Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
haya140

Why Don't Some Sunni And Shia Get Along?

Rate this topic

As Salam Walequm:) I wanted to discuss somethings with my family on shiachat:)  I have been thinking of something lately and can't get it out of my mind.. i'm taking to much stress about things that happened to me.. let me introduce myself, im a girl born in karachi but raised in NY I'm from a half shia half sunni family. My father's side is all shia and my mother's side is sunni except my grandma (she was a shia at heart from the day she was born till the day she died) she converted completely after she married my grandfather who comes from a shia family:) so im a shia haha:P.. Few years ago my parents decided to go to karachi for a year and so me and my brothers enrolled into school there.. I thought it would be fun too but i spoke to soon.. On the first day of school in pakistan i met this girl (she had 6 friends following her EVERYWHERE lol) (my parents thought me to never forget my culture and religion so i had a perfect english accent but spoke urdu most of the time:) she came near me and she smiled so i said As salam walequm and she didnt reply instead she said are you sunni or shia?(in english) ( by reading this you might think what the?? well Thats the first thing she said to me) Anyways i told her "gi meh shia hu" and i smiled.. then her and her friends all frowned at me and said "ew i hate shia yuck" and walked away laughing at me.. i never made friends in that school and eventually told my mom that i wanted to go back to ny but she couldn't go because we just came so i went to that school for 2 months and the rest 8 months i was home schooled we finally left pakistan (Allah ka shuker) (i love pakistan with all my heart but the position i was in only i could understand, it was complicated to live there) Ok i know this is my past and i should just move on but it's been haunting me forever.. i have friends who are many religions here and they have no problem with me but why do people who are the closest to my religion do this? Sunni or Shia we are both apart of Islam and should live peacefully This is like india vs pakistan .. why can't we get along? This might be a stupid topic to talk about but to me it's a lot.. and if anyone has advice about what I did wrong i'll be glad to hear it:) Please understand:) Shukria:)

Salams,

How unfortunate that that happened to you on your trip back to your homeland. Well, too bad for that "mean girl" posse; they missed out a new opportunity for friendship. I'd say the conflict is a complex mixture of things with roots going back to the times of our prophet (S.A.W) and imams (A.S.). From my experience and understanding, the hate is based of pure ignorance. Upon hearing the word "Shia", people already start making judgments about others without knowing anything about the term or what it means, leaving the history and background to another grounds. Rather than picking up a book or researching what "Shia" stems from, the people love to hate because thats what they've been taught. You didn't do anything wrong, however, what I've adopted to is introducing myself as a Muslim, not Sunni or Shia. If you look at the actions of a person and then base it back on to their religious view, people can understand that our lifestyle, if living it in a pious manner lol, stems from the people who taught it to us, the Ahlulbayt (A.S.). 

(salam)

Well sis, this is what happens. One has to cope with every type of situation here. You will find cutter sunnis respecting shias, as well as thoses

knowing nothing about sunnism loathing shias more. May be I am lucky, living in a place which may be called anti-shia stronghold, I faced very

little like you faced. I made great friends who look shiaism as a sect of Islam, not kafirs. I prayed in sunni mosques, in my sunni friends' places,

nobody even uttered a word. I once got a guy who knew nothing and acted as if he knows all about shias, and I told him to go study, otherwise

keep his mouth shut. He followed my advice and kept his mouth shut afterwards.

The cause of this hatred is ignorance as the brother mentioned above, plus ones own longing to know the truth. Most people who do indulge

in such hate stuff do this for sort of fun, a cheap entertainment, never interested to know about themselves, let alone others. So stay calm and

enjoy Ramzan.

Guest LadyNadine

I think this way all the time. My best friend is a sunni, I grew up with girls who were sunni and my aunt married one. I never had a problem with sunni. If people have a problem with you, it isn't your problem, it is theirs. Embrace who you are and inshallah you will meet the right girl.

Well, haters gon' hate. Whether you're sunni or shia. There are shias who hate on sunnis and vice versa. All you gotta do is just stick to your iman and read alot of quran and it will strenghthen you to the point where you won't care what anyone thinks except for Allah. Just surround yourself with positives. Forget about the hate, all you'll get from it is stress. That's like me when I used to be so frustrated about westerners' hatred against muslims.