Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Zaynab McCabe

Revert Muslim Left Out....

Rate this topic

Does anyone else as a revert feel left out when they attend the center occasions?

I feel that here where I am from is no united at all, and as i sit listening to lecturas I can not understand I wonder who else has these experiences... What did you do about it? Honestly I get sad when I go to lecturas because I can never benifit from it.

Does anyone else as a revert feel left out when they attend the center occasions?

I feel that here where I am from is no united at all, and as i sit listening to lecturas I can not understand I wonder who else has these experiences... What did you do about it? Honestly I get sad when I go to lecturas because I can never benifit from it.

Are they In Arabic or English?

are't there Any Lectures in English Around you?

Farsi speaking.

No Eng for Eid :( at our center.

Have You ever tried to associate with people while at the lecture? like ask people? I feel really bad for you, many people suffer the same.

Here are some of the best of the best English Lecturers:

Sayed Ammar Nakshawani (RECOMMENDED!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyULSxR9v5w

Sayed Hossein Al-Qazwini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN159ezAsg

- Hajj Hassanain Rajabali 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUj2hwEa_I

All in All I advice you to try and be more Social in the Mosq, Perhaps asking the sisters in the Mosq,

Try to get involved and ask for material, places, and so on.

May Allah Guide you sister

Wa al salam

post-83202-0-02875500-1376033500_thumb.j

Yes it was very sad to see such a limited to one language approach I understand why khorjas are so well respected. InshaAllah things get better there. But going to eid and not learning or being reminded of knowledge and feeling as though even the prayer was invalid because pronouncing of words as if farsi. I love Farsi and learn it and know some but I can see how many can feel left out.

Edited by Maitham

Have You ever tried to associate with people while at the lecture? like ask people? I feel really bad for you, many people suffer the same.

Here are some of the best of the best English Lecturers:

Sayed Ammar Nakshawani (RECOMMENDED!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyULSxR9v5w

Sayed Hossein Al-Qazwini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN159ezAsg

- Hajj Hassanain Rajabali 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUj2hwEa_I

All in All I advice you to try and be more Social in the Mosq, Perhaps asking the sisters in the Mosq,

Try to get involved and ask for material, places, and so on.

May Allah Guide you sister

Wa al salam

Salaam,

I have talked to them but i moved 2 hours away recently. JazakaAllah for the videos inshaAllah  will watch them.

Even I think if reverts try to talk to their shia bro or sis they still feel an odd barrier...

InshaAllah I wish for this dis unity because of our culture deminishes away. Sadly I see this so much, as for me i left all my culture in trades for my religion, but it seems others whom are born muslim hold tight to this unity of culture. I even see this in others whom want to marry from another culture they have much issues with parents...

Try to learn Farsi if possible.

Also, insert yourself into everything.  Here in Sÿria, my people (the Alawitë) have never been welcomed but look at where we are now.  My great father (ra) took power in this beautiful country in 1966 via a coup d'état.  Nobody wanted him.  Not an evil Shi'ite, that can't be possible.  But now that I have power, the vast majority of Sÿrians love me.  This is because I have proven myself to be dedicated, intelligent, loyal, faithful, and overall just pure awesome (marg bar häters).  You can do the same thing.  At first they might uncomfortable with a convert, but they will learn to love you as long as you show them that you are serious.  Walk in there with your head up high, speaking Farsi, and saying "I love the family of the Prophet more than I love my self, may I be sacrificed for their, and Bashar al-Assad's, sake."  You will become very popular and be invited to several iftars every night.

Happy Eid Mubarak!

Don't be sad try to socialize with the attendees... whenever i noticed someone who is new at our masjid, for example a revert, there is always a feeling inside me to go and welcome them and become friends with them because i don't want them to feel like an outsider among the people, and just love meeting and making new friends, im a really social person in the masjid, and then i translate what the sheikh is lecturing about, then after the lecture we chillout

unfortunately many of the Shi'a centers in north america are cultural centers first, and Islamic may be second... it is a place that immigrants try to expose their children to Iranian/South Asian/Arab/you name it cultural norms, including language. I don't have any problem with this, personally, in fact Ayat. Sistani often tells visitors from the "west" to educate their children in the language of their origin.  However, I think this needs to be done away from the Islamic center, when they try to do this in the Islamic center - they end up driving away potential interest in Islam, and further end up isolating themselves. If Iranian/South Asian/Arab/you name it/ want to educate their children in their respective cultural norms, they should create a separate cultural center - such as an Iranian Center, or Pakistani Center, or Arab center ... but the Islamic center should be conducted in the language of the region where the people are living. 

I'll give another example of this, even in South American countries, where there are now many Iranians living, there is this problem of the Shi'a Islamic centers doing everything in Farsi, that is just absurd, given that the mission of these centers is to create an exchange with the local population. How are they supposed to learn about Islam, when they don't speak an iota of Farsi? However to their credit, they do have a number of events where the presentations, religious oriented movies, Islamic information is all done in Spanish, not as much as that might be needed, but definitely more that what takes place in north america

Edited by skylight2

If you see a problem in the shia community in your city or country then the best thing is for you to change it yourself. I have seen the same issues in Sweden and tried changing but with not much result so now I'm in Qom studying hawza and inshaAllah in the future I will hold at least one day per week sessions in our husayiniah in swedish and let the hussayniyah have their iraqi days and nights as much as they'd want. Unfortunately shia is like this and there's nothing we can do about it. Wahhabis have a good system, they speak the arabic text language (fusha) and then translate it into swedish. They are smart, but you know shias have been murdered and harrassed by the enemies of Ahl al-Bayt(A) throughout these 1400 years and so they have both not evolved in the understanding of how to propagate Islam to "outsiders" and they have become somewhat obsessed with their cultural and linguistical and national identities.

But times are anew, and who better than us the "outsiders" to attempt changing these errors?

My duas are with you and all other people trying to find a suitable place in the worship of Allah and the obediance and following of the Prophet and his Ahl al-Bayt.

Generally I would say being a Shia revert is harder than Sunni revert. There is alot more openness and acceptance (as well as programs and lectures) in the English language within Sunni Islam. HOWEVER, Shia's are definitely improving, recently I have seen a more willingness to English Lectures, especially the Youth here in UK. Mashallah. Many many majalis/lectures have been started by the youth and MOST if not ALL would be in English.

I would suggest perhaps finding others with the same Issue and trying to change it, try to implement more events with the English language OR YouTube has the largest variety of lectures you could ever dream of!

OP, please talk with the organizers and Inshallah once they know of this issue and how many people it's affecting they'll figure something out for you. I'm sure it's not just converts (although they hold a special weight if they bring this up) who will appreciate English lectures so you'll be doing others a favor too. There may be people not attending the masjid or centers because of the non-English language. If everyone stayed silent thinking themselves to be a tiny minority things will never change.