت تركن إليهم شيئا قليلا "، "ولئن أشركت ليحبطن عملك" الآية، وفي غيرهما، ولم يعاتب محمد ابن أبي زينب بشئ من أشباه ذلك

23 minutes ago, Abu 'l Jarud said:

Here is a wacky Hadith in Rijaal Kashshi:

قال نصر بن الصباح: قال لي السجادة الحسن بن علي بن أبي عثمان يوما ما تقول في محمد بن أبي زينب ومحمد بن عبد الله بن عبد المطلب (صلى الله عليه وآله) أيهما أفضل؟ قلت له: قل أنت، فقال: بل محمد بن أبي زينب الأسدي ان الله جل وعز عاتب في القران محمد بن عبد الله في مواضع ولم يعاتب محمد بن أبي زينب فقال لمحمد بن أبي عبد الله: "ولولا أن ثبتناك لقد كدت تركن إليهم شيئا قليلا "، "ولئن أشركت ليحبطن عملك" الآية، وفي غيرهما، ولم يعاتب محمد ابن أبي زينب بشئ من أشباه ذلك

That's not a hadith mate, it's not the words of the Imam (AS) nor is it the words of the Prophet (S). Look at the chain of narrators.

20 minutes ago, E.L King said:

That's not a hadith mate, it's not the words of the Imam (AS) nor is it the words of the Prophet (S). Look at the chain of narrators.

And since you want to stand on your soap box, how about all the "narrations" of the Tabi'in? Like what you would find in the Musannaf 'Abd Razzaq? Those are not considered hadiths?

so the words of let's say:

Safwan ath-Thawri

'Ata b. Rabah

Mujahid b. Jabar

Tawus b. Kaysan

all prominent Tabi'in that inherited from the Sahaba, not Hadith though??

but the words of Al-Baqir all the way to Al-'Askari are Hadith?

they are kinda late in the timeframe don't you think?

44 minutes ago, Abu 'l Jarud said:

And since you want to stand on your soap box, how about all the "narrations" of the Tabi'in? Like what you would find in the Musannaf 'Abd Razzaq? Those are not considered hadiths?

so the words of let's say:

Safwan ath-Thawri

'Ata b. Rabah

Mujahid b. Jabar

Tawus b. Kaysan

all prominent Tabi'in that inherited from the Sahaba, not Hadith though??

but the words of Al-Baqir all the way to Al-'Askari are Hadith?

they are kinda late in the timeframe don't you think?

It's not about what's late and what isn't, it's about what comes from an authorative source (like an infallible Imam whose obedience is obligatory) and what comes from the sayings of random men.

Anyway, this isn't a thread for debate brother, let's not hijack brother @Islamic Salvation's thread. 

3 minutes ago, E.L King said:

It's not about what's late and what isn't, it's about what comes from an authorative source (like an infallible Imam whose obedience is obligatory) and what comes from the sayings of random men.

Anyway, this isn't a thread for debate brother, let's not hijack brother @Islamic Salvation's thread. 

If al-Baqir is infallible then why we have this Hadith in the Amaali of Ahmad b. 'Isa?

قال: حدّثنا محمد بن منصور، قال: حدّثنا أحمد 
بن عيسى، عن محمد بن بكر، عن أبي الجارود، قال: حدّثنا أبوجعفر-عليه السلام-، قال: دخلنا على جابر، ونحن يومئذ شباب نبتغي العلم، فقلت: إنّ قومنا أماتو الصلاة، فأخَّرُوا الظهر، وأخّروا العصر.
فقال: صلّوا في بيوتكم، ولتكن صلاتكم معهم تقيَّة.

4 hours ago, Islamic Salvation said:

x

:salam:

Apologies to break from the continuity of the thread, but is there an online arabic source for one to be able to read this book  ? [i.e the entire collection?]

You are undertaking several projects of invaluable worth to us all. Is there a way people who wish to help can contribute towards the cost of having a web-server etc, to partake in the thawab?

