Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salam Bros/Sisters,

InshaAllah your Ramadhan is blessed.

I've been reading various spiritual posts on SC and thought you might have a clue to a few things I wanted to ask about.

1. I try reading Ziarat-e-Ashura daily. Now I want to read Ziarat-e-Ashura for certain days for some special dua to Allah swt. Do you know the procedure? Do I have to say 100 Laan and 100 salams? Does it has to be 40 days? Can it be for say 3 days or 10 days? If one of you have a particular procedure written somewhere, please do share.

2. Those of you who have witnessed one, what ONE specific act which caused you to receive the noor of Allah swt? Was it your Istighfar or Shukr or Salat or any particula Dua that you read every day, or your lowering your gaze, or your some particualr civil service?

Thanks for reading and responding.

(salam)

Alhumdolillah Ramadan is going very blessed, the fact that He s.w.t has bestowed this opportunity to fast and focus on Him s.w.t more, is a huge blessing in itself! As for your second point, I started to focus on Salat ul Layl and try to pray it more regularly and I noticed I felt more God conscious that I was ever before. It truly is an unbelievable treasure that we have. Also, in terms of materialistic pursuits, I began concentrating my attention to one of the names of Allah s.w.t i.e Ya Ghaniyyu and made it a point to recite it after fajar regularly and all other times whenever I could remember and at the same time trying to understand the meaning of this particular name of Allah s.w.t. And not long after, my wish was granted, All praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds!

And I just remembered, this dua (number 22 from Sahif e Sajjadiya Supplication in Hardship, Effort, and Difficult Affairs ) helped me in trying circumstances. 

Edited by wayfarer.

the fact that you are wanting to get closer to God is a guidance from God, and guidance is light of God shining on your heart

"seeing" things like lights etc, is not seen with the eyes, feeling spiritual is not achieved in moments or even days, i dont want to discourage you, but usually you are supposed to prepare yourself to meet the month of Ramdhan, hence why Rajab and Shabaan is highly encouraged to fast

the good things is you can start from now to prepare yourself spiritually for next season of spirituality next Rajab, Shabaan, month Ramadhan

also spirituality has layers , and you must activate each part of you in order to get the resultant God consciousness

firstly you must learn your religion and know it like a scholar, so you know recommendations and you know the rules of Islam , however as you begin learning it doesnt mean you cannot begin moving, because while your learning you must start training your body, things like implementing the foundations, pray on time, lower the gaze, curb your anger, curb your appetites, read Quran, basically become a proper practicing Muslim

once you have implemented this and changed your life style to be proper Muslim, you can take a shot at the higher stages

the hardest thing in the world is spirituality, because it means sacrificing yourself to God, and that means all your desires all your whims, all your emotions and feelings everything so that you become a mirror of God's commandments 

You must also exert yourself in doing good(to the best of your ability and time etc) 

Once all of this has become habitual so that it makes who you are, by then i guarantee you that you will be "seeing" lights 

There is nothing wrong with reading Ziyarat Ashura etc for gaining spirituality, and it is highly encouraged, but keep in mind that faith is in the heart and requires your whole body and time to participate in obedience to God

this is one of those things that God doesnt give it so easily, many people perhaps even practice all of what i have said above every day but yet still nothing has happened for them in the sense of gift from God 

Edited by yukapuka2

the fact that you are wanting to get closer to God is a guidance from God, and guidance is light of God shining on your heart

"seeing" things like lights etc, is not seen with the eyes, feeling spiritual is not achieved in moments or even days, i dont want to discourage you, but usually you are supposed to prepare yourself to meet the month of Ramdhan, hence why Rajab and Shabaan is highly encouraged to fast

the good things is you can start from now to prepare yourself spiritually for next season of spirituality next Rajab, Shabaan, month Ramadhan

also spirituality has layers , and you must activate each part of you in order to get the resultant God consciousness

firstly you must learn your religion and know it like a scholar, so you know recommendations and you know the rules of Islam , however as you begin learning it doesnt mean you cannot begin moving, because while your learning you must start training your body, things like implementing the foundations, pray on time, lower the gaze, curb your anger, curb your appetites, read Quran, basically become a proper practicing Muslim

once you have implemented this and changed your life style to be proper Muslim, you can take a shot at the higher stages

the hardest thing in the world is spirituality, because it means sacrificing yourself to God, and that means all your desires all your whims, all your emotions and feelings everything so that you become a mirror of God's commandments 

