Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Cure Loneliness Now!

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam respected brothers/sisters!

Loneliness, can be caused due to many reasons. Most of the time it results in depression and other forms of mental illnesses.

Q: What are ways in which a subject can recover from such a condition through an islamic approach?

Sample Case: A girl becomes attached to her fiance`, they break up, then she finds herself struggling to move on. Memories of him will cause her to feel certain depressed emotions and other mental problems. 

Sincerely appreciate your time and efforts.

Peace!

Edited by Anisa Bandeh Khoda

truly with the remembrance of Allah; hearts are secure- 13:28.

Allah said himself that with only the remembrance of Allah hearts will feel happiness and secure. praying, reading duas, and reflecting on ones religion is a step away from worldly issues. especially in this holy month of Ramadan; Allah gave us this month to give our full energy into his remembrance.

to not focus on that one thing that gives depression is a step and seeking knowledge and consciousness from Allah is another.  

• Advanced Member

Salam respected brothers/sisters!

Loneliness, can be caused due to many reasons. Most of the time it results in depression and other forms of mental illnesses.

Q: What are ways in which a subject can recover from such a condition through an islamic approach?

Sample Case: A girl becomes attached to her fiance`, they break up, then she finds herself struggling to move on. Memories of him will cause her to feel certain depressed emotions and other mental problems. 

Sincerely appreciate your time and efforts.

Peace!

Salvador Dali, one of my favourite artists often spoke about memories. He said that the worst memories will fade eventually but the good times will always haunt you through eternity. I am afraid that religion, quranic verses and lectures won't solve all your problems. They aren't there to solve your problems anyway, only there for assurance. My best advice would be to just take it as a learning experince. You found love, something not everyone finds but searches for. She just misses the feeling of love, to have someone she can depend on. Just accept it and move on. No need to be a Juliet or a romeo after it. Crying and depression won't win you love, but misery. And every decision Allah(swt) takes is best for you, maybe in the future you wouldn't have worked out so that's why he ended it in the short term instead of pushing you through the long term. There is something always better waiting for you around the corner, don't fret and look for it. ;) Wasalam.

Salvador Dali, one of my favourite artists often spoke about memories. He said that the worst memories will fade eventually but the good times will always haunt you through eternity. I am afraid that religion, quranic verses and lectures won't solve all your problems. They aren't there to solve your problems anyway, only there for assurance. My best advice would be to just take it as a learning experince. You found love, something not everyone finds but searches for. She just misses the feeling of love, to have someone she can depend on. Just accept it and move on. No need to be a Juliet or a romeo after it. Crying and depression won't win you love, but misery. And every decision Allah(swt) takes is best for you, maybe in the future you wouldn't have worked out so that's why he ended it in the short term instead of pushing you through the long term. There is something always better waiting for you around the corner, don't fret and look for it. ;) Wasalam.

saying that religion wont help is disbelieving in Allah and his Quran; only his true lovers will find happiness in him and his Quran and the duas that praise his greatness.
  • Advanced Member

(wasalam)

I cannot say much about a cure. I have been suffering from depression for quite a while. However, I find that keeping active in charitable activities and generally working is very much helpful. Its a distraction more or less. I read Qu'ran, do Du3a, I even pray all nafilah prayers each day.. but loneliness is bitter and it bites hard.. It is worse if you do not have great friends around you.. but yes, personally I find work a distraction.. Sometimes its good to take it as a blessing.. even though it is completely nothing in comparison,  but it allows you to get a slight feel of the grand scale of loneliness Amir Al Mumineen Ali ibn Abu Talib (as) could have felt after the passing of Prophet Muhammad (saw) and Seyeda Fatima (as).. Its helps to look at it that way too.. 

I apologies if I have said anything wrong.. 

salam. 

Edited by 3alii

Can you define or explain the difference between an Islamic and non Islamic approach?. What kind of examples or advice you expecting, assuming the question implies you already know the answer?.

Your friend is not suffering from depression and neither is going to go into a state of mental illness. Unless prolonged for years like a good novel. She is suffering from a broken heart and it all depends on how her close companions help her through it. But the constant guilt trip wont help. The fact is, this is reality, things happen and we have to learn to get over it and move on.

Though one good advice, from WW2 doctors, who found depressed soldiers, was to keep them constantly occupied. This distraction keeps them occupied, tired and removes the negative thoughts. In idleness is where the mind is reminded, similar to when we are fasting, if we are occupied, we forget the thirst.

Good advice is : Keep a normal routine, no [Edited Out]py love songs, keep up prayer and supplication, remember the end result, education, future, the more time you waste, this will cause lag and plenty of laughter. Its no ones fault, just move on. It will take time but people can get over it.

Your friend is young, plenty of fish in the sea, etc. I suggest google and reading upon similar cases, there are thousands. Good luck.

PenofTruth - Religion does not always help depression and mental illness, neither does it mean disbelief. Quality of care is dependent on environment, help, advice and even the distance of time, good things occur. You are assuming that people who suffer these illness, are disbelievers, because they can not get out of their illness. All Religion does is, allow ill individuals to have patience and possibly a few who get better over time, again based on good circumstances. Yes they will attribute it to their prayers. Please observe the real world and see real cases. The question we could argue is, the case of two ill persons and as to why does the prayer of one gets excepted over the other. Quite a complex story here. And we do know the answer, the test is different or individuals around them, do not know how to help. It is akin to me going to a poor starving person in african and saying it's all good friend, instead of food here is a book to read. Is it going to work?

Edited by D3v1L
  • Advanced Member

saying that religion wont help is disbelieving in Allah and his Quran; only his true lovers will find happiness in him and his Quran and the duas that praise his greatness.

I am not saying it isn't helping, I said religion is assurance. Don't be befooled into thinking religion will solve all your problems instantly there partner. Only you can solve your problems yourself.

In the example you gave, she is going through normal grief of break up. If this persists for 2 weeks then its considered major depressive episode, and if it lasts for 6 months then it becomes Adjustment disorder in which case they will need help.

We all go through grief, and our body is programmed to use its immature defenses to overcome that. Family/friends support is probably the best solution during the early phase. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

I think the best way to get rid of loneliness is too constantly keep your mind occupied with something else. For instance, find extracurricular activities, and do not stay in the house by yourself. I think the worst thing to do is to stay home, especially if you do not have any work. You will just think about it repeatedly until you become so depressed.

Few Examples: Exercising, window shopping, going to masjed, going out with friends