JazakAllah khayr

Edited by uponthesunnah

On 11/25/2016 at 2:29 PM, uponthesunnah said:

:salam:

Apologies to break from the continuity of the thread, but is there an online arabic source for one to be able to read this book  ? [i.e the entire collection?]

JazakAllah khayr

Below is one edition dividing the whole book into two volumes. This has the Ta'liqat of Mir Damad and the Tahqiq of Sayyid Mahdi Rajai.

Vol. 1

http://www.aldhiaa.com/arabic/show_book.php?book_id=222&link_book=alhadis_va_olome/elm_alrejal_valtabagat/ekhtiar_maarefat_1

Vol. 2

http://www.aldhiaa.com/arabic/show_book.php?book_id=222&link_book=alhadis_va_olome/elm_alrejal_valtabagat/ekhtiar_maarefat_2

OR

Vol. 1

http://shiaonlinelibrary.com/الكتب/2932_اختيار-معرفة-الرجال-الشيخ-الطوسي-ج-١

Vol. 2

http://shiaonlinelibrary.com/الكتب/2933_اختيار-معرفة-الرجال-ج-٢

[315] حدثنا حمدويه، قال حدثنا يعقوب بن يزيد، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن الفضيل و إبراهيم ابني محمد الأشعريين قالا: إن أبا عبد الله عليه السلام لما بلغه وفاة بكير بن أعين، قال أما و الله لقد أنزله الله بين رسول الله و أمير المؤمنين صلوات الله عليهما

[315] Narrated to us Hamduwayh who said: narrated to us Ya’qub b. Yazid from Ibn Abi Umayr from al-Fudhayl and Ibrahim - the two sons of Muhammad al-Ash’ari - who said: when the news of the death of Bukayr b. A’yan reached Aba Abdillah عليه السلام, he said: by Allah - Allah has brought him down (placed him) between the messenger of Allah and the commander of the faithful صلوات الله عليهما [as his station in the world to come].

https://sites.google.com/site/rijalalkashi/vol-2/bukayr-b-ayan

[317] قال علي بن الحسن بن فضال: قعنب بن أعين أخو حمران مرجئ

[317] Ali b. al-Hasan b. Fadhal said: Qa’nab b. A’yan the brother of Humran was a Murj’i.

[318] حدثني حمدويه، قال حدثني محمد بن عيسى بن عبيد، عن الحسن بن علي بن يقطين قال: كان لهم غير زرارة و إخوته أخوان ليسا في شي‏ء من هذا الأمر مالك و قعنب

[318] Narrated to me Hamduwayh who said: narrated to me Muhammad b. Isa b. Ubayd from al-Hasan b. Ali b. Yaqtin who said: they (i.e. the Banu A'yan) had - apart from Zurara and his (well-known) brothers - other brothers - who had nothing to do with this affair (i.e. were not of the Shia) - (these were) Malik and Qa’nab.

https://sites.google.com/site/rijalalkashi/vol-2/sons-of-ayan---malik-and-qanab

[164] طاهر بن عيسى الوراق، قال حدثنا جعفر بن أحمد التاجر، قال حدثني أبو الخير صالح بن أبي حماد، عن محمد بن الحسين بن أبي الخطاب، عن محمد بن سنان، عن أبي الجارود عن الأصبغ بن نباتة قال: قلت للأصبغ: ما كان منزلة هذا الرجل فيكم؟ فقال: ما أدري ما تقول إلا أن سيوفنا على عواتقنا فمن أومى إليه ضربناه بها

[164] Tahir b. Isa al-Warraq who said: narrated to us Ja’far b. Ahmad al-Tajir who said: narrated to me Abu al-Khayr Salih b. Abi Hammad from Muhammad b. al-Husayn b. Abi al-Khattab from Muhammad b. Sinan from Abi al-Jarud from al-Asbagh b. Nubata, he (Abi al-Jarud) said: I said to Asbagh: what was the status of this man (i.e. Ali) among you (in your estimation)? he said: I don’t know what you are asking (what you want) - except that our swords were on our shoulders so whomsoever he would point at we would strike him down with them. 

