Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Qasir

Why Is Nabi Musa (As) Mentioned So Much?

Rate this topic

There is a tradition in sahih bukhari that the history of the Children of Israel will be repaeted in the nation of Muhammad saww. This can be the possible reason that the Allah's most favoured prophet of his time has been mentioned with his incidents in Quran so often. I think the objective could be to provide guidance and reminder to the nation of Muhammad saww from these incidencnes of Hz Musa as.

Jesus is mentioned more than the Prophet..

There was a person, who said, he was curios that why did Allah swt only mention Prophet Muhammad saaw only four times, but Prophet Isa as more... What is the reply?

Actually the Bani Israiel are also mentioned too often for any scrutinizer who would rather weigh material and not the message or fathom its purpose. They, the Jews, were God's chosen people. Eventually however they finally became cursed due to the plethora of their grievous sins. And Musa (as) is their prophet. The whole story with its events, and Musa (as) with such detail is mentioned for the purpose to educate human beings about themselves and how God can indeed forsake any so-called Godly nation when our sins and disobediences cross the limits. This is also oft mentioned in the Qur'an. And that is exactly why we, the so-called Muslims of today, the last Godly nation, the once 'chosen' people, the ummah of Muhammad have been forsook because we only carry tongues and names and not the deeds or spirit that we once had when we had people among us worthy to be called Muhammadans. We followed in the footsteps of the ancient Jews and today as a nation we've finally become a lot worse than them to be honest. They have Zionists and we have Wahabies. They pray at their wailing wall, to no avail, and we pray too, to no avail.

Probably Allah (swt) wanted to tell Muslims the real stories of Musa (a.s). Muslims, particularly from Madina, were working, in bussiness mainly, closely with Jews, who had distorted their religion very much and invented a lot. Hadn't Quran told so much about Musa, it could have been possible to take Musa (a.s) very differently.

As bro Qa'im said, the Jews at that time was waiting for "the Prophet" who would come from "their brother" (an Ishmaelite) and "like Mosheh" (lawgiver). It's not surprising the early message of Islam including the Qur'anic verses was also focused to the Jews to remind them that the one that they had been waiting for had arrived.

This is a very good question.

The number of times that Hazrat Musa is mentioned in the Quran seems odd unless ones understands the bigger picture.

For a long time the Children of Israel were the chosen nation, just as the Musims are today. They had a colossal number of prophets sent to them, were the carriers of the Divine message, and had a detailed Sharia similar to ours. Hazrat Isa was a Jew. So for along long time the Jews had been the ones addressed to by Allah.

Thus in this context Islam is a continuation of this same message, so Allah addressing (and chastising) the Jews so much in the Quran makes perfect sense.

Hazrat Musa (as) is the central figure of Jews (Bani Israel). His story is mentioned more frequently because his teachings were currupted by certain Jews. So to restore the true teaching of Hazrat Musa Allah Swt mentioned his story more frequently in Quran. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is mentioned only 4 times as Muhammad and one time as Ahmad. It doesn't mean Hazrat Musa (as) is greater than Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh). Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh) is higher in rank.

Edited by Iamgr8

On 8/5/2013 at 0:18 PM, Qasir said:

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Does anyone know why the Prophet Musa (as) is mentioned so often in the Holy Quran?

Me and a friend of mine were once discussing Christianity and it got onto the subject of the Spirit of Truth mentioned in the Gospels. We both agreed that if we were to accept on face value all the verses about the spirit of truth mentioned, than neither the Prophet [sawa] nor the Holy Ghost, as Christians believe, fits this criteria. However, he then went on to give a few 'proofs' if you will to show that the proper understanding was that this figure was expected to be an actual man and not the Holy Ghost. External evidence supports both theories but I am of the opinion it most likely refers to the Prophet SAW. Even when the Qur'an depicts the moment the Isa Ibn Maryam [a] announces the advent of the Messenger SAW he uses the name 'Ahmad' which is rather remarkable. My friend then went onto to say that to him the clearest mention of the Prophet SA is found in Deuteronomy 18:17-20 which says:

17 And the Lord said to me: ‘What they have spoken is good.

18 I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him.

19 And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him.'

In this passage God is speaking directly to Prophet Musa [a] and has said He will raise up a Prophet from amongst the Brothers of the Isrelites (which happens to the the Ismalites - the Arabs) who will be 'like' Moses. Now one theory my friend was telling me about was the idea that God, in the Qur'an, was highlighting the similarities of the life and task of Moses that Muhammad was to face. Which helps us understand why he was mentioned so much compared to other prophets. And it is true, out of all the Prophets the one who bears the most resemblance to Prophet Musa is Muhammad SA.

Hope that helps. It's not a proven and accepted belief amongst Scholars (as far as I know) but its evidence is rather strong and convincing. Was good enough for me to explain why Musa was mention so much in the Qur'an. Ultimately to highlight his similarities with the Prophet SA

On 8/22/2013 at 9:55 PM, Waiting for HIM said:

OP two reasons:

Nabi Musa was the awaited messiah of Bani Israel.

Same as Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was the awaited 'Seal of the Prophets' AND his successors, specifically the last one Imam Al Mahdi (as) is the promised, foretold, much awaited savior for the whole of mankind.

Rest are details.

Jesus was the messiah.

That's like saying, "Why is America in North America?" Because it's there?!

But seriously, I don't know. Maybe because Allah loves him so much. Or that his miracles were amazing. Or that he was one of the most talked about or the one that we have the most information about. I have no freaking idea.

I think that one of the reasons prophet Musa (as) is mentioned more than prophet Muhammad (saww) may be that we as Muslims believe that we have a right over the Quran as if Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì had personally signed it and gifted it to us. However this is not the case as we know Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì sent us our divine scripture through our prophet Muhammad (saww) who was a mercy sent for the whole of MANKIND (not just Muslims) and therefore when the Quran mentions Musa (as) more than our holy prophet, I believe that it is trying to entice the people who love musa to Allah's ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì mercy and his doors of forgiveness. Further than this I would say that the Quran may be indicating that just because Muhammad (saww) is the prophet of Islam, doesn't mean that we should disregard other prophets trials and tribulations, rather we should try to encompass their teachings and the teachings of the holy Quran every single day throughout our lives. May we pray that Allah hastens the reappearance of the commander of his justice on this earth and grants us his intercession on the day that we need it most, the day of reckoning... in the name of Muhammad (saww) and his family and in the name of your Mercy, oh most Merciful of the Merciful... و صل اللهُ علا  سيدنا محمد و على اٰله بيتِهِ الطيبين الطاهرين