You must also exert yourself in doing good(to the best of your ability and time etc) 

Once all of this has become habitual so that it makes who you are, by then i guarantee you that you will be "seeing" lights 

There is nothing wrong with reading Ziyarat Ashura etc for gaining spirituality, and it is highly encouraged, but keep in mind that faith is in the heart and requires your whole body and time to participate in obedience to God

this is one of those things that God doesnt give it so easily, many people perhaps even practice all of what i have said above every day but yet still nothing has happened for them in the sense of gift from God

Salam, I was hoping that you would comment. Thanks a lot.

salaams bro... I'm very much starting out on this journey, but alhumdoillah many things have helped...

I should add that many times i've tried, but failed and returned to the normal life, but alhumdoillah this time it is different so far...

Keep in mind some aspects you have to start small and in other bigs. In terms of haram and wajibats, you go big, you go for everything. In terms of recommended acts, go small, don't burden yourself with things you find boring or where you have to really force yourself to complete.

1. First thing I did was to set a goal for myself, that I would dedicate myself for 40 days to Allah swt, we have traditions which support this. I told myself that no matter what happens, no matter what thought comes to my mind, I won't swerve from my obedience to Allah swt. This means not doing any haram at all... not watching tv or movies, means lowering your gaze, means no lieing, backbiting, or insulting. Not being harsh or angry with anyone. It meant for me that I had to control myself on the road and be respectful whereas normally I would act like an animal due to road rage (very very difficult to do this at the beginning, but i would force myself to drive behind the slowest person on the road to get used to this... alhumdoillah it worked, but still a struggle sometimes). It means complete and total obedience of your entire body and limbs for the sake of Allah swt.

Of course i've made mistakes along the way, but always trying to do the things listed above as much as possible.

2. Brother yukpuka was a huge inspiration in this, the biggest help of all I got was from reducing how much I eat. We have instructions from Ahlulbayt which say eat only when hungry, and don't eat to your stomach's fill (stop eating while you still desire food). There were some days that I ended up eating more to stomach's fill and the negative spiritual effects were instantaneous.

3. As someone mentioned above, salatul layl. At the beginning I was reading salatul layl before I would go to sleep at night because I knew I wouldn't be able to wake up in the middle of the night. However about 2 weeks into my 40 days, I started sometimes waking up at night, and alhumdolillah now I pray in the middle of the night. I should also add that I would read what I call the fast forward version of salatul layl at the beginning and even now sometimes... try to balance difficulty with moderation. There isn't much point in making worship a huge burden on yourself. If you find reading ziarat ashura with 100 times of each of that part difficult and boring, then it won't really help you but hurt you... so as I mentioned above, go small and be consistent in this first 40 day cycle. Eventually your ability to worship longer will increase on it's own with the Grace of Allah swt.

4. Also already mentioned, reading minimum 50 verses of Quran (with translation if you don't speak arabic).

Apart from these, there are some given... such as praying on time and doing all wajibats.

These have been the most helpful, and if you do this you will not regret it... I can't say I have supernatural experiences or that i've seen the unseen or anything of that sort, but thoughts and feelings of the heart to confirm that I'm on the right track. Your heart will begin to feel more content for sure and your doubts will become less. There'll be some days that you'll feel like rubbish and as if your connection to Allah swt is not there... you'll feel like giving up and it will feel like torture. just get through them patiently and you'll see the results.