https://sites.google.com/site/rijalalkashi/vol-2/al-asbagh-b-nubata

[179] ذكر الفضل بن شاذان في بعض كتبه: أن الحسن لما قتل أبوه عليه السلام خرج في شوال من الكوفة إلى قتال معاوية، فالتقوا بمسكن و حاربه ستة أشهر، و كان الحسن عليه السلام جعل ابن عمه عبيد الله بن العباس على مقدمته، فبعث إليه معاوية بمائة ألف درهم فمر بالراية و لحق معاوية و بقي العسكر بلا قائد و لا رئيس، فقام قيس بن سعد بن عبادة فخطب الناس و قال أيها الناس لا يهولنكم ذهاب هذا لكذا و كذا فإن هذا و أباه لم يأتيا قط بخير، و قام بأمر الناس، و وثب أهل عسكر الحسن عليه السلام بالحسن في شهر ربيع الأول فانتبهوا فسطاطه و أخذوا متاعه، و طعنه ابن بشير الأسدي في خاصرته، فردوه جريحا إلى المدائن حتى تحصن فيها عند عم المختار بن أبي عبيدة

[179] al-Fadhl b. Shadhan mentioned in one of his books: after his father was killed al-Hasan عليه السلام came out in the month of Shawwal from Kufa to fight Muawiya, so they encountered each other in Maskan and they fought for six months, al-Hasan عليه السلام had appointed the son of his uncle Ubaydallah b. al-Abbas over his vanguard, Muawiya sent to him a hundred thousand silver coins so he abandoned his post and left with the war-banner and joined up with Muawiya leaving the army without any leader or commander, so Qays b. Sa’d b. Ubada stood up and addressed the people saying: O people, the departure of this one for this and that [i.e. money] should not frighten you, indeed this one and his father have never brought any good, and he took over the affair of the people (leadership). The soldiers in the army of al-Hasan عليه السلام mutinied against him in the month of Rabi al-Awwal so they attacked his tent and snatched away his personal properties, and Ibn Bashir al-Asadi struck him on his flank so they returned him to Madain while injured and he was given protection there by the uncle of al-Mukhtar b. Abi Ubayda [Sa’id b. Mas’ud al-Thaqafi]. 

https://sites.google.com/site/rijalalkashi/vol-2/ubaydallah-b-al-abbas

Abdallah b. Saba

[170] حدثني محمد بن قولويه القمي، قال حدثني سعد بن عبد الله بن أبي خلف القمي، قال حدثني محمد بن عثمان العبدي، عن يونس بن عبد الرحمن، عن عبد الله بن سنان، قال حدثني أبي، عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام: أن عبد الله بن سبإ كان يدعي النبوة و يزعم أن أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام هو الله تعالى عن ذلك فبلغ ذلك أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام فدعاه و سأله فأقر بذلك و قال نعم أنت هو و قد كان ألقي في روعي أنك أنت الله و أني نبي. فقال له أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام ويلك قد سخر منك الشيطان فارجع عن هذا ثكلتك أمك و تب فأبى فحبسه و استتابه ثلاثة أيام فلم يتب فأحرقه بالنار و قال إن الشيطان استهواه فكان يأتيه و يلقي في روعة ذلك 

[170] Narrated to me Muhammad b. Qulawayh al-Qummi who said: narrated to me Sa’d b. Abdallah b. Abi Khalaf al-Qummi who said: narrated to me Muhammad b. Uthman al-Abdi from Yunus b. Abd al-Rahman from Abdallah b. Sinan who said: my father narrated to me from Abi Ja’far عليه السلام that: Abdallah b. Saba used to claim prophethood and attest that the commander of the faithful عليه السلام is God Far Exalted is He from that, so that reached the commander of the faithful عليه السلام so he called him and asked him – so he confessed to that and said: yes you are Him, and it used to be cast into my thought that you are God and I am a prophet, so the commander of the faithful عليه السلام said: woe be upon you - the devil is just mocking you, recant this - may your mother be bereft of you - and repent, but he refused, so he imprisoned him and gave him a chance to repent for three days but he did not repent so he burned him with the fire and said: the devil beguiled him - he used to come to him and cast that in his thought. 

