Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Music Is Haram. Any Reason?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I am reading a book about music and he has very beautifully explained why it is haram.

I thought I should share it with others.

According to the philosophy ofIslam,man has been endowed with two main faculties:(i) Intellect; and (ii) Emotions.

Emotionsmaybedividedintotwocategories:PositiveandNegative. Wemaycallthem‘Attraction’and‘Repulsion’,or‘Love’and‘Hate’;or ‘Desire’and‘Anger’respectively.Letuscallthemhere‘Desire’and ‘Anger’. Thus, we have three faculties in all : 1. Intellect: Its function is to think and understand; 2.Desire:Throughitmantriestoattainthingswhicharebeneficialto him or which give him satisfaction and enjoyment; 3.Anger:Bythisfacilitymandefendshimselfagainst,andrepulsesthe things which he considers harmful to himself. Oftheabovethreefaculties,thefirstone,i.e.,Intellect,hasbeendesignedbyAllahtoguideandcontroltheremainingtwo,i.e.,Desireand Anger.Ifamanwantstoremainonrightpath,hemustensurethatthe two perform their functions under the guidance of Intellect. Forexample,theambitiontogetrichistheresultofDesire.Butitis theIntellectwhichguidesthemanthatthewealthshouldbeobtainedby honest labour, hard work and not by robbery or fraud. Likewise,theAngerinspiresthemantoresistpain.ButitistheIntellectthattellshim,forexample,tosubmittothesurgicaloperation,sothat he may avoid greater pain in future. WhentheFacultyofIntellectissufficientlydevelopedanddominates overtheothertwofaculties,themanadvancesspirituallyandethically; andsurpassestheangels,becauseangelshavegotonlytheIntellectand donothavetocontendwithdesireandanger.Uncontrolleddesireand angeraredominatingfactorsofanimals.Ifthesefacultiesweretobe nourishedbythemanbeyondtheethicallimit,andfreedfromthecontrolandguidanceofIntellect,hewouldsinktotheabysmaldepthofdepravity, and wouldbecome worse than animals.

Afterunderstandingthisprinciple,itiseasytoappreciatethereasons behind laws of Islam forbidding various actions. Ithasbeenalreadydescribedthatthemusicisamongthosethings whichboosttheemotionsandarousethesensualpowersbeyondtheir naturallimit;musicgivesdesireorangeranupperhand,andmakes themdominantovertheIntellect.Ashasbeenshownwithafewexamples,thisstatecouldreachastagewhereIntellectceasestofunction altogether; man becomes the slave of his emotions — desire and anger. AtimecomesthatheforgetshisCreatoranddoesnotrememberthe real aim of his life (which is to know his Creator and obey Him). TheLoveandFearofAllahpromotesvirtuesandgooddeeds,andrestrainthemanfromsinsandevils.Islamaimsatproducingbestofthe charactersinitsfollowers;andtherefore,ithasforbiddenthosethings whichtendtodivertattentionfromAllahandfromman’sdivineduties. Music is one of those things which have toxic effect on human mind. Therefore,Islamhasforbiddennotonlytheplayingofmusic,butalso listeningtoit;alsoforbiddenisparticipationinmusicalprogrammes whetheritbeinplacesliketheaters,nightclubsandcinemasorinone’s ownhome.Incidentally,thesameisthereasonbehindthelawforbidding liquor and gambling.

I am reading a book about music and he has very beautifully explained why it is haram.

I thought I should share it with others.

According to the philosophy ofIslam,man has been endowed with two main faculties:(i) Intellect; and (ii) Emotions.

Emotionsmaybedividedintotwocategories:PositiveandNegative. Wemaycallthem‘Attraction’and‘Repulsion’,or‘Love’and‘Hate’;or ‘Desire’and‘Anger’respectively.Letuscallthemhere‘Desire’and ‘Anger’. Thus, we have three faculties in all : 1. Intellect: Its function is to think and understand; 2.Desire:Throughitmantriestoattainthingswhicharebeneficialto him or which give him satisfaction and enjoyment; 3.Anger:Bythisfacilitymandefendshimselfagainst,andrepulsesthe things which he considers harmful to himself. Oftheabovethreefaculties,thefirstone,i.e.,Intellect,hasbeendesignedbyAllahtoguideandcontroltheremainingtwo,i.e.,Desireand Anger.Ifamanwantstoremainonrightpath,hemustensurethatthe two perform their functions under the guidance of Intellect. Forexample,theambitiontogetrichistheresultofDesire.Butitis theIntellectwhichguidesthemanthatthewealthshouldbeobtainedby honest labour, hard work and not by robbery or fraud. Likewise,theAngerinspiresthemantoresistpain.ButitistheIntellectthattellshim,forexample,tosubmittothesurgicaloperation,sothat he may avoid greater pain in future. WhentheFacultyofIntellectissufficientlydevelopedanddominates overtheothertwofaculties,themanadvancesspirituallyandethically; andsurpassestheangels,becauseangelshavegotonlytheIntellectand donothavetocontendwithdesireandanger.Uncontrolleddesireand angeraredominatingfactorsofanimals.Ifthesefacultiesweretobe nourishedbythemanbeyondtheethicallimit,andfreedfromthecontrolandguidanceofIntellect,hewouldsinktotheabysmaldepthofdepravity, and wouldbecome worse than animals.

Afterunderstandingthisprinciple,itiseasytoappreciatethereasons behind laws of Islam forbidding various actions. Ithasbeenalreadydescribedthatthemusicisamongthosethings whichboosttheemotionsandarousethesensualpowersbeyondtheir naturallimit;musicgivesdesireorangeranupperhand,andmakes themdominantovertheIntellect.Ashasbeenshownwithafewexamples,thisstatecouldreachastagewhereIntellectceasestofunction altogether; man becomes the slave of his emotions — desire and anger. AtimecomesthatheforgetshisCreatoranddoesnotrememberthe real aim of his life (which is to know his Creator and obey Him). TheLoveandFearofAllahpromotesvirtuesandgooddeeds,andrestrainthemanfromsinsandevils.Islamaimsatproducingbestofthe charactersinitsfollowers;andtherefore,ithasforbiddenthosethings whichtendtodivertattentionfromAllahandfromman’sdivineduties. Music is one of those things which have toxic effect on human mind. Therefore,Islamhasforbiddennotonlytheplayingofmusic,butalso listeningtoit;alsoforbiddenisparticipationinmusicalprogrammes whetheritbeinplacesliketheaters,nightclubsandcinemasorinone’s ownhome.Incidentally,thesameisthereasonbehindthelawforbidding liquor and gambling.

I have difficulty reading such long words.

Lol...There is no space?

Edited by TheIslamHistory