Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
starlight

Anyone Else Feeling Depressed On Eid

Rate this topic

its eid tomorow and i feel so depressed..... Every year i pray to Allah and hope and promise myself that i am going to to be happy on the next eid, but it never happens......

On top of other things ,news of fresh acts of terrorism in quetta, Pakistan arrive, making me even more depressed. feel so envious towards all thos eblessed people who able to celebrate Eid in a 'normal' way...

May Allah swt shower his blessings over all muslims and their families

its eid tomorow and i feel so depressed..... Every year i pray to Allah and hope and promise myself that i am going to to be happy on the next eid, but it never happens......

On top of other things ,news of fresh acts of terrorism in quetta, Pakistan arrive, making me even more depressed. feel so envious towards all thos eblessed people who able to celebrate Eid in a 'normal' way...

I feel depressed too. :cry:

same here. i stopped enjoying eid since i was 7. eid is so fake and doesn't reflect the true feelings of muslims.

Eid-ul-fitr is for children and women to enjoy. Children will eat, show off their dresses, henna, bangles and women will follow and also get to meet other women and show off and talk, and show off and talk some more. :D

^ As a kid I loved it because it meant gifts of money from uncles and aunties. It is a kind of a tradition here. They give moneys to your kids and you [have to] give to theirs. Even to servants, but less amounts. And for that reason, prudent men go to their banks before eid and get copies of 500, 1000 and 100 rupees notes.

Eid-ul-fitr is for children and women to enjoy. Children will eat, show off their dresses, henna, bangles and women will follow and also get to meet other women and show off and talk, and show off and talk some more. :D

Thats true

^ As a kid I loved it because it meant gifts of money from uncles and aunties. It is a kind of a tradition here. They give moneys to your kids and you [have to] give to theirs. Even to servants, but less amounts. And for that reason, prudent men go to their banks before eid and get copies of 500, 1000 and 100 rupees notes.

now the kids carry eftpos machines on eid , and make a killing , 

one of my nephews  asked if my card was good for a few ks 

The sad case is, we have been programmed when, where and what time to feel happy. The fact that, you are hoping to be happy on a certain day, is going to make one more depressed, by forcing an emotion. Just get on with life. Be positive or negative, both are good in some forms. Do not think of that day, just be whoever you are on that day.

Edited by D3v1L

I am not a child and gain no special gift from others, also do not show off and do not talk and talk in the eid day. :)

The reason why i enjoy the eid is its salat, i really enjoy repeating its sentences with others.

الله اکبر الله اکبر

ولله الحمد الحمدلله علی ما هدانا و له الشکر علی ما اولینا

اللهم اهل الکبریا و العظمه و اهل الجود و الجبروت و اهل العفو و رحمه و اهل اتقوی و المرحمه 

Saalam

I never liked Eid since I was a child. I was always left alone in the Masjid :( no one to play with and I cried almost every eid because I never received physical gifts, i only received money that I wasn't allowed to spend :P The masjid was also packed each year and it was not fun.

But now, I'm growing up, its the opposite :P I like Eid, I like the Dua's and the Dhikr that is being recited. We aren't supposed to find the joy in material matters during it because we won't find it.. Eid is about spirituality and thanking God. I take the day off to Thank Allah after he showered me and blessed me during that holy month that just passed ..

thank you sister za.s for posting the dhikr

الله اکبر الله اکبر

اللهم اهل الکبریا و العظمه و اهل الجود و الجبروت و اهل العفو و رحمه و اهل اتقوی و المرحمه 

Edited by -Enlightened

Greetings Starlight,

It is not uncommon to feel a let down after festivities are over, but not usually before they begin, or during them.

To me the only way to not have this let down is to carry the spirit through all the year and do good and honor God all through the year.

Don't make one big build up for one time of the year, but realize that God wants us to honor Him all year long.

I don't put alot of stock into holidays anymore.  I am instead thankful and try to be gracious to people on every day that God gives to me.

for these three remain; Faith, hope, and charity, but the greatest of these is charity

Carry love to people all through the year.

The greatest gifts are received in giving.

Salaam.

'liked'  what D3V1L and Enlightened posted. :)

Edited by CLynn

this line of Dua that is recited in eid prayer  has spirit lifting effect

Eid is good if you have good company to share the time with them, many people just do not enjoy the company of people of their community

Greetings Starlight,

It is not uncommon to feel a let down after festivities are over, but not usually before they begin, or during them.
To me the only way to not have this let down is to carry the spirit through all the year and do good and honor God all through the year.
Don't make one big build up for one time of the year, but realize that God wants us to honor Him all year long.
I don't put alot of stock into holidays anymore.  I am instead thankful and try to be gracious to people on every day that God gives to me.
for these three remain; Faith, hope, and charity, but the greatest of these is charity
Carry love to people all through the year.

The greatest gifts are received in giving.
Salaam.

'liked'  what D3V1L and Enlightened posted. :)

you just do not know how many blessings are upon Muslims who has fast the whole month, the Eid is a religiously blessed day, it is not a festival nor a day to go party and go against Allah orders.

but generally, you are correct, if one learned to be thankful all through year, he must see thousands of reasons to show gratitude to God in the day of Eid after Allah has made us his guests for a whole month, counting our snoring as tasbih , forgiving our sins and freeing us from hell.