I should add that where ever you can do even small things to oppose your nafs for the sake of Allah swt, try to do so... e.g. waiting in line, be patient. stop drinking your favorite drink. if you do small things, you'll see your nafs protest and get exposed, and you'll slowly see what you are dealing with.

Most important advice that I try to follow, don't give up. Make up your mind, steady your feet, and don't ever go back. Tell yourself no matter what, this is it.

Yukapuka has been a great inspiration, I read through all of his previous posts, check them out.

Edited by khamosh21

I would also like to recommend you to do a "What to do list" in this month, where you decide which amaals' you should do. Not the whole MONTH, but after dhur salah, sit down and write down, what you want to do until iftar - it helps a lot, and I can help you a bit.

(It is also good to write timings, e.g 15.00 Quran 15:30 Lecture

etc.

Well, when you write this list I would recommend you to have atleast these with you:

1. Duaa iftitah (typically at night)

2. One hours reflection (go outside and just reflect - one hours of reflection is better than one year of ibadah')

3. Do the days mustahabat salah (go inside duas.org and click on the day, and a salah will emerge, pray that salah, if you like to)

4. Hear a lecture.. I will recommend you Sayed Ammar Nakshawanis new lectures, they are great :D

5. You can also put other things, e.g "Going to supermarket 16.00), and " Read duaa 18.00" Etc..

I mean, so you know which amaals' you will do today, it can help, try it out..

salaams bro... I'm very much starting out on this journey, but alhumdoillah many things have helped...

I should add that many times i've tried, but failed and returned to the normal life, but alhumdoillah this time it is different so far...

Keep in mind some aspects you have to start small and in other bigs. In terms of haram and wajibats, you go big, you go for everything. In terms of recommended acts, go small, don't burden yourself with things you find boring or where you have to really force yourself to complete.

1. First thing I did was to set a goal for myself, that I would dedicate myself for 40 days to Allah swt, we have traditions which support this. I told myself that no matter what happens, no matter what thought comes to my mind, I won't swerve from my obedience to Allah swt. This means not doing any haram at all... not watching tv or movies, means lowering your gaze, means no lieing, backbiting, or insulting. Not being harsh or angry with anyone. It meant for me that I had to control myself on the road and be respectful whereas normally I would act like an animal due to road rage (very very difficult to do this at the beginning, but i would force myself to drive behind the slowest person on the road to get used to this... alhumdoillah it worked, but still a struggle sometimes). It means complete and total obedience of your entire body and limbs for the sake of Allah swt.

Of course i've made mistakes along the way, but always trying to do the things listed above as much as possible.

2. Brother yukpuka was a huge inspiration in this, the biggest help of all I got was from reducing how much I eat. We have instructions from Ahlulbayt which say eat only when hungry, and don't eat to your stomach's fill (stop eating while you still desire food). There were some days that I ended up eating more to stomach's fill and the negative spiritual effects were instantaneous.

3. As someone mentioned above, salatul layl. At the beginning I was reading salatul layl before I would go to sleep at night because I knew I wouldn't be able to wake up in the middle of the night. However about 2 weeks into my 40 days, I started sometimes waking up at night, and alhumdolillah now I pray in the middle of the night. I should also add that I would read what I call the fast forward version of salatul layl at the beginning and even now sometimes... try to balance difficulty with moderation. There isn't much point in making worship a huge burden on yourself. If you find reading ziarat ashura with 100 times of each of that part difficult and boring, then it won't really help you but hurt you... so as I mentioned above, go small and be consistent in this first 40 day cycle. Eventually your ability to worship longer will increase on it's own with the Grace of Allah swt.

4. Also already mentioned, reading minimum 50 verses of Quran (with translation if you don't speak arabic).

Apart from these, there are some given... such as praying on time and doing all wajibats.

