In the Name of God بسم الله

Crescent Sighting, Is It Location Limited?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Al Salam Alikom

Please understand my question so we do not go off topic. I have tried looking at leader.ir's websites, and could not find the answer. I hope someone here might. I just sent in a question through the site today and will post the answer back in here once I receive it inshaAllah.

My Question: If I live in Canada (North America), and it was reported to me by 2 brothers in Argentina (South America) that they have witnessed the new crescent. Does this mean the new month has begun for me as well? 

(same question worded differently) The witnesses are reliable, but the location is different, does their testimony count?

(Followup Question) If not, what is the distance that is acceptable?

Note: This is a hypothetical question. I am not claiming someone has seen the new crescent. 

Wa Al Salam Alikom

• Advanced Member

Go to moonsighting.com. They have visibility curves that show where it is possible to sight the moon. Green means sight able with naked eye. Light blue means sight able with naked eye if conditions are perfect. Gray means need optical aid to locate moon, but then possible to see with naked eye, red means it can only be seen with naked eye. Black means not possible to see. Ayatollah Khamenei says that if the moon is seen in one of those curves it suffices for the rest of the curve. So if South America is green and it is seen there by NA is black and not seen that sighting would not be sufficient as South America was not in the same visibility curve. This ruling is known as the unity of horizons. Hopefully that makes sense

• Veteran Member

Go to moonsighting.com. They have visibility curves that show where it is possible to sight the moon. Green means sight able with naked eye. Light blue means sight able with naked eye if conditions are perfect. Gray means need optical aid to locate moon, but then possible to see with naked eye, red means it can only be seen with naked eye. Black means not possible to see. Ayatollah Khamenei says that if the moon is seen in one of those curves it suffices for the rest of the curve. So if South America is green and it is seen there by NA is black and not seen that sighting would not be sufficient as South America was not in the same visibility curve. This ruling is known as the unity of horizons. Hopefully that makes sense

(salam)

Shukran, bro.

As to AbdullahQ's question; when I was in Japan, people ended Ramadhan by a sighting in Malaysia. :donno:  :donno:

• Advanced Member

Perfect. Jazak Allah bil Khair. (May Allah reward you from his Blessings)

Just confirming, is MoonSighting.com supported by the Leader? or were you using it as an example?

Edited by AbdullaQ

• Advanced Member

The visibility curves on moonsighting.com are based on astronomical calculations. Moonsighting.com is a website that has nothing to do with the office of ayatollah khamenei, however I am fure that his office uses the same visibility curves. That being said I have found moonsighting.com to be very professionally run and its network of people looking for the moon to be quite reliable. The office of ayatollah khamenei only looks for the moon in Iran for the most part whereas moonsighting.com gives reports from around the world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I got an answer back from leader.ir for those that may look at this in the future.

Question:

Al Salamu Alikom

I moved to Canada (North America), and it was reported to me by 2 brothers in Argentina (South America) that they have witnessed the new crescent. Does this mean the new month has begun for me as well? 

I trust what they say 100%. My question is, the witness is reliable, but the location is different, does their testimony count? If not, what is the distance that is acceptable?

Thanks,
May Allah reward you.

Answer:

Bismihi Ta`ala

Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
The criterion in this regard is being confident that the crescent is sighted in a place where it is sufficient in relation to the mukallaf.
With prayers for your success

EDIT: This Shawwal according to Moonsighting.com's curves, the moon was visible in Argentina wednesday night, but not in Canada. According to the fatwa above, 2 witnesses in Argentina are sufficient for someone in Canada to accept their testimony. But at the same time, all the local shia (according to masjid committee) were fasting the next day... very confusing. 
Edited by AbdullaQ