I think there are one or 2 hadiths about the blessings that are upon believers during the day of Eid, they are nice to read.

Every year ever since I could remember Eid has been filled with arguments, disappointments and lies. The only thing I like about Eid is gathering In the masjid but we always end up being late so even that is a disappointment. Iolz @ expectations.

Eid was more enjoyable at a young age. Personally, I'm just really sad at leaving Ramadhan. The value of this month is beyond comprehension!. I was thinking how I will enjoy it tomorrow. But what makes me happy, is a.) ideally its a happy occasion automatically I feel that as Allah has ordained it to be. b.) the unity of the family and buzzing in the atmosphere makes me happy too. 

It's good that family's get together, but I just don't like how Alah is forgotten, like people don't read namaz, openly sin, etc. I try to do some amaal on that day but it's so busy everyone going all the houses one by one. It just that it's from Allah and he must be remembered at every occasion. Eid al Adha gives happiness due to the hajj aspect and unity again. 

I guess, it's taking everything into consideration, the situation and the age. As you grow up, you sort of get used to the routine I guess.

May Allah bless all of you with the happiness and blessings of both worlds. Indeed it is tough out there and the best we can try and do is pray for all of our blessed brothers and sisters who are undergoing hardships on Eid.

iltemase duas

this line of Dua that is recited in eid prayer  has spirit lifting effect

Eid is good if you have good company to share the time with them, many people just do not enjoy the company of people of their community

you just do not know how many blessings are upon Muslims who has fast the whole month, the Eid is a religiously blessed day, it is not a festival nor a day to go party and go against Allah orders.

I think there are one or 2 hadiths about the blessings that are upon believers during the day of Eid, they are nice to read.

Greetings IbnSohan,

I did not mean to imply that I thought Eid was about partying.  Sorry if it sounded that way.  That's why I included that I like D3V1L' s post and Enlightened's post.  I think it was Enlightened that spoke about how she liked the prayer time.

I think of Eid as a time of family gathering and being together in good spirit... breaking of fast, and counting blessings.... kind of like Christians at Christmas, or Easter.

If only people would count their blessings, enjoy their families, and give generously with gift giving all year long. This is what I was trying to say, that I try to do, and I find the holidays have much less affect on me because it is a year round thing with me. :)  I believe this is what Yahshua was trying to teach to people... charity and honor at all times.

Salaam and blessings to you,

CLynn

Edited by CLynn

Yeah it is depressing because annoying cultural Muslims have hijacked and distorted the celebrations.

Plus you always regret not doing enough during Ramadan (if anything) and just wonder if you will even be alive before next year.  It's just a cycle of fear, anticipation, regret, annoyance, and confusion.   It's like what's there to celebrate?  The world is ablaze and we barely accomplish anything during Ramadan. 

Just seeing these nominal Muslims dance and party around like they've conqered the world turns off any half-decent reflective person.

Edited by magma

You don't have to stress on eid. Believe it or not, I stay home all eid, with my family and in the morning i kiss their cheeks and pray the fitr prayer, and just go on like it's a normal day. You don't have to go out and show off. I see alot of people stressing about oh what am I going to wear oh where should I go... This eid my mom's been sick, and all my family's been home. That's my eid to have my family home. So don't be depressed, and don't have expectations and compare your eid to others' eids.

Saalam

I never liked Eid since I was a child. I was always left alone in the Masjid :( no one to play with and I cried almost every eid because I never received physical gifts, i only received money that I wasn't allowed to spend :P The masjid was also packed each year and it was not fun.

But now, I'm growing up, its the opposite :P I like Eid, I like the Dua's and the Dhikr that is being recited. We aren't supposed to find the joy in material matters during it because we won't find it.. Eid is about spirituality and thanking God. I take the day off to Thank Allah after he showered me and blessed me during that holy month that just passed ..

thank you sister za.s for posting the dhikr

الله اکبر الله اکبر

(salam)

That sounds so sad... But I believe all of us should learn from the way you grew out of it, and realize that Eid is the pinnacle of worship, as if you have reached the peak of a mountain. We should continue to strive and do good, and do ever-more Zikr on this day.

But getting together with a few family members and friends for lunch/dinner shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as its nothing lavish or party-style. Lightens up the mood I say :)

The sad case is, we have been programmed when, where and what time to feel happy. The fact that, you are hoping to be happy on a certain day, is going to make one more depressed, by forcing an emotion. Just get on with life. Be positive or negative, both are good in some forms. Do not think of that day, just be whoever you are on that day.

so what do you think of people who feel sad in muhurram?

I think something or nothing of them. It is their free will to let out certain emotions for individuals they have an emotional connection with. The only question is, do they really feel that emotion or have they been trained to feel it. As I recall some of the hadith? stating one should show the face of sadness on those days. To feel a real emotion, one has to understand it, love those personalities, there is no tear if there is no love. eulogy, mass mathams with latmiyats are there to evoke this emotion.

Though no doubt, oppression did take place, but as we have seen years and years on, once the entertainment is over, we are all outside having chai and laughing. Only a FEW would be feeling that sadness. Though I wonder, what does that sadness prove or achieve. Enlighten me religious folk.