These have been the most helpful, and if you do this you will not regret it... I can't say I have supernatural experiences or that i've seen the unseen or anything of that sort, but thoughts and feelings of the heart to confirm that I'm on the right track. Your heart will begin to feel more content for sure and your doubts will become less. There'll be some days that you'll feel like rubbish and as if your connection to Allah swt is not there... you'll feel like giving up and it will feel like torture. just get through them patiently and you'll see the results.

I should add that where ever you can do even small things to oppose your nafs for the sake of Allah swt, try to do so... e.g. waiting in line, be patient. stop drinking your favorite drink. if you do small things, you'll see your nafs protest and get exposed, and you'll slowly see what you are dealing with.

Most important advice that I try to follow, don't give up. Make up your mind, steady your feet, and don't ever go back. Tell yourself no matter what, this is it.

Yukapuka has been a great inspiration, I read through all of his previous posts, check them out.

Thanks for the constant flattery, but all your achievements have been from your self and you have yourself to thank for it and God. Also you really nailed it with all the instructions you gave here, well done you have understood the fundamentals of the nafs. 

The day you forget and stop thinking about signs and things, you will get it, thats how it happened with me, in fact this is a sign of yourself trying to come through, but one day you will snap and that desire for anything but God will vanish and God will give you the signs you need. 

Also this verse of the Quran explains it clearly:

Allah will not leave the believers in the state in which you are now, until He distinguishes the wicked from the good. Nor will Allah disclose to you the secrets of the Ghaib (unseen), but Allah chooses of His Messengers whom He pleases. So believe in Allah and His Messengers. And if you believe and fear Allah, then for you there is a great reward.

so as you can see, until all evil is gone, there will be no "secrets of the Ghaib" and to be honest with you its not even important, the greatest thing God can give you is this love which burns brightly in your heart for Him, that is the best gift, it makes you only seek God and nothing can overcome you, no beauty, no taste, nothing

and about failing and returning to the path just remember this beautiful poetry from Rumi

Come, come, whoever you are.

Wanderer, worshipper, lover of living, it doesn't matter

Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Come even if you have broken your vow a thousand times,

Come, yet again, come, come.

Rumi 

in the end our goal is to get to paradise, where all those things we fought against, food, temptations, etc will be given to us(in abundance and in the best form and taste) and we will look at this life and laugh at how we made such a big deal over nothing 

Edited by yukapuka2

Thanks for the constant flattery, but all your achievements have been from your self and you have yourself to thank for it and God. Also you really nailed it with all the instructions you gave here, well done you have understood the fundamentals of the nafs. 

The day you forget and stop thinking about signs and things, you will get it, thats how it happened with me, in fact this is a sign of yourself trying to come through, but one day you will snap and that desire for anything but God will vanish and God will give you the signs you need. 

Also this verse of the Quran explains it clearly:Allah will not leave the believers in the state in which you are now, until He distinguishes the wicked from the good. Nor will Allah disclose to you the secrets of the Ghaib (unseen), but Allah chooses of His Messengers whom He pleases. So believe in Allah and His Messengers. And if you believe and fear Allah, then for you there is a great reward.

so as you can see, until all evil is gone, there will be no "secrets of the Ghaib" and to be honest with you its not even important, the greatest thing God can give you is this love which burns brightly in your heart for Him, that is the best gift, it makes you only seek God and nothing can overcome you, no beauty, no taste, nothing

and about failing and returning to the path just remember this beautiful poetry from RumiCome, come, whoever you are.Wanderer, worshipper, lover of living, it doesn't matterOurs is not a caravan of despair.Come even if you have broken your vow a thousand times,Come, yet again, come, come.

Rumi 

in the end our goal is to get to paradise, where all those things we fought against, food, temptations, etc will be given to us(in abundance and in the best form and taste) and we will look at this life and laugh at how we made such a big deal over nothing

I always thought Jannah is a side benefit, the real goal is the pleasure and closeness of Allah swt and his Hujjat (as) InshaAllah. Even seeing the unseen is not my goal. I care less if I see the reality of things, a total mute point for me, as long as none of my actions hurt the feelings of my Imam anymore and some of my actions cause him pleasure.