[171] حدثني محمد بن قولويه، قال حدثني سعد بن عبد الله، قال حدثنا يعقوب بن يزيد و محمد بن عيسى، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن هشام بن سالم قال: سمعت أبا عبد الله عليه السلام يقول و هو يحدث أصحابه بحديث عبد الله بن سبإ و ما ادعى من الربوبية في أمير المؤمنين علي بن أبي طالب فقال إنه لما ادعى ذلك فيه استتابه أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام فأبى أن يتوب فأحرقه بالنار 

[171] Narrated to me Muhammad b. Qulawayh who said: narrated to me Sa’d b. Abdallah who said: narrated to us Ya’qub b. Yazid and Muhammad b. Isa from Ibn Abi Umayr from Hisham b. Salim who said: I heard Aba Abdillah عليه السلام while relating to his companions the affair of Abdallah b. Saba and his claim of the divinity of the commander of the faithful Ali b. Abi Tali - say: when he claimed that about him - the commander of the faithful gave him a chance to repent but he refused to repent so he burnt him with fire.   

https://sites.google.com/site/rijalalkashi/vol-2/abdallah-b-saba

Usama b. Zayd

https://sites.google.com/site/rijalalkashi/vol1/usama-b-zayd

[80] حدثنا محمد بن مسعود، قال حدثني علي بن محمد قال حدثني محمد بن أحمد، عن سهل بن زاذويه، عن أيوب بن نوح، عمن رواه، عن أبي مريم الأنصاري، عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام قال: إن الحسن بن علي عليه السلام كفن أسامة بن زيد في برد أحمر حبرة

[80] Narrated to us Muhammad b. Masud who said: narrated to me Ali b. Muhammad who said: narrated to me Muhammad b. Ahmad from Sahl b. Ziyad from Ayyub b. Nuh from the one he narrated from from Abi Maryam al-Ansari from Abi Ja`far عليه السلام who said: al-Hasan b. Ali عليه السلام enshrouded Usama b. Zayd in a reddish Hibara cloak.

[81] محمد بن مسعود، قال حدثني أحمد بن منصور، عن أحمد بن الفضل، عن محمد بن زياد، عن سلمه بن محرز، عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام قال: ألا أخبركم بأهل الوقوف؟ قلنا: بلى قال: أسامة بن زيد و قد رجع فلا تقولوا إلا خيرا، و محمد بن مسلمة، و ابن عمر مات منكوبا

[81] Muhammad b. Masud who said: narrated to me Ahmad b. Mansur from Ahmad b. al-Fadhl from Muhammad b. Ziyad from Salama b. Muhriz from Abi Ja`far عليه السلام who said: should I not inform you about the people of abstention [who did not pledge allegiance]? we said: yes, he said: Usama b. Zayd, but he returned from that, so do not say anything [against him] except good, however Muhammad b. Maslama and Ibn Umar died ruined [they did not repent].

