Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Murtada

Eid Al Fitr 1434/2014 N America Moon Sightings

Rate this topic

(salam)

Moon hasn't been spotted in the US. Supposedly it has in Toronto and Chile. Waiting on California. I follow Sayyid Khu'i's shared night view.

Any updates?

Al Khoei Center: There have been no confirmed sightings of moon in New York. Thu, Aug 8, will be the 30th of Ramadan and Fri, Aug 9, will be the day of Eid. Eid Mubarak. For SMS/text updates on your cell phone please text 

Follow alkhoei to 40404

https://www.al-khoei.org/

Baitul Ilm (Chicagoland area): According to the ruling of Sayyid Sistani and Sayyid Khamenei, Eid al-Fitr of 1434 AH will fall on Friday, August 9, 2013. Baitul Ilm will conduct its main Eid service on Friday at 9:20 AM.

According to the ruling of Shaykh Nasir Makarim Shirazi, Sayyid Khoei and Shaykh Bashir Najafi, Eid will fall on Thursday, August 8, 2013

http://www.baitulilm.org/

Adding on to the Baitul Ilm report for Thursday Eid: This determination is based on confirmed crescent sightings in South America, which according to the rulings of these maraji’ will be valid for the United States as well.

Below being posted for information - they are "traditional Sunnis" followers of one the four Sunni schools, however, they are affiliated with the Zaytuna Institute and the infamous Hamza Yusuf who has made statements against Shi'a leaderships in Iran and Lebanon, and therefore should NOT be considered a trusted source of information. 

Crescen[Edited Out]ch has received reliable reports that the new crescent moon of Shawwal has been sighted on the evening of Wednesday, August 7th by experienced moon-sighters Iquique, Chile. 

This marks the end of the blessed month of Ramadan, and the start of the month of Shawwal. Eid al-Fitr will be celebrated on Thursday, Aug. 8th, insha'Allah.

We nonetheless encourage Muslims to celebrate Eid with their local community, following the dates and moon-sighting methodology of their qualified leadership. May Allah bless and increase everyone during these sacred days. 

We wish everyone in all places at all times a blessed Eid Mubarak. May Allah accept your fast and all your efforts during Ramadan. 

Crescen[Edited Out]ch.org adheres to the traditional principle that Islamic lunar months begin and end based on the confirmed, verifiable sighting of the new crescent moon.

Last Updated: August 7, 2013  22:41 MDT 
Posted: August 7, 2013  22:40 MDT
Edited by skylight2

I believe Eid in california is on Friday, but tomorrow is yom al shak, I suggest you go on a Safaar (travel) and break your fast, as it is better to be on the safe side.

Yes, I would encourage people who are in this type of doubt to travel. I will be doing that.

Edited by Murtada

looks like sunnis are doing eid on thursday ,and most shias on friday in north america... i'm going with baitulilm's recommendations  - and yes agree with ^ re: yom al shak 

Edited by skylight2

All of the maraje have as a standard that if you gain certainty that the moon has been sighted that suffices. To me moonsighting.com and its contributors are very reliable. Also the astronomical calculations made it clear that it was likely to be visible in S America especially chile. The reports from moonsighting were that their contributors from Chile saw the moon with the naked eye. These things in combination give me certainty that this is a reliable sighting. The ruling of my marja is that as long as the moon is seen in the east that suffices for the west so I will be celebrating eid on Thursday. Though I will also partake in the celebrations on Friday as that will be the main eid at my center and we have been encouraged to participate both days if possible.

All of the maraje have as a standard that if you gain certainty that the moon has been sighted that suffices. To me moonsighting.com and its contributors are very reliable. Also the astronomical calculations made it clear that it was likely to be visible in S America especially chile. The reports from moonsighting were that their contributors from Chile saw the moon with the naked eye. These things in combination give me certainty that this is a reliable sighting. The ruling of my marja is that as long as the moon is seen in the east that suffices for the west so I will be celebrating eid on Thursday. Though I will also partake in the celebrations on Friday as that will be the main eid at my center and we have been encouraged to participate both days if possible.

Bro who is your marja?

Ayatollah makarem shirazi.

Shi'a centers in south america are all celebrating eid on Thursday

That's interesting. That basically means they had credible sightings like the one in chile. This kind of irks me. The main muslim organizations announced that there were no credible sightings for NA and that eid is Friday, which is true if you do taqlid of ayatollah khamenei or sistani. Why they can't let people know that there were sightings on SA and that this suffices for those marje that have ayatollah khoei's fatwa or ayatollah makarem's is beyond me. So far after checking several centers websites I have only seen the one masjid that was mentioned in the original post explain why and how there will be eid on Thursday for some and Friday for most. It seems like we are hiding facts so as to make sure everybody observes eid on one day, which to me seems a little disingenuous.

"Below being posted for information - they are "traditional Sunnis" followers of one the four Sunni schools, however, they are affiliated with the Zaytuna Institute and the infamous Hamza Yusuf who has made statements against Shi'a leaderships in Iran and Lebanon, and therefore should NOT be considered a trusted source of information. "

What's wrong with Hamza Yusuf? What has he said wrong?

Edited by Rokaya

Ayatollah makarem shirazi.

That's interesting. That basically means they had credible sightings like the one in chile. This kind of irks me. The main muslim organizations announced that there were no credible sightings for NA and that eid is Friday, which is true if you do taqlid of ayatollah khamenei or sistani. Why they can't let people know that there were sightings on SA and that this suffices for those marje that have ayatollah khoei's fatwa or ayatollah makarem's is beyond me. So far after checking several centers websites I have only seen the one masjid that was mentioned in the original post explain why and how there will be eid on Thursday for some and Friday for most. It seems like we are hiding facts so as to make sure everybody observes eid on one day, which to me seems a little disingenuous.

I agree with you, and to me this also smacks of north american elitism ... - that they don't want to recognize or even mention the vibrant Mexican, Central and South American Muslims (Shi'a and Sunnis) - that is why I also posted the information from Zaytuna Institute - although I don't care for them - they correctly based their decision on the sighting in Chile. Now, I understand that not all marjas recognize this, and base their view on other factors, that is all fine ... but there are marjas who would agree with this position of Eid being on Thursday - and they go completely unrecognized, and dismissed, or made invisible. Diversity of views is only harmful if not recognized as valid, diversity should be valued and recognized by everyone - so we can all respect each other. 

Edited by skylight2

Has the moon sighting occurred in my area Toronto,Ontario. I live in the Scarborough area so can please someone find that out for me. My family follows Ayatullah Sistani's taqleed