I remember I had forsaken just one bad habit a year ago and someone I believe is an arif told me out of the blue that he sees light of Allah swt on my face. I did not pay attention but then I thought that one bad habit that I had quit might have caused it. I sort of came back to my old ways but am trying again to do that and more in this Ramadhan. May Allah help me as for some things the motivation was not there until yesterday I read some parts of the book Lantern of the Path again.

Thanks to all those who commented.

Also this verse of the Quran explains it clearly:

Allah will not leave the believers in the state in which you are now, until He distinguishes the wicked from the good. Nor will Allah disclose to you the secrets of the Ghaib (unseen), but Allah chooses of His Messengers whom He pleases. So believe in Allah and His Messengers. And if you believe and fear Allah, then for you there is a great reward.

alright bro, enough of the flattery :) but ahumdoillah Allah swt made you the wasila to wake me up, hope you will accept that :)

Hmm... when I think of the unseen, it is not about getting the secrets of future or supernatural abilities. I'm really interested in knowing the state of my own affairs, i want certainty in faith, my barzakhi status, certainty in the existence of Allah swt, and the ability to recognize Him. All the problems in life occur because I'm not certain of His hand and His role in the affairs. That is how I think of marifa/gnosis... not stuff about unseen.

Although if i get to see angles and listen to the trees praising Allah swt, that would of course be an added bonus ;)

I always thought Jannah is a side benefit, the real goal is the pleasure and closeness of Allah swt and his Hujjat (as) InshaAllah. Even seeing the unseen is not my goal. I care less if I see the reality of things, a total mute point for me, as long as none of my actions hurt the feelings of my Imam anymore and some of my actions cause him pleasure.

I remember I had forsaken just one bad habit a year ago and someone I believe is an arif told me out of the blue that he sees light of Allah swt on my face. I did not pay attention but then I thought that one bad habit that I had quit might have caused it. I sort of came back to my old ways but am trying again to do that and more in this Ramadhan. May Allah help me as for some things the motivation was not there until yesterday I read some parts of the book Lantern of the Path again.

Thanks to all those who commented.

alright bro, enough of the flattery :) but ahumdoillah Allah swt made you the wasila to wake me up, hope you will accept that :)

Hmm... when I think of the unseen, it is not about getting the secrets of future or supernatural abilities. I'm really interested in knowing the state of my own affairs, i want certainty in faith, my barzakhi status, certainty in the existence of Allah swt, and the ability to recognize Him. All the problems in life occur because I'm not certain of His hand and His role in the affairs. That is how I think of marifa/gnosis... not stuff about unseen.

Although if i get to see angles and listen to the trees praising Allah swt, that would of course be an added bonus ;)

The reason why i mentioned that our goal is Jannah is because when you become acquianted and really DISCOVER God, you wont be looking anymore at yourself as being anything to him, so you will just go with what God wants for you, God is too great for us, we are nothing in comparison and of course this cannot be known except through the heart and when it is know, you just go "sigh what was i thinking?" its like seeing mount everest time a million and realizing that you are not anything compared to it and just go with what "IT" decides, no reason to be smart

even thinking things like "i want to be closer to God" is almost an insult to say to Him or think of Him, kind of like going to a great king and saying "I am going to become known to you" as if you are something and someone

its hard to explain but anyway if you succeed inshllah in getting to know yourself and then getting to know God you will see what i mean, you will just realize i am only this litle tiny thing which has no control even of my breathing, and God is this infinite being whom we want to come to as if we have some kind of status or something God needs

heck if you get to witness this world alone with your heart you will be flabergasted and overcome with an awe of stupor which will paralyze you into inexistance, let alone witnessing God , that is how a person becomes wiped of the wordl of existance into something i dont even know or can know, it renders you insignificant so that even things like "I want to be closer to GOD" becomes such a silly statment to even consider and almoust feels blasphemous to say or think

Edited by yukapuka2