Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Labbaik Ya Zahra

How To Dress Modestly For Interview

Rate this topic

(salam)

I have recently been offered an interview for an accounting role and I am a bit clueless as to what to wear. I would like to dress modestly and preserve my hijab but also at the same time look professional. I was thinking a dress with trousers, the interview is for a graduate accountant (office environment) if this helps

Jazakallah

(wasalam)

Anything that is not clingy, covers you well and is not figure hugging is suitable. A dress or a dress with trousers as you suggested would be okay if it complied to the above requirements of modesty. A smart shirt with a suit jacket or blazer and long skirt can also look professional. It depends on how you pull the outfit together; going for a dark or nude colour palette as opposed to summery colours is a good bet. You don't need specific shoes either,  just make sure your shoes are polished and smart. I think plain Abayas are quite smart and keeping within the professional expectations but it depends on the person and the place. Dressing conservatively for interviews is not that daunting when you think about it as although appearances make a first impression, the interview is the main part.  

I really hope your interview goes well,  good luck. 

When I went in for an interview for a ChemE internship, I wore fancy black pants and long black coat which looked like a suit, just a long version of it. My mom actually wore that coat to her interviews, but I think a dress looks a little tacky. A coat is more professional. Good luck!

And I just read you got the job! So great job! yay

Salam,

I've a coworker who is a hijabi Muslima in the similar to yours accounting role at my work.

It would be unethical for me to post her pic here but here's how she dresses up every day, even on the jeans day (semi formal) at my workplace. The other four days are formal wear at my work.

1. She almost as a rule always wear slacks, buttoned up collard shirt, a blazer hips down, and a matching hijab slightly chest down.

2. She does not wear jewelry except for a wrist watch and a ring on her left hand. She is not married but that ring keeps potential flirting parties at bay.

3. She wears a light makeup and a very light perfume. Never the one which makes the heads turn.

4. Never wear jeans ever.

5. Never wear silk shirts, long kurta shirts, basically never any soft fabric without a blazer.

6. Always wears shoes, never the sandals.

7. Never wears a long skirt at work.

She is the most respected employee we have, nobody ever has hit on her (not that I know of given that my workplace is filled with high profile alpha male types who keep the scores), has a persona of grace at all times, and although is friendly but never allows anybody to use profane language in front of her.

Hope this helps..... Good luck at your new job.

Try to get into your own business as soon as you possible can, this is the best way for a Muslima to make her living, so she is not reporting to anybody.

Edited by Waiting for HIM

wow ..talk about details WFH , 

I can't even describe my wives in such a manner .

do you also know the colour coordination of clothes , taking into weather conditions , end of month meetings etc from this sister ?

Do you know where she buys her clothes from , and if the perfume she wears is :Halal or not ?

^ she reports to me :) so the details and is a good friend too.

Can't marry her permanently, she is Sunni. No matter how wife-like she seems, it ain't happening with a Sunni woman.

But thanks for your suggestions.

do you also know the colour coordination of clothes , taking into weather conditions , end of month meetings etc from this sister ?

Do you know where she buys her clothes from , and if the perfume she wears is :Halal or not ?

Bro you need to look at your wives more carefully and with much compassion. You will find many things for which you might want to praise Allah swt.

^ she reports to me :) so the details and is a good friend too.

Can't marry her permanently, she is Sunni. No matter how wife-like she seems, it ain't happening with a Sunni woman.

But thanks for your suggestions.

Bro you need to look at your wives more carefully and with much compassion. You will find many things for which you might want to praise Allah swt.

:Jazak-Allah-Khair my young wise bro , 

:Eid-Mubarak to you .

Yes :Sami....it seems that one should lower the gaze....I wish I could warn this lady who he is working with because she would probably like to search for a new job after reading this.