Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Underhill

Is It Okay To Annoucne Pregnancy?

Rate this topic

Salam,

My wife is 5 weeks pregnant. Her relatives prohibit her from making it 'public', and announce it to everyone because 'it's too early' and 'not stable' or whatever.

Is there such basis in this belief? As because a first time soon to be father, I've very excited.

Guest LadyNadine

Salam,

My wife is 5 weeks pregnant. Her relatives prohibit her from making it 'public', and announce it to everyone because 'it's too early' and 'not stable' or whatever.

Is there such basis in this belief? As because a first time soon to be father, I've very excited.

There is nothing in islam about announcing it publicly is forbidden. However, it just sounds like a precaution. It sounds like they don't want to "jinx" the new miracle from being born.

(wasalam)

It seems her relatives are just being cautious and don't want to announce it incase something happens.

From a medical perspective there is some basis to what they are saying because it's usually within the first 8 weeks that there is the highest chance that something might go wrong.

Having said that, InshAllah nothing of that sort will happen and I pray for your wife's healthy pregnancy and delivery. I can understand how excited you are and after weighing up everything, it's ultimately up to you and the wife when you wish to announce it.

Yes, it is rooted in the belief that the risk of miscarriage is highest in the first trimester. Many usually wait until the 3 month scan before they tell their wider circle of family and friends. I will certainly keep it to a selected few if I get pregnant, but I am a private person in general.

Congratulations, I am glad you are excited :)

Edited by keys2paradise

Alot of people would wait the first 3 months just to make sure everything is well with the pregnancy. But dont let that stop you from telling those closest to you, just dont make it such a big announcement for now. Trust me it will spread like wildfire so quick anyway.

The measure is this: if you would find it painful to gave to share the family tragedy of a miscarriage, then best to keep it small for a while. Lots of miscarriages before 12 weeks. Let me tell you, it is not fun for anyone involved to have that conversation: "So, how are things coming with the baby? You must be excited? Well, we lost it. Oh... So sorry."

MashAllah on your happy news =) inshAllah the pregnancy will progress well and you will be able to celebrate it with others. Personally i would wait a while to announce, for the reasons others have stated, but i can understand your excitement is making it hard for you. Maybe just mention to close relatives and leave the wider circle till later?

BROTHER: There is nothing Islamically unlawful about anouncing it, however almost all doctors recommend that you do not announce pregnancy until your wife is atleast 3 months pregnant (especially if its your first child). This is because, God Forbid, miscarriages are quite common within the first 3 months of pregnancy and especially if its the first child. This is not because the father and mother are at fault or did something wrong or whatever, its simply because the human body cannot take on such a change sometimes and therefore through no one's fault the baby is miscarried.

Thats why doctors recommend that you do not spread this good news beyond close family members until atleast 3 months so that you can avoid uncomfortable situations if (God Forbid) your wife potentially miscarries and you have tons of people coming back to ask you "So you excited for the baby? and how long until you give birth?"

Edited by Kirmani

It seems not many of you are bothered by the fact that the family of his wife is still prohibiting things and calling the shots.

It seems not many of you are bothered by the fact that the family of his wife is still prohibiting things and calling the shots.

Why should it matter if it is good advice irrespective of who's giving it? I think they are just being cautious as is everbody else on this thread, which is fine imo.

Thank you brothers and sisters for the insights. Makes sense now. Appreciate all the replies and please do remember us in your duas :)

Brother the most important thing would be to give ample time to your wife (maybe read Quran besides her) and her diet. And make sure to take her for the first Blood test on week 10, and Quad test/triple test on week 15 (this one is important).

Brother the most important thing would be to give ample time to your wife (maybe read Quran besides her) and her diet. And make sure to take her for the first Blood test on week 10, and Quad test/triple test on week 15 (this one is important).

Diet is a concern,because we eat outside most of the time. We're both working, it's kinda hard to eat healthly but we'll try. We did the first ultrasound test, and the doc advise not to fast, and gave her folic acid.

I'm kinda cluless. Hunting for a good Gnyae next!

Yes please don't fast.....even mild dehydration can wreak havoc on a pregnancy at any stage. 

Why should it matter if it is good advice irrespective of who's giving it? I think they are just being cautious as is everbody else on this thread, which is fine imo.

It sounded like a prohibition not advice 

Edited by ImAli

Diet is a concern,because we eat outside most of the time. We're both working, it's kinda hard to eat healthly but we'll try. We did the first ultrasound test, and the doc advise not to fast, and gave her folic acid.

I'm kinda cluless. Hunting for a good Gnyae next!

Folic Acid is hugee... I can't stress its importance throughout pregnancy. The biggest cause of Anencephaly is due to Folic Deficiency in mother. Google the condition and u will know how serious it is.

It's mostly based on superstition and 'culture'. If the doctor has confirmed your wife's pregnancy then it's already confirmed. You can announced it to the world if you wish.

But God forbid if something bad happens, your family seems like the type who would come back to taunt you for not following their superstition.

Congratulations.....and don't let anyone prohibit what you and your wife can or can't do.

i agree CONGRATULATIONS!!! yes, ive heard some do nt like to announce until after the 4th month, but putting all in Allahs (SWT) hands you will hold your child in 9 months time.