[82] قال أبو عمرو الكشي وجدت في كتاب أبي عبد الله الشاذاني، قال حدثني جعفر بن محمد المدايني، عن موسى بن القاسم البجلي، عن صفوان، عن عبد الرحمن بن الحجاج، عن أبي عبد الله، عن آبائه عليهم السلام قال: كتب علي عليه السلام إلى والي المدينة لا تعطين سعدا و لا ابن عمر من الفي‏ء شيئا، فأما أسامة بن زيد فإني قد عذرته في اليمين التي كانت عليه

[82] Abu Amr al-Kashshi said: I found in the book of Abi Abdillah al-Shadhani – narrated to me Ja`far b. Muhammad al-Madaini from Musa b. al-Qasim al-Bajali from Safwan from Abd al-Rahman b. al-Hajjaj from Abi Abdillah from his forefathers عليهم السلام who said: Ali عليه السلام wrote to his governor of Madina: do not give Sa`d [b. Abi Waqqas] nor Ibn Umar anything of the Fayy, as for Usama b. Zayd then I have excused him [you can give him of the Fayy even if he chose not to fight] because of the oath which was upon him.

58e5ec90d34d4_Usamab_Zayd.JPG.68905afd277e36baad623cd2d268738a.JPG

Who is greater Salman, Miqdad or Abu Dhar? 

https://sites.google.com/site/rijalalkashi/vol1/salman-al-farsi

[24] علي بن الحكم، عن سيف بن عميرة عن أبي بكر الحضرمي قال: قال أبو جعفر عليه السلام: ارتد الناس إلا ثلاثة نفر سلمان و أبو ذر و المقداد قال: قلت: فعمار؟ قال: قد كان جاض جيضة ثم رجع، ثم قال: إن أردت الذي لم يشك و لم يدخله شي‏ء فالمقداد، فأما سلمان فإنه عرض في قلبه عارض أن عند أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام اسم الله الأعظم لو تكلم به لأخذتهم الأرض و هو هكذا فلبب و وجئت عنقه حتى تركت كالسلقة فمر به أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام فقال له: يا أبا عبد الله هذا من ذاك بايع فبايع و أما أبو ذر فأمره أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام بالسكوت و لم يكن يأخذه في الله لومة لائم فأبى إلا أن يتكلم فمر به عثمان فأمر به، ثم أناب الناس بعد فكان أول من أناب أبو ساسان الأنصاري و أبو عمرة و شتيرة و كانوا سبعة، فلم يكن يعرف حق أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام إلا هؤلاء السبعة

[24] Ali b. al-Hakam from Sayf b. Umayra from Abi Bakr al-Hadhrami who said: Abu Ja`far عليه السلام said: the people turned back except three individuals - Salman, Abu Dhar and Miqdad, I said: what about Ammar? He عليه السلام said: he wobbled a bit then he returned [to the truth], if you want the one who did not waver and nothing of doubt entered him then it was al-Miqdad, as for Salman then it came to his heart a thought that the commander of the faithful عليه السلام knew the greatest name of God which if he were to intone - the earth would swallow them, and it is so, so he was pulled by the scruff of his neck and it was stricken until it left a swollen lump [cyst], the commander of the faithful عليه السلام passed by him and said: O Aba Abdillah this is from that [i.e. Taqiyya] so give the pledge of allegiance, as for Abu Dhar then the commander of the faithful عليه السلام had ordered him to remain silent, but he was not one to be affected by the blame of the blamer in regards his duty to Allah, he did not desist until he talked, so Uthman b. Affan passed by him and ordered that he be deposed of [and he was banished], then the people repented after that, so the first ones to return [to the truth] were Abu Sasan al-Ansari, Abu Amra, Shatira, and they became seven, none recognized the right of the commander of the faithful عليه السلام except these seven. 

NOTES:

This is a Muallaq narration, the intermediaries between al-Kashshi and Ali b. al-Hakam has not been given. However, Ali b. al-Hakam is a famous narrator and al-Kashshi probably has reliable path to his works.

al-Miqdad obeyed the order of accepting Ali's decision to give the Bay`a unquestioningly, Salman harbored the thought that Ali should use the Greatest Name of God to overpower his enemies once and for all [without being patient about the divine decree], while Abu Dhar was too scrupulous about the truth to remain quiet and had to publicly condemn the usurpers.